RemedySpot.com

Re: Wednesday: P90 + rotation & HRM lessons learned

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Way to get your workout in !!!I'm glad you are also getting your heart rate monitor figured out :) For me, I don't pay any attention to " the zone " , and I just work as hard as I can. A calorie is a calorie, and you simply burn more when you are working harder. PLUS, I simply love working out to the max. Of course, I don't do this every day, but most days anyway :)

Darcy

Today I finally got my workout in at 7:45 PM. I hate working out that late, usually 7:30 is my max latest start time and I would normally blow off a workout if I were starting after 7:30 BUT... I'm doing this rotation... this rotation is making me (less than 1 week into it anyway) VERY committed to sticking with my workout plan. Tomorrow is my super busy day (leaving my house at 9 AM for work and coming home for lunch then going to work at another location and not coming home until at least 8 PM) and the only time I have to work out is in the morning before work. It is also an early day and, with everyone home, I've been staying up way too late and sleeping in. Once again, normally, I would blow off the workout BUT tomorrow I'm getting up much earlier than I have all during the holiday break and am going to work out before work! I'll end up with about 12 hours between workouts! (That's my rotation lesson learned so far.)

I did Sweat Cardio 1-2 today. I like knowing MWF is cardio, TTHS is sculpt. I might keep that as a generic sort of rotation after this is done. It is just nice knowing that since today is Monday it is cardio. I had my HRM strap set just right, it stayed in place beautifully so this was my first workout using it. I had it set, using the Own Zone feature, to moderate (70-80% of max HR) and the alarm seemed to be going off constantly! I was in the light zone (60-70% of max HR) for the warm up and cool down and stretch, sometimes during the kick boxing section (but I was in my zone most often during that part, which surprised me, more on that later) and noticed I was in the hard zone, above my target for most of the rest of it, starting from the power yoga until the kickboxing and kept trying to bring it down by using less intense moves but I felt like I was fighting and a lot of times I just let the alarm keep beeping. I felt like I was jumping all over the place with the monitor, trying to tone down my movements or bring them up and I think next time, it will be a lot more comfortable because I'll know more of what's going on. I was surprised, with as much as it beeped when I went too high, that I only ended up with 8 min 36 sec in the hard zone, 17:50 in my target zone and 22:15 in the light zone (the workout is only 36 minutes but I think the extra time came from the own zone calculating and not turning off the monitor right away probably?). I was a little disappointed to see so much in the light zone but am trying to hold off on coming to any conclusions about my " achievements " until I have at least one more time with this workout and the HRM for comparison. I ended up burning 208 calories. Not sure if I am surprised, pleased or what. Again, will compare when I do this one again Friday and will start to get a better idea of what to expect. On a separate note, I also worked very hard on the plank to pushup to updog to downdog parts during the power yoga and was very pleased with my progress there. I think all the pushups in circuit sculpt yesterday may have helped with that.

Anyway, as part of my HR lessons learned, I did a search on target heart rates wanting to better understand what the various zones do for your body (the Polar book didn't explain it clearly enough for me). I found this link: http://walking.about.com/cs/fitnesswalking/a/hrmworkouts.htm and learned from the links to different zones that I was misinterpreting the information I was getting from perceived exertion or talk test models. When I was in the hard zone on my monitor, I was breathing very hard and could talk but in very short sentences. For some reason, I thought, because I could use sentences (albeit short ones) and not just a quick word or two at a time in between breaths that this meant I was in the moderate zone and that if I could talk fairly well while breathing hard that it meant I was in the light zone (I guess not breathing hard at all meant I was in the dead zone???). I don't normally talk while I work out (except to yell at the TV every once in a while) and sometimes will say a few words to get an idea of where I'm at... guess I've been wrong most of the time! That means the kickboxing part, which I thought was so light was actually in the moderate zone. Looking back it was a very comfortable pace that I could have sustained for quite a while and enjoyed the workout a lot at that pace. The power yoga and part right after it that I thought were very tough really were and I wasn't just being wimpy by feeling like I couldn't sustain that pace for much longer than that part of the workout lasted. It was very enlightening. I can't wait to try Kathy 's Peak Fat Burning with this on, I might break the monitor I breathe so hard during those intervals (I will definitely have it set to the hard zone for that one so that I don't have to listen to the out of zone alarm through most of the workout). Will also be interesting to try it with one of my 's to see where it comes out then. This is so entertaining too!

Will put on the HRM again for sculpt tomorrow morning. Will be interesting to see what kind of numbers I get from that. Will probably turn off the alarm though because I don't care what zone I'm in for that and don't want to have to listen to the alarm so much!

in VERY cold Michigan (-1 in my area) and who needs to go to bed soon so I can get up to work out early

So proud of you for sticking to your agenda in spite of the later hour!

I agree that cardio MWF and strength T/Th is a very good general plan!

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Thanks !!

Re: Wednesday: P90 + rotation & HRM lessons learned

So proud of you for sticking to your agenda in spite of the later hour!I agree that cardio MWF and strength T/Th is a very good general plan!Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile