RemedySpot.com

Re: Snow shoveling workout

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Good going, ! Shoveling is a good workout - I'm hoping that i don't have to do any this year as it is certainly not a "back friendly" workout. We don't get all that much snow here - rarely will we get a major storm - I think the last major one was in 2003 (knock wood that we don't get one now that I'm jinxing us!) that one may have been a foot or more. The rest of the time we get 4, 6 inches maybe two or three times in a winter. The bad thing around here is that it is often borderline temperature-wise, so we tend to get ice or an ice/snow mix and that is murder to shovel b/c it is soo heavy!

We did cookie decorating today - I'm wiped out now. We were supposed to have 4 kids over, plus my DD, but turned out only one could make it - and I think that was a blessing! :)

Donna

Subject: Snow shoveling workoutTo: exercisevideos Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 8:36 PM

I had on my heart rate monitor because I was planning, all day, to work out and just never did get downstairs. I did finally get my butt off my couch though and shoveled the front walk, porch, back porch and part of the back patio. Just 20 minutes of shoveling and I burned over 100 calories! The guy who plows our driveway was supposed to come tonight but his truck broke down and he needs to fix it tomorrow so who knows when he is coming. If I need some fresh air tomorrow (and a break from being with the family 24/7) I'm heading outside to shovel some of that foot of snow on our long driveway (which is why I haven't already started on it, not with that much snow anyway)!

So, I didn't do a video workout but shoveling felt good. It wasn't too cold (20s) and it was peaceful. I didn't do it long enough to get tired, just energized. This evening I started painting some sweatshirts for the kids for Christmas, just have to finish them tomorrow. We're going to bake cookies too while we wait for our pal with the plow.

Hi Donna!

This is one of the biggest storms we've had in years though we did have one that was close, if not the same last year. I remember huge snow falls when I was a kid, one blocked all the doors to our house. Luckily we were able to get the garage door up so we could get out and shovel the snow away from the other doors. That borderline temp with really heavy, wet snow is awful to shovel and the ice is horrible! The good thing about this one was that it is powder so it is light (but 12 inches worth, or more in spots, all piled up is still heavy enough). I was thinking about you and back issues as I shoveled, being very careful to bend my knees and use my legs to push up instead of just bending over and using my back! I also took it in layers so I wasn't carrying too much at any one time.

I did the cookie decorating thing with a whole bunch of kids and parents from church once (at our house). All were under the age of 8 I think and they got bored way too quickly! I'm glad for your sake it was just the 2 kids! My two are very excited to decorate cookies tomorrow and they're thrilled with the way their sweatshirts are coming out. We outlines the appliqués (I did anyway) tonight and tomorrow we can add some details. DD is very into crafts and wants to use white paint to make snow flakes all over. We couldn't tonight because the black outline paint was drying (and it is so easy to get your hand in it and smear it, which I did several times). She also suggested using some red glitter paint for Rudolph's nose (they appliqués are Santa with Rudolph and some toys, 's is a big one and Miriam's is a smaller version) so we did that already. I like how they are turning out and am hesitant to turn her loose on it but then again, it is her shirt so I'm going to work hard to not control everything too much! :-)

told his dad tonight that he likes making cookies because he likes eating the dough. So does his mom unfortunately so a snow shoveling workout might be just what I'll need to do again tomorrow! :-)

Snow shoveling workoutTo: exercisevideos Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 8:36 PM

I had on my heart rate monitor because I was planning, all day, to work out and just never did get downstairs. I did finally get my butt off my couch though and shoveled the front walk, porch, back porch and part of the back patio. Just 20 minutes of shoveling and I burned over 100 calories! The guy who plows our driveway was supposed to come tonight but his truck broke down and he needs to fix it tomorrow so who knows when he is coming. If I need some fresh air tomorrow (and a break from being with the family 24/7) I'm heading outside to shovel some of that foot of snow on our long driveway (which is why I haven't already started on it, not with that much snow anyway)!

So, I didn't do a video workout but shoveling felt good. It wasn't too cold (20s) and it was peaceful. I didn't do it long enough to get tired, just energized. This evening I started painting some sweatshirts for the kids for Christmas, just have to finish them tomorrow. We're going to bake cookies too while we wait for our pal with the plow.

Hi , we got about 8" where I live, which was enough for us since we have to wait for our maintenance guys to come to dig us out of our court! UGH. I stayed inside because I'm still trying to get over the stomach flu I got on Monday. I feel better but I'm still weak and my stomach isn't back to normal yet. In 1974 we had that BIG snow! I still remember it. There was so much snow that it knocked down the wire fences when they stack huge piles of snow against it. We got a day off of school because of it and I thought I was in HEAVEN! Jen

From: DeWolf <nancydewolf@ sbcglobal. net>Subject: Snow shoveling workoutTo: exercisevideos@ yahoogroups. comDate: Friday, December 19, 2008, 8:36 PM

Isn't global warming a wonderful thing??? :-)

Kathy

From: exercisevideos [mailto:exercisevideos ] On Behalf Of DeWolfSent: Friday, December 19, 2008 9:36 PMTo: exercisevideos Subject: Re: Snow shoveling workout

Hi Donna!

This is one of the biggest storms we've had in years though we did have one that was close, if not the same last year. I remember huge snow falls when I was a kid, one blocked all the doors to our house. Luckily we were able to get the garage door up so we could get out and shovel the snow away from the other doors. That borderline temp with really heavy, wet snow is awful to shovel and the ice is horrible! The good thing about this one was that it is powder so it is light (but 12 inches worth, or more in spots, all piled up is still heavy enough). I was thinking about you and back issues as I shoveled, being very careful to bend my knees and use my legs to push up instead of just bending over and using my back! I also took it in layers so I wasn't carrying too much at any one time.

I did the cookie decorating thing with a whole bunch of kids and parents from church once (at our house). All were under the age of 8 I think and they got bored way too quickly! I'm glad for your sake it was just the 2 kids! My two are very excited to decorate cookies tomorrow and they're thrilled with the way their sweatshirts are coming out. We outlines the appliqués (I did anyway) tonight and tomorrow we can add some details. DD is very into crafts and wants to use white paint to make snow flakes all over. We couldn't tonight because the black outline paint was drying (and it is so easy to get your hand in it and smear it, which I did several times). She also suggested using some red glitter paint for Rudolph's nose (they appliqués are Santa with Rudolph and some toys, 's is a big one and Miriam's is a smaller version) so we did that already. I like how they are turning out and am hesitant to turn her loose on it but then again, it is her shirt so I'm going to work hard to not control everything too much! :-)

told his dad tonight that he likes making cookies because he likes eating the dough. So does his mom unfortunately so a snow shoveling workout might be just what I'll need to do again tomorrow! :-)

Snow shoveling workoutTo: exercisevideos Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 8:36 PM

I couldn't remember what year that was but that makes perfect sense now!

I'm still waiting for my friend's hubby to come plow us out. My son just volunteered to go shovel for a bit so I'm letting him. He won't last long. I'll go out and do some myself later today. (Got my HRM on just waiting for when I want to go out there and reminding me that I WILL too.)

Snow shoveling workoutTo: exercisevideos@ yahoogroups. comDate: Friday, December 19, 2008, 8:36 PM

Hi !

Great job with the shoveling! I usually shovel our deck and the

short sidewalk that goes to the driveway and next to the house. But

I'm with you - when we get a foot at a time, I'm not nearly as

interested in doing it, lol. The nice thing is that the wind drifted

the snow out so that the deck is clear by the house - but the drift

on the rest of the deck is like 2 feet high, lol. DH plows or

snowblows everything anyway, so it's not a big deal if I shovel or

not. :) But I'm SO loving the snow! The dog are having a great

time, and I need to get out and snow show some more paths in the

backyard for them. My other paths are all covered up now. More snow

forecasted for tonight - yippee!!

I liked hearing about your Buns of Steel workouts, too! I just

scored a 3 pack of BOS step workouts the other day. It's good to

know that I may actually be able to follow them. :)

Sending snowflakes!

Sara

>

> I had on my heart rate monitor because I was planning, all day, to

work out and just never did get downstairs. I did finally get my butt

off my couch though and shoveled the front walk, porch, back porch

and part of the back patio. Just 20 minutes of shoveling and I burned

over 100 calories! The guy who plows our driveway was supposed to

come tonight but his truck broke down and he needs to fix it tomorrow

so who knows when he is coming. If I need some fresh air tomorrow

(and a break from being with the family 24/7) I'm heading outside to

shovel some of that foot of snow on our long driveway (which is why I

haven't already started on it, not with that much snow anyway)!

>

> So, I didn't do a video workout but shoveling felt good. It wasn't

too cold (20s) and it was peaceful. I didn't do it long enough to get

tired, just energized. This evening I started painting some

sweatshirts for the kids for Christmas, just have to finish them

tomorrow. We're going to bake cookies too while we wait for our pal

with the plow.

>

>

>

Hi Sara!

I shoveled more today! Did about 35 minutes plus walking to and from the front of my driveway a couple of times through the snow and burned about 200 calories! Didn't get too far with the shoveling, but I was doing it more for the exercise and being outside than anything else. My friend's husband is coming out tomorrow morning sometime to plow us out. He'll laugh when he sees the bit I did. DH thinks I could have managed to do the entire circular portion and long portion from the garage to the road... in about 8 more hours worth of shoveling! Nah... I'll let plow us for $50 instead (it is a big driveway). We're supposed to get 1-3" more tonight too so I'm kind of glad he wasn't able to come out until tomorrow. I thought of you and snow shoeing as I was tramping through the snow to my mailbox. I don't remember it being quite so much of a workout to walk through deep snow from when I was a kid, it was probably just too much fun to be aware of it. Anyway, I was thinking, snow shoes would make this so much easier and more enjoyable too! The good thing though was that in my half hour workout my heart rate was in my training zone for 17 minutes! That's more time than most of my 30 minute video workouts would have done for me!

Which BOS workouts did you get? Will you be doing them in 2009 or do these go into your 2010 rotation?! :-) I was working with my spreadsheet earlier and was just so aware of how many I have that I want to do but haven't yet and actually started thinking about trying to do a plan like yours! We'll see if I go through with it, I doubt it, but you've planted the seed!

Hi !Great job with the shoveling! I usually shovel our deck and the short sidewalk that goes to the driveway and next to the house. But I'm with you - when we get a foot at a time, I'm not nearly as interested in doing it, lol. The nice thing is that the wind drifted the snow out so that the deck is clear by the house - but the drift on the rest of the deck is like 2 feet high, lol. DH plows or snowblows everything anyway, so it's not a big deal if I shovel or not. :) But I'm SO loving the snow! The dog are having a great time, and I need to get out and snow show some more paths in the backyard for them. My other paths are all covered up now. More snow forecasted for tonight - yippee!!I liked hearing about your Buns of Steel workouts, too! I just scored a 3 pack of BOS step workouts the other day. It's good to know that I may actually be able to follow them. :)Sending snowflakes!Sara>> I had on my heart rate monitor because I was planning, all day, to work out and just never did get downstairs. I did finally get my butt off my couch though and shoveled the front walk, porch, back porch and part of the back patio. Just 20 minutes of shoveling and I burned over 100 calories! The guy who plows our driveway was supposed to come tonight but his truck broke down and he needs to fix it tomorrow so who knows when he is coming. If I need some fresh air tomorrow (and a break from being with the family 24/7) I'm heading outside to shovel some of that foot of snow on our long driveway (which is why I haven't already started on it, not with that much snow anyway)!> > So, I didn't do a video workout but shoveling felt good. It wasn't too cold (20s) and it was peaceful. I didn't do it long enough to get tired, just energized. This evening I started painting some sweatshirts for the kids for Christmas, just have to finish them tomorrow. We're going to bake cookies too while we wait for our pal with the plow.> > >

Hi !

Me, too! I shoveled the deck off a little, but now the drift on

there is like 3 feet, so it will probably stay that way for a while,

heh. I shoveled a small path for Bear, since he goes out on his

chain that way. I also shoveled the roof off with our new roof

shovel as best I could while DH was plowing. That was actually a lot

easier than shoveling on the ground, lol!

I know what you mean about the plowing! At my old place I had a huge

driveway, and if my lanlord would not have provided a plow truck I

would have totally paid for one! Our current driveway is also long,

but between DH's plow on the ATV, the snowblower, and the neighbors

tractor with a snowblower we do pretty well. :)

I think snow shoes are WAY fun! We got ours while DH was at school

in the U.P. - as we would walk dogs at the animal shelter on the

weekend. The snow would get SO deep on the trail - like several

feet! The snowshoes made the dog walking even more fun. We haven't

gone to many trails around here, since I can snow shoe in the

backyard for quite a while, lol. Hopefully we can go cross country

skiing sometime soon, too!

I got BOS #2, 6, and 7 - and also have Tamilee's Quick toning dvd. I

think that one has 6 short workouts - maybe the same one you have

mentioned in the past? Yes, I have a Tamilee week penciled in

somewhere in 2009, lol! But the step videos I can add in wherever,

since they are cardio. :) Glad my overplanning inspired you a bit!

I'd love to see your plans if you make some!

Sara

>

> Hi Sara!

>

> I shoveled more today! Did about 35 minutes plus walking to and

from the front of my driveway a couple of times through the snow and

burned about 200 calories! Didn't get too far with the shoveling, but

I was doing it more for the exercise and being outside than anything

else. My friend's husband is coming out tomorrow morning sometime to

plow us out. He'll laugh when he sees the bit I did. DH thinks I

could have managed to do the entire circular portion and long portion

from the garage to the road... in about 8 more hours worth of

shoveling! Nah... I'll let plow us for $50 instead (it is a big

driveway). We're supposed to get 1-3 " more tonight too so I'm kind of

glad he wasn't able to come out until tomorrow. I thought of you and

snow shoeing as I was tramping through the snow to my mailbox. I

don't remember it being quite so much of a workout to walk through

deep snow from when I was a kid, it was probably just too much fun to

be aware of it. Anyway, I was thinking, snow shoes would make this so

much easier and more enjoyable too! The good thing though was that in

my half hour workout my heart rate was in my training zone for 17

minutes! That's more time than most of my 30 minute video workouts

would have done for me!

>

> Which BOS workouts did you get? Will you be doing them in 2009 or

do these go into your 2010 rotation?! :-) I was working with my

spreadsheet earlier and was just so aware of how many I have that I

want to do but haven't yet and actually started thinking about trying

to do a plan like yours! We'll see if I go through with it, I doubt

it, but you've planted the seed!

>

This is exactly why I set my goal of doing all of my videos in 2008. As crazy as it sounds, it was the best goal I made for 2008 because it guaranteed that none of them were getting dusty and that I went through them all! Now I know which ones I'm going to want to pull out more often next year. I say, plan it! DO IT! You can do them all!!! ;)

Tonya

Hi !Great job with the shoveling! I usually shovel our deck and the short sidewalk that goes to the driveway and next to the house. But I'm with you - when we get a foot at a time, I'm not nearly as interested in doing it, lol. The nice thing is that the wind drifted the snow out so that the deck is clear by the house - but the drift on the rest of the deck is like 2 feet high, lol. DH plows or snowblows everything anyway, so it's not a big deal if I shovel or not. :) But I'm SO loving the snow! The dog are having a great time, and I need to get out and snow show some more paths in the backyard for them. My other paths are all covered up now. More snow forecasted for tonight - yippee!!I liked hearing about your Buns of Steel workouts, too! I just scored a 3 pack of BOS step workouts the other day. It's good to know that I may actually be able to follow them. :)Sending snowflakes!Sara>> I had on my heart rate monitor because I was planning, all day, to work out and just never did get downstairs. I did finally get my butt off my couch though and shoveled the front walk, porch, back porch and part of the back patio. Just 20 minutes of shoveling and I burned over 100 calories! The guy who plows our driveway was supposed to come tonight but his truck broke down and he needs to fix it tomorrow so who knows when he is coming. If I need some fresh air tomorrow (and a break from being with the family 24/7) I'm heading outside to shovel some of that foot of snow on our long driveway (which is why I haven't already started on it, not with that much snow anyway)!> > So, I didn't do a video workout but shoveling felt good. It wasn't too cold (20s) and it was peaceful. I didn't do it long enough to get tired, just energized. This evening I started painting some sweatshirts for the kids for Christmas, just have to finish them tomorrow. We're going to bake cookies too while we wait for our pal with the plow.> > >