RemedySpot.com

Re: Answers to some questions... (women on weights)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I was going to jump all over it, but not having a very "edumacated" response to throw in I decided to wait until someone else said something. I'll add that not only does lean muscle burn fat way more efficiently but it also looks much nicer than lumpy fat or loose, untoned muscle that has been revealed when you lose the fat (been there, looked at it, picked up some weights).

MANY women on this list use weights, some quite heavy, on a regular basis and if you look at their pictures at the exercisevideos photos you'll see they do not look like "she-ras". They look GORGEOUS and, even more importantly, very HEALTHY. I am having so much fun seeing definition come to my muscles (not like a body builder, just like a very healthy woman). My husband loves it too! :-)

Weight training, even light resistance, is especially important for women too because it helps to build stronger muscles AND bones. You lose bone density as you age but using weight training will help build bone density making it less likely you'll break bones or get hunched over. Also, having stronger muscles and connective tissue is really healthy for joints.

Perhaps that, with Carolyn's excellent response, might give you some things to at least consider ? You won't look like a she-ra unless you really work extremely hard to look that way (and I assume take supplements too?). You will look well-toned and healthy though.

Okay, I've stepped out on enough of a limb as far as my limited knowledge is concerned, I hope our personal trainers will jump in with more precise information and please correct anything I might have misstated.

Re: Answers to some questions...

wrote:> I did a search on Tony Horton's P90 Cardio and about laughed out of my> seat! I so DO NOT want to be "muscled" up like those males are --> which I know is not possible but honestly?! I also am not too enthused> about using weights. For now I am going to count those out. *giggles*> I am so not a "SHE-RA".hi heather - i thought that the personal trainers in this group would have been all over this....lol....basically, you are not a male, so how could you end up looking like tony?and actually i think that tony looks fabulous...LOL. his health and fitness was actually tested (at 'Centinela Hospital's Fitness Institute' in los angeles) and was deemded to be that of a 27 year old!anyway, it is important to build some muscle... muscles take up less room on your body than fat, and actually burn fat to sustain themselves. so muscles are your friends in a weight loss program!but, as you know, there are many different forms of resistance training and many levels of training from beginner to super advanced.so, keep doing what you are doing... you are doing great!but keep your mind open to using other, perhaps a bit more intense, forms of resistance training to keep your results coming.:*carolyn.

I'm going to jump in on this one, too, even though I'm not a trainer. I *love* weights! They are the A#1 sculpting tool for getting your body to look like you want it to. As and others have pointed out, muscle is a lot denser than fat-- think of a pound of lead compared to a pound of feathers-- and they are just sensually exciting to look at... think of a big cat... they never look muscle bound, but there's nothing more lovely at rest or in motion.

No worries about looking like a She-rah! Professional body-building women a) work out at least 3 hours a day, every day, and sometimes twice! B) are genetically " gifted " to put on a lot of muscle mass (less than 10% of the female population) and c) almost always take steroids, if you're thinking of the big gals who look like men in bikinis and Farrah wigs. This is not my opinion alone, if you read stuff by natural bodybuilders like McLish or Negrita Jayde, they say as much. Too, Corey Everson admitted to taking steroids herself early in her career, before she knew of the pretty horrid side effects.

Even Marilyn Monroe lifted weights-- I have a picture to prove it, and I don't think anyone would accuse her of looking like a She-rah. ;-) So, unless your goal is to compete nationally as a body-builder, no worries!

The clincher for me, though, was learning that a pound of muscle burns 35-50 calories an hour, 24/7, just to maintain itself. A pound of fat? It burns a measly 9, tops! So, the more muscle you have on your body, the more you can eat without adding junk to your trunk!

As for P90X, if you're fit enough for it (take the fitness test on the BeachBody site, and take it seriously!) I say, go for it! I got the program last year, and got more than halfway through before a family emergency and then several injuries (not from exercise!) sidelined me. I'll be going back to it after my contest at the Y.

The results you see on the infomercial *aren't* exaggerated. I've seen photos of several people on non-Beachbody forums who've been able to display before and afters that were just as amazing as the infomercial ones.

HTH!Tess

I was going to jump all over it, but not having a very " edumacated " response to throw in I decided to wait until someone else said something. I'll add that not only does lean muscle burn fat way more efficiently but it also looks much nicer than lumpy fat or loose, untoned muscle that has been revealed when you lose the fat (been there, looked at it, picked up some weights). <snip>

Tess - this is about the best description/explanation I've ever read. THANK

YOU!

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Re: Answers to some questions... (women on weights)

I'm going to jump in on this one, too, even though I'm not a trainer.  I *love*

weights!  They are the A#1 sculpting tool for getting your body to look like you

want it to.  As and others have pointed out, muscle is a lot denser than

fat-- think of a pound of lead compared to a pound of feathers-- and they are

just sensually exciting to look at... think of a big cat...  they never look

muscle bound, but there's nothing more lovely at rest or in motion.

No worries about looking like a She-rah!  Professional body-building women a)

work out at least 3 hours a day, every day, and sometimes twice!  B) are

genetically " gifted " to put on a lot of muscle mass (less than 10% of the female

population)  and c) almost always take steroids, if you're thinking of the big

gals who look like men in bikinis and Farrah wigs.  This is not my opinion

alone, if you read stuff by natural bodybuilders like McLish or Negrita

Jayde, they say as much.  Too, Corey Everson admitted to taking steroids herself

early in her career, before she knew of the pretty horrid side effects.

Even Marilyn Monroe lifted weights-- I have a picture to prove it, and I don't 

think anyone would accuse her of looking like a She-rah. ;-)  So, unless your

goal is to compete nationally as a body-builder, no worries!

The clincher for me, though, was learning that a pound of muscle burns 35-50

calories an hour, 24/7, just to maintain itself.  A pound of fat?  It burns a

measly 9, tops!  So, the more muscle you have on your body, the more you can eat

without adding junk to your trunk!

As for P90X, if you're fit enough for it (take the fitness test on the BeachBody

site, and take it seriously!) I say, go for it!  I got the program last year,

and got more than halfway through before a family emergency and then several

injuries (not from exercise!) sidelined me.  I'll be going back to it after my

contest at the Y.

The results you see on the infomercial *aren't* exaggerated.  I've seen photos

of several people on non-Beachbody forums who've been able to display before and

afters that were just as amazing as the infomercial ones.

HTH!

Tess

On Jan 13, 2008 9:37 AM, nancydewolf <nancydewolf@

sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I was going to jump all over it, but not having a very " edumacated " response to

throw in I decided to wait until someone else said something. I'll add that not

only does lean muscle burn fat way more efficiently but it also looks much nicer

than lumpy fat or loose, untoned muscle that has been revealed when you lose the

fat (been there, looked at it, picked up some weights). <snip>