RemedySpot.com

NANCY and LAURA OT Languages

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Someday I'm going to take Spanish classes, I've always wanted to learn it and I heard that Spanish grammar is similar (in some ways) to American Sign Language. From what I know and what people have told me, you have to have a Masters degree in the subject that you are teachng in order to teach at colleges and universities. I would like to get an MA in Amer. Sign Language and a BA in maybe linguistics but I can't afford to do that now. , where did you get your teaching degree? Would you teach English grammar or literature? Jurious like my cats, Jen nancydewolf wrote: Thanks ! At most stores around here they're normally quite a bit more than a dollar a pound but that's what they are at Play it Again Sports regularly. I don't know if they are having a sale but I can't get there for another week and a half so I figured this would definitely work for me! I will definitely have to look at your file! I've seen the ones with the handles. Do they make pushups harder or easier? PHH doesn't really translate that well because each is body part specific. Since sculpt 1-2 is so upper body heavy I was thinking about doing the 2 PHH lower body workouts once a week but I'd have to do them back to back and I haven't been able to do that yet. Maybe I can now, I have no

idea. I might try Tuesday though. How totally cool about your languages and teaching experience! I have a B.A. in English with a secondary teaching certificate and a minor in Spanish. I'm also certified to teach Spanish at the secondary level but I'd be dangerous. I haven't used it regularly in 20 years and have a very hard time keeping up with understanding spoken Spanish anymore. I'm not sure I could even read novels and poetry without a dictionary close at hand anymore. That is awesome that you even taught in France!! I've heard the stories about university politics. I considered getting my PhD in English and teaching at the university level but decided I didn't want to deal with that. I also didn't have the money for more schooling anyway! :-) I think it is great that you followed your instincts to a stress free 9-5 that lets you fully indulge your hobbies, you are a

success story!! :-) I have no idea what you said in French but I'm sure it was nice! :-) / Neoprene Hi !You got a terrific deal on those dumbells! Normally for the bigger weights they are about a buck a pound. Sweet! I have 15 pounders in Neoprene, but I have many kinds (see my dumbell family essay in the files section - I have an irrational attachment to all of them. My new additions to the family are 2lb weights with handles so I can do pushups with them should I be so inclined - got 'em for $5 at Target)Yeah, I would do Sculpt 3-4 next time. Clearly you sound

bored and unchallenged with 1-2! Is there a PHH you could substitute as well to alleviate boredom?As for the French - my degrees are in French and Spanish, but I'm a thesis short of my Masters in French. I taught French here at PSU and Portland Community College, and I taught English Comprehension in Avignon, France. Long story. I've forgotten a lot because I don't practice enough. I mostly like to use my french for travel and learn history, but university politics both in Portland and in Avignon sickened me from working at a university. Plus you pretty much need a doctorate to teach anything besides French 1 and 2 and I'm just not into the research and papers required to do that. I prefer my 8-5 more or less stress free job and I've never worked one single hour of

overtime. It allows me to pursue my hobbies which fulfill me (Fitness ;)Okay that's more than you probably wanted to know! Á toute à l'heure!Mlle. Kraft

Spanish grammar is similar to many other languages but different from English (which I think is different from every other language in the world, okay, maybe an exaggeration but it is much harder to learn than most other languages). I have no idea about ASL though.

I've heard the same thing as you but I don't know, I assume Miss does though. I thought about getting a degree in linguistics. Loved the classes I took in it. I thought about getting a degree in almost everything though (except math). I love learning!

I got my degree from Michigan State University. My degree is actually a B.A. in English, with a minor in Spanish and a secondary education teaching certificate allowing me to teach English or Spanish for grades 6-12. I detest grammar as a subject unto itself. The only time I ever got less than an A in any English class was the semester in 9th grade where it focused totally on grammar but not integrated into a study of literature and writing which made no sense to me. One of the ways I made money in college was by tutoring other students in writing, including English as a second language students and the ESL students always wanted me to explain things in terms of grammatical rules. That was the only time I wished I'd tried harder that semester but also made me glad to have my Spanish background because I learned more about grammar (English included) through my study of Spanish. In my dream world I have money and time to get my Ph.D. in literature, possibly specializing in English or American 19th century literature (or both), especially focusing on the impact of the industrial revolution on literature and literature on the life of people at that time and the impact of the changes in people's lives reflected in the literature (which I realize sounds kind of like looking into a mirror and trying to write about both the image and the reflection). It would have to be a literature and history program though. I started a thesis in this at MSU many years ago (as an undergrad in the honors college)... I joke that if I ever do get my Ph.D. and teach at a university that the students would think I'd been a professor forever because I'd be so old by then! :-) I've also dreamed of going back to school and getting my M.S. in Occupational Therapy, specializing in sensory integration therapy. I need at least 2 or 3 more lives (and a whole lot more money). I did start a Master's program oodles of years ago in Instructional Systems and Training, which is what most of my pre-kids professional life was about. Hated the program though (it was a LOUSY program but it was closer to my work and home than the much better program which was too far away) so I quit after a year. Pre-kids I could waste money like that I guess! :-) Oh well, I like my life and job now and I don't have any strong desires to do much of anything differently right now (especially not taking on the stress and challenge of grad school) so I'm fine with not actively pursuing either of those educational dreams.

That was my novella version of an answer. More info than you wanted but that's me! :-)

To have a shred of on topicness I'll add that when I was at Michigan State was when I swam every morning at 7:30 plus walked or rollerskated miles (literally) every day around campus. No video exercise but LOTS of daily activity.

/ Neoprene

Hi !You got a terrific deal on those dumbells! Normally for the bigger weights they are about a buck a pound. Sweet! I have 15 pounders in Neoprene, but I have many kinds (see my dumbell family essay in the files section - I have an irrational attachment to all of them. My new additions to the family are 2lb weights with handles so I can do pushups with them should I be so inclined - got 'em for $5 at Target)Yeah, I would do Sculpt 3-4 next time. Clearly you sound bored and unchallenged with 1-2! Is there a PHH you could substitute as well to alleviate boredom?As for the French - my degrees are in French and Spanish, but I'm a thesis short of my Masters in French. I taught French here at PSU and Portland Community College, and I taught English Comprehension in Avignon, France. Long story. I've forgotten a lot because I don't practice enough. I mostly like to use my french for travel and learn history, but university politics both in Portland and in Avignon sickened me from working at a university. Plus you pretty much need a doctorate to teach anything besides French 1 and 2 and I'm just not into the research and papers required to do that. I prefer my 8-5 more or less stress free job and I've never worked one single hour of overtime. It allows me to pursue my hobbies which fulfill me (Fitness ;)Okay that's more than you probably wanted to know!

Á toute à l'heure!Mlle. Kraft