RemedySpot.com

Tuesday - Cardio Coach and Classical Stretch

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Everyone,

Today I did Cardio Coach Volume 2 revised (thanks AGAIN Carolyn, I really like these!!) This is a guided workout for use with cardio equipment or outdoors (running/walking, etc.) It is based on heart rate zones - I just go w/ perceived exertion since I don't have a HRM. Basically, they are interval type workouts where, after a warm-up you do periods of heavy exertion followed by recovery periods. I find that this really helps me to challenge myself and it is keeping the TM interesting for me. My back is also agreeable to running during the intervals of high intensity which range anywhere (in this particular workout) from 45 seconds to 3 minutes. I tend to think I go too 'easy" during the recovery zones and I could probably continue to jog during those, but then I'm afraid it will be too much impact on my back - so I just take those down to a fast walk, but I think it drops my HR below where it should

be for those zones, but it is probably best to "live to do another workout the next day" than to push too hard and mess up my spine. I find that I can really push myself in the high intensity zones w/ no back issues though - so that is good. In about 40 minutes w/ this workout I covered 4 miles according to my TM. I may try one of these on the bike, where i can play w/ resistance more than speed, but my back doesn't like the bike for long periods of time. On the TM, I keep the incline flat and just use speed - although someone who can handle inclines can use that as a mechanism for upping the intensity for the exertion intervals - so no running needed if you're not a runner!

Anyway, after that I did some stretching on my own and then did some Classical Stretch. I did another 30 minute workout off her express DVD. This one was standing and barre work. The barre work wasn't like Lotte/Bar Method/Callantics - which is good, since that kills my back. It was basically using the barre (a chair) for some standing exercises (Ballet-like) and stretches - particularly for the hips and hamstrings (actually it was a great way for me to stretch my hamstrings in a standing position). CS is basically a blend of Pilates/Ballet, T'ai Chi, and functional/athletic stretching. A lot of it is very flowy - probably the T'ai Chi influence and I find it really helps to loosen up my back, hips, etc. in a different way than static stretching. Miranda Esmonde-White is not the best cuer in the world, but the exercises aren't overly complicated so you can catch on by watching her - but it would be even

better if she were more organized in her presentation. I'm really interested in getting my hands on her "essentrics" DVDs now - which are supposedly more toning focused. Maybe I'll see what I can trade for them.

I think tomorrow I'll do Pilates.

What is everyone doing for their Thanksgiving workout? I may do my new Sansone 5 miler. Figure that has got to be good for burning something off, right?

Take care! :)

Donna