RemedySpot.com

Darcy - Chiro

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi again, Darcy!

Prolonged sitting (especially slumped forward w/ bad posture) is (as I'm learning) one of the worst things for your back. Try to get up from a sitting position every 15 or 20 minutes. walk around, stretch your chest/back/shoulders, lay on the floor, do some stretches, etc.. I often do a mild back bend to "counter-act" the forward posture of sititng as soon as I stand up. Also, when you sit in a chair, try to "perch" on the edge w/ your pelvis rolled slightly forward - this will help you to sit up straight and keep an natural arch in your back.

I am imbalanced as well - my right side is all bunched up, my left side is loose (compared to my right side). The strangest thing is that prior to chiro treatments all of my pain was on the left side, so I thought that was the tight side. Since my first adjustment, I haven't had any pain on the left - when my back flairs up it is either equally across both sides or in my tight right side. As i get better from a flair up the pain/tightness ends up only in my right side before it goes away. (It is there today, so I think I'm on the mend! :) Plus, I won't be at my desk at work for another week after today so I'm sure to be feeling better soon. When I work at home I tend to move around/stretch more than when I work in the office.

My chiro isn't crazy about kickboxing either - sort of makes me sad b/c I probably won't do it very often as a result (I will have to try to see how it is for my back - right now as far as I'm concerned nothing can make it worse than "Barre" type workouts or T-Tapp - or anything w/ a pelvic tuck). I think his concern is the potential for injury w/ bad/uncontrolled form in cardio-kickboxing. I haven't even asked about plyo moves - it will be on my list of things to ask about - although I'm pretty sure I know the answer already (no!) My chiro is pro-exercise though - he never told me to stop - just told me not to do anything that "compresses" my back (for example - squats w/ weights, lifting weights over my head) and to focus on things that are "lengthening" (Like Pilates).

For the exercises that you do leaning over - can you find a more supported posture - maybe one hand on a high step or try them seated or on a stability ball?

((HUGS))) I know how hard this is! I hope you miraculously feel better tomorrw.

Donna