RemedySpot.com

Meditation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

[ ] Meditation Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing the CRON diet - I haveonly done some research on the internet and decided to check out thisgroup to learn more about it. I'm not entirely sure I will have thediscipline to do it, but I believe it would be a positive lifestyle toadapt. I will most likely give it a chance though.My issue relates to meditation. I have been meditating for about 11years. I get up every morning to sit. Most mornings it is verydifficult to get out of bed since I feel tired and sluggish. I suspectthat being foggy in the morning (which affects my meditation) isrelated to diet.

--In India, we usually had chai before meditation. Why not fix yourself a good cup of coffee or tea to be automatically brewed at your wakeup time, stagger out, drink it, and then sit? Works for me. Btw, meditating first thing in the morning is definitely what's worked for me the last 33 years.

Has anyone here had the experience that they feelmore clear in the morning after having adopted the CRON diet?

--Yes, that's the case, too. I do the every-other-day version, and either way (post-fast or post-repast), I feel clearer in the morning.

How doesit affect your mood?

--I'm always grumpy anyway.

--Seriously, I don't notice a difference, but I'm a relative newbie.

Does it improve your mood or do you find yourselfmore impatient due to hunger?

--I don't know, and no. By having designated stretches of not eating, I don't experience hunger per se, just the emptiness of fasting.

--My 2 cents.

Maco

[ ] Meditation Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing the CRON diet - I haveonly done some research on the internet and decided to check out thisgroup to learn more about it. I'm not entirely sure I will have thediscipline to do it, but I believe it would be a positive lifestyle toadapt. I will most likely give it a chance though.My issue relates to meditation. I have been meditating for about 11years. I get up every morning to sit. Most mornings it is verydifficult to get out of bed since I feel tired and sluggish. I suspectthat being foggy in the morning (which affects my meditation) isrelated to diet.

--In India, we usually had chai before meditation. Why not fix yourself a good cup of coffee or tea to be automatically brewed at your wakeup time, stagger out, drink it, and then sit? Works for me. Btw, meditating first thing in the morning is definitely what's worked for me the last 33 years.

Has anyone here had the experience that they feelmore clear in the morning after having adopted the CRON diet?

--Yes, that's the case, too. I do the every-other-day version, and either way (post-fast or post-repast), I feel clearer in the morning.

How doesit affect your mood?

--I'm always grumpy anyway.

--Seriously, I don't notice a difference, but I'm a relative newbie.

Does it improve your mood or do you find yourselfmore impatient due to hunger?

--I don't know, and no. By having designated stretches of not eating, I don't experience hunger per se, just the emptiness of fasting.

--My 2 cents.

Maco

I'm not sure I understand your issues relating to meditation. How does CR involve it?

I also find myself slow and groggy in the early morning, but I have made a habit of exercising first thing, and by the end of my workout, I'm functioning at peak speed and clarity.

I rarely experience hunger. With time, and careful food choices, one can reduce one's hunger.

Fasting usually brings on euphoria and energy, rather than impatience, for me.

On 10/28/05, dharmabum253 <dharmabum253@...> wrote:

Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing the CRON diet - I haveonly done some research on the internet and decided to check out this

group to learn more about it. I'm not entirely sure I will have thediscipline to do it, but I believe it would be a positive lifestyle toadapt. I will most likely give it a chance though.My issue relates to meditation. I have been meditating for about 11

years. I get up every morning to sit. Most mornings it is verydifficult to get out of bed since I feel tired and sluggish. I suspectthat being foggy in the morning (which affects my meditation) isrelated to diet. Has anyone here had the experience that they feel

more clear in the morning after having adopted the CRON diet? How doesit affect your mood? Does it improve your mood or do you find yourselfmore impatient due to hunger? I'm very interested to know!Thanks and Peace!

Dave

I'm not sure I understand your issues relating to meditation. How does CR involve it?

I also find myself slow and groggy in the early morning, but I have made a habit of exercising first thing, and by the end of my workout, I'm functioning at peak speed and clarity.

I rarely experience hunger. With time, and careful food choices, one can reduce one's hunger.

Fasting usually brings on euphoria and energy, rather than impatience, for me.

On 10/28/05, dharmabum253 <dharmabum253@...> wrote:

Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing the CRON diet - I haveonly done some research on the internet and decided to check out this

group to learn more about it. I'm not entirely sure I will have thediscipline to do it, but I believe it would be a positive lifestyle toadapt. I will most likely give it a chance though.My issue relates to meditation. I have been meditating for about 11

years. I get up every morning to sit. Most mornings it is verydifficult to get out of bed since I feel tired and sluggish. I suspectthat being foggy in the morning (which affects my meditation) isrelated to diet. Has anyone here had the experience that they feel

more clear in the morning after having adopted the CRON diet? How doesit affect your mood? Does it improve your mood or do you find yourselfmore impatient due to hunger? I'm very interested to know!Thanks and Peace!

Dave

I'm just looking for a way to wake up in the morning

more clear and energized. Clarity of mind during

meditation rather than lethargy and torpor is very

important to the practice.

--- Dowling

<christopher.a.dowling@...> wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand your issues relating to

> meditation. How does CR

> involve it?

> I also find myself slow and groggy in the early

> morning, but I have made a

> habit of exercising first thing, and by the end of

> my workout, I'm

> functioning at peak speed and clarity.

> I rarely experience hunger. With time, and careful

> food choices, one can

> reduce one's hunger.

> Fasting usually brings on euphoria and energy,

> rather than impatience, for

> me.

>

> On 10/28/05, dharmabum253 <dharmabum253@...>

> wrote:

> >

> > Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing the

> CRON diet - I have

> > only done some research on the internet and

> decided to check out this

> > group to learn more about it. I'm not entirely

> sure I will have the

> > discipline to do it, but I believe it would be a

> positive lifestyle to

> > adapt. I will most likely give it a chance though.

> >

> > My issue relates to meditation. I have been

> meditating for about 11

> > years. I get up every morning to sit. Most

> mornings it is very

> > difficult to get out of bed since I feel tired and

> sluggish. I suspect

> > that being foggy in the morning (which affects my

> meditation) is

> > related to diet. Has anyone here had the

> experience that they feel

> > more clear in the morning after having adopted the

> CRON diet? How does

> > it affect your mood? Does it improve your mood or

> do you find yourself

> > more impatient due to hunger? I'm very interested

> to know!

> >

> > Thanks and Peace!

> >

> > Dave

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

I'm just looking for a way to wake up in the morning

more clear and energized. Clarity of mind during

meditation rather than lethargy and torpor is very

important to the practice.

--- Dowling

> I'm not sure I understand your issues relating to

> meditation. How does CR

> involve it?

> I also find myself slow and groggy in the early

> morning, but I have made a

> habit of exercising first thing, and by the end of

> my workout, I'm

> functioning at peak speed and clarity.

> I rarely experience hunger. With time, and careful

> food choices, one can

> reduce one's hunger.

> Fasting usually brings on euphoria and energy,

> rather than impatience, for

> me.

>

> On 10/28/05, dharmabum253 <dharmabum253@...>

> wrote:

> >

> > Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing the

> CRON diet - I have

> > only done some research on the internet and

> decided to check out this

> > group to learn more about it. I'm not entirely

> sure I will have the

> > discipline to do it, but I believe it would be a

> positive lifestyle to

> > adapt. I will most likely give it a chance though.

> >

> > My issue relates to meditation. I have been

> meditating for about 11

> > years. I get up every morning to sit. Most

> mornings it is very

> > difficult to get out of bed since I feel tired and

> sluggish. I suspect

> > that being foggy in the morning (which affects my

> meditation) is

> > related to diet. Has anyone here had the

> experience that they feel

> > more clear in the morning after having adopted the

> CRON diet? How does

> > it affect your mood? Does it improve your mood or

> do you find yourself

> > more impatient due to hunger? I'm very interested

> to know!

> >

> > Thanks and Peace!

> >

> > Dave

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Interesting. I read recently that researchers investigating meditation found that frequently, meditators were, basically, asleep during some of their meditation periods.

On 10/29/05, Cosentino <dharmabum253@...> wrote:

I'm just looking for a way to wake up in the morningmore clear and energized. Clarity of mind during

meditation rather than lethargy and torpor is veryimportant to the practice.--- Dowling<christopher.a.dowling@...> wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand your issues relating to> meditation. How does CR> involve it?> I also find myself slow and groggy in the early> morning, but I have made a> habit of exercising first thing, and by the end of

> my workout, I'm> functioning at peak speed and clarity.> I rarely experience hunger. With time, and careful> food choices, one can> reduce one's hunger.> Fasting usually brings on euphoria and energy,

> rather than impatience, for> me.>> On 10/28/05, dharmabum253 <dharmabum253@...>> wrote:> >> > Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing the

> CRON diet - I have> > only done some research on the internet and> decided to check out this> > group to learn more about it. I'm not entirely> sure I will have the> > discipline to do it, but I believe it would be a

> positive lifestyle to> > adapt. I will most likely give it a chance though.> >> > My issue relates to meditation. I have been> meditating for about 11> > years. I get up every morning to sit. Most

> mornings it is very> > difficult to get out of bed since I feel tired and> sluggish. I suspect> > that being foggy in the morning (which affects my> meditation) is> > related to diet. Has anyone here had the

> experience that they feel> > more clear in the morning after having adopted the> CRON diet? How does> > it affect your mood? Does it improve your mood or> do you find yourself

> > more impatient due to hunger? I'm very interested> to know!> >> > Thanks and Peace!> >> > Dave> >> >> >> >> >> >

> >> >> >> >

Interesting. I read recently that researchers investigating meditation found that frequently, meditators were, basically, asleep during some of their meditation periods.

On 10/29/05, Cosentino <dharmabum253@...> wrote:

I'm just looking for a way to wake up in the morningmore clear and energized. Clarity of mind during

meditation rather than lethargy and torpor is veryimportant to the practice.--- Dowling<christopher.a.dowling@...> wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand your issues relating to> meditation. How does CR> involve it?> I also find myself slow and groggy in the early> morning, but I have made a> habit of exercising first thing, and by the end of

> my workout, I'm> functioning at peak speed and clarity.> I rarely experience hunger. With time, and careful> food choices, one can> reduce one's hunger.> Fasting usually brings on euphoria and energy,

> rather than impatience, for> me.>> On 10/28/05, dharmabum253 <dharmabum253@...>> wrote:> >> > Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing the

> CRON diet - I have> > only done some research on the internet and> decided to check out this> > group to learn more about it. I'm not entirely> sure I will have the> > discipline to do it, but I believe it would be a

> positive lifestyle to> > adapt. I will most likely give it a chance though.> >> > My issue relates to meditation. I have been> meditating for about 11> > years. I get up every morning to sit. Most

> mornings it is very> > difficult to get out of bed since I feel tired and> sluggish. I suspect> > that being foggy in the morning (which affects my> meditation) is> > related to diet. Has anyone here had the

> experience that they feel> > more clear in the morning after having adopted the> CRON diet? How does> > it affect your mood? Does it improve your mood or> do you find yourself

> > more impatient due to hunger? I'm very interested> to know!> >> > Thanks and Peace!> >> > Dave> >> >> >> >> >> >

> >> >> >> >

Maybe we could define "mediation" - is it self hypnosis, eg?

Re: [ ] Meditation

On 10/29/05, Cosentino <dharmabum253@...> wrote: I'm just looking for a way to wake up in the morningmore clear and energized. Clarity of mind duringmeditation rather than lethargy and torpor is veryimportant to the practice.--- Dowling<christopher.a.dowling@...> wrote:> I'm not sure I understand your issues relating to> meditation. How does CR> involve it?> I also find myself slow and groggy in the early> morning, but I have made a> habit of exercising first thing, and by the end of > my workout, I'm> functioning at peak speed and clarity.> I rarely experience hunger. With time, and careful> food choices, one can> reduce one's hunger.> Fasting usually brings on euphoria and energy, > rather than impatience, for> me.>> On 10/28/05, dharmabum253 <dharmabum253@...>> wrote:> >> > Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing the > CRON diet - I have> > only done some research on the internet and> decided to check out this> > group to learn more about it. I'm not entirely> sure I will have the> > discipline to do it, but I believe it would be a > positive lifestyle to> > adapt. I will most likely give it a chance though.> >> > My issue relates to meditation. I have been> meditating for about 11> > years. I get up every morning to sit. Most > mornings it is very> > difficult to get out of bed since I feel tired and> sluggish. I suspect> > that being foggy in the morning (which affects my> meditation) is> > related to diet. Has anyone here had the > experience that they feel> > more clear in the morning after having adopted the> CRON diet? How does> > it affect your mood? Does it improve your mood or> do you find yourself> > more impatient due to hunger? I'm very interested> to know!> >> > Thanks and Peace!> >> > Dave

Maybe we could define "mediation" - is it self hypnosis, eg?

On 10/29/05, Cosentino <dharmabum253@...> wrote: I'm just looking for a way to wake up in the morningmore clear and energized. Clarity of mind duringmeditation rather than lethargy and torpor is veryimportant to the practice.--- Dowling<christopher.a.dowling@...> wrote:> I'm not sure I understand your issues relating to> meditation. How does CR> involve it?> I also find myself slow and groggy in the early> morning, but I have made a> habit of exercising first thing, and by the end of > my workout, I'm> functioning at peak speed and clarity.> I rarely experience hunger. With time, and careful> food choices, one can> reduce one's hunger.> Fasting usually brings on euphoria and energy, > rather than impatience, for> me.>> On 10/28/05, dharmabum253 <dharmabum253@...>> wrote:> >> > Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing the > CRON diet - I have> > only done some research on the internet and> decided to check out this> > group to learn more about it. I'm not entirely> sure I will have the> > discipline to do it, but I believe it would be a > positive lifestyle to> > adapt. I will most likely give it a chance though.> >> > My issue relates to meditation. I have been> meditating for about 11> > years. I get up every morning to sit. Most > mornings it is very> > difficult to get out of bed since I feel tired and> sluggish. I suspect> > that being foggy in the morning (which affects my> meditation) is> > related to diet. Has anyone here had the > experience that they feel> > more clear in the morning after having adopted the> CRON diet? How does> > it affect your mood? Does it improve your mood or> do you find yourself> > more impatient due to hunger? I'm very interested> to know!> >> > Thanks and Peace!> >> > Dave

Yes, I read that same article. I wonder though if the

researchers were familiar with the EEG signatures of

deep meditation. Some strong meditators experience

theta or even delta rhythms (deep sleep) while

maintaining awareness. It's true that sometimes my

body can fall alseep on the cushion but often I can

maintain awareness to some degree while at other times

I lapse into real sleep. Obviously if awareness and

lucidity is maintained, meditation is more productive.

It also may be that there are long term meditators who

don't understand how the process unfolds and have

lapsed into some mind state that they believe is

productive while in fact their mind is sluggish and

torpid. This state may be somewhat pleasureable but is

not productive meditation. There are alot of different

techniques, practices, and philosophies, but not all

of them are on solid ground.

--- Dowling

> Interesting. I read recently that researchers

> investigating meditation found

> that frequently, meditators were, basically, asleep

> during some of their

> meditation periods.

>

> On 10/29/05, Cosentino

> <dharmabum253@...> wrote:

> >

> > I'm just looking for a way to wake up in the

> morning

> > more clear and energized. Clarity of mind during

> > meditation rather than lethargy and torpor is very

> > important to the practice.

> >

> > --- Dowling

> > <christopher.a.dowling@...> wrote:

> >

> > > I'm not sure I understand your issues relating

> to

> > > meditation. How does CR

> > > involve it?

> > > I also find myself slow and groggy in the early

> > > morning, but I have made a

> > > habit of exercising first thing, and by the end

> of

> > > my workout, I'm

> > > functioning at peak speed and clarity.

> > > I rarely experience hunger. With time, and

> careful

> > > food choices, one can

> > > reduce one's hunger.

> > > Fasting usually brings on euphoria and energy,

> > > rather than impatience, for

> > > me.

> > >

> > > On 10/28/05, dharmabum253

> <dharmabum253@...>

> > > wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing

> the

> > > CRON diet - I have

> > > > only done some research on the internet and

> > > decided to check out this

> > > > group to learn more about it. I'm not entirely

> > > sure I will have the

> > > > discipline to do it, but I believe it would be

> a

> > > positive lifestyle to

> > > > adapt. I will most likely give it a chance

> though.

> > > >

> > > > My issue relates to meditation. I have been

> > > meditating for about 11

> > > > years. I get up every morning to sit. Most

> > > mornings it is very

> > > > difficult to get out of bed since I feel tired

> and

> > > sluggish. I suspect

> > > > that being foggy in the morning (which affects

> my

> > > meditation) is

> > > > related to diet. Has anyone here had the

> > > experience that they feel

> > > > more clear in the morning after having adopted

> the

> > > CRON diet? How does

> > > > it affect your mood? Does it improve your mood

> or

> > > do you find yourself

> > > > more impatient due to hunger? I'm very

> interested

> > > to know!

> > > >

> > > > Thanks and Peace!

> > > >

> > > > Dave

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

Yes, I read that same article. I wonder though if the

researchers were familiar with the EEG signatures of

deep meditation. Some strong meditators experience

theta or even delta rhythms (deep sleep) while

maintaining awareness. It's true that sometimes my

body can fall alseep on the cushion but often I can

maintain awareness to some degree while at other times

I lapse into real sleep. Obviously if awareness and

lucidity is maintained, meditation is more productive.

It also may be that there are long term meditators who

don't understand how the process unfolds and have

lapsed into some mind state that they believe is

productive while in fact their mind is sluggish and

torpid. This state may be somewhat pleasureable but is

not productive meditation. There are alot of different

techniques, practices, and philosophies, but not all

of them are on solid ground.

--- Dowling

> Interesting. I read recently that researchers

> investigating meditation found

> that frequently, meditators were, basically, asleep

> during some of their

> meditation periods.

>

> On 10/29/05, Cosentino

> <dharmabum253@...> wrote:

> >

> > I'm just looking for a way to wake up in the

> morning

> > more clear and energized. Clarity of mind during

> > meditation rather than lethargy and torpor is very

> > important to the practice.

> >

> > --- Dowling

> > <christopher.a.dowling@...> wrote:

> >

> > > I'm not sure I understand your issues relating

> to

> > > meditation. How does CR

> > > involve it?

> > > I also find myself slow and groggy in the early

> > > morning, but I have made a

> > > habit of exercising first thing, and by the end

> of

> > > my workout, I'm

> > > functioning at peak speed and clarity.

> > > I rarely experience hunger. With time, and

> careful

> > > food choices, one can

> > > reduce one's hunger.

> > > Fasting usually brings on euphoria and energy,

> > > rather than impatience, for

> > > me.

> > >

> > > On 10/28/05, dharmabum253

> <dharmabum253@...>

> > > wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Hello. I just joined the group. I am not doing

> the

> > > CRON diet - I have

> > > > only done some research on the internet and

> > > decided to check out this

> > > > group to learn more about it. I'm not entirely

> > > sure I will have the

> > > > discipline to do it, but I believe it would be

> a

> > > positive lifestyle to

> > > > adapt. I will most likely give it a chance

> though.

> > > >

> > > > My issue relates to meditation. I have been

> > > meditating for about 11

> > > > years. I get up every morning to sit. Most

> > > mornings it is very

> > > > difficult to get out of bed since I feel tired

> and

> > > sluggish. I suspect

> > > > that being foggy in the morning (which affects

> my

> > > meditation) is

> > > > related to diet. Has anyone here had the

> > > experience that they feel

> > > > more clear in the morning after having adopted

> the

> > > CRON diet? How does

> > > > it affect your mood? Does it improve your mood

> or

> > > do you find yourself

> > > > more impatient due to hunger? I'm very

> interested

> > > to know!

> > > >

> > > > Thanks and Peace!

> > > >

> > > > Dave

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

Yes, Buddhist meditation is different than Hindumeditation. The goal of Hindu meditation is absorptionon a single object.

--The goal of Hindu meditation is the next step, samadhi, which is absorption in a thought-free, transcendental state. I'm a little surprised you didn't know that. Ideally, that state is sahaj samadhi, a waking, ongoing state of detachment and clarity that's maintained through one's waking hours as well, in which the nonself is no longer embraced and one abides ongoingly in one's birthright of truth, awareness, and bliss (satchitananda).

The goal of Buddhist meditation isthe development of absorption to use as a tool toanalyze three characteristics of the body-mind:inconstancy, stress, and not-self. When one realizesthat all phenomena no matter how refined orpleasurable are ultimately unsatisfactory, alwayschanging, and not ourselves, this creates dispassionthat leads to the Unbinding of the psychophysicalmechanism that results in suffering. This path doescertainly work.

--Short-term, for sure. We'll talk in another 20 years.

;-)

Maco

Yes, Buddhist meditation is different than Hindumeditation. The goal of Hindu meditation is absorptionon a single object.

--The goal of Hindu meditation is the next step, samadhi, which is absorption in a thought-free, transcendental state. I'm a little surprised you didn't know that. Ideally, that state is sahaj samadhi, a waking, ongoing state of detachment and clarity that's maintained through one's waking hours as well, in which the nonself is no longer embraced and one abides ongoingly in one's birthright of truth, awareness, and bliss (satchitananda).

The goal of Buddhist meditation isthe development of absorption to use as a tool toanalyze three characteristics of the body-mind:inconstancy, stress, and not-self. When one realizesthat all phenomena no matter how refined orpleasurable are ultimately unsatisfactory, alwayschanging, and not ourselves, this creates dispassionthat leads to the Unbinding of the psychophysicalmechanism that results in suffering. This path doescertainly work.

--Short-term, for sure. We'll talk in another 20 years.

;-)

Maco

That hit a nerve.

I'm working on a technique (my own) that I call telepathic voodoo.

Regards.

* Re: [ ] Meditation> >> > Yes, Buddhist meditation is different than Hindu> > meditation. The goal of Hindu meditation is absorption> > on a single object.> > --The goal of Hindu meditation is the next step, samadhi, which is> > absorption in a thought-free, transcendental state. I'm a littlesurprised> > you didn't know that. Ideally, that state is sahaj samadhi, a waking,> > ongoing state of detachment and clarity that's maintained throughone's> > waking hours as well, in which the nonself is no longer embracedand one> > abides ongoingly in one's birthright of truth, awareness, and bliss> > (satchitananda).> > The goal of Buddhist meditation is> > the development of absorption to use as a tool to> > analyze three characteristics of the body-mind:> > inconstancy, stress, and not-self. When one realizes> > that all phenomena no matter how refined or> > pleasurable are ultimately unsatisfactory, always> > changing, and not ourselves, this creates dispassion> > that leads to the Unbinding of the psychophysical> > mechanism that results in suffering. This path does> > certainly work.> > --Short-term, for sure. We'll talk in another 20 years.> > ;-)> > Maco

That hit a nerve.

I'm working on a technique (my own) that I call telepathic voodoo.

Regards.

* Re: [ ] Meditation> >> > Yes, Buddhist meditation is different than Hindu> > meditation. The goal of Hindu meditation is absorption> > on a single object.> > --The goal of Hindu meditation is the next step, samadhi, which is> > absorption in a thought-free, transcendental state. I'm a littlesurprised> > you didn't know that. Ideally, that state is sahaj samadhi, a waking,> > ongoing state of detachment and clarity that's maintained throughone's> > waking hours as well, in which the nonself is no longer embracedand one> > abides ongoingly in one's birthright of truth, awareness, and bliss> > (satchitananda).> > The goal of Buddhist meditation is> > the development of absorption to use as a tool to> > analyze three characteristics of the body-mind:> > inconstancy, stress, and not-self. When one realizes> > that all phenomena no matter how refined or> > pleasurable are ultimately unsatisfactory, always> > changing, and not ourselves, this creates dispassion> > that leads to the Unbinding of the psychophysical> > mechanism that results in suffering. This path does> > certainly work.> > --Short-term, for sure. We'll talk in another 20 years.> > ;-)> > Maco

Over the years alot of " bells and whistles " have been added to the concept of

meditation by various organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and

religions.

Meditation is just a simple process (though not always easy) that combines

mental focus, attention and awareness with physical relaxation. Many of the

different techniques such as visualization, counting breaths, counting mala

beads, body sweeping, sounds, humming, candles, etc etc are just " tools " to help

the person practive and develop focus, attention and awareness.

And the other concepts (nivrana, satori, etc) are just that, concepts that have

been attached to it based on the specific culture and or beleifs of the

organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and religions.

On a personal note and for whats is worth... I was initiated in my first

meditation technique in 1973 and have been a student of many over the

years. I was also intitatied into Buddist Mediation & the Boddhisattva Vows,

by The Dalai Lama in 1994 and have facilitated community groups in what I call

" universal meditation " since 1987. He gave me a set of mala beads and one of

his prayer shawls that sit on my home alter.

PS I am interested in learning more about the new technique called " telepathic

voodoo " !!

Regards

jeff

Over the years alot of " bells and whistles " have been added to the concept of

meditation by various organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and

religions.

Meditation is just a simple process (though not always easy) that combines

mental focus, attention and awareness with physical relaxation. Many of the

different techniques such as visualization, counting breaths, counting mala

beads, body sweeping, sounds, humming, candles, etc etc are just " tools " to help

the person practive and develop focus, attention and awareness.

And the other concepts (nivrana, satori, etc) are just that, concepts that have

been attached to it based on the specific culture and or beleifs of the

organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and religions.

On a personal note and for whats is worth... I was initiated in my first

meditation technique in 1973 and have been a student of many over the

years. I was also intitatied into Buddist Mediation & the Boddhisattva Vows,

by The Dalai Lama in 1994 and have facilitated community groups in what I call

" universal meditation " since 1987. He gave me a set of mala beads and one of

his prayer shawls that sit on my home alter.

PS I am interested in learning more about the new technique called " telepathic

voodoo " !!

Regards

jeff

Jeff, could you expound upon " universal meditation " ?

Thanks

On 10/30/05, Jeff Novick <jnovick@...> wrote:

Over the years alot of " bells and whistles " have been added to the concept of meditation by various organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and religions.

Meditation is just a simple process (though not always easy) that combines mental focus, attention and awareness with physical relaxation. Many of the different techniques such as visualization, counting breaths, counting mala beads, body sweeping, sounds, humming, candles, etc etc are just " tools " to help the person practive and develop focus, attention and awareness.

And the other concepts (nivrana, satori, etc) are just that, concepts that have been attached to it based on the specific culture and or beleifs of the organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and religions.

On a personal note and for whats is worth... I was initiated in my first meditation technique in 1973 and have been a student of many over the years. I was also intitatied into Buddist Mediation & the Boddhisattva Vows, by The Dalai Lama in 1994 and have facilitated community groups in what I call " universal meditation " since 1987. He gave me a set of mala beads and one of his prayer shawls that sit on my home alter.

PS I am interested in learning more about the new technique called " telepathic voodoo " !!Regardsjeff

Jeff, could you expound upon " universal meditation " ?

Thanks

On 10/30/05, Jeff Novick <jnovick@...> wrote:

Over the years alot of " bells and whistles " have been added to the concept of meditation by various organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and religions.

Meditation is just a simple process (though not always easy) that combines mental focus, attention and awareness with physical relaxation. Many of the different techniques such as visualization, counting breaths, counting mala beads, body sweeping, sounds, humming, candles, etc etc are just " tools " to help the person practive and develop focus, attention and awareness.

And the other concepts (nivrana, satori, etc) are just that, concepts that have been attached to it based on the specific culture and or beleifs of the organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and religions.

On a personal note and for whats is worth... I was initiated in my first meditation technique in 1973 and have been a student of many over the years. I was also intitatied into Buddist Mediation & the Boddhisattva Vows, by The Dalai Lama in 1994 and have facilitated community groups in what I call " universal meditation " since 1987. He gave me a set of mala beads and one of his prayer shawls that sit on my home alter.

PS I am interested in learning more about the new technique called " telepathic voodoo " !!Regardsjeff

>>Jeff, could you expound upon " universal meditation " ?

I just teach the basic principles of meditation (relaxation, focus,

concentration, attention and awareness) " uncloaked " of any " dogma " or " bells &

whistles " or " concepts " .

People are welcome to choose which ever " method " they feel works the best for

them (mantra, breath counting, candle gazing, etc) understanding the method is

just a method to teach them the above mentioned principles.

Thats all

Jeff

>>Jeff, could you expound upon " universal meditation " ?

I just teach the basic principles of meditation (relaxation, focus,

concentration, attention and awareness) " uncloaked " of any " dogma " or " bells &

whistles " or " concepts " .

People are welcome to choose which ever " method " they feel works the best for

them (mantra, breath counting, candle gazing, etc) understanding the method is

just a method to teach them the above mentioned principles.

Thats all

Jeff

One thing most important, IMO, is to try to make positive thoughts/suggestions nothing that would be harmful or you think harmful. Everyone lives in their world, call it karma if you like, but there is little I can do to improve their world.

I use positive affirmations, even my passwords are positive statements like xx175#xxxx. Regardless of a persons criticism, I review what they say because I take the view they are not trying to harm me, although my choice of English expression may not be interpreted as I would like it.

I try to understand everything a person says and make some benefit of it. And I may get too detailed at times, seeking the exact science.

Meditation to me is nothing more than self hypnosis, positive affirmations, visualizing what I want to be, what I want to happen - always in my life or my family's.

I think it's possible to tell my other brain what I need and let it find the way to do it. Using both brains can be far more effective in solving problems, communicating with others, and, IMO, the techniques like TM, etc., should direct us how to do that.

About hurricanes, my son and daughter did exactly as we planned, boarded the houses (and a cupla neighbors too) and come to my house away from the coast. It worked quite well, except millions of others were evacuating. Fortunately we were able to use the back roads to maneuver around the blocks. Before you evacuate ask yourself this question figure out WHERE you are GOING?"

We did have the generator and we did have a window A/C unit going and everything worked out ok, except we were the ones without power for 6 days.

That was a time of stress to a lot of people - mostly getting fuel. But with a generator for the house and another generator to power the local water supply, it wasn't all that bad. Preparation is everything, mainly ensuring a good roof.

I might mention there is an easy way to hook a gen into the house safely - use the dryer receptacle. I got a power cable and adapter from the local elec supply, pulled the meter, and plugged it in. 5kw was about right, 10kw would have provided more power, but the fuel cost and hauling it is not cheap, so the 5kw is better, IMO. About 7 to 10 gals per day. Anyone thinking of a 10 kw should look at a welder - more rugged - cheaper, and you can power the local well, maybe.

Fortunately, we didn't get the brunt of Rita which veered East - maybe 75 - 85 mph winds here.

Regards.

RE: [ ] Meditation

Over the years alot of "bells and whistles" have been added to the concept of meditation by various organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and religions. Meditation is just a simple process (though not always easy) that combines mental focus, attention and awareness with physical relaxation. Many of the different techniques such as visualization, counting breaths, counting mala beads, body sweeping, sounds, humming, candles, etc etc are just "tools" to help the person practive and develop focus, attention and awareness. And the other concepts (nivrana, satori, etc) are just that, concepts that have been attached to it based on the specific culture and or beleifs of the organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and religions. On a personal note and for whats is worth... I was initiated in my first meditation technique in 1973 and have been a student of many over the years. I was also intitatied into Buddist Mediation & the Boddhisattva Vows, by The Dalai Lama in 1994 and have facilitated community groups in what I call "universal meditation" since 1987. He gave me a set of mala beads and one of his prayer shawls that sit on my home alter. PS I am interested in learning more about the new technique called "telepathic voodoo"!!Regardsjeff

One thing most important, IMO, is to try to make positive thoughts/suggestions nothing that would be harmful or you think harmful. Everyone lives in their world, call it karma if you like, but there is little I can do to improve their world.

I use positive affirmations, even my passwords are positive statements like xx175#xxxx. Regardless of a persons criticism, I review what they say because I take the view they are not trying to harm me, although my choice of English expression may not be interpreted as I would like it.

I try to understand everything a person says and make some benefit of it. And I may get too detailed at times, seeking the exact science.

Meditation to me is nothing more than self hypnosis, positive affirmations, visualizing what I want to be, what I want to happen - always in my life or my family's.

I think it's possible to tell my other brain what I need and let it find the way to do it. Using both brains can be far more effective in solving problems, communicating with others, and, IMO, the techniques like TM, etc., should direct us how to do that.

About hurricanes, my son and daughter did exactly as we planned, boarded the houses (and a cupla neighbors too) and come to my house away from the coast. It worked quite well, except millions of others were evacuating. Fortunately we were able to use the back roads to maneuver around the blocks. Before you evacuate ask yourself this question figure out WHERE you are GOING?"

We did have the generator and we did have a window A/C unit going and everything worked out ok, except we were the ones without power for 6 days.

That was a time of stress to a lot of people - mostly getting fuel. But with a generator for the house and another generator to power the local water supply, it wasn't all that bad. Preparation is everything, mainly ensuring a good roof.

I might mention there is an easy way to hook a gen into the house safely - use the dryer receptacle. I got a power cable and adapter from the local elec supply, pulled the meter, and plugged it in. 5kw was about right, 10kw would have provided more power, but the fuel cost and hauling it is not cheap, so the 5kw is better, IMO. About 7 to 10 gals per day. Anyone thinking of a 10 kw should look at a welder - more rugged - cheaper, and you can power the local well, maybe.

Fortunately, we didn't get the brunt of Rita which veered East - maybe 75 - 85 mph winds here.

Regards.

RE: [ ] Meditation

Over the years alot of "bells and whistles" have been added to the concept of meditation by various organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and religions. Meditation is just a simple process (though not always easy) that combines mental focus, attention and awareness with physical relaxation. Many of the different techniques such as visualization, counting breaths, counting mala beads, body sweeping, sounds, humming, candles, etc etc are just "tools" to help the person practive and develop focus, attention and awareness. And the other concepts (nivrana, satori, etc) are just that, concepts that have been attached to it based on the specific culture and or beleifs of the organizations, individuals, spiritual groups and religions. On a personal note and for whats is worth... I was initiated in my first meditation technique in 1973 and have been a student of many over the years. I was also intitatied into Buddist Mediation & the Boddhisattva Vows, by The Dalai Lama in 1994 and have facilitated community groups in what I call "universal meditation" since 1987. He gave me a set of mala beads and one of his prayer shawls that sit on my home alter. PS I am interested in learning more about the new technique called "telepathic voodoo"!!Regardsjeff

• 3 weeks later...

>> Meditation is just a simple process (though not always easy) that combines mental focus, attention and awareness with physical relaxation. Many of the different techniques such as visualization, counting breaths, counting mala beads, body sweeping, sounds, humming, candles, etc etc are just "tools" to help the person practive and develop focus, attention and awareness.

"Most of the brain regions identified to be changed through meditation were found in the right hemisphere, which is essential for sustaining attention. And attention is the focus of the meditation."

http://news./s/space/meditateonthisbuddhisttraditionthickenspartsofthebrain Meditation alters brain patterns in ways that are likely permanent, scientists have known. But a new study shows key parts of the brain actually get thicker through the practice. Brain imaging of regular working folks who meditate regularly revealed increased thickness in cortical regions related to sensory, auditory and visual perception, as well as internal perception -- the automatic monitoring of heart rate or breathing, for example. The study also indicates that regular meditation may slow age-related thinning of the frontal cortex. "What is most fascinating to me is the suggestion that meditation practice can change anyone's gray matter," said study team member Gray, an assistant professor of psychology at Yale. "The study participants were people with jobs and families. They just meditated on average 40 minutes each day, you don't have to be a monk." The research was led by Sara Lazar, assistant in psychology at Massachusetts General Hospital. It is detailed in the November issue of the journal NeuroReport. The study involved a small number of people, just 20. All had extensive training in Buddhist Insight meditation. But the researchers say the results are significant. Most of the brain regions identified to be changed through meditation were found in the right hemisphere, which is essential for sustaining attention. And attention is the focus of the meditation. Other forms of yoga and meditation likely have a similar impact on brain structure, the researchers speculate, but each tradition probably has a slightly different pattern of cortical thickening based on the specific mental exercises involved.