RemedySpot.com

Meditation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

>> Meditation is just a simple process (though not always easy) that combines mental focus, attention and awareness with physical relaxation. Many of the different techniques such as visualization, counting breaths, counting mala beads, body sweeping, sounds, humming, candles, etc etc are just "tools" to help the person practive and develop focus, attention and awareness.

"Most of the brain regions identified to be changed through meditation were found in the right hemisphere, which is essential for sustaining attention. And attention is the focus of the meditation."

http://news./s/space/meditateonthisbuddhisttraditionthickenspartsofthebrain Meditation alters brain patterns in ways that are likely permanent, scientists have known. But a new study shows key parts of the brain actually get thicker through the practice. Brain imaging of regular working folks who meditate regularly revealed increased thickness in cortical regions related to sensory, auditory and visual perception, as well as internal perception -- the automatic monitoring of heart rate or breathing, for example. The study also indicates that regular meditation may slow age-related thinning of the frontal cortex. "What is most fascinating to me is the suggestion that meditation practice can change anyone's gray matter," said study team member Gray, an assistant professor of psychology at Yale. "The study participants were people with jobs and families. They just meditated on average 40 minutes each day, you don't have to be a monk." The research was led by Sara Lazar, assistant in psychology at Massachusetts General Hospital. It is detailed in the November issue of the journal NeuroReport. The study involved a small number of people, just 20. All had extensive training in Buddhist Insight meditation. But the researchers say the results are significant. Most of the brain regions identified to be changed through meditation were found in the right hemisphere, which is essential for sustaining attention. And attention is the focus of the meditation. Other forms of yoga and meditation likely have a similar impact on brain structure, the researchers speculate, but each tradition probably has a slightly different pattern of cortical thickening based on the specific mental exercises involved.

So is it thinking about stuff that makes it "thicken" or thinking about nothing?

Seems to me you'd have to think a lot about something to be able to measure a thickening.

Regards.

RE: [ ] Meditation

>> Meditation is just a simple process (though not always easy) that combines mental focus, attention and awareness with physical relaxation. Many of the different techniques such as visualization, counting breaths, counting mala beads, body sweeping, sounds, humming, candles, etc etc are just "tools" to help the person practive and develop focus, attention and awareness.

"Most of the brain regions identified to be changed through meditation were found in the right hemisphere, which is essential for sustaining attention. And attention is the focus of the meditation."

http://news./s/space/meditateonthisbuddhisttraditionthickenspartsofthebrain Meditation alters brain patterns in ways that are likely permanent, scientists have known. But a new study shows key parts of the brain actually get thicker through the practice. Brain imaging of regular working folks who meditate regularly revealed increased thickness in cortical regions related to sensory, auditory and visual perception, as well as internal perception -- the automatic monitoring of heart rate or breathing, for example. The study also indicates that regular meditation may slow age-related thinning of the frontal cortex. "What is most fascinating to me is the suggestion that meditation practice can change anyone's gray matter," said study team member Gray, an assistant professor of psychology at Yale. "The study participants were people with jobs and families. They just meditated on average 40 minutes each day, you don't have to be a monk." The research was led by Sara Lazar, assistant in psychology at Massachusetts General Hospital. It is detailed in the November issue of the journal NeuroReport. The study involved a small number of people, just 20. All had extensive training in Buddhist Insight meditation. But the researchers say the results are significant. Most of the brain regions identified to be changed through meditation were found in the right hemisphere, which is essential for sustaining attention. And attention is the focus of the meditation. Other forms of yoga and meditation likely have a similar impact on brain structure, the researchers speculate, but each tradition probably has a slightly different pattern of cortical thickening based on the specific mental exercises involved.

So is it thinking about stuff that makes it "thicken" or thinking about nothing?

Seems to me you'd have to think a lot about something to be able to measure a thickening.

Regards.

RE: [ ] Meditation

>>> So is it thinking about stuff that makes it "thicken" or thinking about nothing? Seems to me you'd have to think a lot about something to be able to measure a thickening.

>>> The study also indicates that regular meditation may slow age-related thinning of the frontal cortex.

Maybe it just prevents the "thinning"

Jeff

>>> So is it thinking about stuff that makes it "thicken" or thinking about nothing? Seems to me you'd have to think a lot about something to be able to measure a thickening.

>>> The study also indicates that regular meditation may slow age-related thinning of the frontal cortex.

Maybe it just prevents the "thinning"

Jeff

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Meditation

The benefits of meditation are myriad; here are but a few. First and probably foremost, it calms you down and removes much of the stress and anxiety you no doubt experience in today's fast-paced society. Next, it opens your mind to allow for communication with the universe; it's much like adjusting the antenna on a snowy TV screen and tuning it in to a crisp picture. It also recharges and revitalizes you, filling you with energy. Another huge plus is that your focus is so much clearer when you exit your meditative state; you notice a lot more detail in your surroundings and the colors are more vivid. Meditation carries with it some surprises. Don't be alarmed by anything you see or experience in this state, just let it flow. Likewise, don't place too many expectations on what will happen during meditation, just let it happen.There are many types of meditations; this section lists but three. try to meditate three times a week, one-half hour a session, and shoot for one of each of these types during the course of the week. Note that meditation is difficult at first - don't be discouraged. Like anything, you won't get phenomenal results from the very beginning, but you will improve the more you practice. Depending on what's going on in your life, some sessions may be more difficult than others, even if you've been meditating a long time.Regardless of the type of meditation you do, you should have a space set aside in which to do so. It should be warm, comfortable, and most especially, quiet. It should be free from distractions - turn off the ringer on the phone and hang the "do not disturb" sign on the door. I highly recommend a portable CD player with headphones to block out the ambient noises outside your meditation chamber.Guided MeditationGuided meditation is, as the name implies, one through which you're led. A narrator paints a scenario for you, beginning with relaxation and generally taking you through nature trails of various types and for various purposes, depending on the subject of the guided meditation. There are many guided meditation CDs available; check your local New Age bookstore or hop online and do a search.Guided meditations are great for beginners as the narrator provides a distraction which helps to clear the mind and keep it focused. However, be careful not to become too dependant on having a narrator, as that can impede other types of meditation. A caveat: it's very common to get a step ahead of the narrator, to "predict" what's coming next. Don't be alarmed if you find yourself doing this.Freeform/Breathing MeditationThis is a more "traditional" form of meditation, and what many people think of when you use the term "meditation." With soothing music playing (again, there are many CDs on the market that are custom-tailored to provide background sounds/music by which to meditate), close your eyes and take deep breaths, focusing on the breathing in and out. Any time you find "noise" creeping into your mind (Did I pay the phone bill? Was my boss implying something in the meeting today?), dismiss it, and concentrate on your breathing. You may instead focus on a specific question or topic while you meditate, and listen for answers. Don't dismiss any information you receive, even if you feel like it's just your own imagination. God doesn't always use a burning bush to deliver His messages. Note that you may also see imagery while doing this meditation or feel physical sensations - go with it.This can be a difficult meditation for the beginner, but it is a very important method of meditation. Practice, practice, practice. Sending Out LoveIt's questionable whether or not this is truly "meditation", but I include it as part of my regimen as I feel so good afterwards, and it creates a lot of positive energy. I use this meditation when I'm having a really hard time focusing and clearing my mind, but don't want to do a guided meditation.Pretend there's a small door on your heart. Open that door, and feel the pure love pouring out. Picture someone in your mind, and send the love out of your heart like a lighthouse beacon to that person. Move on to other people. They don't necessarily have to be people that are still with us on this plane; I often start this exercise by sending love to friends and family members that have passed on. Move on to people that you know, your family, people at work, neighbors - pause on each individual for a minute or so. I have a problem with forgiveness, but I've found that if I send love out via this means to people that I'm angry with or just plain don't like, I often receive insights into why that person behaves the way that they do, which helps me to accept that person. Partway through your meditation, you might feel your beacon start to weaken. That's OK. Just imagine a pure, white light coming down from above, into the top of your head, and "recharging" your heart.http://rap.midco.net/spiritualstew/meditation.html