RemedySpot.com

RE: Jay & Emma

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I know how you feel. We have an older daughter who feels the need to explain to people about Emma's cast, and we have to careful how we act in front of her, because she pays attention to every little thing my wife does, and mimics her quite a bit. I have to say though, it probably was something to see a little 3 year old put some teenagers in their place. Luckily most people are just curious and usually very kind about the whole situation. And we're just thankful that most people are that way, instead of rude. Now that your daughter is older, does she seem to handle everything okay, if people stare or whatnot? I'm sure she's a very strong young lady. Well, Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season.

Jay (Emma, 11 months old, in 3rd cast)

From: hrhandco <heather@infantilesc oliosis.org>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] cast experiencesTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 1:19 PM

Those last posts reminded me of an issue that pops-up on the group afew times a year. And, that is the way strangers respond to seeingour children in plaster casts...My reaction to the way strangers acted after seeing my toddler in acast was so much better, if they respond positively. In the beginningof Liv's casting experience (age 2.10) I would react horribly, ifsomeone was staring or pointing…..To the point of confrontation (bad,I know.....)! After 5 years of serial casting, my response improved abit (ha-ha) and I would say something inviting to break the ice, like"cool cast, huh,?" or "want to touch it?" Even the adults would smileand want to learn more. I know many of us have gone through this……… Rochelle & Shara (and a few other members over the years) came up witha good suggestion that would act as an ice

breaker and ET/scoliosisawareness tool. ISOP could provide small cards that would explain theET casting process and the importance of it in simple, brief terms. The info card would include the website addy and would invite thecurious to learn more about it. The info card could also put torest any suspicion strangers may have that your child has been hurt. Honestly, it's happened to us more than once. Some (ignorant) peoplehave been downright rude and mean and I think it's because theysuspected I was a neglectful mother and hadn't cared for Oliviaproperly… Perhaps, she had fallen down the stairs, had a horribleaccident, or worse….(?)Have any of you experienced anything similar to this? If so, pleaseshare and let me know your recommendations on the info card.Thanks a lot!HRH

I know how you feel. We have an older daughter who feels the need to explain to people about Emma's cast, and we have to careful how we act in front of her, because she pays attention to every little thing my wife does, and mimics her quite a bit. I have to say though, it probably was something to see a little 3 year old put some teenagers in their place. Luckily most people are just curious and usually very kind about the whole situation. And we're just thankful that most people are that way, instead of rude. Now that your daughter is older, does she seem to handle everything okay, if people stare or whatnot? I'm sure she's a very strong young lady. Well, Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season.

Jay (Emma, 11 months old, in 3rd cast)

From: hrhandco <heather@infantilesc oliosis.org>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] cast experiencesTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 1:19 PM

Those last posts reminded me of an issue that pops-up on the group afew times a year. And, that is the way strangers respond to seeingour children in plaster casts...My reaction to the way strangers acted after seeing my toddler in acast was so much better, if they respond positively. In the beginningof Liv's casting experience (age 2.10) I would react horribly, ifsomeone was staring or pointing…..To the point of confrontation (bad,I know.....)! After 5 years of serial casting, my response improved abit (ha-ha) and I would say something inviting to break the ice, like"cool cast, huh,?" or "want to touch it?" Even the adults would smileand want to learn more. I know many of us have gone through this……… Rochelle & Shara (and a few other members over the years) came up witha good suggestion that would act as an ice

breaker and ET/scoliosisawareness tool. ISOP could provide small cards that would explain theET casting process and the importance of it in simple, brief terms. The info card would include the website addy and would invite thecurious to learn more about it. The info card could also put torest any suspicion strangers may have that your child has been hurt. Honestly, it's happened to us more than once. Some (ignorant) peoplehave been downright rude and mean and I think it's because theysuspected I was a neglectful mother and hadn't cared for Oliviaproperly… Perhaps, she had fallen down the stairs, had a horribleaccident, or worse….(?)Have any of you experienced anything similar to this? If so, pleaseshare and let me know your recommendations on the info card.Thanks a lot!HRH

I like her gumption, so to speak! Wonder where she gets it from!!!! Steph

Well, things have changed a bit for Olivia since casting. Olivias last

plaster jacket was applied in SLC by Miss Mehta at the ETTP in May 05..

After this jacket, she was braced w/ neck support for a couple of years

until she had again regressed back to 100. A halo was applied pre op (6

wks)....Then, we had to make decisions re: surgery. Olivias rotation is

so severe that the only way to effectively maintain and address it was

some type of internal distraction. Since, the VEPTR installation in March

06, she has not worn a cast or brace and the left rod holds down/hides her

rib hump, significantly. Her severe scoliosis is not as noticeable as one

would imagine it to be. No one really stares, anymore. Of course, this

could change because she is only 10....Pre teens may be a bit nicer than

teens. I hope this issue doesnt get worse in Liv's teen years, but it

may.

This topic will probably arise again.....

Glad, we can brainstorm together on how to best address the challenges our

little ones go through.

Have a happy, HEALTHY, holiday season!

Warm Regards,

HRH

> ,

> I know how you feel. We have an older daughter who feels the need to

> explain to people about Emma's cast, and we have to careful how we act in

> front of her, because she pays attention to every little thing my wife

> does, and mimics her quite a bit. I have to say though, it probably was

> something to see a little 3 year old put some teenagers in their place.

> Luckily most people are just curious and usually very kind about the whole

> situation. And we're just thankful that most people are that way, instead

> of rude. Now that your daughter is older, does she seem to handle

> everything okay, if people stare or whatnot? I'm sure she's a very strong

> young lady. Well, Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday

> season.

> Jay (Emma, 11 months old, in 3rd cast)

>

>

> From: hrhandco <heather@infantilesc oliosis.org>

> Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] cast experiences

> To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. com

> Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 1:19 PM

>

>

>

> Those last posts reminded me of an issue that pops-up on the group a

> few times a year. And, that is the way strangers respond to seeing

> our children in plaster casts...

> My reaction to the way strangers acted after seeing my toddler in a

> cast was so much better, if they respond positively. In the beginning

> of Liv's casting experience (age 2.10) I would react horribly, if

> someone was staring or pointing…..To the point of confrontation (bad,

> I know.....)! After 5 years of serial casting, my response improved a

> bit (ha-ha) and I would say something inviting to break the ice, like

> " cool cast, huh,? " or " want to touch it? " Even the adults would smile

> and want to learn more. I know many of us have gone through this………

> Rochelle & Shara (and a few other members over the years) came up with

> a good suggestion that would act as an ice breaker and ET/scoliosis

> awareness tool. ISOP could provide small cards that would explain the

> ET casting process and the importance of it in simple, brief terms.

> The info card would include the website addy and would invite the

> curious to learn more about it. The info card could also put to

> rest any suspicion strangers may have that your child has been hurt.

> Honestly, it's happened to us more than once. Some (ignorant) people

> have been downright rude and mean and I think it's because they

> suspected I was a neglectful mother and hadn't cared for Olivia

> properly… Perhaps, she had fallen down the stairs, had a horrible

> accident, or worse….(?)

> Have any of you experienced anything similar to this? If so, please

> share and let me know your recommendations on the info card.

> Thanks a lot!

> HRH

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>