RemedySpot.com

Self intro of Betty - Caledonia, MS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello everyone!

I am Betty Barker & I live in Lowndes County, MS. It is a very rural county about 2/3 of the way up the state, right on the MS/AL line.

I'm not quite surehow to classify myself. Am I a raw milk consumer, a wanna-be consumer or a farmer? I don't currently have any goats so I am not currently a consumer but I am shopping for some so I guess that makes me a wanna be & when we get them I will be a farmer again.

I moved here from TX almost 3 years ago. Back there, we had ND goats & really enjoyed being a consumer. We were unable to bring our goats with us when we came, so we gave them to a friend. Now, we have land again & are preparing to get some new goats. We have to finish fencing first.

Sometimes I think I am getting too old for this (66) but then I remember how much I enjoyed it & figure I can keep up with 2 or 3. I also want to get a couple of sheep & heard their milk makes great cheese but have never tried it.

I also learned that the law in MS is as follows:

On-farm sales of raw goat milk are legal if the selling farm has no more than nine milk producing goats lactating on it. The farmer cannot advertise and must sell directly to the consumer.

That seems pretty simple to me, not that I expect to have that much extra milk. I suppose you just have to let people know by word of mouth. I guess I can do that. LOL

Anyway, at this point, I am looking for a couple of ND's for not too much, as we are both on SS. There does not seem to be too many ND's in this area. I like them because I have a lot of arthritis & they aren't too big for me to handle.

I guess that is enough about me. I look forward to making lots of new friends on this sight & learning a lot.

Betty