RemedySpot.com

Re: The Plight of The Empath or Highly Senstive Person (HSP)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Alison,

Thank You again for the much needed info.

Peace and Love,

Lynn

--- In , " alisonkain " <alisonkain@...>

wrote:

>

>

> The Plight of the Empath

> or Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)

>

>

> by Kathy

>

>

> I see many clients in my practice as a hypnotherapist and consultant

> that are overwhelmed by or stuck in some intensely negative,

recurring

> emotion-- especially guilt. Some exhibit such intense and

unexplained

> sorrow they say things like, " I've been crying all week for no

reason! "

>

> I would characterize most, if not all, of these clients as: highly

> spiritually evolved, accepting responsibility for their own lives,

> serious about working through their issues and open-minded.

>

> So why can't they seem to get past these problems? When I began to

> intently study this phenomenon, I started seeing similarities and

making

> connections.

>

> Most of these clients would spend as much time (in the pre-talk

portion

> of their sessions) relating other people's problems and how they

were

> affected by them as they did " their own stuff. " They frequently made

> comments regarding seemingly unexplained anger, grief or guilt in

> themselves, that they simultaneously recognized, yet could easily

> explain in friends and relatives.

>

> What I began to realize was that these clients were not only

extremely

> empathic, but had no idea what to do about it. In fact, I now

believe at

> least 60 percent of my current clients are highly empathic and, of

> these, a large portion of the emotional problems they suffer from

are

> not their own.

>

> As synchronicity would have it, shortly after I made this

connection, my

> copy of Issue #29 of Intuition Magazine arrived. There, on page 8,

> begins an article by Maggie Oman , titled The Sensitivity

Trait.

> Oman's article chronicles the work of research psychologist and

> psychotherapist Elaine Aron. Aron, highly empathic herself, claims,

> " high sensitivity can be an asset if you arrange your life to

> accommodate this gift. " Her book, The Highly Sensitive Person : How

to

> Thrive when the World Overwhelms You

> <http://clk.about.com/?zi=7/5d & sdn=healing & zms=%252Fmsrch%

252Findex.jhtm\

> l%253Fc%253Dbookisbn%2526pgid%253Dshop%2526pid%253D0553062182> ,

details

> her research findings, which include:

>

> The brains of highly sensitive people have more activity and blood

flow

> in the right hemisphere, indicating an internal rather than an

external

> focus. What is moderately arousing to most people is overwhelming to

> HSPs. HSPs often have decreased serotonin levels resulting from the

> repeated stress of over arousal.

>

> Likewise, they have more reactive immune systems (allergies) and

more

> sensitive nervous systems.

>

> The sensitivity trait is just as likely among men as among women;

both

> represent about 20 percent of the population.

>

> Some recommendations of Aron's for HSPs:

>

> Spend at least eight to ten hours per day in bed, whether sleeping

or

> not, plus an extra two hours spent in meditation or other forms of

> solitude and one hour of outdoor exercise.

>

> Make sure to have plenty of " down time " , including: one full day per

> week completely off, one month of vacation per year (split up,

> preferably), time with animals and plants in nature as often as

> possible.

>

> Keep the following items on hand: earplugs (for loud noise), silk

wrap

> or blanket of natural materials (to cuddle up in with favorite

herbal

> tea), flowers, candles, incense (to please all the senses), protein

> snacks (as sensory over arousal depletes blood sugar).

>

> I've uncovered my own recommendations from working with HSPs.

First, use

> some form of releasing therapy, such as Yoga therapy; hypnotherapy;

> energy work of any kind, such as Reiki; Dance; MAP or ACCESS,

to " let

> go " of stuck emotions, whether yours or someone else's. Then

practice

> either a shielding or a channeling /transmuting program.

>

> In a shielding program, HSPs would typically visualize surrounding

> themselves with white light and placing a reflective shield outside

the

> light, so negative energies from others get sent back. This, I

believe

> is the most commonly used type of protection. In a similar concept,

> Native Americans brought us " smudging " using Sage sticks. A healer

> friend of mine has a prayer she uses in the shower, " Please let all

> negative emotions that are not mine be washed away in this shower. "

>

> However, I agree with Judith Orloff, MD, who spoke recently during a

> Mind Science Foundation lecture. She said she made a conscious

decision,

> even though highly empathic herself, not to shield herself, but to

open

> 100 percent to her vulnerability.

>

> If this idea fits better with your belief system, you can still

> strengthen yourself by seeing yourself as a channel for a higher

energy

> source, instead of someone who needs protection. Something that

worked

> very well for me during a big shift in my own consciousness was to

sing

> " The Prayer of St. Francis " over and over again as a mantra. (This

> prayer, set to music, begins " Make me a channel of Your peace. Where

> there is hatred, let me bring Your love... " ) And, actually visualize

> yourself as some form of pipe or other conduit, allowing Universal

> energy to flow through you to heal people and situations around

you. I

> have a friend who allows the negative energy of others to flow

through

> him and sends it into Mother Earth to be transmuted into positive

again.

> Just sitting in the same room with him is extremely refreshing and

> empowering. You don't have to be born with this talent; you can

develop

> it, and, in the process, heal your own life. Through the use of

these

> and other techniques, being born highly sensitive can truly become a

> blessing. If you'd like more information on this subject, I highly

> recommend either of Judith Orloff's books or the one highlighted in

this

> article, by Elaine Aron.

>

>

> About this contributor: Kathy , MBA, CH, is in full-time

practice

> as a hypnotist and motivational consultant. She is also co-producer

of a

> holistic health show in the San area

> (www.welltv.freeservers.com) called Wellness Connection. For more

> information, visit her website at www.mooreinspire.com

> <http://www.mooreinspire.com/>

>

Thank you Thank you THANK YOU!

(I don't have an internet connection at this time and so I happen to be at a cafe, attempting to read 227 emails in an hour lol...)

I'm sooo glad I got to read this article you've sent, Alison- before my hour's up...

I feel that today is my day to read more about empaths as everyday I feel I'm more of an empath than the day before...Does that make sense? It's like out of all those reads, my inner self wanted me to read this one to understand myself better and guide myself to better ways of coping with so much, well, energy.

Thank you, really, from the bottom of my heart for sharing such a useful article with us =)

After having a reiki session and reading this, I already feel much lighter and well, balanced. :big smile:

Love, love, love this group...

til the next time I'm in a net cafe!

love n light to all,

" alice " /Alanoud

On 8/16/07, alisonkain <alisonkain@...> wrote:

The Plight of the Empathor Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)

by Kathy

I see many clients in my practice as a hypnotherapist and consultant that are overwhelmed by or stuck in some intensely negative, recurring emotion-- especially guilt. Some exhibit such intense and unexplained sorrow they say things like, " I've been crying all week for no reason! " I would characterize most, if not all, of these clients as: highly spiritually evolved, accepting responsibility for their own lives, serious about working through their issues and open-minded. So why can't they seem to get past these problems? When I began to intently study this phenomenon, I started seeing similarities and making connections. Most of these clients would spend as much time (in the pre-talk portion of their sessions) relating other people's problems and how they were affected by them as they did " their own stuff. " They frequently made comments regarding seemingly unexplained anger, grief or guilt in themselves, that they simultaneously recognized, yet could easily explain in friends and relatives. What I began to realize was that these clients were not only extremely empathic, but had no idea what to do about it. In fact, I now believe at least 60 percent of my current clients are highly empathic and, of these, a large portion of the emotional problems they suffer from are not their own. As synchronicity would have it, shortly after I made this connection, my copy of Issue #29 of Intuition Magazine arrived. There, on page 8, begins an article by Maggie Oman , titled The Sensitivity Trait. Oman's article chronicles the work of research psychologist and psychotherapist Elaine Aron. Aron, highly empathic herself, claims, " high sensitivity can be an asset if you arrange your life to accommodate this gift. " Her book,

The Highly Sensitive Person : How to Thrive when the World Overwhelms You, details her research findings, which include: The brains of highly sensitive people have more activity and blood flow in the right hemisphere, indicating an internal rather than an external focus. What is moderately arousing to most people is overwhelming to HSPs. HSPs often have decreased serotonin levels resulting from the repeated stress of over arousal. Likewise, they have more reactive immune systems (allergies) and more sensitive nervous systems.

The sensitivity trait is just as likely among men as among women; both represent about 20 percent of the population. Some recommendations of Aron's for HSPs: Spend at least eight to ten hours per day in bed, whether sleeping or not, plus an extra two hours spent in meditation or other forms of solitude and one hour of outdoor exercise. Make sure to have plenty of " down time " , including: one full day per week completely off, one month of vacation per year (split up, preferably), time with animals and plants in nature as often as possible. Keep the following items on hand: earplugs (for loud noise), silk wrap or blanket of natural materials (to cuddle up in with favorite herbal tea), flowers, candles, incense (to please all the senses), protein snacks (as sensory over arousal depletes blood sugar). I've uncovered my own recommendations from working with HSPs. First, use some form of releasing therapy, such as Yoga therapy; hypnotherapy; energy work of any kind, such as Reiki; Dance; MAP or ACCESS, to " let go " of stuck emotions, whether yours or someone else's. Then practice either a shielding or a channeling /transmuting program. In a shielding program, HSPs would typically visualize surrounding themselves with white light and placing a reflective shield outside the light, so negative energies from others get sent back. This, I believe is the most commonly used type of protection. In a similar concept, Native Americans brought us " smudging " using Sage sticks. A healer friend of mine has a prayer she uses in the shower, " Please let all negative emotions that are not mine be washed away in this shower. " However, I agree with Judith Orloff, MD, who spoke recently during a Mind Science Foundation lecture. She said she made a conscious decision, even though highly empathic herself, not to shield herself, but to open 100 percent to her vulnerability. If this idea fits better with your belief system, you can still strengthen yourself by seeing yourself as a channel for a higher energy source, instead of someone who needs protection. Something that worked very well for me during a big shift in my own consciousness was to sing " The Prayer of St. Francis " over and over again as a mantra. (This prayer, set to music, begins " Make me a channel of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring Your love... " ) And, actually visualize yourself as some form of pipe or other conduit, allowing Universal energy to flow through you to heal people and situations around you. I have a friend who allows the negative energy of others to flow through him and sends it into Mother Earth to be transmuted into positive again. Just sitting in the same room with him is extremely refreshing and empowering. You don't have to be born with this talent; you can develop it, and, in the process, heal your own life. Through the use of these and other techniques, being born highly sensitive can truly become a blessing. If you'd like more information on this subject, I highly recommend either of Judith Orloff's books or the one highlighted in this article, by Elaine Aron.

About this contributor: Kathy , MBA, CH, is in full-time practice as a hypnotist and motivational consultant. She is also co-producer of a holistic health show in the San area (

www.welltv.freeservers.com) called Wellness Connection. For more information, visit her website at

www.mooreinspire.com

Awww....you are entirely welcome sweet and beloved Alice! I am just very glad the timing was in sync for you...this article helped me most when I needed it most, too. *grin* Love you lots and lots...~Ali~Alice Wonderful <alice5wonderful@...> wrote: Thank you Thank you THANK YOU! (I don't have an

internet connection at this time and so I happen to be at a cafe, attempting to read 227 emails in an hour lol...) I'm sooo glad I got to read this article you've sent, Alison- before my hour's up... I feel that today is my day to read more about empaths as everyday I feel I'm more of an empath than the day before...Does that make sense? It's like out of all those reads, my inner self wanted me to read this one to understand myself better and guide myself to better ways of coping with so much, well, energy. Thank you, really, from the bottom of my heart for sharing such a useful article with us =) After having a reiki session and reading this, I already feel much lighter and well, balanced. :big smile: Love, love, love this group... til the next time I'm in a net cafe! love n light to all, "alice"/Alanoud On 8/16/07, alisonkain <alisonkain > wrote: The Plight of the Empathor Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) by Kathy I see many clients in my practice as a hypnotherapist and consultant that

are overwhelmed by or stuck in some intensely negative, recurring emotion-- especially guilt. Some exhibit such intense and unexplained sorrow they say things like, "I've been crying all week for no reason!" I would characterize most, if not all, of these clients as: highly spiritually evolved, accepting responsibility for their own lives, serious about working through their issues and open-minded. So why can't they seem to get past these problems? When I began to intently study this phenomenon, I started seeing similarities and making connections. Most of these clients would spend as much time (in the pre-talk portion of their sessions) relating other people's problems and how they were affected by them as they did "their own stuff." They frequently made comments

regarding seemingly unexplained anger, grief or guilt in themselves, that they simultaneously recognized, yet could easily explain in friends and relatives. What I began to realize was that these clients were not only extremely empathic, but had no idea what to do about it. In fact, I now believe at least 60 percent of my current clients are highly empathic and, of these, a large portion of the emotional problems they suffer from are not their own. As synchronicity would have it, shortly after I made this connection, my copy of Issue #29 of Intuition Magazine arrived. There, on page 8, begins an article by Maggie Oman , titled The Sensitivity Trait. Oman's article chronicles the work of research psychologist and psychotherapist Elaine Aron. Aron, highly empathic herself, claims, "high sensitivity can be an asset if you

arrange your life to accommodate this gift." Her book, The Highly Sensitive Person : How to Thrive when the World Overwhelms You, details her research findings, which include: The brains of highly sensitive people have more activity and blood flow in the right hemisphere, indicating an internal rather than an external focus. What is moderately arousing to most people is overwhelming to HSPs. HSPs often have decreased serotonin levels resulting from the repeated stress of over arousal. Likewise, they have more reactive immune systems

(allergies) and more sensitive nervous systems. The sensitivity trait is just as likely among men as among women; both represent about 20 percent of the population. Some recommendations of Aron's for HSPs: Spend at least eight to ten hours per day in bed, whether sleeping or not, plus an extra two hours spent in meditation or other forms of solitude and one hour of outdoor exercise. Make sure to have plenty of "down time", including: one full day per week completely off, one month of vacation per year (split up, preferably), time with animals and plants in nature as often as possible. Keep the following items on hand: earplugs (for loud

noise), silk wrap or blanket of natural materials (to cuddle up in with favorite herbal tea), flowers, candles, incense (to please all the senses), protein snacks (as sensory over arousal depletes blood sugar). I've uncovered my own recommendations from working with HSPs. First, use some form of releasing therapy, such as Yoga therapy; hypnotherapy; energy work of any kind, such as Reiki; Dance; MAP or ACCESS, to "let go" of stuck emotions, whether yours or someone else's. Then practice either a shielding or a channeling /transmuting program. In a shielding program, HSPs would typically visualize surrounding themselves with white light and placing a reflective shield outside the light, so negative energies from others get sent back. This, I believe is the most commonly used type of protection. In a similar concept, Native Americans brought

us "smudging" using Sage sticks. A healer friend of mine has a prayer she uses in the shower, "Please let all negative emotions that are not mine be washed away in this shower." However, I agree with Judith Orloff, MD, who spoke recently during a Mind Science Foundation lecture. She said she made a conscious decision, even though highly empathic herself, not to shield herself, but to open 100 percent to her vulnerability. If this idea fits better with your belief system, you can still strengthen yourself by seeing yourself as a channel for a higher energy source, instead of someone who needs protection. Something that worked very well for me during a big shift in my own consciousness was to sing "The Prayer of St. Francis" over and over again as a mantra. (This prayer, set to music, begins "Make me a channel of Your peace. Where there is

hatred, let me bring Your love...") And, actually visualize yourself as some form of pipe or other conduit, allowing Universal energy to flow through you to heal people and situations around you. I have a friend who allows the negative energy of others to flow through him and sends it into Mother Earth to be transmuted into positive again. Just sitting in the same room with him is extremely refreshing and empowering. You don't have to be born with this talent; you can develop it, and, in the process, heal your own life. Through the use of these and other techniques, being born highly sensitive can truly become a blessing. If you'd like more information on this subject, I highly recommend either of Judith Orloff's books or the one highlighted in this article, by Elaine Aron. About this contributor: Kathy , MBA, CH, is in full-time

practice as a hypnotist and motivational consultant. She is also co-producer of a holistic health show in the San area ( www.welltv.freeservers.com) called Wellness Connection. For more information, visit her website at www.mooreinspire.com

Dear Ali,

Thank you for posting this! I truly feel so glad that what I

have felt my whole life is what society would label " REAL " . I say,

it is what I have felt all of my life. I can feel others feelings

and so completely relate to them and it is just amazing to know that

I am not alone, there are soooooo many of us! Especially in Our

Family here!! The recommendations for rest, oh, how lovely, that I

shall definitely practice...I have been allowing myself more and more

time for meditation as of late and encourage all my brothers and

sisters here that are feelin low, on energy, light, etc...Indulge

yourself in self love!!! It is the most awesome blessing! Ali, you

are truly a gift and a blessed friend! Your kind and sweet words

always pick me up!! Love and light, LUNA

--- In , " alisonkain " <alisonkain@...>

wrote:

>

>

> The Plight of the Empath

> or Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)

>

>

> by Kathy

>

>

> I see many clients in my practice as a hypnotherapist and consultant

> that are overwhelmed by or stuck in some intensely negative,

recurring

> emotion-- especially guilt. Some exhibit such intense and

unexplained

> sorrow they say things like, " I've been crying all week for no

reason! "

>

> I would characterize most, if not all, of these clients as: highly

> spiritually evolved, accepting responsibility for their own lives,

> serious about working through their issues and open-minded.

>

> So why can't they seem to get past these problems? When I began to

> intently study this phenomenon, I started seeing similarities and

making

> connections.

>

> Most of these clients would spend as much time (in the pre-talk

portion

> of their sessions) relating other people's problems and how they

were

> affected by them as they did " their own stuff. " They frequently made

> comments regarding seemingly unexplained anger, grief or guilt in

> themselves, that they simultaneously recognized, yet could easily

> explain in friends and relatives.

>

> What I began to realize was that these clients were not only

extremely

> empathic, but had no idea what to do about it. In fact, I now

believe at

> least 60 percent of my current clients are highly empathic and, of

> these, a large portion of the emotional problems they suffer from

are

> not their own.

>

> As synchronicity would have it, shortly after I made this

connection, my

> copy of Issue #29 of Intuition Magazine arrived. There, on page 8,

> begins an article by Maggie Oman , titled The Sensitivity

Trait.

> Oman's article chronicles the work of research psychologist and

> psychotherapist Elaine Aron. Aron, highly empathic herself, claims,

> " high sensitivity can be an asset if you arrange your life to

> accommodate this gift. " Her book, The Highly Sensitive Person : How

to

> Thrive when the World Overwhelms You

> <http://clk.about.com/?zi=7/5d & sdn=healing & zms=%252Fmsrch%

252Findex.jhtm\

> l%253Fc%253Dbookisbn%2526pgid%253Dshop%2526pid%253D0553062182> ,

details

> her research findings, which include:

>

> The brains of highly sensitive people have more activity and blood

flow

> in the right hemisphere, indicating an internal rather than an

external

> focus. What is moderately arousing to most people is overwhelming to

> HSPs. HSPs often have decreased serotonin levels resulting from the

> repeated stress of over arousal.

>

> Likewise, they have more reactive immune systems (allergies) and

more

> sensitive nervous systems.

>

> The sensitivity trait is just as likely among men as among women;

both

> represent about 20 percent of the population.

>

> Some recommendations of Aron's for HSPs:

>

> Spend at least eight to ten hours per day in bed, whether sleeping

or

> not, plus an extra two hours spent in meditation or other forms of

> solitude and one hour of outdoor exercise.

>

> Make sure to have plenty of " down time " , including: one full day per

> week completely off, one month of vacation per year (split up,

> preferably), time with animals and plants in nature as often as

> possible.

>

> Keep the following items on hand: earplugs (for loud noise), silk

wrap

> or blanket of natural materials (to cuddle up in with favorite

herbal

> tea), flowers, candles, incense (to please all the senses), protein

> snacks (as sensory over arousal depletes blood sugar).

>

> I've uncovered my own recommendations from working with HSPs.

First, use

> some form of releasing therapy, such as Yoga therapy; hypnotherapy;

> energy work of any kind, such as Reiki; Dance; MAP or ACCESS,

to " let

> go " of stuck emotions, whether yours or someone else's. Then

practice

> either a shielding or a channeling /transmuting program.

>

> In a shielding program, HSPs would typically visualize surrounding

> themselves with white light and placing a reflective shield outside

the

> light, so negative energies from others get sent back. This, I

believe

> is the most commonly used type of protection. In a similar concept,

> Native Americans brought us " smudging " using Sage sticks. A healer

> friend of mine has a prayer she uses in the shower, " Please let all

> negative emotions that are not mine be washed away in this shower. "

>

> However, I agree with Judith Orloff, MD, who spoke recently during a