RemedySpot.com

Re: cast experiences

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think the info card might be useful for those parents who do not appreciate the staring or who might not always want to give the long explanation. My son was a preemie and prior to the casting had to wear the helmet for plagiocephaly and for a brief time period used a walker to help with walking. So, by the time we got to the cast, I didn't really care about people's staring too much :) Truthfully I don't think many people noticed when we were out and about, because underneath the clothes it wasn't too obvious. Occasionally we would get a comment like "he's a sturdy boy", but I usually didn't even bother explaining he had a cast. I have actually noticed more looks with the brace than I did with the cast, because the way his brace was cut the tail end

would often peek out below the shirt and people would see it. No one ever made a rude comment and I don't even really remember any questions about it, but I did get some stares occassionally. I often wondered if they were thinking that he had been injured because I was neglectful, etc. Especially. when he was being a rowdy boy at the time they were starting at him :) I would usually just smile at the person starting and they would either smile back or look away. But, I never bothered offering any info unless someone asked.

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 2:19:36 PMSubject: cast experiences

Those last posts reminded me of an issue that pops-up on the group afew times a year. And, that is the way strangers respond to seeingour children in plaster casts...My reaction to the way strangers acted after seeing my toddler in acast was so much better, if they respond positively. In the beginningof Liv's casting experience (age 2.10) I would react horribly, ifsomeone was staring or pointing…..To the point of confrontation (bad,I know.....)! After 5 years of serial casting, my response improved abit (ha-ha) and I would say something inviting to break the ice, like"cool cast, huh,?" or "want to touch it?" Even the adults would smileand want to learn more. I know many of us have gone through this……… Rochelle & Shara (and a few other members over the years) came up witha good suggestion that would act as an ice breaker and ET/scoliosisawareness tool. ISOP could provide small cards that

would explain theET casting process and the importance of it in simple, brief terms. The info card would include the website addy and would invite thecurious to learn more about it. The info card could also put torest any suspicion strangers may have that your child has been hurt. Honestly, it's happened to us more than once. Some (ignorant) peoplehave been downright rude and mean and I think it's because theysuspected I was a neglectful mother and hadn't cared for Oliviaproperly… Perhaps, she had fallen down the stairs, had a horribleaccident, or worse….(?)Have any of you experienced anything similar to this? If so, pleaseshare and let me know your recommendations on the info card.Thanks a lot!HRH

Although we are done with casting I would have gladly handed something like that out while was going through casting.ANYTIME anyone gave him a second glance I was more than happy and willing to start sharing. Regardless if they wanted to know or not I would explain.And there were times I could tell people were thinking, why did I stare at that kid? Now his Mom will not shut up! No one was ever rude, just interested and unsure of what they were seeing. Once I started explaining they were stunned a young child could have scoliosis.I felt it was the perfect opportunity to put a bug in their ear about Infantile Scoliosis.I wouldn't mind having something like that now. In different situations something will come about having scoliosis. I would love to be able to have something small to hand out.To

me that is an easy way to spread the word.Just my thinking.TashaMommy of twin boys- and 3 1/2 years oldFort Worth, Texas is currently in a brace at night.Casting 14 months.Subject: cast experiencesTo: infantile_scoliosis Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 1:19 PM

Those last posts reminded me of an issue that pops-up on the group a

few times a year. And, that is the way strangers respond to seeing

our children in plaster casts...

My reaction to the way strangers acted after seeing my toddler in a

cast was so much better, if they respond positively. In the beginning

of Liv's casting experience (age 2.10) I would react horribly, if

someone was staring or pointing…..To the point of confrontation (bad,

I know.....)! After 5 years of serial casting, my response improved a

bit (ha-ha) and I would say something inviting to break the ice, like

"cool cast, huh,?" or "want to touch it?" Even the adults would smile

and want to learn more. I know many of us have gone through this………

Rochelle & Shara (and a few other members over the years) came up with

a good suggestion that would act as an ice breaker and ET/scoliosis

awareness tool. ISOP could provide small cards that would explain the

ET casting process and the importance of it in simple, brief terms.

The info card would include the website addy and would invite the

curious to learn more about it. The info card could also put to

rest any suspicion strangers may have that your child has been hurt.

Honestly, it's happened to us more than once. Some (ignorant) people

have been downright rude and mean and I think it's because they

suspected I was a neglectful mother and hadn't cared for Olivia

properly… Perhaps, she had fallen down the stairs, had a horrible

accident, or worse….(?)

Have any of you experienced anything similar to this? If so, please

share and let me know your recommendations on the info card.

Thanks a lot!

HRH

I think having an info card might be a good idea. Not only to explain why our children have casts on, but also to get the word out there about infantile scoliosis and alternatives to surgery. It is not a very known thing so if we gave a card to somebody who was curious, maybe that card and info would come in handy down the road to somebody someday. Its a great way to acknowledge people about ISOP. I never had any real negative feedback about Hadley's cast. Ive had people stare or take a second look, but no bad comments. I think the worst thing for me was when other children would play with Hadley. She's only 19 months, so she attracted little girls who loved to be mothery just because of her age. But then once they started playing with her, they would try picking her up or holding her on their lap and would notice she's hard... Then they would

start telling other kids and start feeling her and talking about it. I know its just their curiosity, but sometimes it's hard for me to watch because I want her to be treated like any other little toddler out there. Thankfully for her cute personality(not to brag or anything :) ), the kids usually overlook the "weird body" she has and plays with her anyways. However, a lot of them can't carry her around because she's either too heavy or just hard to hold with the cast. I also get some comments like, "she looks like a football player" mostly from inlaws, which sometimes bothers me, but I come back and just say, "and ya, she's as strong as one too" because having a cast is making her muscle woman. :) Sometimes I wish she didn't have to wear the big bulky cast that made her look bigger and I wish her little petite figure would be seen, but in the long run, it's only for the best!Anyways, Great topic! I look forward to hearing other

experiences! And thanks for allowing me to share mine! :)ShaunaFrom: hrhandco <heather@infantilesc oliosis.org>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] cast experiencesTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 1:19 PM

Those last posts reminded me of an issue that pops-up on the group a

few times a year. And, that is the way strangers respond to seeing

our children in plaster casts...

My reaction to the way strangers acted after seeing my toddler in a

cast was so much better, if they respond positively. In the beginning

of Liv's casting experience (age 2.10) I would react horribly, if

someone was staring or pointing…..To the point of confrontation (bad,

I know.....)! After 5 years of serial casting, my response improved a

bit (ha-ha) and I would say something inviting to break the ice, like

"cool cast, huh,?" or "want to touch it?" Even the adults would smile

and want to learn more. I know many of us have gone through this………

Rochelle & Shara (and a few other members over the years) came up with

a good suggestion that would act as an ice breaker and ET/scoliosis

awareness tool. ISOP could provide small cards that would explain the

ET casting process and the importance of it in simple, brief terms.

The info card would include the website addy and would invite the

curious to learn more about it. The info card could also put to

rest any suspicion strangers may have that your child has been hurt.

Honestly, it's happened to us more than once. Some (ignorant) people

have been downright rude and mean and I think it's because they

suspected I was a neglectful mother and hadn't cared for Olivia

properly… Perhaps, she had fallen down the stairs, had a horrible

accident, or worse….(?)

Have any of you experienced anything similar to this? If so, please

share and let me know your recommendations on the info card.

Thanks a lot!

HRH

This sounds like an amazing idea! I know as we're getting ready to

embark down this road, I am sure I will get many stares and questions,

and I'd dare say it would help a lot not to have to repeat the same

thing every time..much easier to say, " here, read this... " :)

> From: hrhandco <heather@infantilesc oliosis.org>

> Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] cast experiences

> To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. com

> Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 1:19 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Those last posts reminded me of an issue that pops-up on

the group a

>

> few times a year. And, that is the way strangers respond to seeing

>

> our children in plaster casts...

>

> My reaction to the way strangers acted after seeing my toddler in a

>

> cast was so much better, if they respond positively. In the beginning

>

> of Liv's casting experience (age 2.10) I would react horribly, if

>

> someone was staring or pointing…..To the point of confrontation (bad,

>

> I know.....)! After 5 years of serial casting, my response improved a

>

> bit (ha-ha) and I would say something inviting to break the ice, like

>

> " cool cast, huh,? " or " want to touch it? " Even the adults would smile

>

> and want to learn more. I know many of us have gone through this………

>

> Rochelle & Shara (and a few other members over the years) came up with

>

> a good suggestion that would act as an ice breaker and ET/scoliosis

>

> awareness tool. ISOP could provide small cards that would explain the

>

> ET casting process and the importance of it in simple, brief terms.

>

> The info card would include the website addy and would invite the

>

> curious to learn more about it. The info card could also put to

>

> rest any suspicion strangers may have that your child has been hurt.

>

> Honestly, it's happened to us more than once. Some (ignorant) people

>

> have been downright rude and mean and I think it's because they

>

> suspected I was a neglectful mother and hadn't cared for Olivia

>

> properly… Perhaps, she had fallen down the stairs, had a horrible

>

> accident, or worse….(?)

>

> Have any of you experienced anything similar to this? If so, please

>

> share and let me know your recommendations on the info card.

>

> Thanks a lot!

>

> HRH

>

My experiences are probably similar to Tasha's. I take this time to educate people. Living in California, it is just so hot, therefore Jack does not wear anything over the cast it is always exposed, so I I get a lot of, "wow, looks like you got your hands full." (that's when I want to say yeah, want to let me go ahead of you in the ck out line, he weighs a ton!) I don't say it, but I always tell my husband I want to! I also get a lot of very sweet comments like one women came up to me and said, "your son is going to have great cardiovascular health, from wearing that cast." Or my Japanese neighbor said to me that, "Jack will be well equipped to deal with frustration, this will be a good thing for him later in life." However one neighbor, after I explained to her that Jack has infantile scoliosis, and I felt took

it all in....a few days later stopped my husband and said, "Isn't he a little young for scoliosis?" Lady you are watching too much Mason!! I think that is the first time I thought that someone might actually think there was an injury involved. I am amazed at how many, even health care professionals, see the fiberglass casting material and ask, "is is removable?" I can understand other thinking that, but nurses asking that is weird to me.

I really feel that this may be a good time to warn/educate parents that fly with their child in a cast, that you may be put through a little more during the security process. I have flown with Jack, back from SLC and a trip up to Northern Cal and all 3 times his cast was swabbed for explosives and my bags were thoroughly searched. Just be prepared. I hurts, but just stay calm and you will get on through. I was sort of surprised with SLC, thinking, Shriners is a big deal in that town and they may see this more often,but no, not the case.

As for the card, great idea. I mentioned the pamphlet idea a few months back, I will gladly hand it to anyone, please let it have some information about the difference between adolescent and infantile and about how to donate to ISOP. Hope all is well with everyone! ~Krista

From: hrhandco <heather@infantilesc oliosis.org>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] cast experiencesTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 1:19 PM

Those last posts reminded me of an issue that pops-up on the group afew times a year. And, that is the way strangers respond to seeingour children in plaster casts...My reaction to the way strangers acted after seeing my toddler in acast was so much better, if they respond positively. In the beginningof Liv's casting experience (age 2.10) I would react horribly, ifsomeone was staring or pointing…..To the point of confrontation (bad,I know.....)! After 5 years of serial casting, my response improved abit (ha-ha) and I would say something inviting to break the ice, like"cool cast, huh,?" or "want to touch it?" Even the adults would smileand want to learn more. I know many of us have gone through this……… Rochelle & Shara (and a few other members over the years) came up witha good suggestion that would act as an ice breaker and ET/scoliosisawareness tool. ISOP could provide small cards that

would explain theET casting process and the importance of it in simple, brief terms. The info card would include the website addy and would invite thecurious to learn more about it. The info card could also put torest any suspicion strangers may have that your child has been hurt. Honestly, it's happened to us more than once. Some (ignorant) peoplehave been downright rude and mean and I think it's because theysuspected I was a neglectful mother and hadn't cared for Oliviaproperly… Perhaps, she had fallen down the stairs, had a horribleaccident, or worse….(?)Have any of you experienced anything similar to this? If so, pleaseshare and let me know your recommendations on the info card.Thanks a lot!HRH

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in on this. I would be happy to hand something out to people to help them better understand. My wife and I have had numerous situations arise where we've felt the need to explain ourselves to complete strangers. We were confronted by a clerk at a store who thought our daughter fell down the stairs and broke her back. We also had an older woman tell my wife she should be reported because she thought my wife had done something to cause harm to our daughter. She thought my wife had been abusive in some way to cause our daughter to have to wear a cast. We also were shocked to have a local doctor ask what the cast was for and that she'd never heard of casting for scoliosis and never saw a cast like this before. We've had the usual curious stares as well. And there are plenty of people who ask politely and are interested in knowing more. We would be more than happy to have something to hand out and share with people. This group

& ISOP has been so informative and helpful for us, without who knows where we'd be right now. More people need to know this info, and I'd be happy tohelp in any way I can.

Jay (Emma 11 months old in 2nd cast)

From: hrhandco <heather@infantilesc oliosis.org>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] cast experiencesTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 1:19 PM

Tomorrow we will be going in for xrays to see if we have to start

bracing. He is 3 1/2, has progressed, has 2 curves last check both

at 15 deg.

Just wanted to say that we have had our fair share of staring. He

had torticollis and plagiocephaly when he was little and he had a

helmet for about 6 months. We got a lot of stares, people thinking

it was for seizures, etc. Sometimes people would ask, and I didn't

mind at all. My husband, being the comedian that he thinks he is,

would always come up with some crazy thing. It got some laughs

though.

Then my son also has severe eczema. We have it much better under

control now with food allergy diagnosis, diet elimination and daily

soaks/ wet wraps. We got way more stares from that. Either they

thought that he was contagious or that we were neglectful or what

ever.

I don't know that we can do casting. His skin just wouldn't handle

it, I don't think. But we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Any suggestions for tomorrow?

Tomorrow we will be going in for xrays to see if we have to start

bracing. He is 3 1/2, has progressed, has 2 curves last check both

at 15 deg.

Just wanted to say that we have had our fair share of staring. He

had torticollis and plagiocephaly when he was little and he had a

helmet for about 6 months. We got a lot of stares, people thinking

it was for seizures, etc. Sometimes people would ask, and I didn't

mind at all. My husband, being the comedian that he thinks he is,

would always come up with some crazy thing. It got some laughs

though.

Then my son also has severe eczema. We have it much better under

control now with food allergy diagnosis, diet elimination and daily

soaks/ wet wraps. We got way more stares from that. Either they

thought that he was contagious or that we were neglectful or what

ever.

I don't know that we can do casting. His skin just wouldn't handle

it, I don't think. But we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Any suggestions for tomorrow?

I agree with Krista and the flying with the cast experience. Keira has taken 4 plane trips for fun destinations and 3 to SLC with her cast on and I must say each airport security is very different. We learned that it is best if I am with Keira, if my husband is holding her they always call for 2 female screeners and this takes time. SLC airport is by far the most over the board screening we have encountered. On this last time through, I was instructed NOT to touch her, or I would have to be swabbed for explosives as well, and then they actually felt her panties and did a pant-down, I thought that was a bit much. But we find that if we are calm it goes well, and there are a few airports that we simply walk on through, doesn't make you feel to secure in that sense.I have also encountered the 'stupid comments', my best story is when I joined a Mommy and Me

class a few months back. Up until this time Keira had been around my friends and our older daughter's friends/families, so everyone knew her story and her cast. When I walked into the room I realized everyone was staring at us and Keira cast. Since she has the shirt underneath, I typically only put a bib on her and not a shirt. Several Mom's asked 'if she had had surgery?" and were discreet with their questions, but when I was done explaining to one Mom she actually said, "oh, so there is nothing wrong with her brain!" I was floored, I just stared at her, I realized this woman was afraid my daughter had some mental problem and her child might be exposed to it. I should have had a snappy comeback, but I just said, "No, it is not catching." Needless to say, this group wasn't a good fit for us!!I am also amazed at how many people ask, "how do you change the t-shirt?", after you just got done telling them the cast doesn't come off. When I took Keira

to UCSF to show them the cast, her surgeon asked me how I got the t-shirt on and off. I told him we didn't and he said, 'Oh, well keeping her clean must be a problem."But for every nasty comment or stare, there are so many more positive words of encouragement from others, that is what keeps me positive.Liz

I think the card is a great idea and very useful in spreading the word..... So much good comes by word of mouth. How many parents do you come across in the school, play groups, mall, etc. that may know someone who is going through this blindly? I know this condition is rare, but any education on scoli is a great thing. Most people that I have met, even family members, think that scoliosis is no big deal and not serious at all. I was probably one of them before it affected me! Any education in any format, in my opinion, is a great thing! Very creative of you!!!!! Steph

Subject: cast experiencesTo: infantile_scoliosis Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 7:19 PM

Shauna,

I often get the same about Noelle being so "big and sturdy"..... But, she isn't, actually. She's pretty lean and it does get on my nerves, too. Their health and happiness is first, of course, but comments like these are often a reminder to me of her condition.... Usually at a time when I'm not thinking about the scoli for a few seconds in my day and they jolt me back to reality..... Glad to know someone else understands!!! Steph

I think any information is great. I know I am new, but I realy would like to

educate as of

the people I see about casting, I think this is important. I talked to Janet

from New Mexico,

and she said she doctor Bosch, the one I am going to see Thursday, dose not know

much

about casting but knows about the RVAD, which is cool, and I guess he will be

abel to tell

me what hers is. SO I am going to print up some information I have and take it

with me to

give the doc, I think this is a great thing for so many kids.

Josh

>

> Those last posts reminded me of an issue that pops-up on the group a

> few times a year. And, that is the way strangers respond to seeing

> our children in plaster casts...

> My reaction to the way strangers acted after seeing my toddler in a

> cast was so much better, if they respond positively. In the beginning

> of Liv's casting experience (age 2.10) I would react horribly, if

> someone was staring or pointing…..To the point of confrontation (bad,

> I know.....)! After 5 years of serial casting, my response improved a

> bit (ha-ha) and I would say something inviting to break the ice, like

> " cool cast, huh,? " or " want to touch it? " Even the adults would smile

> and want to learn more. I know many of us have gone through this………

> Rochelle & Shara (and a few other members over the years) came up with

> a good suggestion that would act as an ice breaker and ET/scoliosis

> awareness tool. ISOP could provide small cards that would explain the

> ET casting process and the importance of it in simple, brief terms.

> The info card would include the website addy and would invite the

> curious to learn more about it. The info card could also put to

> rest any suspicion strangers may have that your child has been hurt.

> Honestly, it's happened to us more than once. Some (ignorant) people

> have been downright rude and mean and I think it's because they

> suspected I was a neglectful mother and hadn't cared for Olivia

> properly… Perhaps, she had fallen down the stairs, had a horrible

> accident, or worse….(?)

> Have any of you experienced anything similar to this? If so, please

> share and let me know your recommendations on the info card.

> Thanks a lot!

> HRH

>

Very good point . ~Krista

From: hrhandco <heather@infantilesc oliosis.org>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] cast experiencesTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 7:19 PM

Liz-

The T shirt comments are crazy! I am shocked how many people ask, "how do you get the T shirt on and off?" I just have to explain and bite my lip! :) ~K

That floors me that people have the nerve to make comments that you should be reported because they think you have been abusive to your daughter. The child is wearing a cast and has clearly been seen by a doctor. Don't they think if the doctor thought the child had been abused, they would have reported it. I can understand why the thought might cross thier mind as a possibility but it doesn't also cross their mind that it could be a medical condition or could have been some sort of car accident, etc. Too actually say something like that to the parent....wow. What did your wife say?

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:37:18 PMSubject: Re: cast experiences

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in on this. I would be happy to hand something out to people to help them better understand. My wife and I have had numerous situations arise where we've felt the need to explain ourselves to complete strangers. We were confronted by a clerk at a store who thought our daughter fell down the stairs and broke her back. We also had an older woman tell my wife she should be reported because she thought my wife had done something to cause harm to our daughter. She thought my wife had been abusive in some way to cause our daughter to have to wear a cast. We also were shocked to have a local doctor ask what the cast was for and that she'd never heard of casting for scoliosis and never saw a cast like this before. We've had the usual curious stares as well. And there are plenty of people who ask politely and are interested in knowing more. We would be more than happy to have something to hand out and share with people. This group

& ISOP has been so informative and helpful for us, without who knows where we'd be right now. More people need to know this info, and I'd be happy tohelp in any way I can.

That floors me that people have the nerve to make comments that you should be reported because they think you have been abusive to your daughter. The child is wearing a cast and has clearly been seen by a doctor. Don't they think if the doctor thought the child had been abused, they would have reported it. I can understand why the thought might cross thier mind as a possibility but it doesn't also cross their mind that it could be a medical condition or could have been some sort of car accident, etc. Too actually say something like that to the parent....wow. What did your wife say?

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:37:18 PMSubject: Re: cast experiences

Hi,

We had one similar experience with the flying. As I said previously we normally had the shirt over the cast, so the airport screeners never noticed anything and we just went right through. But one time my husband was carrying him and left something on that caused the alarm to beep. So they both were padded down and when they felt the cast, they had to do the explosives swab. My husband said the airport screener was very nice about it though. He was just like "I know, I know, but we have to do it".

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 7:59:02 PMSubject: Re: cast experiences

I agree with Krista and the flying with the cast experience. Keira has taken 4 plane trips for fun destinations and 3 to SLC with her cast on and I must say each airport security is very different. We learned that it is best if I am with Keira, if my husband is holding her they always call for 2 female screeners and this takes time. SLC airport is by far the most over the board screening we have encountered. On this last time through, I was instructed NOT to touch her, or I would have to be swabbed for explosives as well, and then they actually felt her panties and did a pant-down, I thought that was a bit much. But we find that if we are calm it goes well, and there are a few airports that we simply walk on through, doesn't make you feel to secure in that sense.I have also encountered the 'stupid comments', my best story is when I joined a Mommy and Me class a few months back. Up until this time Keira had been around my friends

and our older daughter's friends/families, so everyone knew her story and her cast. When I walked into the room I realized everyone was staring at us and Keira cast. Since she has the shirt underneath, I typically only put a bib on her and not a shirt. Several Mom's asked 'if she had had surgery?" and were discreet with their questions, but when I was done explaining to one Mom she actually said, "oh, so there is nothing wrong with her brain!" I was floored, I just stared at her, I realized this woman was afraid my daughter had some mental problem and her child might be exposed to it. I should have had a snappy comeback, but I just said, "No, it is not catching." Needless to say, this group wasn't a good fit for us!!I am also amazed at how many people ask, "how do you change the t-shirt?", after you just got done telling them the cast doesn't come off. When I took Keira to UCSF to show them the cast, her surgeon asked me how I got the t-shirt on

and off. I told him we didn't and he said, 'Oh, well keeping her clean must be a problem."But for every nasty comment or stare, there are so many more positive words of encouragement from others, that is what keeps me positive.Liz

We had one similar experience with the flying. As I said previously we normally had the shirt over the cast, so the airport screeners never noticed anything and we just went right through. But one time my husband was carrying him and left something on that caused the alarm to beep. So they both were padded down and when they felt the cast, they had to do the explosives swab. My husband said the airport screener was very nice about it though. He was just like "I know, I know, but we have to do it".

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 7:59:02 PMSubject: Re: cast experiences

I agree with Krista and the flying with the cast experience. Keira has taken 4 plane trips for fun destinations and 3 to SLC with her cast on and I must say each airport security is very different. We learned that it is best if I am with Keira, if my husband is holding her they always call for 2 female screeners and this takes time. SLC airport is by far the most over the board screening we have encountered. On this last time through, I was instructed NOT to touch her, or I would have to be swabbed for explosives as well, and then they actually felt her panties and did a pant-down, I thought that was a bit much. But we find that if we are calm it goes well, and there are a few airports that we simply walk on through, doesn't make you feel to secure in that sense.I have also encountered the 'stupid comments', my best story is when I joined a Mommy and Me class a few months back. Up until this time Keira had been around my friends

and our older daughter's friends/families, so everyone knew her story and her cast. When I walked into the room I realized everyone was staring at us and Keira cast. Since she has the shirt underneath, I typically only put a bib on her and not a shirt. Several Mom's asked 'if she had had surgery?" and were discreet with their questions, but when I was done explaining to one Mom she actually said, "oh, so there is nothing wrong with her brain!" I was floored, I just stared at her, I realized this woman was afraid my daughter had some mental problem and her child might be exposed to it. I should have had a snappy comeback, but I just said, "No, it is not catching." Needless to say, this group wasn't a good fit for us!!I am also amazed at how many people ask, "how do you change the t-shirt?", after you just got done telling them the cast doesn't come off. When I took Keira to UCSF to show them the cast, her surgeon asked me how I got the t-shirt on

and off. I told him we didn't and he said, 'Oh, well keeping her clean must be a problem."But for every nasty comment or stare, there are so many more positive words of encouragement from others, that is what keeps me positive.Liz