RemedySpot.com

Brace

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dylan has an appt. next week for a x-ray. He has been in his TLSO brace for 6 months now. The last x-ray we got in August showed a 5 degree curve. The casting doctor we saw in Chicago advised that after 6 months if everything still looked straight to take the brace off and see how he does without a brace for a few months. The doctor said he looked perfectly straight when we had the x-ray done after his last cast in June. But, I'm pretty certain he just eyeballed the x-ray and did not try to officially measure it. The nurse practioner that read the x-ray we had done in Tampa said if she had just eyeballed it she would have thought it was straight, but when she did the

measurement, it was 5 degrees. So, anyways, he might or might not have had a 5 degree progression. I am praying this time it is the same as last. The nurse practioner did not give us the indication last time we saw her that she would want him to take the brace off in another 3 months, but I am more inclined to go with what the casting doctor in Chicago recommended. I'm just trying to decide what to do if everything looks the same at this next x-ray. I will most likely have it sent up to Chicago and have his original casting doctor advise us. But I'm just curious at what point others stopped using the brace and what does Dr. Mehta advise in regards to how long to brace for? Did you stop the brace cold-turkey or did you gradually reduce the time the child wore it?

We stopped Cole's cast cold turkey. He was in the brace for around 9 months. At time of d/c ing the brace I think Cole was at about a 2 degree curve. His following x-ray (6 months later with no brace) he was at zero degrees. Actually the curve should not have to be at zero to continue to get even straighter. As the spine grows and is trained to grow straight, it should contniue to grow even straighter and stronger. Of course we are still hoping and expecting that to be the case. Cole has not had an x-ray in about a year (the last 2 appt. the docs just eyeball his back and had him bend over). To my naked eye, things look good. Cole has his 1 1/2 year out of brace check up in 3 weeks in Erie. I will insist on an x-ray to double check. Many kids have stopped wearing the brace when the curve is 5 degrees and under.

Good luck!! You are almost done.

Cole's mom

Subject: BraceTo: infantile_scoliosis Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 7:36 AM

Dylan has an appt. next week for a x-ray. He has been in his TLSO brace for 6 months now. The last x-ray we got in August showed a 5 degree curve. The casting doctor we saw in Chicago advised that after 6 months if everything still looked straight to take the brace off and see how he does without a brace for a few months. The doctor said he looked perfectly straight when we had the x-ray done after his last cast in June. But, I'm pretty certain he just eyeballed the x-ray and did not try to officially measure it. The nurse practioner that read the x-ray we had done in Tampa said if she had just eyeballed it she would have thought it was straight, but when she did the measurement, it was 5 degrees. So, anyways, he might or might not have had a 5 degree progression. I am praying this time it is the same as

last. The nurse practioner did not give us the indication last time we saw her that she would want him to take the brace off in another 3 months, but I am more inclined to go with what the casting doctor in Chicago recommended. I'm just trying to decide what to do if everything looks the same at this next x-ray. I will most likely have it sent up to Chicago and have his original casting doctor advise us. But I'm just curious at what point others stopped using the brace and what does Dr. Mehta advise in regards to how long to brace for? Did you stop the brace cold-turkey or did you gradually reduce the time the child wore it?

Just wanted to wish you luck for great results. I hope you get the answers that you want and so deserve!!! Let me know how Dylan makes out.... Steph

Subject: BraceTo: infantile_scoliosis Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 2:36 PM

Dylan has an appt. next week for a x-ray. He has been in his TLSO brace for 6 months now. The last x-ray we got in August showed a 5 degree curve. The casting doctor we saw in Chicago advised that after 6 months if everything still looked straight to take the brace off and see how he does without a brace for a few months. The doctor said he looked perfectly straight when we had the x-ray done after his last cast in June. But, I'm pretty certain he just eyeballed the x-ray and did not try to officially measure it. The nurse practioner that read the x-ray we had done in Tampa said if she had just eyeballed it she would have thought it was straight, but when she did the measurement, it was 5 degrees. So, anyways, he might or might not have had a 5 degree progression. I am praying this time it is the same as

last. The nurse practioner did not give us the indication last time we saw her that she would want him to take the brace off in another 3 months, but I am more inclined to go with what the casting doctor in Chicago recommended. I'm just trying to decide what to do if everything looks the same at this next x-ray. I will most likely have it sent up to Chicago and have his original casting doctor advise us. But I'm just curious at what point others stopped using the brace and what does Dr. Mehta advise in regards to how long to brace for? Did you stop the brace cold-turkey or did you gradually reduce the time the child wore it?