RemedySpot.com

Re: Frozen Milk/copper

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I use loose copper individually and they do great. Some goats are copper hounds - these are the ones that show bald tail and bleaching really quickly and even bolusing doesnt really do the trick. These does not only go through more copper but they also eat more kelp meal. I agree that none of the mineral mixes have enough copper for some goats. I am getting great results with free choice kelp meal, free choice redmonds salt, loose zinc and loose copper out all the time. I tried free choice selenium and while they did okay on it the kids were not as strong as they are if I use a BoSe shot so I am back to using that.

In my particular situation this is working wonderfully for me where as copper boluses were not as good.

Aliza

www.eftashland.com

Where do you get loose copper?

Jessi

Re: Frozen Milk/copper

I use loose copper individually and they do great. Some goats are copper hounds - these are the ones that show bald tail and bleaching really quickly and even bolusing doesnt really do the trick. These does not only go through more copper but they also eat more kelp meal. I agree that none of the mineral mixes have enough copper for some goats. I am getting great results with free choice kelp meal, free choice redmonds salt, loose zinc and loose copper out all the time. I tried free choice selenium and while they did okay on it the kids were not as strong as they are if I use a BoSe shot so I am back to using that.

In my particular situation this is working wonderfully for me where as copper boluses were not as good.

Aliza

www.eftashland.com

Yes, absolutely. Some goats do have higher copper needs than other. Certain breeds also. I've never had a goat not respond to a bolus and knowing that they cannot get stores built back up from loose mineral, I don't rely on anything solely but the boluses. If you're not in a copper deficient area then you can get by with just feeding it in loose form.

>

> I use loose copper individually and they do great.  Some goats are

copper hounds - these are the ones that show bald tail and bleaching

really quickly and even bolusing doesnt really do the trick.  These

does not only go through more copper but they also eat more kelp

meal.  I agree that none of the mineral mixes have enough copper for

some goats.  I am getting great results with free choice kelp meal,

free choice redmonds salt, loose zinc and loose copper out all the

time.  I tried free choice selenium and while they did okay on it the

kids were not as strong as they are if I use a BoSe shot so I am back

to using that. 

>  

> In my particular situation this is working wonderfully for me where

as copper boluses were not as good. 

>  

> Aliza

> www.eftashland.com

>

Jessi,

In PA I get mine as copper sulfate at the feed store. $2.00 a Lb and it

lasts for a long time. Hoeggers also sells it. It is much more

expensive there but it's available.

Lucinda in PA

>

> Where do you get loose copper?

> Jessi

Our local Grange coop sells it by the pound:o) You could ask the folks at Azure if they can pick you up some when they pick up the organic feeds for the truck route. If not email me off list at realfood@... (no spaces) and I can see how much fits in a priority box - or maybe someone coming up there from southern oregon can run some up to you.

Aliza

www.eftashland.com

Hi - while I agree they cant get enough if you use the mixes

I find they do great on the free choice loose copper sulfate. Much

better then the boluses. I am in a severly copper and selenium

deficient area. It also helps that they have free choice kelp meal.

Perhaps that is the difference in it working on my farm. Every set

up is different as are line and breeds of goats.

Aliza

>

> Yes, absolutely. Some goats do have higher copper needs than

other. Certain

> breeds also. I've never had a goat not respond to a bolus and

knowing that

> they cannot get stores built back up from loose mineral, I don't

rely on

> anything solely but the boluses. If you're not in a copper

deficient area then you

> can get by with just feeding it in loose form.

>

>

>