RemedySpot.com

RE: plaster -vs- fiberglass

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Fiberglass is a less comfortable, more rigid,

synthetic material that doesn’t have the ability to mould as well to the childs

body as Plaster of Paris does. Fiberglass also dries a lot faster than

fiberglass, so the docs applying the jacket may not have the time they need to achieve

the best mould, possible. They’re in a hurry, when working with fiberglass.

Fiberglass holds, it just don’t mould & conform to the childs body

as well as plaster.

HRH

From: infantile_scoliosis [mailto:infantile_scoliosis ] On Behalf Of jill wienke

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008

3:50 PM

To: infantile_scoliosis

Subject: RE:

back from Rochester- no change again

Thank you . The supine xray looks so

good. I wish the standing was just like the supine, but I do

think more core strength would help that. Any thoughts on that?

The information on the bracing was a God send. I have hope we may get

more correction in a brace, when that time comes.

I have been beating myself up over the

fiberglass. I have asked the doctor who said he wouldn't use the

fiberglass on a high curve (moulding better with plaster) but that he was confident

he could get close to zero in this cast. Does the fiberglass hold

as well? I think the last few casts have been loose, but who am I to

question... I over think everything on this subject!

I will certainly ask about plaster next time, especially

if we stay stuck at 16 supine.

Thanks for all your insights!

Jill

<heatherinfantilescoliosis (DOT) org>

Subject: RE: back from Rochester- no change again

Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 11:49 AM

I think the #’s are great.

Especially, when you compare them to when started. Many children

who transfer from cast to removable brace (under 20 degrees with no rotation)

experience even more correction. Muscles are being used that

hadn’t been used before, and brace time can help to strengthen up the

core and hold/correct the young spine even more. Ask about plaster

–vs- fiberglass (waterproof) for ’s situation and if the doc

thinks perhaps a final plaster jacket would benefit in getting him even

lower. Plaster is a more mouldable material and maybe that’s

whats needed for the final jacket application? I am no doc, but it

wouldn’t hurt to ask.

HRH

infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. com [mailto:infantile_ scoliosis@

yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of jill

wienke

Sent: Wednesday, December 03,

2008 7:05 AM

@yahoogroups. com

Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s]

Hi everyone. Well I am not sure where to start. We

are back from our latest cast change. had his last cast on for just over

3 months. We had been stuck at 16 degrees for the past 3 cast, now make it

four. The xrays (supine) looked so good to me. I was sure we were close to 10

degrees. I could barely contain myself, then the doctor pulled up the xray on

his computer and started measuring it with a new program (as opposed to with

protractor, ruler and pencil as he usually does.) Guess the number that came

up...16. He said by tweaking and moving the lines a bit he got anywhere from

11 or 12 to 18 or 19. Our doctor knows our frustration and can't explain why

we are not getting more of a change. In the past he has said, " I think

we can fix this, especially because it is clear has no other underlying

syndromes... " Well this time it was almost as if he was trying to help

explain the lack of progress he threw out there maybe we should

see a geneticist. I may be in denial, but I feel that is unnecessary. I do

not want my baby to be poked or prodded any more than needed.

His back to the naked eye is beautiful. When asked to bend over it looks so

straight!

We are going to try another cast until March (when turns 3). We may even

do one more after that and then go for a brace for the summer. What do you

all think of this? I have cried until I am out of tears due to frustration

and exhaustion. I know is healthy and happy and that the casts have made

a difference in his life. The doctor almost sounded as if he is giving up on

curing .

What do you all think of all of this? Thank you for all the support.

Jill and

Fiberglass is a less comfortable, more rigid,

synthetic material that doesn’t have the ability to mould as well to the childs

body as Plaster of Paris does. Fiberglass also dries a lot faster than

fiberglass, so the docs applying the jacket may not have the time they need to achieve

the best mould, possible. They’re in a hurry, when working with fiberglass.

Fiberglass holds, it just don’t mould & conform to the childs body

as well as plaster.

HRH

From: infantile_scoliosis [mailto:infantile_scoliosis ] On Behalf Of jill wienke

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008

3:50 PM

Thank you . The supine xray looks so

good. I wish the standing was just like the supine, but I do

think more core strength would help that. Any thoughts on that?

The information on the bracing was a God send. I have hope we may get

more correction in a brace, when that time comes.

I have been beating myself up over the

fiberglass. I have asked the doctor who said he wouldn't use the

fiberglass on a high curve (moulding better with plaster) but that he was confident

he could get close to zero in this cast. Does the fiberglass hold

as well? I think the last few casts have been loose, but who am I to

question... I over think everything on this subject!

I will certainly ask about plaster next time, especially

if we stay stuck at 16 supine.

Thanks for all your insights!

Jill

<heatherinfantilescoliosis (DOT) org>

Subject: RE: back from Rochester- no change again

I think the #’s are great.

Especially, when you compare them to when started. Many children

who transfer from cast to removable brace (under 20 degrees with no rotation)

experience even more correction. Muscles are being used that

hadn’t been used before, and brace time can help to strengthen up the

core and hold/correct the young spine even more. Ask about plaster

–vs- fiberglass (waterproof) for ’s situation and if the doc

thinks perhaps a final plaster jacket would benefit in getting him even

lower. Plaster is a more mouldable material and maybe that’s

whats needed for the final jacket application? I am no doc, but it

wouldn’t hurt to ask.

HRH

wienke

Sent: Wednesday, December 03,

2008 7:05 AM

@yahoogroups. com

Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s]

Hi everyone. Well I am not sure where to start. We

are back from our latest cast change. had his last cast on for just over

3 months. We had been stuck at 16 degrees for the past 3 cast, now make it

four. The xrays (supine) looked so good to me. I was sure we were close to 10

degrees. I could barely contain myself, then the doctor pulled up the xray on

his computer and started measuring it with a new program (as opposed to with

protractor, ruler and pencil as he usually does.) Guess the number that came

up...16. He said by tweaking and moving the lines a bit he got anywhere from

11 or 12 to 18 or 19. Our doctor knows our frustration and can't explain why

we are not getting more of a change. In the past he has said, " I think

we can fix this, especially because it is clear has no other underlying

syndromes... " Well this time it was almost as if he was trying to help

explain the lack of progress he threw out there maybe we should

see a geneticist. I may be in denial, but I feel that is unnecessary. I do

not want my baby to be poked or prodded any more than needed.

His back to the naked eye is beautiful. When asked to bend over it looks so

straight!

We are going to try another cast until March (when turns 3). We may even

do one more after that and then go for a brace for the summer. What do you

all think of this? I have cried until I am out of tears due to frustration

and exhaustion. I know is healthy and happy and that the casts have made

a difference in his life. The doctor almost sounded as if he is giving up on

curing .

Jill and

I wonder why our doc didn't think to suggest we use the plaster again. Could it be he doesn't think it could have that much of an impact? I would have been more than happy to do the plaster, especially with it being the dead of winter in Ohio! Maybe these are questions no one can answer. I just wish we would have thought to ask for the plaster again.

From: Hyatt <heather@infantilesc oliosis.org>Subject: RE: [infantile_scoliosi s] back from Rochester- no change againTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 11:49 AM

I think the #’s are great. Especially, when you compare them to when started. Many children who transfer from cast to removable brace (under 20 degrees with no rotation) experience even more correction. Muscles are being used that hadn’t been used before, and brace time can help to strengthen up the core and hold/correct the young spine even more. Ask about plaster –vs- fiberglass (waterproof) for ’s situation and if the doc thinks perhaps a final plaster jacket would benefit in getting him even lower. Plaster is a more mouldable material and maybe that’s whats needed for the final jacket application? I am no doc, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

HRH

From: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. com [mailto:infantile_ scoliosis@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of jill wienkeSent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:05 AMTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comSubject: [infantile_scoliosi s] back from Rochester- no change again

Hi everyone. Well I am not sure where to start. We are back from our latest cast change. had his last cast on for just over 3 months. We had been stuck at 16 degrees for the past 3 cast, now make it four. The xrays (supine) looked so good to me. I was sure we were close to 10 degrees. I could barely contain myself, then the doctor pulled up the xray on his computer and started measuring it with a new program (as opposed to with protractor, ruler and pencil as he usually does.) Guess the number that came up...16. He said by tweaking and moving the lines a bit he got anywhere from 11 or 12 to 18 or 19. Our doctor knows our frustration and can't explain why we are not getting more of a change. In the past he has said, "I think we can fix this, especially because it is clear has no other underlying syndromes... " Well this time it was almost as if he was trying to

help explain the lack of progress he threw out there maybe we shouldsee a geneticist. I may be in denial, but I feel that is unnecessary. I do not want my baby to be poked or prodded any more than needed. His back to the naked eye is beautiful. When asked to bend over it looks so straight!We are going to try another cast until March (when turns 3). We may even do one more after that and then go for a brace for the summer. What do you all think of this? I have cried until I am out of tears due to frustration and exhaustion. I know is healthy and happy and that the casts have made a difference in his life. The doctor almost sounded as if he is giving up on curing . What do you all think of all of this? Thank you for all the support. Jill and

I wonder why our doc didn't think to suggest we use the plaster again. Could it be he doesn't think it could have that much of an impact? I would have been more than happy to do the plaster, especially with it being the dead of winter in Ohio! Maybe these are questions no one can answer. I just wish we would have thought to ask for the plaster again.

From: Hyatt <heather@infantilesc oliosis.org>Subject: RE: [infantile_scoliosi s] back from Rochester- no change againTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 11:49 AM

I think the #’s are great. Especially, when you compare them to when started. Many children who transfer from cast to removable brace (under 20 degrees with no rotation) experience even more correction. Muscles are being used that hadn’t been used before, and brace time can help to strengthen up the core and hold/correct the young spine even more. Ask about plaster –vs- fiberglass (waterproof) for ’s situation and if the doc thinks perhaps a final plaster jacket would benefit in getting him even lower. Plaster is a more mouldable material and maybe that’s whats needed for the final jacket application? I am no doc, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

HRH

From: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. com [mailto:infantile_ scoliosis@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of jill wienkeSent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:05 AMTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comSubject: [infantile_scoliosi s] back from Rochester- no change again

Hi everyone. Well I am not sure where to start. We are back from our latest cast change. had his last cast on for just over 3 months. We had been stuck at 16 degrees for the past 3 cast, now make it four. The xrays (supine) looked so good to me. I was sure we were close to 10 degrees. I could barely contain myself, then the doctor pulled up the xray on his computer and started measuring it with a new program (as opposed to with protractor, ruler and pencil as he usually does.) Guess the number that came up...16. He said by tweaking and moving the lines a bit he got anywhere from 11 or 12 to 18 or 19. Our doctor knows our frustration and can't explain why we are not getting more of a change. In the past he has said, "I think we can fix this, especially because it is clear has no other underlying syndromes... " Well this time it was almost as if he was trying to

help explain the lack of progress he threw out there maybe we shouldsee a geneticist. I may be in denial, but I feel that is unnecessary. I do not want my baby to be poked or prodded any more than needed. His back to the naked eye is beautiful. When asked to bend over it looks so straight!We are going to try another cast until March (when turns 3). We may even do one more after that and then go for a brace for the summer. What do you all think of this? I have cried until I am out of tears due to frustration and exhaustion. I know is healthy and happy and that the casts have made a difference in his life. The doctor almost sounded as if he is giving up on curing . What do you all think of all of this? Thank you for all the support. Jill and

I have a question about this subject. My son is being treated at SLC. I believe that the cast is plaster, during the molding process and the order layer is fiberglass to make it tight and stay tight. Just because it is fiberglass, does not make it waterproof. We were told to keep the cast dry and to stay clear of water. Maybe some other SLC parents can jump in. But I am pretty sure that it is both. I have really looked at his cut outs and it looks like there is a layer of plaster and a layer of fiberglass. I believe that Loma does fiberglass and then there is "water proof" fiberglass. I believe there is a difference. Once again I hope parents chime in. ~Krista

HRH

I have a question about this subject. My son is being treated at SLC. I believe that the cast is plaster, during the molding process and the order layer is fiberglass to make it tight and stay tight. Just because it is fiberglass, does not make it waterproof. We were told to keep the cast dry and to stay clear of water. Maybe some other SLC parents can jump in. But I am pretty sure that it is both. I have really looked at his cut outs and it looks like there is a layer of plaster and a layer of fiberglass. I believe that Loma does fiberglass and then there is "water proof" fiberglass. I believe there is a difference. Once again I hope parents chime in. ~Krista

HRH

Correction* I meant to say the "outer" layer is fiberglass.

HRH

All edf jackets/casts applied in SLC are

plaster. As you said, a thin covering of fiberglass is applied after the

moulding of the plaster. The fiberglass assists in maintaining the

integrity of the jacket through the duration of wear. Its especially

helpful for infants/toddlers (who have many accidents) and for families living

in hot and humid climates.

HRH

From: infantile_scoliosis [mailto:infantile_scoliosis ] On Behalf Of Krista Sloan

Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008

9:45 AM

plaster -vs- fiberglass

I have a question about this subject. My son

is being treated at SLC. I believe that the cast is plaster, during the

molding process and the order layer is fiberglass to make it tight and stay

tight. Just because it is fiberglass, does not make it

waterproof. We were told to keep the cast dry and to stay clear of

water. Maybe some other SLC parents can jump in. But I am pretty sure

that it is both. I have really looked at his cut outs and it looks like

there is a layer of plaster and a layer of fiberglass. I believe that

Loma does fiberglass and then there is " water proof "

fiberglass. I believe there is a difference. Once again I hope

parents chime in. ~Krista

oliosis.org>

Subject: RE: [infantile_scoliosi s] back from Rochester- no change again

To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. com

I think the

#’s are great. Especially, when you compare them to when

started. Many children who transfer from cast to removable brace

(under 20 degrees with no rotation) experience even more

correction. Muscles are being used that hadn’t been used

before, and brace time can help to strengthen up the core and

hold/correct the young spine even more. Ask about plaster

–vs- fiberglass (waterproof) for ’s situation and if the

doc thinks perhaps a final plaster jacket would benefit in getting him

even lower. Plaster is a more mouldable material and maybe

that’s whats needed for the final jacket application? I am no

doc, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

HRH

wienke

Sent: Wednesday, December

03, 2008 7:05 AM

@yahoogroups. com

Subject: [infantile_scoliosi

s] back from Rochester- no change again

Hi everyone. Well I am not sure where to start.

We are back from our latest cast change. had his last cast on for

just over 3 months. We had been stuck at 16 degrees for the past 3 cast,

now make it four. The xrays (supine) looked so good to me. I was sure we

were close to 10 degrees. I could barely contain myself, then the doctor

pulled up the xray on his computer and started measuring it with a new

program (as opposed to with protractor, ruler and pencil as he usually

does.) Guess the number that came up...16. He said by tweaking and moving

the lines a bit he got anywhere from 11 or 12 to 18 or 19. Our doctor

knows our frustration and can't explain why we are not getting more of a

change. In the past he has said, " I think we can fix this,

especially because it is clear has no other underlying syndromes...

" Well this time it was almost as if he was trying to help explain

the lack of progress he threw out there maybe we should

see a geneticist. I may be in denial, but I feel that is unnecessary. I

do not want my baby to be poked or prodded any more than needed.

His back to the naked eye is beautiful. When asked to bend over it looks

so straight!

We are going to try another cast until March (when turns 3). We may

even do one more after that and then go for a brace for the summer. What

do you all think of this? I have cried until I am out of tears due to

frustration and exhaustion. I know is healthy and happy and that the

casts have made a difference in his life. The doctor almost sounded as if

he is giving up on curing .

Jill and

Don't go crazy worying about it.... It certainly won't hurt him..... And you can ask at the next visit. I think for now, just enjoy the holidays and your happy healthy family..... You deserve to be happy, especially this time of the year! :) Steph

HRH

Hi Krista,

The plaster is applied under the fiber glass shell in a conventional casting jacket.... It makes the cast lighter and a bit more water-resistant.... If there is a difference between the fiberglass used in the regular casts and the water-proof cast I'm unsure.... Hope that helped a little! Steph

HRH