RemedySpot.com

RE: trichottillomania

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My son isn't a hair puller but suffers from anxiety and mild OCD so he used to take a high dose of Inositol (a B-vitamin), which is a viable treatment for OCD. A number of papers have been published on the use of Inositol in the treatment of OCD, depression, and anxiety (SIB, hair pulling, skin picking etc). It seems that Inositol is converted by the body to a substance that regulates the action of serotonin within brain cells. Possible side effects are gas and diarrhea which some people might have at first but it usually clears up or it doesn't happen at all. It cannot be taken together with Lithium, as it seems to block its action. Caffeine lowers Inositol levels in the body. It should be purchased in powered form, and taken dissolved in water or fruit juice. It has a sweet taste, and is chemically related to sugar. It was also reported that taken in combination with 5-HTP (around 100 mg), which is a breakdown product of the amino acid L-Tryptophan helped. The body manufactures serotonin from 5-HTP, and is believed to raise serotonin levels in the brain. 5-HTP can cause drowsiness and is usually taken at bedtime. 5-HTP should never be taken with any prescription antidepressant or herbal products such as St. 's Wort, as it can cause a very serious condition called serotonergic syndrome. This info from Inositol and Trichotillomania by Fred Penzel, Ph.D. Read more about it at www.westsuffolkpsych.homestead.com/inositol.html. September, 1996 double-blind placebo-controlled study on the use of high doses of Inositol was published in the American Journal of Psychiatry, conducted by Dr. Mendel Fux and colleagues in Israel.

I know of other parents who have tried 1500 mg/day of IP6 (Inositol Hexaphosphate) to control OCD symptoms and found it was quite effective and safe for their kids, but we've never tried it.

CReeceMake your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Just wandering if anyone elses child struggles with trichottillomania(excessive pulling out of hair). And what you do for it. My 2 year old has picked huge balled spots on head whcih I've shaved with a 1 guard and now has started on legs. He even picks at dads chest!!! Any suggestions appreciated!! Bohac TxSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: " Mouser" Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:14:18 -0600To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy<Texas-Autism-Advocacy >Subject: Dennis Leary/Bonnie Hunt got this from another list: FYI: Bonnie Hunt is having Dennis Leary on her talk show today and her lead in was about his " great new book " you know. . . the one where he says the most inflammatory things about autism and how he thinks that most kids aren't autistic just spoiled. E-mail Bonnie and tell her what you think about her choice in guests. http://www.bonniehunt.com/

A workshop years ago suggested giving the child something else

to pick at. If I remember right, the examples were something like peeling

tape or labels off paper, or dried glue off wax paper. Several workshops

I’ve been in said that anytime you want to replace a behavior, give the

child something that will serve the same purpose for them and is easier to do.

If you don’t, the child will come up with another behavior that is

usually worse.

Tonya

Texas-Autism-Advocacy

[mailto:Texas-Autism-Advocacy ] On Behalf Of jamiebohac@...

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:25 PM

To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy

Subject: Re: trichottillomania

Just wandering if anyone elses child struggles with trichottillomania(excessive

pulling out of hair). And what you do for it. My 2 year old has picked huge

balled spots on head whcih I've shaved with a 1 guard and now has started on

legs. He even picks at dads chest!!! Any suggestions appreciated!!

Bohac

Tx

Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:14:18 -0600

To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy<Texas-Autism-Advocacy >

Subject: Dennis Leary/Bonnie Hunt

got this from another list:

FYI: Bonnie Hunt is having Dennis Leary on her talk show today and her

lead in was about his " great new book " you know. . . the one where he

says the most inflammatory things about autism and how he thinks that

most kids aren't autistic just spoiled. E-mail Bonnie and tell her what

you think about her choice in guests.

http://www.bonniehunt.com/

My NT grandchild did this and I made him a leather braided bracelet with 2 large beads that hung down long enough to flop into his hand when needed and he just started twirling those when the "urge" hit rather than his hair.

Chris

Dennis Leary/Bonnie Hunt

got this from another list:FYI: Bonnie Hunt is having Dennis Leary on her talk show today and her lead in was about his "great new book" you know. . . the one where he says the most inflammatory things about autism and how he thinks that most kids aren't autistic just spoiled. E-mail Bonnie and tell her what you think about her choice in guests. http://www.bonniehunt.com/

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.552 / Virus Database: 270.9.12 - Release Date: 11/30/2008 12:00 AM

Great idea, thanks for sharing!

Tonya

Texas-Autism-Advocacy

[mailto:Texas-Autism-Advocacy ] On Behalf Of Farley

Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 7:27 AM

To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy

Subject: Re: trichottillomania

My

NT grandchild did this and I made him a leather braided bracelet with 2 large

beads that hung down long enough to flop into his hand when

needed and he just started twirling those when the " urge " hit rather

than his hair.