RemedySpot.com

Re: In school suspension for 1st grader

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Donna,I have been in your situation! Does your son have a BIP? Did the school follow it? When this happened to my son they did not believe in "punitive" punishment and I must say we have a great principal! Feel free to email me.LesliUtUSent via BlackBerry from T-MobileFrom: "dclybrk" Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 22:23:21 -0000To: <Texas-Autism-Advocacy >Subject: In school suspension for 1st grader My just turned 7 year old is going to be sent to ISS tomorrow. For the last week he has decided he does not want to do his classwork. He has lost all of his center time for the last week and much of his recess time. Asst. principal said " maybe this will make him decide to do his classroom work " . This is my first trip down this road to ISS. Anybody have any input? I'm wondering about him being in a room alone with a substitute teacher that does not know him or how to handle him all day long. Change is our greatest problem and now they want to isolate him in a room he's never been in with a person he doesn't know so they can " show him " he needs to do his classroom work. Donna

Has the school tried to do everything in it's power to help your

child if your child doesnt want to do the work?...

>

> My just turned 7 year old is going to be sent to ISS tomorrow. For

the

> last week he has decided he does not want to do his classwork. He

has

> lost all of his center time for the last week and much of his

recess

> time. Asst. principal said " maybe this will make him decide to do

his

> classroom work " .

>

> This is my first trip down this road to ISS. Anybody have any

input?

> I'm wondering about him being in a room alone with a substitute

teacher

> that does not know him or how to handle him all day long. Change

is

> our greatest problem and now they want to isolate him in a room

he's

> never been in with a person he doesn't know so they can " show him "

he

> needs to do his classroom work.

>

> Donna

>

My first grader has never had to do ISS but I'm convinced that the principal of the school would certainly try it if he could get away with it. I would absolutely questions their right to administer such a punishment. Do you have an IEP for your son? If you don't, you should. An IEP should state specifically how your child is to be handled and if ISS is not specifically part of his IEP put in writing that you will not accept your child doing ISS because it is not part of his IEP and you want a formal IEP meeting to discuss his curent dificulties and how to handle them experts in Autism from the district to evaluate him and help determine the appropriate coarse of action. In our district the experts are part of the IU (intermediate unit) but I am in PA and I don't know how it is in Texas. If it were me I would not

even send him to school until I was assured that he would not be in ISS. Like I said, if it is not part of the behavior plan that is part of his IEP, legally they should not be able to implement ISS for him. If you keep him home, call your version of the IU or call the state department of education (you should be able to look on their website and after enough digging find a person to talk to about your problem) for help. This is completely wrong and should not be allowed. Believe me, I have had more then my fair share of arguments with the principal at my son's school. You have to let them know that your child has rights under the law and that his IEP should specifically spell out how he is to be handled. I hope this helps, there are others on this board more knowledgeable then me but that is what I would do.

As far as what would probably work better then ISS, my son, who sounds alot like yours, gets positive reinforcement for compliant behavior. He receives a "token" for small incements of time of being compliant, doing work etc. When he receives a certain number of tokens he is rewarded with break time in the special ed teacher's room and he gets to pick an activity of his choice. This has worked very well with him. Also he has a one on one aide which has helped alot exept that his aide has changed 4 times since the beginning of the year. Change is hard for my guy too so that has been difficult but he is getting better. He get's praise for being "flexible". I can guarantee you that ISS will not be effective. Does your son have Asperger's? That is the diagnosis for my son and it's difficult because often they do not appear "autistic". Put your foot down and insist that you have an IEP meeting

before any ISS happens. Oh and remember, an IEP can not be approved without your approval, remember that! Good Luck!

Subject: In school suspension for 1st graderTo: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 5:23 PM

My just turned 7 year old is going to be sent to ISS tomorrow. For the last week he has decided he does not want to do his classwork. He has lost all of his center time for the last week and much of his recess time. Asst. principal said "maybe this will make him decide to do his classroom work". This is my first trip down this road to ISS. Anybody have any input? I'm wondering about him being in a room alone with a substitute teacher that does not know him or how to handle him all day long. Change is our greatest problem and now they want to isolate him in a room he's never been in with a person he doesn't know so they can "show him" he needs to do his classroom work.Donna

I don't think they can do this legally. If his refusal to do the work

is a manifistation of his disability, I don't think they can

discipline him this way. If I were you, I would start researching

some of the links on the Texas Autism Advocacy website about the laws

in this instance. Also, if you have an IEP, you have been givin many

handouts about the laws pertaining to such. Research behavior

interventions. I would request an emergency ARD from the school

before any such suspension and insist upon a Functional Behavior

Assessment to determine the need for a Behavioral Intervention Plan

and Positive Intervention techniques when he has negative behaviors.

They cannot punish him for something that is a manifistation of his

disability. Also, check out websites by lawyer Doreen Philpott and

also wrightslaw.com for more on FBA, BIP and the law during

misbehavior.

And it is just my very humble opinion, but I would consider not

sending him to school for this very negative and

uncostructive " punishment " for a child with autism.

GOOD LUCK!

C.

Houston

>

> My just turned 7 year old is going to be sent to ISS tomorrow. For

the

> last week he has decided he does not want to do his classwork. He

has

> lost all of his center time for the last week and much of his

recess

> time. Asst. principal said " maybe this will make him decide to do

his

> classroom work " .

>

> This is my first trip down this road to ISS. Anybody have any

input?

> I'm wondering about him being in a room alone with a substitute

teacher

> that does not know him or how to handle him all day long. Change

is

> our greatest problem and now they want to isolate him in a room

he's

> never been in with a person he doesn't know so they can " show him "

he

> needs to do his classroom work.

>

> Donna

>

Thanks everyone, here are a few answers so far:

He is not considered " high functioning " because some of his

developmental skills bring him down into the 3-4 year old range or so

this is how it was described to me. His IQ was in mid 70s range at

end of last summer.

We do have a BIP (FBA was done at end of last year for one hour and

with input with his teacher. This was performed by our sp ed teacher

and diagnostician). No expert in behavior present.

NO Where in his BIP does it list ISS (in school suspension) for his

negative behavior.

His Consequences are : change color on disciline board, verbal

warning, loss of privileges (recess time- free time), go to the

office for visit with administrator, telephone call to parents,

cooling off period.

I tried to explain to school staff that this behavior would probably

show up at our ARD but if " it ain't happening now, we don't want to

know about it " approach was taken. So, so much for being proactive.

I felt if we were prepared for this behavior in advance that when it

did come about there would be a plan in place to address it. I

thought that was what the BIP was for.

Off this morning armed with my info, not going to sit still for the

ISS and will call emergency ARD to address this issue.

Thanks so much everyone

> >

> > My just turned 7 year old is going to be sent to ISS tomorrow.

For

> the

> > last week he has decided he does not want to do his classwork.

He

> has

> > lost all of his center time for the last week and much of his

> recess

> > time. Asst. principal said " maybe this will make him decide to

do

> his

> > classroom work " .

> >

> > This is my first trip down this road to ISS. Anybody have any

> input?

> > I'm wondering about him being in a room alone with a substitute

> teacher

> > that does not know him or how to handle him all day long. Change

> is

> > our greatest problem and now they want to isolate him in a room

> he's

> > never been in with a person he doesn't know so they can " show

him "

> he

> > needs to do his classroom work.

> >

> > Donna

> >

>

Good for you!!!! Good luck to you. I do think it would help if they called in someone who is "more knowledgeable" with autistic children to observe him over a week or two at different times of day in the class room and come up with appropriate, positive interventions. You are also right that if you were concerned this would happen, they should have tried to take a more proactive approach and think of a way ahead of time to deal with it.

Subject: Re: In school suspension for 1st graderTo: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 6:54 AM

Thanks everyone, here are a few answers so far:He is not considered "high functioning" because some of his developmental skills bring him down into the 3-4 year old range or so this is how it was described to me. His IQ was in mid 70s range at end of last summer.We do have a BIP (FBA was done at end of last year for one hour and with input with his teacher. This was performed by our sp ed teacher and diagnostician) . No expert in behavior present.NO Where in his BIP does it list ISS (in school suspension) for his negative behavior.His Consequences are : change color on disciline board, verbal warning, loss of privileges (recess time- free time), go to the office for visit with administrator, telephone call to parents, cooling off period.I tried to explain to school staff that this behavior would probably show up at our ARD but if "it ain't happening now, we don't want to

know about it" approach was taken. So, so much for being proactive. I felt if we were prepared for this behavior in advance that when it did come about there would be a plan in place to address it. I thought that was what the BIP was for. Off this morning armed with my info, not going to sit still for the ISS and will call emergency ARD to address this issue.Thanks so much everyone> >> > My just turned 7 year old is going to be sent to ISS tomorrow. For > the > > last week he has decided he does not want to do his classwork. He > has > > lost all of his center time for the last week and much of his > recess > > time. Asst. principal said "maybe this will make him decide to do > his > > classroom work". > > > > This is my first trip down this road to ISS. Anybody have any > input? > > I'm wondering about him being in a room alone with a substitute > teacher > > that does not know him or how to handle him all day long. Change > is > > our greatest problem and now they want to isolate him in a room

> he's > > never been in with a person he doesn't know so they can "show him" > he > > needs to do his classroom work.> > > > Donna> >>

Also, I from what you described as the consequences for his negative behavior, I am assuming that they have not implemented positive reinforcement for positive behavior. I think positive reinforcement is key. Our children do not respond to negative consequences as much as they do recognizing and rewarding positive behavior. Actually, I think most children are that way but don't try to explain that to school teachers and administrators! If I get a chance, I'll try to find the parts of my sons IEP that deal w/positive reinforcement and see if I can scan them to my computer and forward them privately to you. Maybe not today but we'll see.

Subject: Re: In school suspension for 1st graderTo: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 6:54 AM

Thanks everyone, here are a few answers so far:He is not considered "high functioning" because some of his developmental skills bring him down into the 3-4 year old range or so this is how it was described to me. His IQ was in mid 70s range at end of last summer.We do have a BIP (FBA was done at end of last year for one hour and with input with his teacher. This was performed by our sp ed teacher and diagnostician) . No expert in behavior present.NO Where in his BIP does it list ISS (in school suspension) for his negative behavior.His Consequences are : change color on disciline board, verbal warning, loss of privileges (recess time- free time), go to the office for visit with administrator, telephone call to parents, cooling off period.I tried to explain to school staff that this behavior would probably show up at our ARD but if "it ain't happening now, we don't want to

know about it" approach was taken. So, so much for being proactive. I felt if we were prepared for this behavior in advance that when it did come about there would be a plan in place to address it. I thought that was what the BIP was for. Off this morning armed with my info, not going to sit still for the ISS and will call emergency ARD to address this issue.Thanks so much everyone> >> > My just turned 7 year old is going to be sent to ISS tomorrow. For > the > > last week he has decided he does not want to do his classwork. He > has > > lost all of his center time for the last week and much of his > recess > > time. Asst. principal said "maybe this will make him decide to do > his > > classroom work". > > > > This is my first trip down this road to ISS. Anybody have any > input? > > I'm wondering about him being in a room alone with a substitute > teacher > > that does not know him or how to handle him all day long. Change > is > > our greatest problem and now they want to isolate him in a room

> he's > > never been in with a person he doesn't know so they can "show him" > he > > needs to do his classroom work.> > > > Donna> >>