RemedySpot.com

Re: home school funding

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Contact your school district, I believe they will give you free curriculum to use, I've never gone this route so I don't know the process. There are also virtual academies online. There's www.k12.com and www.k12.com/txva/. As an online public charter school, there is no tuition. TXVA provides students with all instructional materials for the program. Students and families will be responsible for providing some consumable materials.

CReeceMake your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

I don't know of any changes to the K12 curriculum. Of course it depends on your child's abilities whether a program like theirs might work.

The TEA information on child find/proportionate share for privately placed and homeschooled students is here at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/special.ed/private/psguide.pdf. I know of another parent who was offered OT, PT and curriculum. Maybe the offer from the school district to pay for curriculum is on a school by school case, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your school for it--you may have to have an ARD to request the material.

Here are some resources regarding homeschooling I have heard of:

Texas' Special Kids Ministry offers curriculum advice & support for your home school setting. They offer experience with a wide variety of curriculum choices and can tailor advice based on your child's learning style & needs. http://www.txspecialkids.org/services.htm.

Katy_Special_Needs_Homeschool_Group

This group was created for those who are homeschooling a "special needs" child in Katy/Houston area. The support group offers socialization and educational activities, field trips, park days, or just simply spontaneous activities for the kids. Members will find friends, encouragement, educational and medical resources. Katy Special Needs Homeschool Support Group welcomes members from all faith, races and educational styles. You will need to subscribe to join the group.

LATCH, Lending Assistance to Challenged Homeschoolersmeets 2nd Monday of each month at 7 pmKlein United Methodist Church

5920 FM 2920Spring, TX 77388

A parent on another list I'm on once wrote that her son with Asperger's did distance education with the University of Nebraska's high school program and liked it. http://nebraskahs.unl.edu/parents_prospects/home_school.shtml

CReeceMake your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Looks like two teachers at Texas Virtual Academy of the Southwest has sp ed training, but what that might actually mean is anyone's guess.

Chrissy Lang graduated from Texas A & M University with a bachelor of science degree in interdisciplinary studies. She holds Texas certification in General Education K-4 and Special Education EC-4. Prior to joining TXVA, Chrissy taught in ISD and Clear Creek ISD. In her spare time, Chrissy loves to read, scrapbook, cook, and bake. This is her first year with TXVA, and she is thrilled to be a part of the TXVA family! Lorie Medina graduated from the University of Texas Pan American with a bachelor of science degree in elementary education and a minor in special education. She taught grades 1-3 in the Mission ISD and the Pasadena ISD for a total of six years. She also gained experience teaching high school special education in a content-mastery classroom in the Mc ISD. Lorie’s hobbies include reading and scrapbooking.

last I checked , K12 is not designed for special-need students. I have used the curriculum for my typical child in the past. Have there been changes?

I am not aware of any "free" curriculum available to non-schoolers.

Re: home school funding

Contact your school district, I believe they will give you free curriculum to use, I've never gone this route so I don't know the process. There are also virtual academies online. There's www.k12.com and www.k12.com/txva/. As an online public charter school, there is no tuition. TXVA provides students with all instructional materials for the program. Students and families will be responsible for providing some consumable materials.

CReece

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

I had my son enrolled with TXVA for a few months, it was not a good match for us. They sent a ton of material and it seemed like it would be a great program for the right kiddo. They were not able to modify it enough for my son. I was told it was a "mainstream" program. They did offer Speech, I'm not sure about OT or anything else. I didn't feel their Special Ed teachers had a lot of experience with autistic children.

Just my two cents.

Subject: Re: home school fundingTo: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 4:17 PM

Looks like two teachers at Texas Virtual Academy of the Southwest has sp ed training, but what that might actually mean is anyone's guess.

Chrissy Lang graduated from Texas A & M University with a bachelor of science degree in interdisciplinary studies. She holds Texas certification in General Education K-4 and Special Education EC-4. Prior to joining TXVA, Chrissy taught in ISD and Clear Creek ISD. In her spare time, Chrissy loves to read, scrapbook, cook, and bake. This is her first year with TXVA, and she is thrilled to be a part of the TXVA family! Lorie Medina graduated from the University of Texas Pan American with a bachelor of science degree in elementary education and a minor in special education. She taught grades 1-3 in the Mission ISD and the Pasadena ISD for a total of six years. She also gained experience teaching high school special education in a content-mastery classroom in the Mc ISD. Lorie¢s hobbies include reading and scrapbooking.

CReece

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Government agencies do NOT provide curriculia/funding for homeschool

students. (You can still, of course, access things like speech

therapy, etc through your school system, though.)

We homeschool our 3 dc and our middle dc is on the spectrum. We

homeschool on a shoestring and it CAN be done somewhat economically---

with a little creativity.

Homeschooling gives my dc a very tailor-made environment to help him

focus, and also to go at his pace, which tends to have a feast then

famine like aspect to it. It's been a great fit for him and my other

[NT] kiddos.

Email me off loop if you want some of the places we get our curriculia

from and other things I do to shave $$ off our homeschooling expenses.

heylauriegirl@...

-L