RemedySpot.com

Soy and Fibromyalgia

Rate this topic

Guest guest

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/complaints.html

There is a great need to make public the dangers of soy, not only in infant formula but in any product containing soy. I personally have suffered from consuming soy protein shakes for a period of 2-3 years, once a day for breakfast. There are no warning labels on these products! I had been hypothyroid for many years and was taking Synthroid at the time. In spite of the medication I became ill as the result of the effect the soy had on my thyroid. I developed fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, which by the way is due to low thyroid function. (I will wager that 99 percent of all medical doctors are not aware of the connection.) My doctor did not find any change in my lab work so he never suspected that my thyroid was the source of my illness. (I have since found out that blood tests are a poor way to determine thyroid function, but that's another subject.)

Not only did the soy affect my thyroid, it also affected my digestion and brain function! I developed cognitive problems and had difficulty spelling and figuring out basic problems that before had never been a challenge. My memory was steadily going downhill, which at age 45 was a scary prospect, especially since my dad has Alzheimer's disease. As the result of my illness I decided to leave my job.

Many people apply for disability as the result of fibromyalgia. Through prayer and two years of research I am fortunate to be 95 percent symptom-free, part of which is due to avoiding soy products.

Oregon is a leader in recognizing dangerous health issues. I would like to see our government take a stand and make it a requirement that warning labels be printed on any product containing soy. If this were current law, I could have avoided years of misery not to mention the economic damage this situation created. I wonder how many more people out there are experiencing health problems and are clueless that it is the soy in their diet! After all, we have been brain washed for years that soy is good for us! I know one doctor who decided to experiment on herself by using soy daily and within 10 days she became hypothyroid! Even though I was hypothyroid to start with, this problem can happen to anyone.

Soy is dangerous and the public has the right to know what the dangers are so that they can make informed choices. Think of the many helpless babies that are exposed to this toxic chemical every day and their mothers are totally unaware of the damage that may result!

Colleen WitzelEugene, OR

This letter appeared in the Summer 2002 edition of Wise Traditions.