RemedySpot.com

Alternative healing for Macular Degeneration

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

http://alternative-medicine-and-health.com/conditions/maculardeg.htm

All about macular degeneration and alternative treatments

MACULAR DEGENERATION

Please refer to our health precautions section before proceeding.

I GET MORE CALLS about macular degeneration on my radio show than almost any other ailment. At the same time, many people have never heard of it. I suppose it's one of' those ailments you're unaware of until it strikes you or someone you know. This is a shame, because it's also one of those ailments that can be prevented, or at least slowed, through good nutrition and the regular use of supplements. Macular degeneration is the degeneration of the macula, which is the part of the retina that provides sharp central vision. Unlike glaucoma, which causes loss of peripheral vision in its beginning stages, macular degeneration causes loss of central vision at the start. As it progresses, it can cause blindness. In fact, macular degeneration is the second major cause of blindness in the United States. Macular degeneration is primarily a disease of aging. People with high blood pressure, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease are at higher risk than others for developing it. Macular degeneration occurs because the tiny blood vessels that surround the eye become broken or impaired. The macula is then deprived of blood and oxygen. The patient begins to see a black spot in the middle of his field of vision. While peripheral vision may be unaffected for some time, ultimately blindness may result. This is a frustrating disease to treat. I always want to say to patients, "I wish you would have come to see me before you developed this condition." That's because I believe that you can help prevent macular degeneration with good nutrition and supplements, but once the macula has begun to degenerate, you can't revitalize it. There's no real cure for the disorder, but it can be slowed with the use of natural remedies. The latest research points to free-radical damage as the major cause of macular degeneration and the natural treatment is geared to increasing antioxidants, particularly vitamins C and E, which fight free radicals. Increase the fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. This will increase the amounts of vitamins C and E--the known antioxidants. Supplements of vitamin C and vitamin E have proven to be helpful as well. Supplements of beta-carotene--the antioxidant that the body turns into vitamin A--will help to repair the damage that the free radicals inflict. Another nutrient that will help slow the development of macular degeneration is zinc. In one study patients who ranged in age from forty-two to eighty-nine years were given zinc supplements and showed significant improvement in the acuity of their vision following treatment. In addition to nutritional supplements there is another botanical medicine that has been shown to offer great promise in halting the progress of macular degeneration. For reasons unknown, its effects seem to be much more specific for the function of the eye than the other supplements mentioned above. The botanical is called Ginkgo biloba, and it's available at health food stores. NATURAL PRESCRIPTION FOR MACULAR DEGENERATION

Increase the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables in the diet.

IN ADDITION TO YOUR DALLY SUPPLEMENTS, TAKE:

Vitamin C: 1,000 mg: daily. Vitamin E: 400 I.U. daily. Beta-carotene: 25,000 I.U. daily. Zinc: 50 mg. daily. Ginkgo biloba: 40 mg. three times daily.

IN ADDITION: There is now a procedure--krypton laser treatment--in which a point of light aimed at the vessels in the eye stops the bleeding and prevents or at least retards blindness. This treatment is not suitable for everyone, but you might want to discuss it with your doctor.

Please refer to our health precautions section before proceeding.

Home Page

alternative-medicine-and-health, llcPO Box 299 Boonton Twp., NJ 07005Telephone 973-257-1470, Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000 Webmaster