Rate this topic

Guest guest

This doesn't really say much about the issues a redundant colon can cause. I've

been on many blogs and heard from many many people who have suffered terribly

because of this. Mostly, I'm just glad to have an answer to why I have such bad

gas.

>

>

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/articles/redundant-colon-a-health-concern/5E5C71\

E8-CDA5-4563-84A1437D67FF7BDA

>

> After reading about a member's redundant colon I realized I didn't know

exactly what that meant. Here is a site that explains it.

>

> Marla

> WA State

> DS: 2-9-05

>

• 7 months later...
Guest guest

Jo,

I so appreciate you description below. I have a 75cc common channel then Dr. Z

when in because I lived with abdominal pain for a year while they tried to

figure out why. it too the Delano Dr.'s 2 days to get

it right. I had so much what he

called long 'ropey' colon he removed half of my colon. so here is a puzzle.

I begged to have them change me from 75 to 50. they said no

way I would have diarrhea for the rest of my life.

I can only take 600 mg of cal a day or I

will become impacted and require digital removal. TMI I know

Even Dr. K. is stumped on this one. He is just not willing to go to 50 because

of al the other metabolic things that could change.

Best,

Renie

Subject:

Redundant Colon

The term " redundant colon " describes a large intestine

(colon) that is longer than normal and as a result has repetitive, overlapping

loops.

Hugs

Jo

Guest guest

Renie

I am concerned about your only taking 600 mg. of calcium a day....but I get it

that you also can't be impacted.

Are you taking Magnesium? Enough Magnesium?

The general rule is to take Calcium and Magnesium in a 2:1 ratio. So for that

600 mg. of calcium you are taking you need to be taking 300 mg. of magnesium.

(You can take MORE magnesium than the 2:1 ratio if needed)

Magnesium OXIDE is the type that will act in the bowels the most to make you

loosey Goosey.

Magnesium Citrate or Glyinate is best for blood levels and to take if the

magnesium makes you toooo loosey goosey.

You need to get your calcium levels UP...but you need to do it slowly so your

body doesn't get impacted. Keep taking your 600 mg. of calcium...and start

adding Magnesium oxide until you are a bit too loose...then gradually increase

your calcium and your magnesium until you can be taking at least 2000 mg. of

calcium and 1000 mg. of magnesium. (remember to divide and spread out your

calcium doses over the day in 500 mg. amounts.)

If the magnesium oxide makes you too loose than mix it up with Mag. Citrate or

Glyinate...you have to find your bodies own personal level of what works.

Remember magnesium is one of the " trucks " that transports the calcium into the

bones. And makes the bone/teeth structure stronger. It also is important for

muscles/heart/blood pressure.... So it isn't just needed to keep us from

becoming constipated, and most Americans are low on Magnesium.

Hugs

Jo

>

> Jo,

> I so appreciate you description below. I have a 75cc common channel

> then Dr. Z when in because I lived with abdominal pain for a year while

> they tried to figure out why. it too the Delano Dr.'s 2 days to get it

> right. I had so much what he called long 'ropey' colon he removed half

> of my colon. so here is a puzzle. I begged to have them change me from

> 75 to 50. they said no way I would have diarrhea for the rest of my

> life.

> I can only take 600 mg of cal a day or I will become impacted and

> require digital removal. TMI I know

> Even Dr. K. is stumped on this one. He is just not willing to go to 50

> because of al the other metabolic things that could change.

> Best,

> Renie

>

Guest guest

Jo,

To do the prep for the colonoscopy I had

to drink 2 bottles of citrate because 1 did nothing. we ( Dr. K and

I) are working on it. I never want

a dressing down like he gave me several weeks ago ever again. I am up to 1200mg

and 650 of extra citrate in a hot toddy drink at night,

pray it works.

All colon clean out

products are Mag-citrate.

Renie

-----Original Message-----

DS_Friends_Keshishian

[mailto:DS_Friends_Keshishian ] On Behalf Of Jo

Magnesium Citrate or Glyinate is best for blood levels and to take if

the magnesium makes you toooo loosey goosey.

Guest guest

Renie

Ok...good deal your working your way up. Also...DO Drink Plenty, plenty, plenty

of fluids...then drink some more.

Hugs

Jo

>

> Jo,

> To do the prep for the colonoscopy I had to drink 2 bottles of citrate

> because 1 did nothing. we ( Dr. K and I) are working on it. I never

> want a dressing down like he gave me several weeks ago ever again. I am

> up to 1200mg and 650 of extra citrate in a hot toddy drink at night,

> pray it works.

> All colon clean out products are Mag-citrate.

> Renie

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: DS_Friends_Keshishian

> [mailto:DS_Friends_Keshishian ] On Behalf Of Jo

>

>

> Magnesium Citrate or Glyinate is best for blood levels and to take if

> the magnesium makes you toooo loosey goosey.

>

• 1 year later...

Hi . What were your symptoms?Thank you!TonyaSent via BlackBerry from T-MobileSender: DS_Friends_Keshishian Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 01:52:35 -0000To: <DS_Friends_Keshishian >ReplyTo: DS_Friends_Keshishian Subject: Redundant Colon Hi Everyone,Well, I finally got my results from my test. Dr. K has confirmed that I do have a " significant " redundant colon. I hope to manage it with diet. But, he recommends that I have surgery if that doesn't work. YUCK.I REALLY don't want to have surgery. I've had several in my lifetime and I was hoping I had had my last one for a LONG time. We shall see. So, I have had to really change my diet. I should work on continuing to improve it (by eliminating all sugar) :(. And, I've added quite a lot of probiotics as well. I guess time will tell. I have an email to Dr. K for additional info and I get a little concerned as he told me my chances are 50-50 of having to have surgery at some point. GR-DS 3/2003

Hi, My symptoms have been painful abdomen, including pain and tenderness in a specific area (to the left of my belly button). Horrendous gas (i look like I was 6-7months pregnant when it's bad), mild nausea, very tired. Frequent bm's including going to the bathroom, feeling that I'm done, then 5minutes later feel like I have to go again. I have had to cut out eggs, bread, milk products, most beans, most sugar, chocolate, cake, cookies, NO artificial sugar, soda (I know - shouldn't be drinking it anyway), bulky meals, some salad, high fiber fruit and veggies. I drink through a straw (it's suppose to cut down getting additional air- and I DO think it

makes a difference). I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of it right now.Things are much better when I follow this - and when I don't have infection going on - at one point earlier this year I even had a green tongue.I have some times that aren't so good but it's much better right now.

Is all that and more worth having surgery?

To: "DS_Friends_Keshishian " <DS_Friends_Keshishian >Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 5:44 PMSubject: Re: Redundant Colon

Hi,

My symptoms have been painful abdomen, including pain and tenderness in a specific area (to the left of my belly button). Horrendous gas (i look like I was 6-7months pregnant when it's bad), mild nausea, very tired. Frequent bm's including going to the bathroom, feeling that I'm done, then 5minutes later feel like I have to go again.

I have had to cut out eggs, bread, milk products, most beans, most sugar, chocolate, cake, cookies, NO artificial sugar, soda (I know - shouldn't be drinking it anyway), bulky meals, some salad, high fiber fruit and veggies. I drink through a straw (it's suppose to cut down getting additional air- and I DO think it makes a difference).

I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of it right now.

Things are much better when I follow this - and when I don't have infection going on - at one point earlier this year I even had a green tongue.

I have some times that aren't so good but it's much better right now.

I think so! My life is so much better now...I keep it going good after the surgeries (yes I had to have a few) by taking the probiotics that Dr K advises us to take. It's all good now! I had bowel problems even before my DS so I'm a happy camper! The alternative was a bout of sepsis that was not fun! So the decision you need to make is whether it's worth feeling miserable for an indefinite period of time or just deal with a recovery time. In my humble opinion...

DS 12/06/01 335lbs

Now 185 lbs

“Fear only has as much power as we give it space.â€

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,I am doing ok with the changes in my diet - so far. I have times that aren't so great but, they are fewer and much less severe than they had been. I really want to avoid surgery if I can.I am still getting tired pretty easily. I think this has to do with being so sick for almost a year and a lot of very stressful things going on in my life. Including, my sweet brave dad past away in June - unexpectedly. He was a wonderful man that had survived sooooo much. He survived Pancreatic Cancer (12years) and had had a septuple (yup-7) bypass in Nov 2009 and all the chemo, radiation, etc., etc, etc that went with all of that.

I am spending a lot more time with my 77yr old mom that is semi-disabled.Anyway, I am doing ok, all things considered. If anyone has any other suggestionsGR-DS 3/03 w/Dr.K

• 2 weeks later...

it is good to hear that a change in diet has helped. Stress does play

heck on your system. Enjoy your mom while she is here...there really isn't any

do-overs in life, just forward movement.

Hugs

Jo

>

> Hi all,

>

> I am doing ok with the changes in my diet - so far.  I have times that aren't

so great but, they are fewer and much less severe than they had been.  I really

want to avoid surgery if I can.

>

> I am still getting tired pretty easily.  I think this has to do with being so

sick for almost a year and a lot of very stressful things going on in my life.

Including, my sweet brave dad past away in June - unexpectedly.  He was a

wonderful man that had survived sooooo much.  He survived Pancreatic Cancer

(12years) and had had a septuple (yup-7) bypass in Nov 2009 and all the chemo,

radiation, etc., etc, etc that went with all of that.  I am spending a lot more

time with my 77yr old mom that is semi-disabled.

>

> Anyway, I am doing ok, all things considered.   If anyone has any other

suggestions

>

>

> GR-DS 3/03 w/Dr.K 

>

• 8 months later...
Guest guest

Hi All,

I am facing surgery with Dr. K for what he feels is a significant redundant

colon.

I am really interested in hearing from anyone that has had this and if surgery

either helped or not.

Also, If you haven't had surgery for it, what do you do to manage it and is it

working well enough that you feel you can avoid surgery.

I have made many dietary changes, but still struggle. I am always feeling

bloated, tired and having to avoid lots of foods, etc.

All input welcome.

GR-DS 3/23/03 320

6/25/12 250 (I've gained 18lbs in the last year):(

Guest guest

Hi ,

About six months post-DS with Dr K, I was diagnosed with a redundant colon. Dr K

even ordered copies of my X-rays to take to conferences! His advice to me was to

drink more water and be careful not to get compacted with too much fiber. My

colon has lots of hairpin turns. He also advised me to avoid surgery unless it's

completely necessary and go live a happy life. So, in my opinion, if Dr K is

recommending you for colon surgery, it's the best solution for you as an

individual.

Best of luck to you and your new shorter colon!

Vicki in Roseville, CA

DS Dr K, 2-24-04. 341/185.

6/25/12 closer to 230 lbs & 5'11 " tall

Guest guest

Hi ,

About six months post-DS with Dr K, I was diagnosed with a redundant colon. Dr K

even ordered copies of my X-rays to take to conferences! His advice to me was to

drink more water and be careful not to get compacted with too much fiber. My

colon has lots of hairpin turns. He also advised me to avoid surgery unless it's

completely necessary and go live a happy life. So, in my opinion, if Dr K is

recommending you for colon surgery, it's the best solution for you as an

individual.

Best of luck to you and your new shorter colon!

Vicki in Roseville, CA

DS Dr K, 2-24-04. 341/185.

6/25/12 closer to 230 lbs & 5'11 " tall

Guest guest

Hi - I posted this same thing a couple of month ago. I had a revision to the DS with Dr. K also in 2003. My complaint has been incontinence and oil leaks and Dr. K is suggesting the colectomy for me as well. He actually suggested this for me in 2005 for the same reasoning, redundant colon. While I had gas and bloating horribly for years, after 2005 I discovered this probiotic and it helped me tremendously….Ultimate Flora by Renew Life. It does say its time released on the bottle but it still works for me. The manufacturer says if you simply take it out of the capsule and mix it with yogurt or put in a drink, that removes the time release part which is in the capsule itself. I use their product with either 50 or 80 billion. Dr. K has gotten this info from me and said he was sharing it with patients. If I have to take an antibiotic I get horrible gas and bloating again…the Ultimate Flora will clear the gas and bloating and I am back to normal once again. Things got significantly better for years, until the oil leaks and incontinence started back up again for me in 2011. The folks I saw post on here had issues that were not similar to mine (ie incontinence) and had the colectomy done. I could not get my head around how the dissimilarity in issues would dictate the same surgery. Dr. K suggested I go see a colorectal surgeon to see what their take would be. I have seen three. Most are rude and blame my issues on the surgery. However, I found one doc that sent me to physical therapy (I was shocked) and suggested a diet higher in fiber. I will tell you I have been working on this for a couple of months now and may have found a food combo that is actually working for me as I have seen improved results over the past couple of weeks. I am hoping the diet change to include more fiber works out for me. Bottom line is I don’t want to have another surgery…especially when there are no real guarantees that the colectomy would help my situation and Dr. K indicated I would probably have even more bowel movements after the colon was shortened. My gas and bloating remains under control with the Ultimate Flora….its a miracle cure for me. If I can answer any questions, let me know. Marcella From: DS_Friends_Keshishian [mailto:DS_Friends_Keshishian ] On Behalf Of bizZlindaSent: Monday, June 25, 2012 5:40 PMTo: DS_Friends_Keshishian Subject: Redundant Colon Hi All,I am facing surgery with Dr. K for what he feels is a significant redundant colon. I am really interested in hearing from anyone that has had this and if surgery either helped or not.Also, If you haven't had surgery for it, what do you do to manage it and is it working well enough that you feel you can avoid surgery.I have made many dietary changes, but still struggle. I am always feeling bloated, tired and having to avoid lots of foods, etc.All input welcome.GR-DS 3/23/03 3206/25/12 250 (I've gained 18lbs in the last year):(

Guest guest

Hi - I posted this same thing a couple of month ago. I had a revision to the DS with Dr. K also in 2003. My complaint has been incontinence and oil leaks and Dr. K is suggesting the colectomy for me as well. He actually suggested this for me in 2005 for the same reasoning, redundant colon. While I had gas and bloating horribly for years, after 2005 I discovered this probiotic and it helped me tremendously….Ultimate Flora by Renew Life. It does say its time released on the bottle but it still works for me. The manufacturer says if you simply take it out of the capsule and mix it with yogurt or put in a drink, that removes the time release part which is in the capsule itself. I use their product with either 50 or 80 billion. Dr. K has gotten this info from me and said he was sharing it with patients. If I have to take an antibiotic I get horrible gas and bloating again…the Ultimate Flora will clear the gas and bloating and I am back to normal once again. Things got significantly better for years, until the oil leaks and incontinence started back up again for me in 2011. The folks I saw post on here had issues that were not similar to mine (ie incontinence) and had the colectomy done. I could not get my head around how the dissimilarity in issues would dictate the same surgery. Dr. K suggested I go see a colorectal surgeon to see what their take would be. I have seen three. Most are rude and blame my issues on the surgery. However, I found one doc that sent me to physical therapy (I was shocked) and suggested a diet higher in fiber. I will tell you I have been working on this for a couple of months now and may have found a food combo that is actually working for me as I have seen improved results over the past couple of weeks. I am hoping the diet change to include more fiber works out for me. Bottom line is I don’t want to have another surgery…especially when there are no real guarantees that the colectomy would help my situation and Dr. K indicated I would probably have even more bowel movements after the colon was shortened. My gas and bloating remains under control with the Ultimate Flora….its a miracle cure for me. If I can answer any questions, let me know. Marcella From: DS_Friends_Keshishian [mailto:DS_Friends_Keshishian ] On Behalf Of bizZlindaSent: Monday, June 25, 2012 5:40 PMTo: DS_Friends_Keshishian Subject: Redundant Colon Hi All,I am facing surgery with Dr. K for what he feels is a significant redundant colon. I am really interested in hearing from anyone that has had this and if surgery either helped or not.Also, If you haven't had surgery for it, what do you do to manage it and is it working well enough that you feel you can avoid surgery.I have made many dietary changes, but still struggle. I am always feeling bloated, tired and having to avoid lots of foods, etc.All input welcome.GR-DS 3/23/03 3206/25/12 250 (I've gained 18lbs in the last year):(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

I had the surgery, we caught it before it started really hurting.

The gas and bloating is way better. I do stay away from white

flour and don't have as many poops now that I did before. I think

I couldn't clean out at one time, so back I would go 2 or 3 more

times..Good luck, you couldn't be in better hands.

Blessings,

Pat

~~~~~~~~~~~~<><~~~~~

>

> Hi All,

>

> I am facing surgery with Dr. K for what he feels is a significant redundant

colon.

>

> I am really interested in hearing from anyone that has had this and if surgery

either helped or not.

>

> Also, If you haven't had surgery for it, what do you do to manage it and is it

>

> I have made many dietary changes, but still struggle. I am always feeling

>

> All input welcome.

>

>

> GR-DS 3/23/03 320

> 6/25/12 250 (I've gained 18lbs in the last year):(

>

Guest guest

I had the surgery, we caught it before it started really hurting.

The gas and bloating is way better. I do stay away from white

flour and don't have as many poops now that I did before. I think

I couldn't clean out at one time, so back I would go 2 or 3 more

times..Good luck, you couldn't be in better hands.

Blessings,

Pat

~~~~~~~~~~~~<><~~~~~

>

> Hi All,

>

> I am facing surgery with Dr. K for what he feels is a significant redundant

colon.

>

> I am really interested in hearing from anyone that has had this and if surgery

either helped or not.

>

> Also, If you haven't had surgery for it, what do you do to manage it and is it

>

> I have made many dietary changes, but still struggle. I am always feeling

>

> All input welcome.

>

>

> GR-DS 3/23/03 320

> 6/25/12 250 (I've gained 18lbs in the last year):(

>