RemedySpot.com

Risperidone Side Effects

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Good Morning All,

My nearly 9 year old son has been on .25mg of risperidone 2x/day for

approximately 3 months. His behavior has improved wonderfully. However, I am

concerned about the side effects of the drug.

Since starting the med, he has gained about 20 pounds. He's also been having

some occasional stomach pains and an unexplained bruise has appeared on his leg.

I am taking him to the doctor today, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on

this issue.

Regards,

My son was on it and gained weight as well as the stomach pains. We decided to take him off as his behavior was good we didnt lile the aide effects

Good Morning All,

My nearly 9 year old son has been on .25mg of risperidone 2x/day for approximately 3 months.  His behavior has improved wonderfully.  However, I am concerned about the side effects of the drug.

Since starting the med, he has gained about 20 pounds.  He's also been having some occasional stomach pains and an unexplained bruise has appeared on his leg.

I am taking him to the doctor today, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this issue.

Regards,

------------------------------------

You might ask about Abilify instead. Similar med, less side effects although they are possible. To: autism-aspergers From: crazymisskitty@...Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:28:52 -0600Subject: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

My son was on it and gained weight as well as the stomach pains. We decided to take him off as his behavior was good we didnt lile the aide effects

On Jan 19, 2012 3:25 PM, " cmdillon5223 " wrote:

Good Morning All,

My nearly 9 year old son has been on .25mg of risperidone 2x/day for approximately 3 months. His behavior has improved wonderfully. However, I am concerned about the side effects of the drug.

Since starting the med, he has gained about 20 pounds. He's also been having some occasional stomach pains and an unexplained bruise has appeared on his leg.

I am taking him to the doctor today, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this issue.

Regards,

20 lbs in 3 months...woah! It's such a trade off....My son's Dr. just switched him from Concerta/ Ritilin meds to Adderall...ugh! I am wondering how this is going to be any better. I want to pull my hair out now.

Tucker

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:28 PMSubject: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

Good Morning All,My nearly 9 year old son has been on .25mg of risperidone 2x/day for approximately 3 months. His behavior has improved wonderfully. However, I am concerned about the side effects of the drug.Since starting the med, he has gained about 20 pounds. He's also been having some occasional stomach pains and an unexplained bruise has appeared on his leg.I am taking him to the doctor today, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this issue.Regards,------------------------------------

My 13 year old son is also on risperidone at night. He gained 11 pounds in one month and has developed breasts. The doctor will not take him off of it as it has improved his behavior. Instead we are beginning to alter what we eat. With the sugar gone from his diet, I have seen a real improvement in his mood swings.LouiseTo:

autism-aspergers Sent: Thu, January 19, 2012 9:21:14 AMSubject: Risperidone Side Effects

Good Morning All,

My nearly 9 year old son has been on .25mg of risperidone 2x/day for approximately 3 months. His behavior has improved wonderfully. However, I am concerned about the side effects of the drug.

Since starting the med, he has gained about 20 pounds. He's also been having some occasional stomach pains and an unexplained bruise has appeared on his leg.

Regards,

My daughter who is now 30 is on this drug. She is schizophrenic. She was put on it during her teens for psychotic episodes.(She went off it after six months due to the horrendous weight gain) It is basically a drug for schizophrenia and is a serious med with many side effects. When she took it as a teen, given no choice, as she was hearing voices, etc. she gained 89 pounds very quickly.There are other drugs out there that might help your child just as well. I personally would never put anyone on this drug unless they were completely psychotic and would otherwise have to be hospitalized. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:21 AM Subject: Risperidone Side Effects

Good Morning All,

Regards,

What will work for your child will depend on the actual behavior being treated

and it's triggers. For us, the issue was uncontrolled night terror-like rages.

Risperdone has been the most effective treatment. Hate the side effects, but

can't see an alternative right now. For impatience, anger resulting from

depression or anxiety or other issues there may be alternatives. Definitely

bring your concern to the doctor, but I am getting the impression that given

some of the alternatives it is the go to medication for the adolescent agression

surge that comes with various conditions. :-/ It actually has fewer

complications than the medications used to treat bipolar.

My son was initially on Risperdal and we had the same issues. He was constantly

hungry and rapidly gained weight but we did see improvement in his behavior. We

switched to Zyprexa and saw the issue with his appetite improve though it's

still a struggle. He's also 13 though so there is something to be said for that

too. Zyprexa has managed the behavior issues as well as the risperdal. We have

increased his physical activity and monitored his food intake and this has

helped.

Sent from my iPad

Terror like rages is a perfect way to describe what my son had. Risperidone has been tremendously helpful. After about six months, his appetite decreased, but yes, he could eat all day.

Also, he has to have bloodwork done every six months, especially because Risperidone can increase prolactin level greatly.

Subject: Re: Risperidone Side EffectsTo: autism-aspergers Date: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 11:24 PM

What will work for your child will depend on the actual behavior being treated and it's triggers. For us, the issue was uncontrolled night terror-like rages. Risperdone has been the most effective treatment. Hate the side effects, but can't see an alternative right now. For impatience, anger resulting from depression or anxiety or other issues there may be alternatives. Definitely bring your concern to the doctor, but I am getting the impression that given some of the alternatives it is the go to medication for the adolescent agression surge that comes with various conditions. :-/ It actually has fewer complications than the medications used to treat bipolar.

We were on risperdone here too- my son is 10.  However, we had to change drs (long story) and she wanted him off of it immediately.  I was terrified.  It had helped quite a bit.  But we weaned him off and replaced it with ADHD meds. There was a transition period that was rough- but honestly? To my shock?  He's doing better now than he has -ever.  The rages, the sobbing uncontrollably, the impulsive behavior have all calmed by an extreme amount.  I finally feel like i'm enjoying my son in a way that I haven't since he was an infant.  truly.  we've been " surviving " him for as long as i can remember. and all of us were miserable. 

he lost a lot of weight.  he's VERY skinny now, but the dr has pointed out that really his weight was up from the risperdone- not at a normal place- so the loss seems more dramatic.  our family is pretty thin- esp the kids- so he's more 'normal' now- although he seems way skinny to me in comparison to where he was. 

i'm happy right now.  i was scared to change- he had been an extremely violent child- but we're doing ok. :) it's such an emotional journey this is- and working out meds is one leg of that journey.  so glad we get to share it all here! 

-heather

Terror like rages is a perfect way to describe what my son had. Risperidone has been tremendously helpful. After about six months, his appetite decreased, but yes, he could eat all day.

Also, he has to have bloodwork done every six months, especially because Risperidone can increase prolactin level greatly.

Subject: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

To: autism-aspergers Date: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 11:24 PM

What will work for your child will depend on the actual behavior being treated and it's triggers. For us, the issue was uncontrolled night terror-like rages. Risperdone has been the most effective treatment. Hate the side effects, but can't see an alternative right now. For impatience, anger resulting from depression or anxiety or other issues there may be alternatives. Definitely bring your concern to the doctor, but I am getting the impression that given some of the alternatives it is the go to medication for the adolescent agression surge that comes with various conditions. :-/ It actually has fewer complications than the medications used to treat bipolar.

Which ADHD drug is he on now? We are switching from Concerta to Adderall...(today is our first day) and they have to build him up to his therapeutic level. He went from 54 mg. of Concerta w/ a 20 mg. Ritalin booster (b/c the Concerta won't start as soon as we needed) to 5 mg. of Adderall!!!! Day 1-5 is 5 mg., Day 6-10 is 10 mg. and day 10 is 20 mg. His other Dr. said he'd probably need more than that...maybe up to 40 mg. of Adderall. I am going to lose my mind today with him on 5 mg. of Adderall!! Might as well be nothing! To: autism-aspergers Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 10:51 AM Subject: Re: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

We were on risperdone here too- my son is 10. However, we had to change drs (long story) and she wanted him off of it immediately. I was terrified. It had helped quite a bit. But we weaned him off and replaced it with ADHD meds. There was a transition period that was rough- but honestly? To my shock? He's doing better now than he has -ever. The rages, the sobbing uncontrollably, the impulsive behavior have all calmed by an extreme amount. I finally feel like i'm enjoying my son in a way that I haven't since he was an infant. truly. we've been "surviving" him for as long as i can remember. and all of us were miserable.

he lost a lot of weight. he's VERY skinny now, but the dr has pointed out that really his weight was up from the risperdone- not at a normal place- so the loss seems more dramatic. our family is pretty thin- esp the kids- so he's more 'normal' now- although he seems way skinny to me in comparison to where he was.

i'm happy right now. i was scared to change- he had been an extremely violent child- but we're doing ok. :) it's such an emotional journey this is- and working out meds is one leg of that journey. so glad we get to share it all here!

-heather

he's on concerta.  but- we always have the option of adding in an afternoon dose of ritalin if i want to- or an afternoon dose of clonidine (which we DO do sometimes).  he also uses clonidine to sleep. i'd be frustrated too to start so low again.  i know the process of fooling around with meds is beyond frustrating!  i hate it!  i hope you're able to find a good fit- SOON!

Which ADHD drug is he on now?  We are switching from Concerta to Adderall...(today is our first day) and they have to build him up to his therapeutic level.  He went from 54 mg. of Concerta w/ a 20 mg. Ritalin booster (b/c the Concerta won't start as soon as we needed) to 5 mg. of Adderall!!!!  Day 1-5 is 5 mg., Day 6-10 is 10 mg. and day 10 is 20 mg.  His other Dr. said he'd probably need more than that...maybe up to 40 mg. of Adderall.  I am going to lose my mind today with him on 5 mg. of Adderall!!  Might as well be nothing! 

To: autism-aspergers

Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 10:51 AM Subject: Re: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

We were on risperdone here too- my son is 10.  However, we had to change drs (long story) and she wanted him off of it immediately.  I was terrified.  It had helped quite a bit.  But we weaned him off and replaced it with ADHD meds. There was a transition period that was rough- but honestly? To my shock?  He's doing better now than he has -ever.  The rages, the sobbing uncontrollably, the impulsive behavior have all calmed by an extreme amount.  I finally feel like i'm enjoying my son in a way that I haven't since he was an infant.  truly.  we've been " surviving " him for as long as i can remember. and all of us were miserable. 

he lost a lot of weight.  he's VERY skinny now, but the dr has pointed out that really his weight was up from the risperdone- not at a normal place- so the loss seems more dramatic.  our family is pretty thin- esp the kids- so he's more 'normal' now- although he seems way skinny to me in comparison to where he was. 

i'm happy right now.  i was scared to change- he had been an extremely violent child- but we're doing ok. :) it's such an emotional journey this is- and working out meds is one leg of that journey.  so glad we get to share it all here! 

-heather

Adderall is supposed to only take 20 mins to start working vs. Concerta took much longer in Tom. That's what we had the dosage, we could give it to him in the AM or PM but he needed it in the AM otherwise it was 1030 before the Concerta decided it was going to start working. Still have not gotten a call back from his Dr. about being on 5 mg. of Adderall not working. :( I need a drink! (not that I drink) LOL From: Ristau

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 11:12 AM Subject: Re: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

he's on concerta. but- we always have the option of adding in an afternoon dose of ritalin if i want to- or an afternoon dose of clonidine (which we DO do sometimes). he also uses clonidine to sleep. i'd be frustrated too to start so low again. i know the process of fooling around with meds is beyond frustrating! i hate it! i hope you're able to find a good fit- SOON!

Which ADHD drug is he on now? We are switching from Concerta to Adderall...(today is our first day) and they have to build him up to his therapeutic level. He went from 54 mg. of Concerta w/ a 20 mg. Ritalin booster (b/c the Concerta won't start as soon as we needed) to 5 mg. of Adderall!!!! Day 1-5 is 5 mg., Day 6-10 is 10 mg. and day 10 is 20 mg. His other Dr. said he'd probably need more than that...maybe up to 40 mg. of Adderall. I am going to lose my mind today with him on 5 mg. of Adderall!! Might as well be nothing!

To: autism-aspergers

Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 10:51 AM Subject: Re: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

We were on risperdone here too- my son is 10. However, we had to change drs (long story) and she wanted him off of it immediately. I was terrified. It had helped quite a bit. But we weaned him off and replaced it with ADHD meds. There was a transition period that was rough- but honestly? To my shock? He's doing better now than he has -ever. The rages, the sobbing uncontrollably, the impulsive behavior have all calmed by an extreme amount. I finally feel like i'm enjoying my son in a way that I haven't since he was an infant. truly. we've been "surviving" him for as long as i can remember. and all of us were miserable.

he lost a lot of weight. he's VERY skinny now, but the dr has pointed out that really his weight was up from the risperdone- not at a normal place- so the loss seems more dramatic. our family is pretty thin- esp the kids- so he's more 'normal' now- although he seems way skinny to me in comparison to where he was.

i'm happy right now. i was scared to change- he had been an extremely violent child- but we're doing ok. :) it's such an emotional journey this is- and working out meds is one leg of that journey. so glad we get to share it all here!

-heather

, just pay attention to your child's behavior. My son had issues with increased aggression with the Adderall. The doctor said many of these children can have increased aggression with the stimulants.

To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 11:15 AMSubject: Re: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

Adderall is supposed to only take 20 mins to start working vs. Concerta took much longer in Tom. That's what we had the dosage, we could give it to him in the AM or PM but he needed it in the AM otherwise it was 1030 before the Concerta decided it was going to start working. Still have not gotten a call back from his Dr. about being on 5 mg. of Adderall not working. :( I need a drink! (not that I drink) LOL

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 11:12 AMSubject: Re: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

he's on concerta. but- we always have the option of adding in an afternoon dose of ritalin if i want to- or an afternoon dose of clonidine (which we DO do sometimes). he also uses clonidine to sleep. i'd be frustrated too to start so low again. i know the process of fooling around with meds is beyond frustrating! i hate it! i hope you're able to find a good fit- SOON!

Which ADHD drug is he on now? We are switching from Concerta to Adderall...(today is our first day) and they have to build him up to his therapeutic level. He went from 54 mg. of Concerta w/ a 20 mg. Ritalin booster (b/c the Concerta won't start as soon as we needed) to 5 mg. of Adderall!!!! Day 1-5 is 5 mg., Day 6-10 is 10 mg. and day 10 is 20 mg. His other Dr. said he'd probably need more than that...maybe up to 40 mg. of Adderall. I am going to lose my mind today with him on 5 mg. of Adderall!! Might as well be nothing!

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 10:51 AMSubject: Re: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

We were on risperdone here too- my son is 10. However, we had to change drs (long story) and she wanted him off of it immediately. I was terrified. It had helped quite a bit. But we weaned him off and replaced it with ADHD meds. There was a transition period that was rough- but honestly? To my shock? He's doing better now than he has -ever. The rages, the sobbing uncontrollably, the impulsive behavior have all calmed by an extreme amount. I finally feel like i'm enjoying my son in a way that I haven't since he was an infant. truly. we've been "surviving" him for as long as i can remember. and all of us were miserable. he lost a lot of weight. he's VERY skinny now, but the dr has pointed out that really his weight was up from the risperdone- not at a normal place- so the loss seems more dramatic. our family is pretty thin- esp the kids- so he's more 'normal' now- although he

seems way skinny to me in comparison to where he was. i'm happy right now. i was scared to change- he had been an extremely violent child- but we're doing ok. :) it's such an emotional journey this is- and working out meds is one leg of that journey. so glad we get to share it all here! -heather

Subject: Re: Risperidone Side EffectsTo: autism-aspergers Date: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 11:24 PM

My son gained a lot a weight on the risperodone as well. He was taking 1mg in the morning and 2mg at bedtime. He started having strang body movements and was taken off the drug after he had taken it for years. He has been off this drug for about 1 month now and has lost over 20 pounds in 2 weeks. He has a new doctor now who says he was taking too much of the risperdone before. He says the 0.25mg would be effective and says tht it is used at low doses to bind with other medications. He put my son on fluoxetine 10mg and wanted to add the lower dose of risperodone, but did not at this time. He says it makes a 10mg dose as effective as a 60mg dose of fluoxetine. Maybe your child is own this medication to make the other meds work better. Talk to his doctor to find out. Has anyone else

heard this about risperodone binding with other meds to make it more effective?

To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:34 PMSubject: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

20 lbs in 3 months...woah! It's such a trade off....My son's Dr. just switched him from Concerta/ Ritilin meds to Adderall...ugh! I am wondering how this is going to be any better. I want to pull my hair out now.

Tucker

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:28 PMSubject: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

Good Morning All,My nearly 9 year old son has been on .25mg of risperidone 2x/day for approximately 3 months. His behavior has improved wonderfully. However, I am concerned about the side effects of the drug.Since starting the med, he has gained about 20 pounds. He's also been having some occasional stomach pains and an unexplained bruise has appeared on his leg.I am taking him to the doctor today, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this issue.Regards,------------------------------------

I completely agree with you. My daughter who is now 30 is on this drug. She is schizophrenic. She was put on it during her teens for psychotic episodes.(She went off it after six months due to the horrendous weight gain) It is basically a drug for schizophrenia and is a serious med with many side effects. When she took it as a teen, given no choice, as she was hearing voices, etc. she gained 89 pounds very quickly.There are other drugs out there that might help your child just as well. I personally would never put anyone on this drug unless they were completely psychotic and would otherwise have to be hospitalized. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:21 AM Subject: Risperidone Side Effects Good Morning All, My nearly 9 year old son has been on .25mg of risperidone 2x/day for approximately 3 months. His behavior has improved wonderfully. However, I am concerned about the side effects of the drug. Since starting the med, he has gained about 20 pounds. He's also been having some occasional stomach pains and an unexplained bruise has appeared on his leg. I am taking him to the doctor today, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this issue. Regards,

My son gained weight on both of these meds. He was on Abilify first and gained about 30 lbs in about 4 months. He was on Risperidone for 3 weeks and gain 12 lbs. He now has metabolic resistance (pre-diabetic) from being on these meds.

Re: Risperidone Side Effects

Good Morning All,

Regards,

My son so developed breasts....and even now being off of these meds..they have not gone away.

Risperidone Side Effects

Good Morning All,

Regards,

How awful!! I've debated these on/ off for a while. You hear about the potential side effects but you don't think they are going to happen to your kiddo, right? :(

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:39 PMSubject: Re: Risperidone Side Effects

My son so developed breasts....and even now being off of these meds..they have not gone away.

Risperidone Side Effects

Good Morning All,My nearly 9 year old son has been on .25mg of risperidone 2x/day for approximately 3 months. His behavior has improved wonderfully. However, I am concerned about the side effects of the drug.Since starting the med, he has gained about 20 pounds. He's also been having some occasional stomach pains and an unexplained bruise has appeared on his leg.I am taking him to the doctor today, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this issue.Regards,

Reversing, Curing, and Healing Autism Using Natural Treatments!

No side effects! Seeing is believing! www.brandonswindow.com,

Our plight is to help others!

My daughter who is now 30 is on this drug. She is schizophrenic. She was put on it during her teens for psychotic episodes.(She went off it after six months due to the horrendous weight gain) It is basically a drug for schizophrenia and is a serious med with many side effects. When she took it as a teen, given no choice, as she was hearing voices, etc. she gained 89 pounds very quickly.

There are other drugs out there that might help your child just as well. I personally would never put anyone on this drug unless they were completely psychotic and would otherwise have to be hospitalized.

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:21 AMSubject: Risperidone Side Effects

Good Morning All,My nearly 9 year old son has been on .25mg of risperidone 2x/day for approximately 3 months. His behavior has improved wonderfully. However, I am concerned about the side effects of the drug.Since starting the med, he has gained about 20 pounds. He's also been having some occasional stomach pains and an unexplained bruise has appeared on his leg.I am taking him to the doctor today, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this issue.Regards,