RemedySpot.com

Re: Falling through the cracks

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We have a similar story with our 6 yr old son; however we were fortunate to get help for him in our previous state. We are very lucky that our neighborhood school has good teachers within an inclusion class with Interrelated Teachers. If you cannot get him into a specialized program, begin working with him as much as possible at home. My favorite book for working with my son was "Behavior Intervention for Young Children With Autism". It has a very good discussion and directions on how to implement ABA programs. There are also detailed lesson plans you could use. My son's teachers also used this book as a reference for creating lesson plans for him. Floortime is another good methond you could try. One of my son's greatest challenges in social skills. I'm trying to learn as much as possible on how to teach

social skills and implementing techniques throughout our day and interactions with others. Try to bring lots of structure and predictability to his day. Also try to work as much as possible with your son to know his learning styles, strengths, and weaknesses. I've had to give lots of input and direction to his teachers on how to work with my son. I've also had to ensure that IEP goals are appropriate for him. Unfortunately since my son has an autism diagnosis, others automatically think he is not capable of learning. The fact is that he is very smart, but learns differently. Modifications have to be made with his school work such as limiting the amount of problems on a page, repeating directions, lengthing the amount of time required for completion, frequent breaks, etc. Another great resource I have found is the book "Pivitol Response Training". I have found that my son loves learning on the

computer. He loves the website TimeforLearning.com. THis curriculum is used by many homeschooling families. Keep learning as much as possible on how to help your son and continue advocating for him. Check out wrightslaw.com. If you do not agree with your schools elegibility findings, you are entitled to and Independent Educational Evaluation. Best wishes.

Subject: Falling through the cracksTo: autism-georgia Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 2:14 PM

I have came in contact with many families that argue that theirchildren are falling through the cracks due to being HighFunctioning. Let me share my story and please know that my story isMOST common with others that have children.My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for Pre-schoolintervention. I did manage to get him into Head Start and thought wewere on the right path. Every day that I dropped my son off I got aphone call to come and get him that the teachers do not know how todeal with him. I made suggestions such as move him to another room,no space for that.....give him one on one time during his time he cannot focus, not enough staff for that. I took my son out of thatprogram thanking I can find another program to serve him. When I wasin the office of a local day care/pre-school, I had my son with meand he was trying to see every part of the room at one time. He didnot have a

tantrum but he was busy due to the fact it was a newarea. I was informed at that time that they can not serve him andgive him the one to one he needs.He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job) and not receivingservices. I have a saying----a child only educated at school is anuneducated child-----I also know that he needs to learn from othersas well.When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait about a month or soto be referred to special programs, than he will have to go throughthe TEAR steps which can take half the school year. So this is everyday that my child will be behind.Services are needed and they are needed now. I am a mom and anadvocate and I am concern about not only my child's education but theeducation of my community and the future of our children.We really need a program that can serve High Functioning children.*FYI-my son has the diagnoses of

PDD,Thanks for your time and I hope I have your support, HallTifton GA.

We have a similar story with our 6 yr old son; however we were fortunate to get help for him in our previous state. We are very lucky that our neighborhood school has good teachers within an inclusion class with Interrelated Teachers. If you cannot get him into a specialized program, begin working with him as much as possible at home. My favorite book for working with my son was "Behavior Intervention for Young Children With Autism". It has a very good discussion and directions on how to implement ABA programs. There are also detailed lesson plans you could use. My son's teachers also used this book as a reference for creating lesson plans for him. Floortime is another good methond you could try. One of my son's greatest challenges in social skills. I'm trying to learn as much as possible on how to teach

social skills and implementing techniques throughout our day and interactions with others. Try to bring lots of structure and predictability to his day. Also try to work as much as possible with your son to know his learning styles, strengths, and weaknesses. I've had to give lots of input and direction to his teachers on how to work with my son. I've also had to ensure that IEP goals are appropriate for him. Unfortunately since my son has an autism diagnosis, others automatically think he is not capable of learning. The fact is that he is very smart, but learns differently. Modifications have to be made with his school work such as limiting the amount of problems on a page, repeating directions, lengthing the amount of time required for completion, frequent breaks, etc. Another great resource I have found is the book "Pivitol Response Training". I have found that my son loves learning on the

computer. He loves the website TimeforLearning.com. THis curriculum is used by many homeschooling families. Keep learning as much as possible on how to help your son and continue advocating for him. Check out wrightslaw.com. If you do not agree with your schools elegibility findings, you are entitled to and Independent Educational Evaluation. Best wishes.

Subject: Falling through the cracksTo: autism-georgia Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 2:14 PM

I have came in contact with many families that argue that theirchildren are falling through the cracks due to being HighFunctioning. Let me share my story and please know that my story isMOST common with others that have children.My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for Pre-schoolintervention. I did manage to get him into Head Start and thought wewere on the right path. Every day that I dropped my son off I got aphone call to come and get him that the teachers do not know how todeal with him. I made suggestions such as move him to another room,no space for that.....give him one on one time during his time he cannot focus, not enough staff for that. I took my son out of thatprogram thanking I can find another program to serve him. When I wasin the office of a local day care/pre-school, I had my son with meand he was trying to see every part of the room at one time. He didnot have a

tantrum but he was busy due to the fact it was a newarea. I was informed at that time that they can not serve him andgive him the one to one he needs.He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job) and not receivingservices. I have a saying----a child only educated at school is anuneducated child-----I also know that he needs to learn from othersas well.When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait about a month or soto be referred to special programs, than he will have to go throughthe TEAR steps which can take half the school year. So this is everyday that my child will be behind.Services are needed and they are needed now. I am a mom and anadvocate and I am concern about not only my child's education but theeducation of my community and the future of our children.We really need a program that can serve High Functioning children.*FYI-my son has the diagnoses of

PDD,Thanks for your time and I hope I have your support, HallTifton GA.

You are 100% right. Our boy is smart very smart just has issues with other people, learning new things. He knows how just can't make it happen. We still haven't told everybody yet. Some we haven't told yet cause we don't think it is something is everybody's bees wax. But we are also to a point that it is not something we have to hide either. Don't know if this normal for everybody but we are taking baby steps in this whole process. Thank you Ogiba jamieogiba@... Wed, Dec 3, 200847835700474:27:42 AM Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: Angelique Rendueles Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 19:49:21 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re: Falling through the cracks We have a similar story with our 6 yr old son; however we were fortunate to get help for him in our previous state. We are very lucky that our neighborhood school has good teachers within an inclusion class with Interrelated Teachers. If you cannot get him into a specialized program, begin working with him as much as possible at home. My favorite book for working with my son was "Behavior Intervention for Young Children With Autism". It has a very good discussion and directions on how to implement ABA programs. There are also detailed lesson plans you could use. My son's teachers also used this book as a reference for creating lesson plans for him. Floortime is another good methond you could try. One of my son's greatest challenges in social skills. I'm trying to learn as much as possible on how to teach social skills and implementing techniques throughout our day and interactions with others. Try to bring lots of structure and predictability to his day. Also try to work as much as possible with your son to know his learning styles, strengths, and weaknesses. I've had to give lots of input and direction to his teachers on how to work with my son. I've also had to ensure that IEP goals are appropriate for him. Unfortunately since my son has an autism diagnosis, others automatically think he is not capable of learning. The fact is that he is very smart, but learns differently. Modifications have to be made with his school work such as limiting the amount of problems on a page, repeating directions, lengthing the amount of time required for completion, frequent breaks, etc. Another great resource I have found is the book "Pivitol Response Training". I have found that my son loves learning on the computer. He loves the website TimeforLearning.com. THis curriculum is used by many homeschooling families. Keep learning as much as possible on how to help your son and continue advocating for him. Check out wrightslaw.com. If you do not agree with your schools elegibility findings, you are entitled to and Independent Educational Evaluation. Best wishes.From: wehaveautism <hjessi2aol>Subject: Falling through the cracksTo: autism-georgia Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 2:14 PMI have came in contact with many families that argue that theirchildren are falling through the cracks due to being HighFunctioning. Let me share my story and please know that my story isMOST common with others that have children.My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for Pre-schoolintervention. I did manage to get him into Head Start and thought wewere on the right path. Every day that I dropped my son off I got aphone call to come and get him that the teachers do not know how todeal with him. I made suggestions such as move him to another room,no space for that.....give him one on one time during his time he cannot focus, not enough staff for that. I took my son out of thatprogram thanking I can find another program to serve him. When I wasin the office of a local day care/pre-school, I had my son with meand he was trying to see every part of the room at one time. He didnot have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact it was a newarea. I was informed at that time that they can not serve him andgive him the one to one he needs.He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job) and not receivingservices. I have a saying----a child only educated at school is anuneducated child-----I also know that he needs to learn from othersas well.When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait about a month or soto be referred to special programs, than he will have to go throughthe TEAR steps which can take half the school year. So this is everyday that my child will be behind.Services are needed and they are needed now. I am a mom and anadvocate and I am concern about not only my child's education but theeducation of my community and the future of our children.We really need a program that can serve High Functioning children.*FYI-my son has the diagnoses of PDD,Thanks for your time and I hope I have your support, HallTifton GA.

that was one of the most angering things for me to deal with as a mom

to 2 kids on the spectrum. when i went to iep's alone, i got

trampled...when i took hubby or any other male body (even if they did

nothing but just sit there and never say a word), the meetings were

overwhelmingly successful. i advise all moms to take a male person

to ieps for this reason. it stinks but it makes a difference.

as for falling thru the cracks, my 18yo aspie fell thru many cracks

along the way. its very frustrating to know your kid needs help but

to be told no, due to lack of funding.

>

> What I have found out here at least is when my wife handled she

didn't get anywhere's. But when I handle (maybe in the wrong way) it

seems to have a better outcome.

>

> Thank you

>

> Ogiba

>

> jamieogiba@...

>

> Wed, Dec 3, 2008

>

> 4783570047

>

> 4:29:53 AM

>

> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

>

> Falling through the cracks

>

>

>

> I have came in contact with many families that argue that their

> children are falling through the cracks due to being High

> Functioning. Let me share my story and please know that my story is

> MOST common with others that have children.

>

> My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for Pre-school

> intervention. I did manage to get him into Head Start and thought we

> were on the right path. Every day that I dropped my son off I got a

> phone call to come and get him that the teachers do not know how to

> deal with him. I made suggestions such as move him to another room,

> no space for that.....give him one on one time during his time he

can

> not focus, not enough staff for that. I took my son out of that

> program thanking I can find another program to serve him. When I was

> in the office of a local day care/pre-school, I had my son with me

> and he was trying to see every part of the room at one time. He did

> not have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact it was a new

> area. I was informed at that time that they can not serve him and

> give him the one to one he needs.

>

> He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job) and not receiving

> services. I have a saying----a child only educated at school is an

> uneducated child-----I also know that he needs to learn from others

> as well.

>

> When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait about a month or

so

> to be referred to special programs, than he will have to go through

> the TEAR steps which can take half the school year. So this is every

> day that my child will be behind.

>

> Services are needed and they are needed now. I am a mom and an

> advocate and I am concern about not only my child's education but

the

> education of my community and the future of our children.

>

> We really need a program that can serve High Functioning children.

>

> *FYI-my son has the diagnoses of PDD,

>

> Thanks for your time and I hope I have your support,

>

> Hall

> Tifton GA.

>

My son was diagnosed with moderate/mild autism when he was

diagnosed. He is actually very HFA. He went to a great Montessori School for his GA pre-K year with a

staff that was wary at first, but decided to take the plunge. Initially

they told me that my son had the social skills of a 2 year old. It

crushed me. We suspected autism, and by November, he was diagnosed.

His little brother was diagnosed in August… moderate/severe.

The staff was great at Montessori. For most of the day, HE got to choose

what he wanted to do, and it was MATH. Almost every day, he spent the day

in the math area with Miss Kazuma (however her name was spelled). All the

teachers there were in their 50s and had probably seen it all by then.

The owner of the Montessori school told me that she had to “restrain my

son” several times during the first week of school to keep him (and the

other kids) safe – and she waited until December to tell me. I have

a M. Ed. in special education, and by then had a very good trust and rapport

with the owner. My son had no marks on him, was never upset, and I knew

he was just fine. He was always happy to go to school. They

understood there that he could not sit on a rug and provided him with a rocking

chair to sit in during story time. There were several days he refused to

wear his shoes to school, and they worked with me on getting his shoes on him –

no shoes, no math, no breakfast, etc. They always backed me up. At

the end of the year, they very calmly told me, “Now, I don’t know

how well he is going to do with our little production, but just don’t

worry about it…. You have a wonderful child, and honestly, we would take

12 just like him next year.”. He actually was able to sit on his

rug for the performance and did most of his hand gestures to the songs without

getting upset. It was a small, modest Montessori with loving teachers and

a big fence around it…. My kid needed a big fence… The last 8

weeks of school, he decided he would learn something about letters and reading…

It was really funny.

The ladies from the Montessori school tried to help the

teachers at the public school as he transitioned, but the public school would

not listen to them. He had a terrible transition into public school

because they would not implement any of the suggested strategies. I

worked at the school he was attending part-time, and my administrator called me

DAILY for 6+ weeks to “tell me all the horrible things my child was doing

wrong” – and believe me, he did anything and everything wrong he

could think of. It was like being the parent of Attila the Hun. My

son got resource support in the public school, but the resource teacher was too

busy to go down there and straighten out the kindergarten teacher.

Finally by Thanksgiving, he was fine. For K and 1st grades we

had to develop a system of sensory breaks before school to get him focused,

during school, etc. We had to do a lot of social stories to know what was

okay and what was NOT okay. Our first was titled “Teeth are for

Food.” He had to have a face with a finger up to its lips going “Shhhh!”

to remind him to be quiet so that the teacher could point to it from time to

time to remind him to not talk out all the time. He had his “Quiet

Mouth” with him each year until 4th grade. He also had a

“Quiet hands and feet” one, too. (a guy sitting straight up

at his desk). Each room in K and 1st had a weighted blanket,

and he had access to chewy tubing. He still likes chewy tubing and keeps

it in his pocket. He memorizes his schedule within a week now,…so

no need for a visual, which used to be given him every year to help him with

transitions. He calls it his “Table of Contents” and now

protests that “They gave him another Table of Contents” for the

class”. He is in 5th grade.

I would encourage any of you to check out n Joiners

DVDs on The Model Classroom for Autism TMC for Autism. They have lots of

strategies that you can implement in your child’s classroom, your home,

etc. very easily to help him cope. Her perspective is invaluable. I

know that the videos are available in the Gwinnett Library or you can purchase

them pretty inexpensively. They are very helpful. She goes around

setting up classrooms for autism students, and has done the ones in Floyd County.

Just hang in there. There are days I feel like my

children fall between the cracks, but there are positive experiences too.

For my children, K and 1st were not good (for both of them), the

other years have been very good.

Let me asure you, that is a southern thing. That was

not my experience in WV. When I lived in GA, I

suffered the worst sexual harrasment of my life.

Marilyn Pyles

Gainesville, VA

--- tatumcrew wrote:

> that was one of the most angering things for me to

> deal with as a mom

> to 2 kids on the spectrum. when i went to iep's

> alone, i got

> trampled...when i took hubby or any other male body

> (even if they did

> nothing but just sit there and never say a word),

> the meetings were

> overwhelmingly successful. i advise all moms to

> take a male person

> to ieps for this reason. it stinks but it makes a

> difference.

>

> as for falling thru the cracks, my 18yo aspie fell

> thru many cracks

> along the way. its very frustrating to know your

> kid needs help but

> to be told no, due to lack of funding.

>

>

>

> >

> > What I have found out here at least is when my

> wife handled she

> didn't get anywhere's. But when I handle (maybe in

> the wrong way) it

> seems to have a better outcome.

> >

> > Thank you

> >

> > Ogiba

> >

> > jamieogiba@...

> >

> > Wed, Dec 3, 2008

> >

> > 4783570047

> >

> > 4:29:53 AM

> >

> > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

> >

> > Falling through the

> cracks

> >

> >

> >

> > I have came in contact with many families that

> argue that their

> > children are falling through the cracks due to

> being High

> > Functioning. Let me share my story and please know

> that my story is

> > MOST common with others that have children.

> >

> > My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for

> Pre-school

> > intervention. I did manage to get him into Head

> Start and thought we

> > were on the right path. Every day that I dropped

> my son off I got a

> > phone call to come and get him that the teachers

> do not know how to

> > deal with him. I made suggestions such as move him

> to another room,

> > no space for that.....give him one on one time

> during his time he

> can

> > not focus, not enough staff for that. I took my

> son out of that

> > program thanking I can find another program to

> serve him. When I was

> > in the office of a local day care/pre-school, I

> had my son with me

> > and he was trying to see every part of the room at

> one time. He did

> > not have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact

> it was a new

> > area. I was informed at that time that they can

> not serve him and

> > give him the one to one he needs.

> >

> > He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job)

> and not receiving

> > services. I have a saying----a child only educated

> at school is an

> > uneducated child-----I also know that he needs to

> learn from others

> > as well.

> >

> > When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait

> about a month or

> so

> > to be referred to special programs, than he will

> have to go through

> > the TEAR steps which can take half the school

> year. So this is every

> > day that my child will be behind.

> >

> > Services are needed and they are needed now. I am

> a mom and an

> > advocate and I am concern about not only my

> child's education but

> the

> > education of my community and the future of our

> children.

> >

> > We really need a program that can serve High

> Functioning children.

> >

> > *FYI-my son has the diagnoses of PDD,

>

=== message truncated ===

Re: Angelique's statement:

<Unfortunately since my son has an autism diagnosis, others

automatically think he is not capable of learning.>

I think this stereotypical way of thinking about our children is about

to fall through the cracks itself !! Many now realize that even our

non verbal children may be smarter then their teachers !!!

In Regards to Krista's in the ever so beat up in due process Blackwell

Elementary:

I'm very happy to hear that at least a small part of Colorado has

decided to change it's ways from earlier in this decade. From

2002-2004 I did so many Due Process cases in that state I would need

everyone's fingers and toes that responded to the original post just

to count them and Blackwell was nailed and settled a LOT of cases.

Parents that are willing to step out into their belief and go up

against school districts make it alot easier for the next ones to do

so.. and eventually as in many states we end up with a Post like yours

Krista. In your case I would consider yourself extremely fortunate -

luck has nothing to do with it - now you know !!

If we weren't super glued quiet with gag orders I would tell you a

little more about the past in that County.. but it has changed from

your report which makes it unnecessary anyway. I am seeing alot of

changes within the state and am pleased to see the availability of

programs. Like the old saying goes " Don't count your chickens before

they hatch " ...well it still applies. It's great to hear some

positive feedback regarding a state that was at one time one of the

hardest to get FAPE in. I know of multiple parents that have moved

away from there due to this - one just moved to California ..this was

only about a month ago I got that emailed complaint.

I've seen them move to N.M., CA., NY., and Hawai'i. So as I stated,

you are extremely fortunate.

E. , Sr.

>

> I don't know if I am just extremely lucky or what - but I haven't

> experienced anything like this (or anything like what I have read in

past

> posts from others)! My son (4 - will be 5 at the end of this month)

is also

> PDD NOS started SNPK at Blackwell Elem. in Cobb Co. as soon as he could

> after his 3rd b-day.

>

>

>

> He is doing very well cognitively. Behavior wise is a different

Oprah - but

> this is not something that they can control.

>

>

>

> I have had NONE of the struggles that you or others mention. For

example.

> last school year I asked for more OT (he was getting 30 min. per

week at the

> time) and BOOM it was done! Now he gets 1 hr. per week.

>

>

>

> He also gets 1 hr. per week of ST. If I wanted more all I would

need to do

> is ask, but I feel as if this is sufficient.

>

>

>

> And.. his teachers are FABULOUS!!!!!! I have grown so very close to

them

> that I actually HATE the thought of leaving them next year (if in

fact he

> will be ready for Kindergarten).

>

>

>

> Soooooooo.. I hate to not be able to sympathize with you but I really

> can't. Cobb County has completely exceeded my expectations in every

sense

> of the word " exceed " .

>

>

>

> Best of luck to you and all of those out there that continue to struggle

> with the school systems. Maybe my day will come but so far so good.

>

>

>

> Krista Brown

>

>

>

> _____

>

> From: autism-georgia

[mailto:autism-georgia ]

> On Behalf Of wehaveautism

> Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:15 PM

> To: autism-georgia

> Subject: Falling through the cracks

>

>

>

>

> no space for that.....give him one on one time during his time he can

>

> as well.

>

> When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait about a month or so

>

> advocate and I am concern about not only my child's education but the

>

>

>

>

> Hall

> Tifton GA.

>

they have to make sure you do not qualify for any other programs like medicaid or SSI/medicaid so they still need financial information.

Melinda -Pace

Muscogee County Navigator Team

Parent of 3 wonderful kids, two with awe-tism!

Wife of an amazing husband!> that was one of the most angering things for me to> deal with as a mom > to 2 kids on the spectrum. when i went to iep's> alone, i got > trampled...when i took hubby or any other male body> (even if they did > nothing but just sit there and never say a word),> the meetings were > overwhelmingly successful. i advise all moms to> take a male person > to ieps for this reason. it stinks but it makes a> difference. > > as for falling thru the cracks, my 18yo aspie fell> thru many cracks > along the way. its very frustrating to

know your> kid needs help but > to be told no, due to lack of funding. > > > > >> > What I have found out here at least is when my> wife handled she > didn't get anywhere's. But when I handle (maybe in> the wrong way) it > seems to have a better outcome. > > > > Thank you > > > > Ogiba > > > > jamieogiba@. .. > > > > Wed, Dec 3, 2008> > > > 4783570047> > > > 4:29:53 AM> > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry> > > > Falling through the> cracks> > > > > > > > I have came in contact with many families that> argue that their> > children are falling through the cracks due to> being High> > Functioning. Let me share my story and please know> that my story is> > MOST common with others that have children.> > > > My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for> Pre-school> > intervention. I did manage to get him into Head> Start and thought we> > were on the right path. Every day that I dropped> my son off I got a> > phone call to come and get him that the teachers> do not know how to> > deal with him. I made suggestions such as move him> to another room,> > no space for that.....give him one on one time> during his time he >

can> > not focus, not enough staff for that. I took my> son out of that> > program thanking I can find another program to> serve him. When I was> > in the office of a local day care/pre-school, I> had my son with me> > and he was trying to see every part of the room at> one time. He did> > not have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact> it was a new> > area. I was informed at that time that they can> not serve him and> > give him the one to one he needs.> > > > He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job)> and not receiving> > services. I have a saying----a child only educated> at school is an> > uneducated child-----I also know that he needs to> learn from others> > as well.> > > > When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait>

about a month or > so> > to be referred to special programs, than he will> have to go through> > the TEAR steps which can take half the school> year. So this is every> > day that my child will be behind.> > > > Services are needed and they are needed now. I am> a mom and an> > advocate and I am concern about not only my> child's education but > the> > education of my community and the future of our> children.> > > > We really need a program that can serve High> Functioning children.> > > > *FYI-my son has the diagnoses of PDD,> === message truncated ===

I live in Georgia……….

Krista Brown

autism-georgia [mailto:autism-georgia ] On Behalf Of E. , Sr.

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008

5:29 PM

To: autism-georgia

Subject: Re:

Falling through the cracks

Re: Angelique's statement:

<Unfortunately since my son has an autism diagnosis, others

automatically think he is not capable of learning.>

I think this stereotypical way of thinking about our children is about

to fall through the cracks itself !! Many now realize that even our

non verbal children may be smarter then their teachers !!!

In Regards to Krista's in the ever so beat up in due process Blackwell

Elementary:

I'm very happy to hear that at least a small part of Colorado has

decided to change it's ways from earlier in this decade. From

2002-2004 I did so many Due Process cases in that state I would need

everyone's fingers and toes that responded to the original post just

to count them and Blackwell was nailed and settled a LOT of cases.

Parents that are willing to step out into their belief and go up

against school districts make it alot easier for the next ones to do

so.. and eventually as in many states we end up with a Post like yours

Krista. In your case I would consider yourself extremely fortunate -

luck has nothing to do with it - now you know !!

If we weren't super glued quiet with gag orders I would tell you a

little more about the past in that County.. but it has changed from

your report which makes it unnecessary anyway. I am seeing alot of

changes within the state and am pleased to see the availability of

programs. Like the old saying goes " Don't count your chickens before

they hatch " ...well it still applies. It's great to hear some

positive feedback regarding a state that was at one time one of the

hardest to get FAPE in. I know of multiple parents that have moved

away from there due to this - one just moved to California ..this was

only about a month ago I got that emailed complaint.

I've seen them move to N.M., CA., NY., and Hawai'i. So as I stated,

you are extremely fortunate.

E. , Sr.

>

> I don't know if I am just extremely lucky or what - but I haven't

> experienced anything like this (or anything like what I have read in

past

> posts from others)! My son (4 - will be 5 at the end of this month)

is also

> PDD NOS started SNPK at Blackwell Elem. in Cobb Co. as soon as he could

> after his 3rd b-day.

>

>

>

> He is doing very well cognitively. Behavior wise is a different

Oprah - but

> this is not something that they can control.

>

>

>

> I have had NONE of the struggles that you or others mention. For

example.

> last school year I asked for more OT (he was getting 30 min. per

week at the

> time) and BOOM it was done! Now he gets 1 hr. per week.

>

>

>

> He also gets 1 hr. per week of ST. If I wanted more all I would

need to do

> is ask, but I feel as if this is sufficient.

>

>

>

> And.. his teachers are FABULOUS!!!!!! I have grown so very close to

them

> that I actually HATE the thought of leaving them next year (if in

fact he

> will be ready for Kindergarten).

>

>

>

> Soooooooo.. I hate to not be able to sympathize with you but I really

> can't. Cobb County has completely exceeded my

expectations in every

sense

> of the word " exceed " .

>

>

>

> Best of luck to you and all of those out there that continue to struggle

> with the school systems. Maybe my day will come but so far so good.

>

>

>

> Krista Brown

>

>

>

> _____

>

> From: autism-georgia

[mailto:autism-georgia ]

> On Behalf Of wehaveautism

> Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:15 PM

> To: autism-georgia

> Subject: Falling through the cracks

>

>

>

>

> no space for that.....give him one on one time during his time he can

>

> as well.

>

> When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait about a month or so

>

> advocate and I am concern about not only my child's education but the

>

>

>

>

> Hall

> Tifton GA.

>

I wouldn't just classify that as a southern thing. When we lived in

Northern VA (D.C. Suburbs) I expereinced this every time I attended a

meeting alone. When my husband showed up and we asked for the exact

same things there was never a problem. They would back down from my

husband almost every time. Since being in GA I have not experienced

this. I attended our last IEP meeting alone and it went great.

Wendie

> > >

> > > What I have found out here at least is when my

> > wife handled she

> > didn't get anywhere's. But when I handle (maybe in

> > the wrong way) it

> > seems to have a better outcome.

> > >

> > > Thank you

> > >

> > > Ogiba

> > >

> > > jamieogiba@

> > >

> > > Wed, Dec 3, 2008

> > >

> > > 4783570047

> > >

> > > 4:29:53 AM

> > >

> > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

> > >

> > > Falling through the

> > cracks

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > I have came in contact with many families that

> > argue that their

> > > children are falling through the cracks due to

> > being High

> > > Functioning. Let me share my story and please know

> > that my story is

> > > MOST common with others that have children.

> > >

> > > My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for

> > Pre-school

> > > intervention. I did manage to get him into Head

> > Start and thought we

> > > were on the right path. Every day that I dropped

> > my son off I got a

> > > phone call to come and get him that the teachers

> > do not know how to

> > > deal with him. I made suggestions such as move him

> > to another room,

> > > no space for that.....give him one on one time

> > during his time he

> > can

> > > not focus, not enough staff for that. I took my

> > son out of that

> > > program thanking I can find another program to

> > serve him. When I was

> > > in the office of a local day care/pre-school, I

> > had my son with me

> > > and he was trying to see every part of the room at

> > one time. He did

> > > not have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact

> > it was a new

> > > area. I was informed at that time that they can

> > not serve him and

> > > give him the one to one he needs.

> > >

> > > He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job)

> > and not receiving

> > > services. I have a saying----a child only educated

> > at school is an

> > > uneducated child-----I also know that he needs to

> > learn from others

> > > as well.

> > >

> > > When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait

> > about a month or

> > so

> > > to be referred to special programs, than he will

> > have to go through

> > > the TEAR steps which can take half the school

> > year. So this is every

> > > day that my child will be behind.

> > >

> > > Services are needed and they are needed now. I am

> > a mom and an

> > > advocate and I am concern about not only my

> > child's education but

> > the

> > > education of my community and the future of our

> > children.

> > >

> > > We really need a program that can serve High

> > Functioning children.

> > >

> > > *FYI-my son has the diagnoses of PDD,

> >

> === message truncated ===

>

Ok we were denied for both ssi and medicaid we have both letters. This is all new to us. Thank you Ogiba jamieogiba@... Wed, Dec 3, 200847835700478:55:44 PM Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: Mindy -Pace Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:47:55 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re: Re: Falling through the cracks they have to make sure you do not qualify for any other programs like medicaid or SSI/medicaid so they still need financial information.Melinda -PaceMuscogee County Navigator TeamParent of 3 wonderful kids, two with awe-tism!Wife of an amazing husband!> that was one of the most angering things for me to> deal with as a mom > to 2 kids on the spectrum. when i went to iep's> alone, i got > trampled...when i took hubby or any other male body> (even if they did > nothing but just sit there and never say a word),> the meetings were > overwhelmingly successful. i advise all moms to> take a male person > to ieps for this reason. it stinks but it makes a> difference. > > as for falling thru the cracks, my 18yo aspie fell> thru many cracks > along the way. its very frustrating to know your> kid needs help but > to be told no, due to lack of funding. > > > > >> > What I have found out here at least is when my> wife handled she > didn't get anywhere's. But when I handle (maybe in> the wrong way) it > seems to have a better outcome. > > > > Thank you > > > > Ogiba > > > > jamieogiba@. .. > > > > Wed, Dec 3, 2008> > > > 4783570047> > > > 4:29:53 AM> > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry> > > > Falling through the> cracks> > > > > > > > I have came in contact with many families that> argue that their> > children are falling through the cracks due to> being High> > Functioning. Let me share my story and please know> that my story is> > MOST common with others that have children.> > > > My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for> Pre-school> > intervention. I did manage to get him into Head> Start and thought we> > were on the right path. Every day that I dropped> my son off I got a> > phone call to come and get him that the teachers> do not know how to> > deal with him. I made suggestions such as move him> to another room,> > no space for that.....give him one on one time> during his time he > can> > not focus, not enough staff for that. I took my> son out of that> > program thanking I can find another program to> serve him. When I was> > in the office of a local day care/pre-school, I> had my son with me> > and he was trying to see every part of the room at> one time. He did> > not have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact> it was a new> > area. I was informed at that time that they can> not serve him and> > give him the one to one he needs.> > > > He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job)> and not receiving> > services. I have a saying----a child only educated> at school is an> > uneducated child-----I also know that he needs to> learn from others> > as well.> > > > When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait> about a month or > so> > to be referred to special programs, than he will> have to go through> > the TEAR steps which can take half the school> year. So this is every> > day that my child will be behind.> > > > Services are needed and they are needed now. I am> a mom and an> > advocate and I am concern about not only my> child's education but > the> > education of my community and the future of our> children.> > > > We really need a program that can serve High> Functioning children.> > > > *FYI-my son has the diagnoses of PDD,> === message truncated ===

It shouldn't be nessory either place. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "cigarboxgrl" Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 01:14:01 -0000To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re: Falling through the cracks I wouldn't just classify that as a southern thing. When we lived in Northern VA (D.C. Suburbs) I expereinced this every time I attended a meeting alone. When my husband showed up and we asked for the exact same things there was never a problem. They would back down from my husband almost every time. Since being in GA I have not experienced this. I attended our last IEP meeting alone and it went great. Wendie > > > > > > What I have found out here at least is when my > > wife handled she > > didn't get anywhere's. But when I handle (maybe in > > the wrong way) it > > seems to have a better outcome. > > > > > > Thank you > > > > > > Ogiba > > > > > > jamieogiba@ > > > > > > Wed, Dec 3, 2008 > > > > > > 4783570047 > > > > > > 4:29:53 AM > > > > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry > > > > > > Falling through the > > cracks > > > > > > > > > > > > I have came in contact with many families that > > argue that their > > > children are falling through the cracks due to > > being High > > > Functioning. Let me share my story and please know > > that my story is > > > MOST common with others that have children. > > > > > > My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for > > Pre-school > > > intervention. I did manage to get him into Head > > Start and thought we > > > were on the right path. Every day that I dropped > > my son off I got a > > > phone call to come and get him that the teachers > > do not know how to > > > deal with him. I made suggestions such as move him > > to another room, > > > no space for that.....give him one on one time > > during his time he > > can > > > not focus, not enough staff for that. I took my > > son out of that > > > program thanking I can find another program to > > serve him. When I was > > > in the office of a local day care/pre-school, I > > had my son with me > > > and he was trying to see every part of the room at > > one time. He did > > > not have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact > > it was a new > > > area. I was informed at that time that they can > > not serve him and > > > give him the one to one he needs. > > > > > > He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job) > > and not receiving > > > services. I have a saying----a child only educated > > at school is an > > > uneducated child-----I also know that he needs to > > learn from others > > > as well. > > > > > > When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait > > about a month or > > so > > > to be referred to special programs, than he will > > have to go through > > > the TEAR steps which can take half the school > > year. So this is every > > > day that my child will be behind. > > > > > > Services are needed and they are needed now. I am > > a mom and an > > > advocate and I am concern about not only my > > child's education but > > the > > > education of my community and the future of our > > children. > > > > > > We really need a program that can serve High > > Functioning children. > > > > > > *FYI-my son has the diagnoses of PDD, > > > === message truncated === >

You are so right, but unfortunately it does happen. In our case it

was a group of women who were trying to bully me in our IEP meetings

in VA. I'm just thankful I haven't had to deal with that kind of

attitude since moving to GA.

(To the original poster) I too have a very high functioning child. I

knew from very early on (6 months) that she needed help. However,

she was 18 months old before we finally got services for her. If I

had let the powers that be have their way in VA she would have lost

all of her services when she was 4 years old. We had to hire an

advocate to help us fight the system and prove she was still eligible

for services. My advise is don't give up and get very thorough

private evals to back up your requests. Don't let them make

decisions based only on the tests they do. In my opinion when you

have a high function child you need very detailed evals and if your

child is progressing fairly quickly you need those evals every couple

of years. My daughter is doing really well and it's time for her 3

year re-eval. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will go as

well as our past IEP's and other meetings we've had so far since

being in GA.

I would also do as much as you can privately to help your child.

Along with the services from school we did private speech and

occupational therapy. Floortime, Tomatis and biomedical

interventions also did wonders for my daughter. There are a lot of

great therapies and interventions out there. Research them all and

do what you feel like will help your child the most and of course

what you can afford. Hopefully your insurance or waivers can help

cover some of the costs. I know it's tiring and sometimes you feel

like you're spinning your wheels, but don't give up. Good luck to

you.

Wendie

> > > >

> > > > What I have found out here at least is when my

> > > wife handled she

> > > didn't get anywhere's. But when I handle (maybe in

> > > the wrong way) it

> > > seems to have a better outcome.

> > > >

> > > > Thank you

> > > >

> > > > Ogiba

> > > >

> > > > jamieogiba@

> > > >

> > > > Wed, Dec 3, 2008

> > > >

> > > > 4783570047

> > > >

> > > > 4:29:53 AM

> > > >

> > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

> > > >

> > > > Falling through the

> > > cracks

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I have came in contact with many families that

> > > argue that their

> > > > children are falling through the cracks due to

> > > being High

> > > > Functioning. Let me share my story and please know

> > > that my story is

> > > > MOST common with others that have children.

> > > >

> > > > My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for

> > > Pre-school

> > > > intervention. I did manage to get him into Head

> > > Start and thought we

> > > > were on the right path. Every day that I dropped

> > > my son off I got a

> > > > phone call to come and get him that the teachers

> > > do not know how to

> > > > deal with him. I made suggestions such as move him

> > > to another room,

> > > > no space for that.....give him one on one time

> > > during his time he

> > > can

> > > > not focus, not enough staff for that. I took my

> > > son out of that

> > > > program thanking I can find another program to

> > > serve him. When I was

> > > > in the office of a local day care/pre-school, I

> > > had my son with me

> > > > and he was trying to see every part of the room at

> > > one time. He did

> > > > not have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact

> > > it was a new

> > > > area. I was informed at that time that they can

> > > not serve him and

> > > > give him the one to one he needs.

> > > >

> > > > He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job)

> > > and not receiving

> > > > services. I have a saying----a child only educated

> > > at school is an

> > > > uneducated child-----I also know that he needs to

> > > learn from others

> > > > as well.

> > > >

> > > > When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait

> > > about a month or

> > > so

> > > > to be referred to special programs, than he will

> > > have to go through

> > > > the TEAR steps which can take half the school

> > > year. So this is every

> > > > day that my child will be behind.

> > > >

> > > > Services are needed and they are needed now. I am

> > > a mom and an

> > > > advocate and I am concern about not only my

> > > child's education but

> > > the

> > > > education of my community and the future of our

> > > children.

> > > >

> > > > We really need a program that can serve High

> > > Functioning children.

> > > >

> > > > *FYI-my son has the diagnoses of PDD,

> > >

> > === message truncated ===

> >

>

Schools let kids " fall through the cracks " no matter the functioning

level.

> > > > >

> > > > > What I have found out here at least is when my

> > > > wife handled she

> > > > didn't get anywhere's. But when I handle (maybe in

> > > > the wrong way) it

> > > > seems to have a better outcome.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thank you

> > > > >

> > > > > Ogiba

> > > > >

> > > > > jamieogiba@

> > > > >

> > > > > Wed, Dec 3, 2008

> > > > >

> > > > > 4783570047

> > > > >

> > > > > 4:29:53 AM

> > > > >

> > > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

> > > > >

> > > > > Falling through the

> > > > cracks

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I have came in contact with many families that

> > > > argue that their

> > > > > children are falling through the cracks due to

> > > > being High

> > > > > Functioning. Let me share my story and please know

> > > > that my story is

> > > > > MOST common with others that have children.

> > > > >

> > > > > My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for

> > > > Pre-school

> > > > > intervention. I did manage to get him into Head

> > > > Start and thought we

> > > > > were on the right path. Every day that I dropped

> > > > my son off I got a

> > > > > phone call to come and get him that the teachers

> > > > do not know how to

> > > > > deal with him. I made suggestions such as move him

> > > > to another room,

> > > > > no space for that.....give him one on one time

> > > > during his time he

> > > > can

> > > > > not focus, not enough staff for that. I took my

> > > > son out of that

> > > > > program thanking I can find another program to

> > > > serve him. When I was

> > > > > in the office of a local day care/pre-school, I

> > > > had my son with me

> > > > > and he was trying to see every part of the room at

> > > > one time. He did

> > > > > not have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact

> > > > it was a new

> > > > > area. I was informed at that time that they can

> > > > not serve him and

> > > > > give him the one to one he needs.

> > > > >

> > > > > He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job)

> > > > and not receiving

> > > > > services. I have a saying----a child only educated

> > > > at school is an

> > > > > uneducated child-----I also know that he needs to

> > > > learn from others

> > > > > as well.

> > > > >

> > > > > When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait

> > > > about a month or

> > > > so

> > > > > to be referred to special programs, than he will

> > > > have to go through

> > > > > the TEAR steps which can take half the school

> > > > year. So this is every

> > > > > day that my child will be behind.

> > > > >

> > > > > Services are needed and they are needed now. I am

> > > > a mom and an

> > > > > advocate and I am concern about not only my

> > > > child's education but

> > > > the

> > > > > education of my community and the future of our

> > > > children.

> > > > >

> > > > > We really need a program that can serve High

> > > > Functioning children.

> > > > >