RemedySpot.com

Re: School choices

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I really think this is something that is different in every town. A lot of people seem to have had bad luck with the public school system but we had nothing but success and awesome teachers at my son's school. They were willing to try anything we suggested and some teachers even took time out of their summer to go to seminars on autism. I can't say enough about what they did to make school a positive place for my son.

That being said, I know other public schools right here in our town that wouldn't have done nearly as much (if anything) so I guess it's tough to know beforehand, just how your son will be treated. Maybe you could talk to the school, find out how they feel about teaching AS kids, or if you know anyone in your community with kids at that school, they may be able to tell you about it, even if they don't have an AS kid, they may know about other AS kids and how they are doing.

Good luck!

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- School choices

My husband and I are banging our heads against a wall trying to figure out what would be best for our asp son who will be turning 4 in March. We are looking for some advice as to what everyone thinks about school choices. Do we do public school and risk bullying, etc. Do we do private schools and risk being broke? Do we find an autistic school and risk him not getting the academic learning that he craves and needs? Or home schooling????? We just don't know. We are in a position to move to find him a great school. We are looking for somewhere in Georgia or the Florida area but would consider somewhere else. We are currently living in Illinois. Any advise from anyone would be great!Thanks,

Research, Research, Research, You may just happen upon a great situation, but you may have to find it. It can be a frustrating and anxiety causing venture (totally is for me) but it's worth finding a great fit for your family.

I really think this is something that is different in every town. A lot of people seem to have had bad luck with the public school system but we had nothing but success and awesome teachers at my son's school. They were willing to try anything we suggested and some teachers even took time out of their summer to go to seminars on autism.  I can't say enough about what they did to make school a positive place for my son.

That being said, I know other public schools right here in our town that wouldn't have done nearly as much (if anything) so I guess it's tough to know beforehand, just how your son will be treated. Maybe you could talk to the school, find out how they feel about teaching AS kids, or if you know anyone in your community with kids at that school, they may be able to tell you about it, even if they don't have an AS kid, they may know about other AS kids and how they are doing.

Good luck!

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- School choices

My husband and I are banging our heads against a wall trying to figure out what would be best for our asp son who will be turning 4 in March. We are looking for some advice as to what everyone thinks about school choices. Do we do public school and risk bullying, etc. Do we do private schools and risk being broke? Do we find an autistic school and risk him not getting the academic learning that he craves and needs? Or home schooling????? We just don't know. We are in a position to move to find him a great school. We are looking for somewhere in Georgia or the Florida area but would consider somewhere else. We are currently living in Illinois. Any advise from anyone would be great!

Thanks,

We live in Iowa currently and the school system we are in is GREAT! No special school. They have merged the schools in this area so the special needs kids are with normal kids. There are experts there as needed of course. We havent had a teacher yet that we didnt just love! They handle him really well like they have been dealing this this kind of child all there lives. He also has social lessons multiple times per week as he is also has asp. He is now 8 and he is at the top of his class academically and we have NEVER had to deal with bullying as of right now. I was in your place though debating what to do and decided to give public a try and see how it went. It went great!

Charity-- When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the worldLife is not measured by the number of breaths we take-but by the moments that take our breath away.

No man or woman is worth your tears, and the one who is, won't make you cry.

My vote is for homeschooling. We did private, we did public. You know the

saying.....if you want it done right.....

--- Original Message ---

Sent: December 28, 2011 12/28/11

To: autism-aspergers

Subject: Re: School choices

I really think this is something that is different in every town. A lot of

people seem to have had bad luck with the public school system but we had

nothing but success and awesome teachers at my son's school. They were willing

to try anything we suggested and some teachers even took time out of their

summer to go to seminars on autism.  I can't say enough about what they did to

make school a positive place for my son.

That being said, I know other public schools right here in our town that

wouldn't have done nearly as much (if anything) so I guess it's tough to know

beforehand, just how your son will be treated. Maybe you could talk to the

school, find out how they feel about teaching AS kids, or if you know anyone in

your community with kids at that school, they may be able to tell you about it,

even if they don't have an AS kid, they may know about other AS kids and how

they are doing.

Good luck!

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- School choices

My husband and I are banging our heads against a wall trying to figure out what

would be best for our asp son who will be turning 4 in March. We are looking for

some advice as to what everyone thinks about school choices. Do we do public

school and risk bullying, etc. Do we do private schools and risk being broke? Do

we find an autistic school and risk him not getting the academic learning that

he craves and needs? Or home schooling????? We just don't know. We are in a

position to move to find him a great school. We are looking for somewhere in

Georgia or the Florida area but would consider somewhere else. We are currently

living in Illinois. Any advise from anyone would be great!

Thanks,

I agree with Charity. Our son, nine year old ASD, is in public school in Minnesota and is mainstreamed and recently was asked to join the gifted program. The importance is the teacher, the special education team, and your comfort level as his advocate. You are a mom, your gut will tell you what to do, trust it. Good luck and keep us informed!Carly OgataSammy (age 9, ASD, Depression, ADHD, 4th Grade, White Bear Lake, MN) From: Charity Cecak

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:33 PM Subject: Re: School choices

We live in Iowa currently and the school system we are in is GREAT! No special school. They have merged the schools in this area so the special needs kids are with normal kids. There are experts there as needed of course. We havent had a teacher yet that we didnt just love! They handle him really well like they have been dealing this this kind of child all there lives. He also has social lessons multiple times per week as he is also has asp. He is now 8 and he is at the top of his class academically and we have NEVER had to deal with bullying as of right now. I was in your place though debating what to do and decided to give public a try and see how it went. It went great!

Charity-- When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the worldLife is not measured by the number of breaths we take-but by the moments that take our breath away.

The article did scare me. It happened in kentucky but, I live in Ohio. The thing is that I have heard other bad public school stories in Ohio. My gut says to find an alternate school. I don't believe that he will be ready for puplic school next year. His preschool says I could hold him back. They also say they are working on trying to do grade school classes maybe, next year. I feel basically any option is better that public school at this time.

To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:34 PMSubject: Re: Re: School choices

I agree with Charity. Our son, nine year old ASD, is in public school in Minnesota and is mainstreamed and recently was asked to join the gifted program. The importance is the teacher, the special education team, and your comfort level as his advocate. You are a mom, your gut will tell you what to do, trust it. Good luck and keep us informed!

Carly Ogata

Sammy (age 9, ASD, Depression, ADHD, 4th Grade, White Bear Lake, MN)

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:33 PMSubject: Re: School choices

We live in Iowa currently and the school system we are in is GREAT! No special school. They have merged the schools in this area so the special needs kids are with normal kids. There are experts there as needed of course. We havent had a teacher yet that we didnt just love! They handle him really well like they have been dealing this this kind of child all there lives. He also has social lessons multiple times per week as he is also has asp. He is now 8 and he is at the top of his class academically and we have NEVER had to deal with bullying as of right now. I was in your place though debating what to do and decided to give public a try and see how it went. It went great!Charity-- When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the worldLife is not measured by the number of breaths we take-but by the

moments that take our breath away.No man or woman is worth your tears, and the one who is, won't make you cry.

>

> My husband and I are banging our heads against a wall trying to figure

out what would be best for our asp son who will be turning 4 in March.

We are looking for some advice as to what everyone thinks about school

choices. Do we do public school and risk bullying, etc. Do we do private

schools and risk being broke? Do we find an autistic school and risk him

not getting the academic learning that he craves and needs? Or home

schooling????? We just don't know. We are in a position to move to find

him a great school. We are looking for somewhere in Georgia or the

Florida area but would consider somewhere else. We are currently living

in Illinois. Any advise from anyone would be great!

>

> Thanks,

>

>

My son is 13 and has struggled his entire life with public school. The

teachers don't seem to really understand him at all. I tried home

schooling last year and it was a real struggle. It would have worked if

I did not have to work, but either way it would have been exhausting. We

would do math until bedtime just to meet the requirements for the online

school. My son was discharged today from the hospital and will start

day treatment for the first half of the day and go to school for the

second portion. I will be having another IEP sometime in January because

the other one had to be suspended because my son's advocate said that

there was not enough of the right people present. The nurse wasn't

invited, and anyone who could have made placement decisions was not

their. I think moving out of Illinois would give him the best chance

since there has been so many budget cuts. I live in Wisconsin and the

schools are closing some down and the class sizes are much to large for

a child with aspergers. Some of the other ladies sound like they live in

a great location for educating children with disabilities,I may need to

move as well. Good luch with everything and hopefully he will not have

to struggle too much at school. My son may have done okay with the home

schooling if I would have started at an earlier age, but because he had

already attended public school he wanted to be with his friends.

Our class sizes are still decent. My son has 18 or 19 in his class I believe. He is not the only special needs kid at the school either. There are some there that are far worse than him physically and mentally. I think that curbs alot of bullying since here is more than just one special needs there. Iowa is a great place and one of the best educations systems in the USA from what I have been told.

-- When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the worldLife is not measured by the number of breaths we take-but by the moments that take our breath away.

My daughter has been in public school for 10 years now. Has it always been

easy...no but even NT kids can have problems with other kids. I can say that the

schools here have been fantastic. Their anti-bullying programs work very well.

She is now in high school. I was so scare to put her in a public high school.

Elementary was fine, junior high made me nervous but high school terrified me.

We are not at the end of the first semester and she is doing great. She is (and

always has been) in mainstream classes. Well actually in 2-5 grade she was in a

center based class for highly gifted kids. These kids were all a little quirky

but it was not a special needs class by any means. Anyway, the teachers watch

over her and she knows to tell me if there is a problem. I am in constant email

contact with her teachers so I know if there is a problem immediately. For

example, she came home from school and I asked her what happened in English

today? Her jaw hit the ground. She was not compliant and the teacher had emailed

me so I knew about it before she was home from school.

I think public schools are fine if you are involved and communicate with the

school. I've heard horror stories about private and charter schools too so I

think it is just the school, not the type of school.

My suggestion is research the schools. Talk to parents, teachers and others in

your community. You will hear what you need to make a decision.

>

> My husband and I are banging our heads against a wall trying to figure out

what would be best for our asp son who will be turning 4 in March. We are

looking for some advice as to what everyone thinks about school choices. Do we

do public school and risk bullying, etc. Do we do private schools and risk being

broke? Do we find an autistic school and risk him not getting the academic

learning that he craves and needs? Or home schooling????? We just don't know. We

are in a position to move to find him a great school. We are looking for

somewhere in Georgia or the Florida area but would consider somewhere else. We

are currently living in Illinois. Any advise from anyone would be great!

>

> Thanks,

>

>

I just wrote an article real close to what yours is about, except mine is about grade school. Just now that you are not alone on banging your head against the wall.

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:51 PMSubject: Re: School choices

>> My husband and I are banging our heads against a wall trying to figureout what would be best for our asp son who will be turning 4 in March.We are looking for some advice as to what everyone thinks about schoolchoices. Do we do public school and risk bullying, etc. Do we do privateschools and risk being broke? Do we find an autistic school and risk himnot getting the academic learning that he craves and needs? Or homeschooling????? We just don't know. We are in a position to move to findhim a great school. We are looking for somewhere in Georgia or theFlorida area but would consider somewhere else. We are currently livingin Illinois. Any advise from anyone would be

great!>> Thanks,> >My son is 13 and has struggled his entire life with public school. Theteachers don't seem to really understand him at all. I tried homeschooling last year and it was a real struggle. It would have worked ifI did not have to work, but either way it would have been exhausting. Wewould do math until bedtime just to meet the requirements for the onlineschool. My son was discharged today from the hospital and will startday treatment for the first half of the day and go to school for thesecond portion. I will be having another IEP sometime in January becausethe other one had to be suspended because my son's advocate said thatthere was not enough of the right people present. The nurse wasn'tinvited, and anyone who could have made placement decisions was nottheir. I think moving out of Illinois would give him the best chancesince there has been so many

budget cuts. I live in Wisconsin and theschools are closing some down and the class sizes are much to large fora child with aspergers. Some of the other ladies sound like they live ina great location for educating children with disabilities,I may need tomove as well. Good luch with everything and hopefully he will not haveto struggle too much at school. My son may have done okay with the homeschooling if I would have started at an earlier age, but because he hadalready attended public school he wanted to be with his friends.

,My son is 11 and still in elementary school.  I have not found bullying to be an issue, though I have been told that it does happen in the middle and high schools.  I think when kids are very young they tend to be more accepting than the older kids, and they are less motivated by peer pressure.  I did have him in a charter school for autistic kids through first grade, but I found that they did not focus on academics and he was picking up other children's bad behaviors.  I have mainstreamed him since 2nd grade and it has been the best for him socially and academically.

Debra

My husband and I are banging our heads against a wall trying to figure out what would be best for our asp son who will be turning 4 in March. We are looking for some advice as to what everyone thinks about school choices. Do we do public school and risk bullying, etc. Do we do private schools and risk being broke? Do we find an autistic school and risk him not getting the academic learning that he craves and needs? Or home schooling????? We just don't know. We are in a position to move to find him a great school. We are looking for somewhere in Georgia or the Florida area but would consider somewhere else. We are currently living in Illinois. Any advise from anyone would be great!

Thanks,

I work at a public high school in the special ed dept...on the whole there is no bullying towards sped kids..the Gen ed kids are accepting or " just don't care" because they have their own lives. We have several clubs who are buddies and mentors to different sped groups ...so in all I am impressed daily with the Gen ed kids being cool and / or kind with our speds . I also have a son with needs..so I see both sides.

Debra Donatto ;

To:

<autism-aspergers >;

Subject:

Re: School choices

Sent:

Sat, Dec 31, 2011 5:02:33 PM

,My son is 11 and still in elementary school.  I have not found bullying to be an issue, though I have been told that it does happen in the middle and high schools.  I think when kids are very young they tend to be more accepting than the older kids, and they are less motivated by peer pressure.  I did have him in a charter school for autistic kids through first grade, but I found that they did not focus on academics and he was picking up other children's bad behaviors.  I have mainstreamed him since 2nd grade and it has been the best for him socially and academically.

Debra

Thanks,

Your lucky I guess because alot of schoold do have bullying.

To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers >; "debra.donatto@..." Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:26 PMSubject: Re: School choices

I work at a public high school in the special ed dept...on the whole there is no bullying towards sped kids..the Gen ed kids are accepting or " just don't care" because they have their own lives. We have several clubs who are buddies and mentors to different sped groups ...so in all I am impressed daily with the Gen ed kids being cool and / or kind with our speds . I also have a son with needs..so I see both sides.

; To: <autism-aspergers >; Subject: Re: School choices Sent: Sat, Dec 31, 2011 5:02:33 PM

My son is 11 and still in elementary school. I have not found bullying to be an issue, though I have been told that it does happen in the middle and high schools. I think when kids are very young they tend to be more accepting than the older kids, and they are less motivated by peer pressure. I did have him in a charter school for autistic kids through first grade, but I found that they did not focus on academics and he was picking up other children's bad behaviors. I have mainstreamed him since 2nd grade and it has been the best for him socially and academically.

Debra

My husband and I are banging our heads against a wall trying to figure out what would be best for our asp son who will be turning 4 in March. We are looking for some advice as to what everyone thinks about school choices. Do we do public school and risk bullying, etc. Do we do private schools and risk being broke? Do we find an autistic school and risk him not getting the academic learning that he craves and needs? Or home schooling????? We just don't know. We are in a position to move to find him a great school. We are looking for somewhere in Georgia or the Florida area but would consider somewhere else. We are currently living in Illinois. Any advise from anyone would be great!Thanks,

So far so good. I hope your child does well in Middle school and High school.

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2011 12:02 PMSubject: Re: School choices

My son is 11 and still in elementary school. I have not found bullying to be an issue, though I have been told that it does happen in the middle and high schools. I think when kids are very young they tend to be more accepting than the older kids, and they are less motivated by peer pressure. I did have him in a charter school for autistic kids through first grade, but I found that they did not focus on academics and he was picking up other children's bad behaviors. I have mainstreamed him since 2nd grade and it has been the best for him socially and academically.

Debra

Even with anti-bulling programs in place, kids are kids!!! It's going to happen. Teachers often don't see it happening and kids ARE manipulative!! Do we not remember what middle school and high school was like for us? It's only worse now because they have now cyber bullying, and other forms, not just verbal/ physical. I shudder to think about going through high school in a modern world public school. Yikes!! We homeschool!! It's hard enough out there for a typical child. And not all Austic children are segregated in the sped program. A good majority are among the typicals.... To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:30 PM Subject: Re: School choices

Your lucky I guess because alot of schoold do have bullying.

To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers >; "debra.donatto@..." Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:26 PMSubject: Re: School choices

; To: <autism-aspergers >; Subject: Re: School choices Sent: Sat, Dec 31, 2011 5:02:33 PM

Debra

thank you Genie for keeping an open mind to my post.. i guess i am blessed because my high school that i work at is not as describes. There is "the bad" in any situation.. my school and school district work very hard for SPEDs, AU, Special needs and Life Skills.

I don't need a response and I sure don't need a bigger font to make my point. I am truly at a school that is public and does care.

No response needed.

Hello,

I am taking care of a beautiful 15 year old boy with Autism. We had gone

through to public school systems in GA/ I can tell you this, Most of the

teachers are good and it would depend on the county. In our case it was not

working he would break down in the halls. It was the sheer number of people in

the school. Main streaming is not for all the kids. However depending on where

your child is on the autism spectrum it could work for you. We found a great

private school and spent 3 years there. With in the first couple of months no

more potty issues and he slowly came out. We have since gone to home school and

I have joined a group of parents that meet once a week for activities and field

trips with the kids. That really has brought him out and things look even

better. He will never be able to be on his own but our goal is to help him be as

self sufficient as possible, we get closer to the goal every day. Just consider

how severe your child is affected, look at the size of the class and go from

there. There are so many options look into all of them.

Hope I could help a little.

>

> My husband and I are banging our heads against a wall trying to figure out

what would be best for our asp son who will be turning 4 in March. We are

looking for some advice as to what everyone thinks about school choices. Do we

do public school and risk bullying, etc. Do we do private schools and risk being

broke? Do we find an autistic school and risk him not getting the academic

learning that he craves and needs? Or home schooling????? We just don't know. We

are in a position to move to find him a great school. We are looking for

somewhere in Georgia or the Florida area but would consider somewhere else. We

are currently living in Illinois. Any advise from anyone would be great!

>

> Thanks,

>

>