RemedySpot.com

Re: Strange Eating

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Could be pica, which people with anemia sometimes have, where they crave and ingest non-food items...tt

Does anyone's child try to eat cardboard or paper? My son has started this habit. I am taking something away from him everyday now. I don't even know why he does it. He is regular sized(eats well)so, I don't believe he is hungry. He usually shows me or signs to me when he wants food. Any ideas?

-- Terri D. Eagen-TorkkoFull-time feminist event planner, freelance editor, 24/7 bonus mom

Could be pica, which people with anemia sometimes have, where they crave and ingest non-food items...tt

Does anyone's child try to eat cardboard or paper? My son has started this habit. I am taking something away from him everyday now. I don't even know why he does it. He is regular sized(eats well)so, I don't believe he is hungry. He usually shows me or signs to me when he wants food. Any ideas?

-- Terri D. Eagen-TorkkoFull-time feminist event planner, freelance editor, 24/7 bonus mom

My son eats all kinds of weird stuff including his wooden/ and painted window cill... IDK why either. He only does this late at night though...

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:32 PMSubject: Strange Eating

I think my son just likes the chewing sensation. It's not iron...he gets A LOT of iron.

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:37 PMSubject: Re: Strange Eating

Could be pica, which people with anemia sometimes have, where they crave and ingest non-food items...

tt

More information on PICA, just in case others are interested:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002505/

Our son sucked and chewed on his shirts for a while--he now gets that sensory input from gum chewing. Some other friends have a kids with an ASD and they have " chewies " for him. http://www.nationalautismresources.com/oral-motor.html

I think my son just likes the chewing sensation.  It's not iron...he gets A LOT of iron. 

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:37 PM

Subject: Re: Strange Eating

Could be pica, which people with anemia sometimes have, where they crave and ingest non-food items...

tt

Hmm now that you mention it my son Marty has been chewing for quite

awhile now. He is on a food tube and we had his teeth out a few years

ago because a lot of them were not good and were a source of aspiration

pneumonia. He doesn't chew all the time which I don't miss it when he

stops especially when we are out in public because people look at

him.Also he constantly works the tip of a shoelace into the lace holes

in a shoe, just sits there all day long and does this in between looking

out the window, up at the TV, at people when they come over. However

when we take him out or he has to go to the hospital he doesn't do the

shoe because we don't take it with us, but his chewing usually gets

worse at those times.

I think with him it is a sensation that calms him, just glad he does not

have any worse ones, he seems pretty peaceful and relaxed most of the

time now. When he was younger he was into everything always running

around and doing strange things like jumping out windows, etc. Also he

had mood swings and would get very upset and agitated and bite his arm

and throw things, etc. Also back then he would chew on his clothing, so

I had to stop putting shirts with buttons on them on him because he

would chew the buttons off and I was afraid he might choke on one.

I am just glad he is content to sit in his chair now, things do change.

He is 47 now.

Carolyn

R. Tucker wrote:

>

> I think my son just likes the chewing sensation. It's not iron...he

> gets A LOT of iron.

>

>

> *From:* Terri Eagen-Torkko

> *To:* autism-aspergers

> *Sent:* Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:37 PM

> *Subject:* Re: Strange Eating

>

>

> Could be pica, which people with anemia sometimes have, where they

> crave and ingest non-food items...

>

> tt

>

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Genie Bottle <bottlegenie56@...

> > wrote:

>

>

> Does anyone's child try to eat cardboard or paper? My son has

> started this habit. I am taking something away from him everyday

> now. I don't even know why he does it. He is regular sized(eats

> well)so, I don't believe he is hungry. He usually shows me or

> signs to me when he wants food. Any ideas?

>

>

>

>

> --

> Terri D. Eagen-Torkko

> Full-time feminist event planner, freelance editor, 24/7 bonus mom

>

>

>

>

Also he does not say a single word or sound now, used to scream like a

banshee when he would bite his arm when he was upset. He did say a few

words when he was younger, but stop talking altogether quite awhile ago.

He did scream though a few years ago when he lung collapsed from

pneumonia when they were sticking the tubes into his chest at ER to try

to drain off the fluid. He will still scream when he is in enough pain

and it is quite a terrible sound and very stressful for me because I

know he is in a lot of pain.

Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:

> Hmm now that you mention it my son Marty has been chewing for quite

> awhile now. He is on a food tube and we had his teeth out a few years

> ago because a lot of them were not good and were a source of

> aspiration pneumonia. He doesn't chew all the time which I don't miss

> it when he stops especially when we are out in public because people

> look at him.Also he constantly works the tip of a shoelace into the

> lace holes in a shoe, just sits there all day long and does this in

> between looking out the window, up at the TV, at people when they come

> over. However when we take him out or he has to go to the hospital he

> doesn't do the shoe because we don't take it with us, but his chewing

> usually gets worse at those times.

>

> I think with him it is a sensation that calms him, just glad he does

> not have any worse ones, he seems pretty peaceful and relaxed most of

> the time now. When he was younger he was into everything always

> running around and doing strange things like jumping out windows, etc.

> Also he had mood swings and would get very upset and agitated and bite

> his arm and throw things, etc. Also back then he would chew on his

> clothing, so I had to stop putting shirts with buttons on them on him

> because he would chew the buttons off and I was afraid he might choke

> on one.

>

> I am just glad he is content to sit in his chair now, things do

> change. He is 47 now.

>

> Carolyn

>

>

>

> R. Tucker wrote:

>>

>> I think my son just likes the chewing sensation. It's not iron...he

>> gets A LOT of iron.

>>

>> *From:* Terri Eagen-Torkko

>> *To:* autism-aspergers

>> *Sent:* Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:37 PM

>> *Subject:* Re: Strange Eating

>>

>>

>> Could be pica, which people with anemia sometimes have, where they

>> crave and ingest non-food items...

>>

>> tt

>>

>> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Genie Bottle

>> > wrote:

>>

>> Does anyone's child try to eat cardboard or paper? My son has

>> started this habit. I am taking something away from him everyday

>> now. I don't even know why he does it. He is regular sized(eats

>> well)so, I don't believe he is hungry. He usually shows me or

>> signs to me when he wants food. Any ideas?

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> --

>> Terri D. Eagen-Torkko

>> Full-time feminist event planner, freelance editor, 24/7 bonus mom

>>

>>

>>

>>

>

It sounds to me like it may be a sensory issue. I used to chew on paper when I was younger simply because I liked how it felt (I'm NT, though I have some SPD issues I now know). My daughter used to do the same thing (not biogenetic as she is adopted), but stopped when we gave her other options for meeting the chewing needs (chewies, gum, etc.) and as she got older. I don't know how old your son is or if he is verbal, but have you tried asking him why he does it? It may just be as simple as he likes it.

R. Tucker wrote:

>

> I think my son just likes the chewing sensation. It's not iron...he

> gets A LOT of iron.

>

>

> *From:* Terri Eagen-Torkko

> *To:* autism-aspergers

> *Sent:* Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:37 PM

> *Subject:* Re: Strange Eating

>

>

> Could be pica, which people with anemia sometimes have, where they

> crave and ingest non-food items...

>

> tt

>

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Genie Bottle <bottlegenie56@...

> > wrote:

>

>

> Does anyone's child try to eat cardboard or paper? My son has

> started this habit. I am taking something away from him everyday

> now. I don't even know why he does it. He is regular sized(eats

> well)so, I don't believe he is hungry. He usually shows me or

> signs to me when he wants food. Any ideas?

>

>

>

>

> --

> Terri D. Eagen-Torkko

> Full-time feminist event planner, freelance editor, 24/7 bonus mom

>

>

>

>

Mine liked glass and metal -definitely pica- can be caused by malnourishment and deficiencies often self caused -most went away after supplementation specifically zinc and iron for sonSent from my iPhone

Mine has always had strange oral fixations.... He is a wonderful

eater, not picky at all. But he will chew on everything that comes

in sight---- pens, cardboard, you name it...

Mine liked glass and metal -definitely pica- can be

caused by malnourishment and deficiencies often self

caused -most went away after supplementation specifically

zinc and iron for son

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 18, 2012, at 2:32 PM, "Genie Bottle"

wrote:

Does anyone's child try to eat cardboard or paper?

My son has started this habit. I am taking something

away from him everyday now. I don't even know why he

does it. He is regular sized(eats well)so, I don't

believe he is hungry. He usually shows me or signs

to me when he wants food. Any ideas?

My son is two and chews on everything. his clothes (note no more shirts with buttons). his cups, chairs, every little piece of string he can find goes in his mouth. He eats the hair off my daughters baby dolls. His doctor got on to me because when he goes to the doctor or out anywhere when he starts that I give him his paci. I would rather him have his own germs then licking the floor at the doctors office or the handlebar on the cart at walmart..YUCK!!!!. Our books look like we have rats. He eats them. His iron is good. So we dont know why he does this.

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:42 PMSubject: Re: Strange Eating

Mine has always had strange oral fixations.... He is a wonderful eater, not picky at all. But he will chew on everything that comes in sight---- pens, cardboard, you name it...

Mine liked glass and metal -definitely pica- can be caused by malnourishment and deficiencies often self caused -most went away after supplementation specifically zinc and iron for sonSent from my iPhone

There are special " chew sticks " and other items used for speech and feeding

therapy that you can get for your child to chew. When my oldest was formula

only due to health complications we got some of these items to help keep him on

target developmentally.

My grandson eats erasers. He's nine. When he was much younger, he loved to eat baking powder or flour -- and spices. It's a sensory thing. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:32 PM Subject: Strange Eating

He must have oral sensory issues. Fun and Function (google) sells some oral toys and products like a chew you can attach to his jacket so he chews on that vs. his jacket/shirt. They also sell wrist bracelets they can chew on. Like you said, it's better than the cart at walmart. When they are older they can chew on gum, etc. Tucker

To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:53 AM Subject: Re: Strange Eating

My son is two and chews on everything. his clothes (note no more shirts with buttons). his cups, chairs, every little piece of string he can find goes in his mouth. He eats the hair off my daughters baby dolls. His doctor got on to me because when he goes to the doctor or out anywhere when he starts that I give him his paci. I would rather him have his own germs then licking the floor at the doctors office or the handlebar on the cart at walmart..YUCK!!!!. Our books look like we have rats. He eats them. His iron is good. So we dont know why he does this.

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:42 PMSubject: Re: Strange Eating

Mine has always had strange oral fixations.... He is a wonderful eater, not picky at all. But he will chew on everything that comes in sight---- pens, cardboard, you name it...

My son is pretty much nonverbal. He only says four words. It is probably like almost everyone has said..sensory issues.

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:44 PMSubject: Re: Strange Eating

It sounds to me like it may be a sensory issue. I used to chew on paper when I was younger simply because I liked how it felt (I'm NT, though I have some SPD issues I now know). My daughter used to do the same thing (not biogenetic as she is adopted), but stopped when we gave her other options for meeting the chewing needs (chewies, gum, etc.) and as she got older. I don't know how old your son is or if he is verbal, but have you tried asking him why he does it? It may just be as simple as he likes it.

R. Tucker wrote:> > I think my son just likes the chewing sensation. It's not iron...he > gets A LOT of iron. > > > *From:* Terri Eagen-Torkko > *To:* autism-aspergers > *Sent:* Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:37 PM> *Subject:* Re: Strange Eating>> > Could be pica, which people with anemia sometimes have, where they > crave and ingest non-food items...>> tt>> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Genie Bottle <bottlegenie56@... > > wrote:>> > Does anyone's child try to eat cardboard or paper? My son has> started this habit. I am taking something away from him everyday> now. I don't even know why he does it. He is regular sized(eats> well)so, I don't believe he is hungry. He usually shows me or> signs to me when he wants food. Any ideas?>>>>> -- > Terri D. Eagen-Torkko> Full-time feminist event planner, freelance editor, 24/7 bonus mom>>>>

After reading this thread I better understand why Ella eats the things she does. Even though she doesn't eat things other than food items. I always thought it was weird that she liked to drink lemon juice concentrate straight. That is just one of many things. For her it is anything sour or spicy. When I make some very spicy foods for my husband and myself I make something different for the kids. Anyways Ella always eats the "heat". She is also very particular about textures. If she doesn't get crunchy veggies with each meal she starts

in.... To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent:

Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:23 AM Subject: Re: Strange Eating

My grandson eats erasers. He's nine. When he was much younger, he loved to eat baking powder or flour -- and spices. It's a sensory thing. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:32 PM Subject: Strange Eating