RemedySpot.com

Re: help, wont sleep in bed

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We lock our son's room from the outside at night. I know it sounds mean,

but we would never get any sleep otherwise, much less " alone time " .

We installed a simple slip bolt on the outside of the door.

" maddness2407 "

<maddness2407@yah

oo.com> To

Sent by: autism-georgia

autism-georgia@ya cc

hoogroups.com

Subject

help, wont sleep

11/21/2008 10:29 in bed

AM

Please respond to

autism-georgia@ya

hoogroups.com

hi, i need help my seven yr old wont sleep in his room/ it does not

matter what we do even if he intially falls asleep in his room he is on

the floor on my side(moms) well before morning/ his dad is getting

frustrated because we get no alone time/ we were military and my

husband got out because we felt the instability was hurting our son,

but he almost seems worse lately/ should we just give in and make a

pallet on my side of bed until he grows out of this or what because i

am exhausted from trying to put him back in his room and it doesnt

work/ i should admit when his dad was gone i did not worry about him

in our room , so i feel like this is my fault

This is a hard one. My son is 10 and we still have this issue. It's getting better, albeit slowly. We remind him every night that he has to sleep in his bed and really talk up that big boys sleep in their own beds. He does go to sleep in there--some nights there might be a video playing all night. We also have a radio/CD player in his room so he can listen to music going to sleep if he wants. If he's not asleep within a reasonable amount of time after getting in bed, then the video gets turned off, but usually he's asleep within 30 minutes and we just leave it running with the volume low. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, sometimes he starts it again, but we also tell him if he wakes up, he needs to stay in his bed and can only come to our room if it is time to actually get up--he hears the alarm clocks and knows it is okay at that point. At that point, we do allow him to come to our room in the mornings and get in bed and snuggle and if he has stayed in his room all night he gets tons of praise for doing so. If he does come into our room during the night and wakes us (he likes to climb into the middle of the bed), we send him back to his bed. He may cry and fuss, but we are learning not to give in on it. It's hard because we want our sleep, too. So, if at that point he starts the video again and falls back asleep in his own bed, that's fine with us.

Also, perhaps giving your son a visual using a calendar and smiley/frowny faces for when he stays in his bed versus doesn't and having a reward system for staying in his bed will help encourage him to do so. Sometimes I feel like we have too many reward systems going, but it does really help motivate. That's one reason we try to use praise with the bed issue and his reward is more just the fact that after sleeping in his bed he can come to ours at a reasonable time and get his snuggles.

EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me

To: autism-georgia From: .Cowen@...Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:48:16 -0500Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bed

We lock our son's room from the outside at night. I know it sounds mean,but we would never get any sleep otherwise, much less "alone time".We installed a simple slip bolt on the outside of the door."maddness2407" <maddness2407@yah oo.com> To Sent by: autism-georgia autism-georgia@ya cc hoogroups.com Subject help, wont sleep 11/21/2008 10:29 in bed AM Please respond to autism-georgia@ya hoogroups.com hi, i need help my seven yr old wont sleep in his room/ it does notmatter what we do even if he intially falls asleep in his room he is onthe floor on my side(moms) well before morning/ his dad is gettingfrustrated because we get no alone time/ we were military and myhusband got out because we felt the instability was hurting our son,but he almost seems worse lately/ should we just give in and make apallet on my side of bed until he grows out of this or what because iam exhausted from trying to put him back in his room and it doesntwork/ i should admit when his dad was gone i did not worry about himin our room , so i feel like this is my fault

We found Melatonin works great and routine.

To: autism-georgia Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 11:21:53 AMSubject: RE: help, wont sleep in bed

This is a hard one. My son is 10 and we still have this issue. It's getting better, albeit slowly. We remind him every night that he has to sleep in his bed and really talk up that big boys sleep in their own beds. He does go to sleep in there--some nights there might be a video playing all night. We also have a radio/CD player in his room so he can listen to music going to sleep if he wants. If he's not asleep within a reasonable amount of time after getting in bed, then the video gets turned off, but usually he's asleep within 30 minutes and we just leave it running with the volume low. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, sometimes he starts it again, but we also tell him if he wakes up, he needs to stay in his bed and can only come to our room if it is time to actually get up--he hears the alarm clocks and knows it is okay at that point. At that point, we do allow him to come to our room in

the mornings and get in bed and snuggle and if he has stayed in his room all night he gets tons of praise for doing so. If he does come into our room during the night and wakes us (he likes to climb into the middle of the bed), we send him back to his bed. He may cry and fuss, but we are learning not to give in on it. It's hard because we want our sleep, too. So, if at that point he starts the video again and falls back asleep in his own bed, that's fine with us. Also, perhaps giving your son a visual using a calendar and smiley/frowny faces for when he stays in his bed versus doesn't and having a reward system for staying in his bed will help encourage him to do so. Sometimes I feel like we have too many reward systems going, but it does really help motivate. That's one reason we try to use praise with the bed issue and his reward is more just the fact that after sleeping in his bed he can come to

ours at a reasonable time and get his snuggles.

To: autism-georgia@ yahoogroups. comFrom: .Cowen@ co.clayton. ga.usDate: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:48:16 -0500Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bed

We lock our son's room from the outside at night. I know it sounds mean,but we would never get any sleep otherwise, much less "alone time".We installed a simple slip bolt on the outside of the door."maddness2407" <maddness2407@ yah oo.com> To Sent by: autism-georgia@ yahoogroups. com autism-georgia@ ya cc hoogroups.com Subject help, wont sleep 11/21/2008 10:29 in bed AM Please respond to autism-georgia@ ya hoogroups.com hi, i need help my seven yr old wont sleep in his room/ it does notmatter what we do even if he intially falls asleep in his room he is onthe floor on my side(moms) well

before morning/ his dad is gettingfrustrated because we get no alone time/ we were military and myhusband got out because we felt the instability was hurting our son,but he almost seems worse lately/ should we just give in and make apallet on my side of bed until he grows out of this or what because iam exhausted from trying to put him back in his room and it doesntwork/ i should admit when his dad was gone i did not worry about himin our room , so i feel like this is my fault

We have the same issue with our 2 almost 3 in January. We have gotten better getting him to bed(usually bout 1 hour of crying) but staying there is another issue. He usually wakes up 3 to 4 times in one night. I hate to put him on something so we are working hard at it. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryDate: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 14:39:33 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bed We found Melatonin works great and routine.From: Beasley <wbeasley2004hotmail>To: autism-georgia Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 11:21:53 AMSubject: RE: help, wont sleep in bedThis is a hard one. My son is 10 and we still have this issue. It's getting better, albeit slowly. We remind him every night that he has to sleep in his bed and really talk up that big boys sleep in their own beds. He does go to sleep in there--some nights there might be a video playing all night. We also have a radio/CD player in his room so he can listen to music going to sleep if he wants. If he's not asleep within a reasonable amount of time after getting in bed, then the video gets turned off, but usually he's asleep within 30 minutes and we just leave it running with the volume low. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, sometimes he starts it again, but we also tell him if he wakes up, he needs to stay in his bed and can only come to our room if it is time to actually get up--he hears the alarm clocks and knows it is okay at that point. At that point, we do allow him to come to our room in the mornings and get in bed and snuggle and if he has stayed in his room all night he gets tons of praise for doing so. If he does come into our room during the night and wakes us (he likes to climb into the middle of the bed), we send him back to his bed. He may cry and fuss, but we are learning not to give in on it. It's hard because we want our sleep, too. So, if at that point he starts the video again and falls back asleep in his own bed, that's fine with us. Also, perhaps giving your son a visual using a calendar and smiley/frowny faces for when he stays in his bed versus doesn't and having a reward system for staying in his bed will help encourage him to do so. Sometimes I feel like we have too many reward systems going, but it does really help motivate. That's one reason we try to use praise with the bed issue and his reward is more just the fact that after sleeping in his bed he can come to ours at a reasonable time and get his snuggles. EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me To: autism-georgia@ yahoogroups. comFrom: .Cowen@ co.clayton. ga.usDate: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:48:16 -0500Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bedWe lock our son's room from the outside at night. I know it sounds mean,but we would never get any sleep otherwise, much less "alone time".We installed a simple slip bolt on the outside of the door."maddness2407" <maddness2407@ yah oo.com> To Sent by: autism-georgia@ yahoogroups. com autism-georgia@ ya cc hoogroups.com Subject help, wont sleep 11/21/2008 10:29 in bed AM Please respond to autism-georgia@ ya hoogroups.com hi, i need help my seven yr old wont sleep in his room/ it does notmatter what we do even if he intially falls asleep in his room he is onthe floor on my side(moms) well before morning/ his dad is gettingfrustrated because we get no alone time/ we were military and myhusband got out because we felt the instability was hurting our son,but he almost seems worse lately/ should we just give in and make apallet on my side of bed until he grows out of this or what because iam exhausted from trying to put him back in his room and it doesntwork/ i should admit when his dad was gone i did not worry about himin our room , so i feel like this is my fault

Same issue here. One thing that I tried that worked was to let him go to sleep

in my bed (before me) I stayed up. But I would tell him that I would be moving

him to his bed after he fell asleep. I didn't want him to wake up and be scared

by expecting to be in my room and not be there. He has really mastered the art

(at 5 years old) of sneaking into my bed without us waking up.

He prefers to sleep at the foot of the bed, and he started doing that at about

18 months old. I never could get him up with me. Now he will snuggle me for a

few minutes then he crawls down to the foot of the bed. I can't figure that one

out.

He does like to sleep in the floor sometimes too, but I rather him be in the bed

cause the floor gets cold.

My husband doesn't act like he is in a hurry to get him out so I don't worry

about it anymore and gave up on him going to his own bed since dad gives in

after only a few minutes of crying. (Of course when he complains about not

getting any - I just smile and say " the day will come, eventually, when he

sleeps in his own room.) "

>

> Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bed

> To: " Autism Yahoo Group " <autism-georgia >

> Date: Friday, November 21, 2008, 6:05 PM

> We have the same issue with our 2 almost 3 in January. We

> have gotten better getting him to bed(usually bout 1 hour of

> crying) but staying there is another issue. He usually

> wakes up 3 to 4 times in one night. I hate to put him on

> something so we are working hard at it.

> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

>

> Re: help, wont sleep in bed

>

>

> We lock our son's room from the outside at night. I

> know it sounds mean,

> but we would never get any sleep otherwise, much less

> " alone time " .

> We installed a simple slip bolt on the outside of the

> door.

>

>

>

> " maddness2407 "

> <maddness2407@ yah

> oo.com> To

> Sent by: autism-georgia@ yahoogroups. com

> autism-georgia@ ya cc

> hoogroups.com

> Subject

> help, wont sleep

> 11/21/2008 10:29 in bed

> AM

>

>

> Please respond to

> autism-georgia@ ya

> hoogroups.com

>

>

>

> hi, i need help my seven yr old wont sleep in his room/ it

> does not

> matter what we do even if he intially falls asleep in his

> room he is on

> the floor on my side(moms) well before morning/ his dad is

> getting

> frustrated because we get no alone time/ we were military

> and my

> husband got out because we felt the instability was hurting

> our son,

> but he almost seems worse lately/ should we just give in

> and make a

> pallet on my side of bed until he grows out of this or what

> because i

> am exhausted from trying to put him back in his room and it

> doesnt

> work/ i should admit when his dad was gone i did not worry

> about him

> in our room , so i feel like this is my fault

We bought a wooden bunk bed for my son at Big Lots and then had a

carpenter build a side railing piece for the open side - this way, he

has to stay in bed but is safe - much like a big crib.

>

> We have the same issue with our 2 almost 3 in January. We have

gotten better getting him to bed(usually bout 1 hour of crying) but

staying there is another issue. He usually wakes up 3 to 4 times in

one night. I hate to put him on something so we are working hard at

it.

> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

>

> Re: help, wont sleep in bed

>

>

> We lock our son's room from the outside at night. I know it sounds

mean,

> but we would never get any sleep otherwise, much less " alone time " .

> We installed a simple slip bolt on the outside of the door.

>

>

>

> " maddness2407 "

> <maddness2407@ yah

> oo.com> To

> Sent by: autism-georgia@ yahoogroups. com

> autism-georgia@ ya cc

> hoogroups.com

> Subject

> help, wont sleep

> 11/21/2008 10:29 in bed

> AM

>

>

> Please respond to

> autism-georgia@ ya

> hoogroups.com

>

>

>

> hi, i need help my seven yr old wont sleep in his room/ it does not

> matter what we do even if he intially falls asleep in his room he

is on

> the floor on my side(moms) well before morning/ his dad is getting

> frustrated because we get no alone time/ we were military and my

> husband got out because we felt the instability was hurting our son,

> but he almost seems worse lately/ should we just give in and make a

> pallet on my side of bed until he grows out of this or what because

i

> am exhausted from trying to put him back in his room and it doesnt

> work/ i should admit when his dad was gone i did not worry about him

> in our room , so i feel like this is my fault

>

Whether it is a child with Autism or a child who is typical each family must decide how they feel about children sleeping in the bed. For us we knew we didn't want this so we never allowed it from day 1 (we have triplets so this would have been mighty crowded). It would never occur to my trio (who are 6) to try to get into bed with us. If this behavior is reinforced then of course it will continue to happen. If you are fine with that then so be it. If you aren't then like any behavior you don't want it cannot be reinfoced. A child whether typical or with autism can't differentiate between times when this is OK (like when dad is out of town) and when it isn't. Our child with autism has had plenty of sleep issues which are now tons better. We also have to lock her door as she would get up and wander the house

if she could. I could probably leave in unlocked now she hardly ever even tries the door anymore. Being GFCF and using supplements have helped tremendously with her sleeping as well. If she does wake up she is quite happy to play in her room.

The problem here is that I will put him in his bed and let him cry my wife can't stand him crying for a long amount of time. It used to be 2 hours of crying now its only one and we give him warm milk so that helps. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryDate: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 19:11:05 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bed Same issue here. One thing that I tried that worked was to let him go to sleep in my bed (before me) I stayed up. But I would tell him that I would be moving him to his bed after he fell asleep. I didn't want him to wake up and be scared by expecting to be in my room and not be there. He has really mastered the art (at 5 years old) of sneaking into my bed without us waking up. He prefers to sleep at the foot of the bed, and he started doing that at about 18 months old. I never could get him up with me. Now he will snuggle me for a few minutes then he crawls down to the foot of the bed. I can't figure that one out. He does like to sleep in the floor sometimes too, but I rather him be in the bed cause the floor gets cold. My husband doesn't act like he is in a hurry to get him out so I don't worry about it anymore and gave up on him going to his own bed since dad gives in after only a few minutes of crying. (Of course when he complains about not getting any - I just smile and say " the day will come, eventually, when he sleeps in his own room.) " > From: jamieogibavzw (DOT) blackberry.net <jamieogibavzw (DOT) blackberry.net> > Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bed > To: " Autism Yahoo Group " <autism-georgia > > Date: Friday, November 21, 2008, 6:05 PM > We have the same issue with our 2 almost 3 in January. We > have gotten better getting him to bed(usually bout 1 hour of > crying) but staying there is another issue. He usually > wakes up 3 to 4 times in one night. I hate to put him on > something so we are working hard at it. > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry > > Re: help, wont sleep in bed > > > We lock our son's room from the outside at night. I > know it sounds mean, > but we would never get any sleep otherwise, much less > " alone time " . > We installed a simple slip bolt on the outside of the > door. > > > > " maddness2407 " > <maddness2407@ yah > oo.com> To > Sent by: autism-georgia@ yahoogroups. com > autism-georgia@ ya cc > hoogroups.com > Subject > help, wont sleep > 11/21/2008 10:29 in bed > AM > > > Please respond to > autism-georgia@ ya > hoogroups.com > > > > hi, i need help my seven yr old wont sleep in his room/ it > does not > matter what we do even if he intially falls asleep in his > room he is on > the floor on my side(moms) well before morning/ his dad is > getting > frustrated because we get no alone time/ we were military > and my > husband got out because we felt the instability was hurting > our son, > but he almost seems worse lately/ should we just give in > and make a > pallet on my side of bed until he grows out of this or what > because i > am exhausted from trying to put him back in his room and it > doesnt > work/ i should admit when his dad was gone i did not worry > about him > in our room , so i feel like this is my fault

Is it normal for a child to wake up screaming and crying through the night ? On average about 3 to 4 times a night it happens. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryDate: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 05:18:36 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bed Whether it is a child with Autism or a child who is typical each family must decide how they feel about children sleeping in the bed. For us we knew we didn't want this so we never allowed it from day 1 (we have triplets so this would have been mighty crowded). It would never occur to my trio (who are 6) to try to get into bed with us. If this behavior is reinforced then of course it will continue to happen. If you are fine with that then so be it. If you aren't then like any behavior you don't want it cannot be reinfoced. A child whether typical or with autism can't differentiate between times when this is OK (like when dad is out of town) and when it isn't. Our child with autism has had plenty of sleep issues which are now tons better. We also have to lock her door as she would get up and wander the house if she could. I could probably leave in unlocked now she hardly ever even tries the door anymore. Being GFCF and using supplements have helped tremendously with her sleeping as well. If she does wake up she is quite happy to play in her room.

Sierra has done this on a few occasions with us, usually when she has had a day where her schedule was thrown off or when she hasn't been sleeping really well. That is all that it has happened with us, but it isn't an every night thing with us.

-- ~ ~proud US Army wifemommy to Caitey, 11, ADHDmommy to Sierra, 7, autism, nonverbal, sensory intergration disordermommy to Lindsey Breeana, born Feb 21 7lbs 14oz, 20.5 inches

Is it normal for a child to wake up screaming and crying through the night ? On average about 3 to 4 times a night it happens. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 05:18:36 -0800 (PST)

To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bed

Whether it is a child with Autism or a child who is typical each family must decide how they feel about children sleeping in the bed. For us we knew we didn't want this so we never allowed it from day 1 (we have triplets so this would have been mighty crowded). It would never occur to my trio (who are 6) to try to get into bed with us. If this behavior is reinforced then of course it will continue to happen. If you are fine with that then so be it. If you aren't then like any behavior you don't want it cannot be reinfoced. A child whether typical or with autism can't differentiate between times when this is OK (like when dad is out of town) and when it isn't. Our child with autism has had plenty of sleep issues which are now tons better. We also have to lock her door as she would get up and wander the house if she could. I could probably leave in unlocked now she hardly ever even tries the door anymore. Being GFCF and using supplements have helped tremendously with her sleeping as well. If she does wake up she is quite happy to play in her room.

Kudos !! Something we " celebrate " at our home. Conner went to bed by

1030 PM last night..slept all thru the night...and stayed in his bed in

his room.

Yeah, he's almost 12yo, but you all understand.

Kim

Macon, Ga.

:) :) :)

I'm right there with you today. After him not sleeping but about 6 hours Sunday night, we wore him Connor out yesterday dragging him around all day. He put himself to bed before 10 last night and actually slept until--drumroll please.....9:00 this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if only I had hadn't had to get up at 7:30 it would have been a perfect morning ;)

To: autism-georgia From: mcgkcc@...Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:42:37 +0000Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bed

Kudos !! Something we "celebrate" at our home. Conner went to bed by 1030 PM last night..slept all thru the night...and stayed in his bed in his room. Yeah, he's almost 12yo, but you all understand. KimMacon, Ga.

Kim,

I am starting to experience some of what you are going through. My

two year-old son, has usually gotten up fairly early (i.e.,

5:30 to 6am) but starting on Halloween, when he got up at 2:30am (he

had gone to bed at 8:30 but did not fall asleep until 9:45 or so) and

stayed up all day with no nap things have gotten worse. Since then he

has gotten up on average somewhere between 3 and 4am (except, of

course, for the weekend my parents came to visit when he got up around

5am both days.) The saddest thing is, when he gets up at 3 or 4am he

runs around in a manic state while at the same time yawning.

Yesterday he made it to 6am and today, after stirring for a few

minutes at 4am, he made it to 7:15am! Getting up at 3 or 4 am isn't

fun but it is manageable if he could just be consistent. His getting

up at 3:30 one morning and 6 the next is my main problem. We tried

him on Melatonin for a little over a week to no real effect. He went

to sleep a lot faster but he wasn't staying asleep any longer. In

fact, he seemed to get up even earlier. We started him at 1mg and

upped him to 3mg over the course of a little over a week. On the

night we gave him 3mg he went to sleep within 20 minutes or so but got

up at midnight, 2, 3:15, 4:30 and finally for good at 5:15. We took

him off of it and his sleep has gotten marginally better.

Mike Randolph

> Kudos !! Something we " celebrate " at our home. Conner went to bed by

> 1030 PM last night..slept all thru the night...and stayed in his bed in

> his room.

> Yeah, he's almost 12yo, but you all understand.

>

> Kim

> Macon, Ga.

>

>

mike,

have you had his dopamine and seratonin levels checked? this sounds

like my guy, now 7. its been a long road but we finally discovered

his body produces no dopamine or seratonin, the stuff that makes one

sleepy enough to fall asleep and stay asleep.

we had no luck with regular melatonin in terms of sleeping more than

4 hours per night. so neuropsych suggested time released melatonin.

he no takes 6mg of sustained release (recently upped from 3mg). it

keeps him asleep about 6-7hrs. its not perfect but certainly better

than him waking at 2am and ready for his day to begin. oh and he

never naps/tires during the day unless he is sick with strep or flu.

so i feel your exhaustion. hope this helps :)

> > Kudos !! Something we " celebrate " at our home. Conner went to bed

by

> > 1030 PM last night..slept all thru the night...and stayed in his

bed in

> > his room.

> > Yeah, he's almost 12yo, but you all understand.

> >

> > Kim

> > Macon, Ga.

> >

> >

>

• 1 month later...

We were experiencing this with our 3 year old son as well with the waking a having night screams that would last up to 3-4 hours...The GFCF diet helped so much with the night screams and waking up through the night...now he sleeps 10-12 hours a night with his brother/twin. Also I agree with not encouraging sleeping in the bed with you if that is not what you want...Stand firm even if it means having to sit by their bedside till they fall back to sleep in their own bed..The only time we have problems with sleeping issues now is when Connell is sick...

Dana

Subject: Re: Re: help, wont sleep in bedTo: "Autism Yahoo Group " <autism-georgia >Date: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 2:52 PM

Is it normal for a child to wake up screaming and crying through the night ? On average about 3 to 4 times a night it happens. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

From: andrea wheeler <wheelertrio2002@ yahoo.com>Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 05:18:36 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia@ yahoogroups. com>Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bed

Whether it is a child with Autism or a child who is typical each family must decide how they feel about children sleeping in the bed. For us we knew we didn't want this so we never allowed it from day 1 (we have triplets so this would have been mighty crowded). It would never occur to my trio (who are 6) to try to get into bed with us. If this behavior is reinforced then of course it will continue to happen. If you are fine with that then so be it. If you aren't then like any behavior you don't want it cannot be reinfoced. A child whether typical or with autism can't differentiate between times when this is OK (like when dad is out of town) and when it isn't. Our child with autism has had plenty of sleep issues which are now tons better. We also have to lock her door as she would get up and wander the house if she could. I could probably leave in unlocked now she hardly ever even

tries the door anymore. Being GFCF and using supplements have helped tremendously with her sleeping as well. If she does wake up she is quite happy to play in her room.

We have had better success since then as we give him the almond milk know. The GFCF diet is very expansive and we have to go the big city to get it. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: Dana - Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:53:53 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re: Re: help, wont sleep in bed We were experiencing this with our 3 year old son as well with the waking a having night screams that would last up to 3-4 hours...The GFCF diet helped so much with the night screams and waking up through the night...now he sleeps 10-12 hours a night with his brother/twin. Also I agree with not encouraging sleeping in the bed with you if that is not what you want...Stand firm even if it means having to sit by their bedside till they fall back to sleep in their own bed..The only time we have problems with sleeping issues now is when Connell is sick...DanaFrom: jamieogibavzw (DOT) blackberry.net <jamieogibavzw (DOT) blackberry.net>Subject: Re: Re: help, wont sleep in bedTo: "Autism Yahoo Group " <autism-georgia >Date: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 2:52 PMIs it normal for a child to wake up screaming and crying through the night ? On average about 3 to 4 times a night it happens.Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: andrea wheeler <wheelertrio2002@ yahoo.com>Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 05:18:36 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia@ yahoogroups. com>Subject: Re: help, wont sleep in bedWhether it is a child with Autism or a child who is typical each family must decide how they feel about children sleeping in the bed. For us we knew we didn't want this so we never allowed it from day 1 (we have triplets so this would have been mighty crowded). It would never occur to my trio (who are 6) to try to get into bed with us. If this behavior is reinforced then of course it will continue to happen. If you are fine with that then so be it. If you aren't then like any behavior you don't want it cannot be reinfoced. A child whether typical or with autism can't differentiate between times when this is OK (like when dad is out of town) and when it isn't. Our child with autism has had plenty of sleep issues which are now tons better. We also have to lock her door as she would get up and wander the house if she could. I could probably leave in unlocked now she hardly ever even tries the door anymore. Being GFCF and using supplements have helped tremendously with her sleeping as well. If she does wake up she is quite happy to play in her room.