What is the differences/pros/cons to KB Waiver vs. NOW waiver

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am getting confused about the difference bt these 2 waivers. I know

there have been a lot of problems with people getting services since

nov 1 with the new changes to NOW so was wondering what the pros and

cons were of having KB and switching to NOW. Any and all info is

appreciated! :)

The confusion is because of the word "waiver". Beckett is just a way for a child to get medicaid if the family makes too much money (the financial requirments are "waived"). Once a child has medicaid or is medicaid eligible they can receive the NOW or COMP waiver. This type of waiver provides actual services not covered under medicaid such as personal support( now called Community Living or Community access), respite, supplies, therapy for adults, etc. You are not choosing one or the other. What we need is a flow chart developed so it is visually easier to understand. Maybe I will work on that in my spare time! :)

See that makes sense. We applied for ssi but was denied so now we go for medicaid. Its good to know that we can ask for the KB Waiver. Question do we ask for that before or after applying ? Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryDate: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 05:06:20 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re:What is the differences/pros/cons to KB Waiver vs. NOW waiver The confusion is because of the word "waiver". Beckett is just a way for a child to get medicaid if the family makes too much money (the financial requirments are "waived"). Once a child has medicaid or is medicaid eligible they can receive the NOW or COMP waiver. This type of waiver provides actual services not covered under medicaid such as personal support( now called Community Living or Community access), respite, supplies, therapy for adults, etc. You are not choosing one or the other. What we need is a flow chart developed so it is visually easier to understand. Maybe I will work on that in my spare time! :)

Thank you Ogiba Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryDate: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 05:19:32 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re: What is the differences/pros/cons to KB Waiver vs. NOW waiver Yes, you call DFCS and tell them you want to apply for KB. Your denial letter from SSI will be part of the package that you send in.

How long did it take you to get approved on the Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryDate: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 05:06:20 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re:What is the differences/pros/cons to KB Waiver vs. NOW waiver The confusion is because of the word "waiver". Beckett is just a way for a child to get medicaid if the family makes too much money (the financial requirments are "waived"). Once a child has medicaid or is medicaid eligible they can receive the NOW or COMP waiver. This type of waiver provides actual services not covered under medicaid such as personal support( now called Community Living or Community access), respite, supplies, therapy for adults, etc. You are not choosing one or the other. What we need is a flow chart developed so it is visually easier to understand. Maybe I will work on that in my spare time! :)

How long did it take you to get the KB Waiver ? Also is there any help with daycare ? I know it sounds bad to ask but this new daycare is great and he gets a lot of attention but it is killing us in the pocketbook. We are paying about 60 percent more then we were before. I don't know how long we are going to able to keep him there. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryDate: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 05:06:20 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re:What is the differences/pros/cons to KB Waiver vs. NOW waiver The confusion is because of the word "waiver". Beckett is just a way for a child to get medicaid if the family makes too much money (the financial requirments are "waived"). Once a child has medicaid or is medicaid eligible they can receive the NOW or COMP waiver. This type of waiver provides actual services not covered under medicaid such as personal support( now called Community Living or Community access), respite, supplies, therapy for adults, etc. You are not choosing one or the other. What we need is a flow chart developed so it is visually easier to understand. Maybe I will work on that in my spare time! :)

I honestly can't remember how long it took us to get KB - maybe 3 months? KB won't covere day care but the NOW waiver would cover someone to be with your child after school - if at home it would be Community Living and in the community or at center would be Community Access.

Thanks This is all hard for us. We are trying see what can get so we can take that money and put jr in a better daycare. My wife went up and applied for Medicaid and the kB waiver and we were sent a letter that we were denied for Medicaid. The waiver she filled out they said she would get information in the mail next week. Thank you Ogiba jamieogiba@... Sun, Nov 30, 200847835700475:52:21 PM Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: andrea wheeler Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:09:05 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >Subject: Re: What is the differences/pros/cons to KB Waiver vs. NOW waiver I honestly can't remember how long it took us to get KB - maybe 3 months? KB won't covere day care but the NOW waiver would cover someone to be with your child after school - if at home it would be Community Living and in the community or at center would be Community Access.