RemedySpot.com

Re: [autism-Georgia] Falling through the cracks

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don’t know if I am just extremely

lucky or what – but I haven’t experienced anything like this (or

anything like what I have read in past posts from others)! My son (4 –

will be 5 at the end of this month) is also PDD NOS started SNPK at Blackwell

Elem. in Cobb Co. as soon as he could after his 3rd b-day.

He is doing very well cognitively. Behavior

wise is a different Oprah – but this is not something that they can

control.

I have had NONE of the struggles that you or

others mention. For example… last school year I asked for more OT

(he was getting 30 min. per week at the time) and BOOM it was done! Now

he gets 1 hr. per week.

He also gets 1 hr. per week of ST. If

I wanted more all I would need to do is ask, but I feel as if this is sufficient.

And…. his teachers are

FABULOUS!!!!!! I have grown so very close to them that I actually HATE

the thought of leaving them next year (if in fact he will be ready for

Kindergarten).

Soooooooo…… I hate to not

be able to sympathize with you but I really can’t. Cobb County

has completely exceeded my expectations in every sense of the word “exceed”.

Best of luck to you and all of those out

there that continue to struggle with the school systems. Maybe my day will come

but so far so good.

Krista Brown

autism-georgia [mailto:autism-georgia ] On Behalf Of wehaveautism

Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008

5:15 PM

To: autism-georgia

Subject: Falling

through the cracks

I have came in contact with many families that argue

that their

children are falling through the cracks due to being High

Functioning. Let me share my story and please know that my story is

MOST common with others that have children.

My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for Pre-school

intervention. I did manage to get him into Head Start and thought we

were on the right path. Every day that I dropped my son off I got a

phone call to come and get him that the teachers do not know how to

deal with him. I made suggestions such as move him to another room,

no space for that.....give him one on one time during his time he can

not focus, not enough staff for that. I took my son out of that

program thanking I can find another program to serve him. When I was

in the office of a local day care/pre-school, I had my son with me

and he was trying to see every part of the room at one time. He did

not have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact it was a new

area. I was informed at that time that they can not serve him and

give him the one to one he needs.

He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job) and not receiving

services. I have a saying----a child only educated at school is an

uneducated child-----I also know that he needs to learn from others

as well.

When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait about a month or so

to be referred to special programs, than he will have to go through

the TEAR steps which can take half the school year. So this is every

day that my child will be behind.

Services are needed and they are needed now. I am a mom and an

advocate and I am concern about not only my child's education but the

education of my community and the future of our children.

We really need a program that can serve High Functioning children.

*FYI-my son has the diagnoses of PDD,

Thanks for your time and I hope I have your support,

Hall

Tifton GA.

I have heard similar stories including a child who was kicked out of 6 daycares last year - diagnosis. . . autism. I am working on starting a school whose goal is to retain all kids (without other children getting hurt). I will pray for your situation and please pray for us. We need people to help organize and funding.

Terri R. Benn

25Give praise to the only God. He is our Savior. Glory, majesty, power and authority belong to him. Give praise to him through Jesus Christ our Lord. Give praise to the One who was before all time, who now is, and who will be forever. Amen. Jude 1:25

Subject: RE: [autism-Georgia] Falling through the cracksTo: autism-georgia Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 7:52 PM

I don’t know if I am just extremely lucky or what – but I haven’t experienced anything like this (or anything like what I have read in past posts from others)! My son (4 – will be 5 at the end of this month) is also PDD NOS started SNPK at Blackwell Elem. in Cobb Co. as soon as he could after his 3rd b-day.

He is doing very well cognitively. Behavior wise is a different Oprah – but this is not something that they can control.

I have had NONE of the struggles that you or others mention. For example… last school year I asked for more OT (he was getting 30 min. per week at the time) and BOOM it was done! Now he gets 1 hr. per week.

He also gets 1 hr. per week of ST. If I wanted more all I would need to do is ask, but I feel as if this is sufficient.

And…. his teachers are FABULOUS!!!! !! I have grown so very close to them that I actually HATE the thought of leaving them next year (if in fact he will be ready for Kindergarten) .

Soooooooo…… I hate to not be able to sympathize with you but I really can’t. Cobb County has completely exceeded my expectations in every sense of the word “exceed”.

Best of luck to you and all of those out there that continue to struggle with the school systems. Maybe my day will come but so far so good.

Krista Brown

From: autism-georgia@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:autism- georgia@yahoogro ups.com] On Behalf Of wehaveautismSent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:15 PMTo: autism-georgia@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Falling through the cracks

I have came in contact with many families that argue that theirchildren are falling through the cracks due to being HighFunctioning. Let me share my story and please know that my story isMOST common with others that have children.My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for Pre-schoolintervention. I did manage to get him into Head Start and thought wewere on the right path. Every day that I dropped my son off I got aphone call to come and get him that the teachers do not know how todeal with him. I made suggestions such as move him to another room,no space for that.....give him one on one time during his time he cannot focus, not enough staff for that. I took my son out of thatprogram thanking I can find another program to serve him. When I wasin the office of a local day care/pre-school, I had my son with meand he was trying to

see every part of the room at one time. He didnot have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact it was a newarea. I was informed at that time that they can not serve him andgive him the one to one he needs.He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job) and not receivingservices. I have a saying----a child only educated at school is anuneducated child-----I also know that he needs to learn from othersas well.When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait about a month or soto be referred to special programs, than he will have to go throughthe TEAR steps which can take half the school year. So this is everyday that my child will be behind.Services are needed and they are needed now. I am a mom and anadvocate and I am concern about not only my child's education but theeducation of my community and the future of our children.We really need a program that can serve High

Functioning children.*FYI-my son has the diagnoses of PDD,Thanks for your time and I hope I have your support, HallTifton GA.

What I have found out here at least is when my wife handled she didn't get anywhere's. But when I handle (maybe in the wrong way) it seems to have a better outcome. Thank you Ogiba jamieogiba@... Wed, Dec 3, 200847835700474:29:53 AM Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "G.T., Krista, Brown" Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:52:49 -0500To: <autism-georgia >Subject: RE: [autism-Georgia] Falling through the cracks I don’t know if I am just extremely lucky or what – but I haven’t experienced anything like this (or anything like what I have read in past posts from others)! My son (4 – will be 5 at the end of this month) is also PDD NOS started SNPK at Blackwell Elem. in Cobb Co. as soon as he could after his 3rd b-day. He is doing very well cognitively. Behavior wise is a different Oprah – but this is not something that they can control. I have had NONE of the struggles that you or others mention. For example… last school year I asked for more OT (he was getting 30 min. per week at the time) and BOOM it was done! Now he gets 1 hr. per week. He also gets 1 hr. per week of ST. If I wanted more all I would need to do is ask, but I feel as if this is sufficient. And…. his teachers are FABULOUS!!!!!! I have grown so very close to them that I actually HATE the thought of leaving them next year (if in fact he will be ready for Kindergarten). Soooooooo…… I hate to not be able to sympathize with you but I really can’t. Cobb County has completely exceeded my expectations in every sense of the word “exceed”. Best of luck to you and all of those out there that continue to struggle with the school systems. Maybe my day will come but so far so good. Krista Brown From: autism-georgia [mailto:autism-georgia ] On Behalf Of wehaveautismSent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:15 PMTo: autism-georgia Subject: Falling through the cracks I have came in contact with many families that argue that their children are falling through the cracks due to being High Functioning. Let me share my story and please know that my story is MOST common with others that have children. My son is 4 years old and did not qualify for Pre-school intervention. I did manage to get him into Head Start and thought we were on the right path. Every day that I dropped my son off I got a phone call to come and get him that the teachers do not know how to deal with him. I made suggestions such as move him to another room, no space for that.....give him one on one time during his time he can not focus, not enough staff for that. I took my son out of that program thanking I can find another program to serve him. When I was in the office of a local day care/pre-school, I had my son with me and he was trying to see every part of the room at one time. He did not have a tantrum but he was busy due to the fact it was a new area. I was informed at that time that they can not serve him and give him the one to one he needs. He is now home with me (yes, I had to quit my job) and not receiving services. I have a saying----a child only educated at school is an uneducated child-----I also know that he needs to learn from others as well. When he starts kindergarten, he will have to wait about a month or so to be referred to special programs, than he will have to go through the TEAR steps which can take half the school year. So this is every day that my child will be behind. Services are needed and they are needed now. I am a mom and an advocate and I am concern about not only my child's education but the education of my community and the future of our children. We really need a program that can serve High Functioning children. *FYI-my son has the diagnoses of PDD, Thanks for your time and I hope I have your support, HallTifton GA.