Those of you with weight gain, did you control your child's diet or were they

allowed to eat as

they wanted? We've been doing risperdal now for a month with our 5.5 year old

Asperger's

child and haven't seen any weight issues. His appetite has gone up but we give

him low

fat/calorie snacks, tons of fruit, lean meats, etc. He doesn't eat junk food

and eats a lot but

again, low fat/calorie " real " foods as well as regular stuff like pasta, and so

on. We're limiting

pizza and things like french fries but I was prepared for huge weight gain but

again, he hasn't

agained a thing yet. Just curious how kids gained things like 30 pounds in two

months! I

know it might be harder with older kids in terms of keeping them from over

eating.

>

> Risperdal was better than Abilify for Karac, but there was a 30 lb. weight

> gain in two weeks time. It also made him eat compulsively. It did seem to

work

> well in the beginning. Pat K<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Start the year off

right.

Easy

> ways to stay in shape.<BR>

> http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489</HTML>

>

>

> Risperdal was better than Abilify for Karac, but there was a 30

lb. weight

> gain in two weeks time. It also made him eat compulsively. It

did seem to work

> well in the beginning. Pat K<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Start

the year off right. Easy

> ways to stay in shape.<BR>

> http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?

NCID=aolcmp00300000002489</HTML>

>Hey there!!!!!

our son experienced weight gain as well on Risperdal- he is like a

little linebacker now- our son also now gets overheated in the sun

which he never did before- but this is a listed side affect too-

sensitivity to sunlight. Overall - this has worked great- he sleeps

now- and he is not as agressive and his meltdowns do happen but not

to the intesity that it had been and also not as often-. Our son

has changed so much- in our case it has worked great - he gets

checked with blood too- but our pros outweighed the cons!!!!

Goodluck!!!

• 3 weeks later...

FDA OKs Drug for Autism Irritability Risperdal Approved to Treat Irritability Related to Autism in Children By Warner WebMD Medical News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD Oct. 10, 2006 -- The FDA has approved Risperdal to treat irritability in children and adolescents with autism. It's the first approval of a drug for use in treating behavior-related problems associated with autism in children. Classified under the general heading of irritability, these behaviors include

aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums. "This approval should benefit many autistic children as well as their parents and other care givers," says Galson, MD, director of FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, in a news release. Risperdal is an antipsychotic drug that has been approved for use in treating adults with schizophrenia since 1993; it has been approved since 2003 for the short-term treatment of adults with acute manic episodes or episodes with extreme mood swings. The approval for treating children with autism was based on two eight-week clinical trials that evaluated the drug vs. placebo in 156 children 5 to 16

years old. The results showed that children on Risperdal significantly improved in measures of irritability associated with autism compared with children who received the placebo. The most common side effects of Risperdal were drowsiness, constipation, fatigue, and weight gain.RJ wrote: I understand your concerns. My son started at 1 mg a day. He is now at 1 mg -- 3x's a day. But I have to say.. i am honestly not sure what it is doing for him. He comes home and tries to spend ALL his time in the kitchen... opening and closing cabinets and banging them... Not responding at all to my redirection so I have tried ignoring the behavior. I tell you one thing.. he is trying to eat like crazy.. but i have been controlling it.. or at least trying like heck to do so.. Ehrlich <ehrlichmoptonline (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Everybody: My son's doctor keeps raising my son's Risperdal dosage. He is taking .5 in the morning and .25 in the evening. He wants to raise the evening dosage to .5. When does it become too high? I am scared? Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

This is what I am confused about in my decision. My son 5-- has always been a very happy go lucky child. I wanted something to calm in down in the respect of him running out of house, running away from me when outside, jumping on counters, stoves, getting into ovens.. throwing things.. pretty much stimming.. I am now questioning if Risperdal is the right choice. Any other experiences or thoughts? Much appreciatedtroy brant wrote: FDA OKs Drug for Autism Irritability Risperdal Approved to Treat Irritability Related to Autism in Children By Warner WebMD Medical News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD Oct. 10, 2006 -- The FDA has approved Risperdal to treat irritability in children and adolescents with autism. It's the first approval of a drug for use in treating behavior-related problems

associated with autism in children. Classified under the general heading of irritability, these behaviors include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums. "This approval should benefit many autistic children as well as their parents and other care givers," says Galson, MD, director of FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, in a news release. Risperdal is an antipsychotic drug that has been approved for use in treating adults with schizophrenia since 1993; it has been approved since 2003 for the short-term treatment of adults with acute manic episodes or episodes with extreme mood swings. The approval for treating children with

autism was based on two eight-week clinical trials that evaluated the drug vs. placebo in 156 children 5 to 16 years old. The results showed that children on Risperdal significantly improved in measures of irritability associated with autism compared with children who received the placebo. The most common side effects of Risperdal were drowsiness, constipation, fatigue, and weight gain.RJ wrote: I understand

your concerns. My son started at 1 mg a day. He is now at 1 mg -- 3x's a day. But I have to say.. i am honestly not sure what it is doing for him. He comes home and tries to spend ALL his time in the kitchen... opening and closing cabinets and banging them... Not responding at all to my redirection so I have tried ignoring the behavior. I tell you one thing.. he is trying to eat like crazy.. but i have been controlling it.. or at least trying like heck to do so.. Ehrlich <ehrlichmoptonline (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Everybody: My son's doctor keeps raising my son's Risperdal dosage. He is taking .5 in the morning and .25 in the evening. He wants to raise the evening dosage to .5. When does it become too high? I am scared? Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Hi, my son has autism and other psychiatric problems including psychosis. I was never happy with him taking Risperdal because I wanted to try and control things naturally but this proved impossible, especially with the degree of aggression we were dealing with. He has been taking Risperdal since he was eight years old, very low dose. A few years ago I took him off of all drugs (gradually) against the docs advice and he gradually became worse and worse aggression-wise. He also started seeing things and hearing things and was a very unhappy tormented child. What I also noticed was that my son is probably hyperactive but the Risperdal had masked this for years. Without Risperdal my son cannot sleep, cannot sit in one spot for longer than a few seconds, is impulsive and destructive. So yes, I would say that this drug would help your child. Eventually I decided, for his safety and others' that I would allow him to go back onto Risperdal and things settled again almost immediately. The very first night he fell asleep at 9pm (exhausted) and after short space of time the aggression started to diminish too. We still have aggression problems - my son is also taking an SSRi which diminish the effects of the Risperdal slightly but have other benefits for him - but unless we are having a really bad day he can be reasoned with. Everyday things are possible with Risperdal whereas if he was not taking it we probably would not even be able to go out of the house. Hope this helps.

Best Wishes, (UK) x

Re: Risperdal

This is what I am confused about in my decision. My son 5-- has always been a very happy go lucky child. I wanted something to calm in down in the respect of him running out of house, running away from me when outside, jumping on counters, stoves, getting into ovens.. throwing things.. pretty much stimming..

I am now questioning if Risperdal is the right choice. Any other experiences or thoughts? Much appreciatedtroy brant <troy.jennifer> wrote:

FDA OKs Drug for Autism Irritability

Risperdal Approved to Treat Irritability Related to Autism in Children

By Warner WebMD Medical News

Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Oct. 10, 2006 -- The FDA has approved Risperdal to treat irritability in children and adolescents with autism.

It's the first approval of a drug for use in treating behavior-related problems associated with autism in children. Classified under the general heading of irritability, these behaviors include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

"This approval should benefit many autistic children as well as their parents and other care givers," says Galson, MD, director of FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, in a news release.

Risperdal is an antipsychotic drug that has been approved for use in treating adults with schizophrenia since 1993; it has been approved since 2003 for the short-term treatment of adults with acute manic episodes or episodes with extreme mood swings.

The approval for treating children with autism was based on two eight-week clinical trials that evaluated the drug vs. placebo in 156 children 5 to 16 years old. The results showed that children on Risperdal significantly improved in measures of irritability associated with autism compared with children who received the placebo.

The most common side effects of Risperdal were drowsiness, constipation, fatigue, and weight gain.RJ <rahimab_98> wrote:

I understand your concerns. My son started at 1 mg a day. He is now at 1 mg -- 3x's a day. But I have to say.. i am honestly not sure what it is doing for him. He comes home and tries to spend ALL his time in the kitchen... opening and closing cabinets and banging them...

Not responding at all to my redirection so I have tried ignoring the behavior.

I tell you one thing.. he is trying to eat like crazy.. but i have been controlling it.. or at least trying like heck to do so.. Ehrlich <ehrlichmoptonline (DOT) net> wrote:

Hi Everybody:

My son's doctor keeps raising my son's Risperdal dosage. He is taking .5 in the morning and .25 in the evening. He wants to raise the evening dosage to .5.

When does it become too high? I am scared?

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Is this for me? if so he gets ABA 5 times a week...pkuenstler@... wrote: Just my opinion, but I wouldn't choose a med for that behavior. Have you tried ABA? Pat K**************The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. Go to AOL Music.(http://music.aol.com/grammys?NCID=aolcmp00300000002565)

Hi all,

Just a note on what works for us. My son takes

Strattera. It’s a non-stimulant medication. It has been a

blessing for us. He takes it 30 minutes before bedtime with

crackers. He now sleeps thru the night and has greatly improved impulsive/stimming

behaviors like those you list below. Visit the Strattera website for more

info on the med. I don’t get to read most of the chat on these

emails but have never seen anyone else mention using Strattera in the ones I

have read and I wanted to pass this info along. Hope this gives you

another option. C

AutismBehaviorProblems

[mailto:AutismBehaviorProblems ] On Behalf Of RJ

Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:05 PM

To: AutismBehaviorProblems

Subject: Re: Risperdal

This is what I am confused about in my decision. My son 5--

has always been a very happy go lucky child. I wanted something to calm in down

in the respect of him running out of house, running away from me when outside,

jumping on counters, stoves, getting into ovens.. throwing things.. pretty much

stimming..

I am now questioning if Risperdal is the right choice. Any

other experiences or thoughts? Much appreciated

troy brant wrote:

FDA OKs Drug for Autism Irritability

Risperdal Approved to Treat Irritability Related to Autism

in Children

By Warner

WebMD Medical News

Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Oct. 10, 2006 -- The FDA has approved Risperdal to treat

irritability in children and adolescents with autism.

It's the first approval of a drug for use in treating

behavior-related problems associated with autism in children. Classified under

the general heading of irritability, these behaviors include aggression,

deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

" This approval should benefit many autistic children as

well as their parents and other care givers, " says Galson, MD,

director of FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, in a news release.

Risperdal is an antipsychotic drug that has been approved

for use in treating adults with schizophrenia

since 1993; it has been approved since 2003 for the short-term treatment of

adults with acute manic episodes or episodes with extreme mood swings.

The approval for treating children with autism was based on

two eight-week clinical trials that evaluated the drug vs. placebo in 156

children 5 to 16 years old. The results showed that children on Risperdal

significantly improved in measures of irritability associated with autism

compared with children who received the placebo.

The most common side effects of Risperdal were drowsiness, constipation, fatigue, and

weight gain.

RJ wrote:

I understand your concerns. My son started at 1 mg a day. He

is now at 1 mg -- 3x's a day. But I have to say.. i am honestly not sure what

it is doing for him. He comes home and tries to spend ALL his time in the

kitchen... opening and closing cabinets and banging them...

Not responding at all to my redirection so I have tried

ignoring the behavior.

I tell you one thing.. he is trying to eat like crazy.. but

i have been controlling it.. or at least trying like heck to do so..

Ehrlich wrote:

Hi Everybody:

My son's doctor keeps raising my son's

Risperdal dosage. He is taking .5 in the morning and .25 in the

evening. He wants to raise the evening dosage to .5.

When does it become too high? I am

scared?

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo

your homepage.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find

them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo

your homepage.

Thanks for your response. Greatly appreciated.I will speak to Doc about it. Carie Lackey wrote: Hi all, Just a note on what works for us. My son takes Strattera. It’s a non-stimulant medication. It has been a blessing for us. He takes it 30 minutes before bedtime with crackers. He now sleeps thru the night and has greatly improved impulsive/stimming behaviors like those you list below. Visit the Strattera website for more info on the med. I don’t get to read most of the chat on these emails but have never seen anyone else mention using Strattera in the ones I have read and I wanted to pass this info along. Hope this gives you another option. C From: AutismBehaviorProblems [mailto:AutismBehaviorProblems ] On Behalf Of RJSent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:05 PMTo: AutismBehaviorProblems Subject: Re: Risperdal This is what I am confused about in my decision. My son 5-- has always been a very happy go lucky child. I wanted

something to calm in down in the respect of him running out of house, running away from me when outside, jumping on counters, stoves, getting into ovens.. throwing things.. pretty much stimming.. I am now questioning if Risperdal is the right choice. Any other experiences or thoughts? Much appreciatedtroy brant wrote: FDA OKs Drug for Autism Irritability Risperdal Approved to Treat Irritability Related to Autism in Children By Warner WebMD Medical News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD Oct. 10, 2006 -- The FDA has approved Risperdal to treat irritability in children and adolescents with autism. It's the first approval of a drug for use in treating behavior-related problems associated with autism in children. Classified under the general heading of irritability, these behaviors include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums. "This approval should benefit many autistic children as well as their parents and other care givers," says Galson, MD, director of FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and

Research, in a news release. Risperdal is an antipsychotic drug that has been approved for use in treating adults with schizophrenia since 1993; it has been approved since 2003 for the short-term treatment of adults with acute manic episodes or episodes with extreme mood swings. The approval for treating children with autism was based on two eight-week clinical trials that evaluated the drug vs. placebo in 156 children 5 to 16 years old. The results showed that children on Risperdal significantly improved in measures of irritability associated with autism compared with children who received the placebo. The most common side effects of Risperdal were drowsiness, constipation, fatigue, and weight gain. RJ wrote: I understand your concerns. My son started at 1 mg a day. He is now at 1 mg -- 3x's a day. But I have to say.. i am honestly not sure what it is doing for him. He comes home and tries to spend ALL his time in the kitchen... opening and closing cabinets and banging them... Not responding at all to my redirection so I have tried ignoring the behavior. I tell you one thing.. he is trying to eat like crazy.. but i have been controlling it.. or at least trying like heck to do so.. Ehrlich wrote: Hi Everybody: My son's doctor keeps raising my son's Risperdal dosage. He is taking .5 in the

morning and .25 in the evening. He wants to raise the evening dosage to .5. When does it become too high? I am scared? Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

My daughter is 15 and did well on Reisperdal for 2 months but then it didn't seem to work for her anymore. She also gained about 20 lbs. in the process. She took .5 mg morning and .5 mg at night to sleep. RJ wrote: This is what I am confused about in my decision. My son 5-- has always been a very happy go lucky child. I wanted something to calm in down in the respect of him running out of house, running away from me when outside, jumping on counters, stoves, getting into ovens.. throwing things.. pretty much stimming..

I am now questioning if Risperdal is the right choice. Any other experiences or thoughts? Much appreciatedtroy brant <troy.jennifer> wrote: FDA OKs Drug for Autism Irritability Risperdal Approved to Treat Irritability Related to Autism in Children By Warner WebMD Medical News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD Oct. 10, 2006 -- The FDA has approved Risperdal to treat irritability in children and adolescents with autism. It's the first approval of a drug for use in treating behavior-related problems associated with autism in children. Classified under the general heading of irritability, these behaviors include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums. "This approval should benefit many autistic children as well as their parents and other care givers," says Galson, MD, director of FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, in a news release. Risperdal is an antipsychotic drug that has been approved for use in treating adults with schizophrenia since 1993; it has been approved since 2003 for the short-term treatment of adults with acute manic episodes or episodes with extreme mood

swings. The approval for treating children with autism was based on two eight-week clinical trials that evaluated the drug vs. placebo in 156 children 5 to 16 years old. The results showed that children on Risperdal significantly improved in measures of irritability associated with autism compared with children who received the placebo. The most common side effects of Risperdal were drowsiness, constipation, fatigue, and weight gain.RJ <rahimab_98> wrote: I understand your concerns. My son started at 1 mg a day. He is now

at 1 mg -- 3x's a day. But I have to say.. i am honestly not sure what it is doing for him. He comes home and tries to spend ALL his time in the kitchen... opening and closing cabinets and banging them... Not responding at all to my redirection so I have tried ignoring the behavior. I tell you one thing.. he is trying to eat like crazy.. but i have been controlling it.. or at least trying like heck to do so.. Ehrlich <ehrlichmoptonline (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Everybody: My son's doctor keeps raising my son's Risperdal dosage. He is taking .5 in the morning and .25 in the evening. He wants to raise the evening dosage to .5. When does it become too high? I am scared? Never miss a thing. Make

Yahoo your homepage. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

ABA has helped him ALOT.. but it just shows that it is not a cure all.. he is doing this for a reason and he and teacher (s) are trying to figure out why.... pkuenstler@... wrote: I would have thought that ABA 5 times a week would have helped with the behavior, but sometimes it does take meds, at least for a while. Pat K**************The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. Go to AOL Music.(http://music.aol.com/grammys?NCID=aolcmp00300000002565)

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

Has anyone had success with Risperdal???

-----Original Message-----From: AutismBehaviorProblems [mailto:AutismBehaviorProblems ] On Behalf Of hopsalotnfrankeySent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:31 AMTo: AutismBehaviorProblems Subject: [sPAM]Re: Abilify

My son's psychiatrist told me that it takes Abilify about six weeks to reach it's full potentional. Although it's supposed to last all day, it works better with my son when he takes it in half doses three times a day. It doesn't help with hyperactivity, so Stattera was added (that has a build up time as well). They don't totally eliminate the behaviors. They do lessen them signficantly enough so that he functions better with them than without. I like that he's not drowsy and is still quite alert. A nurse told me that she found that Abilify gives her asperger patients a "third" way of seeing things. Since he has been on Abilify, he often tells me how much he loves me, how nice my hair looks, and how he can't survive without me. It's been a definite help in disposition.> Has anyone used abilify, and if so, what experience(s), good and bad have you had. Thanks.> > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.>

Guest guest

yes we are doing that and amandiden. Both of these help him really well. Ehrlich wrote: Has anyone had success with Risperdal??? -----Original Message-----From: AutismBehaviorProblems [mailto:AutismBehaviorProblems ] On Behalf Of hopsalotnfrankeySent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:31 AMTo: AutismBehaviorProblems Subject: [sPAM]Re: Abilify My son's psychiatrist told me that it takes Abilify about six weeks to reach it's full potentional. Although it's supposed to last all day, it works better with my son when he takes it in half doses three times a day. It doesn't help with hyperactivity, so Stattera was added (that has a build up time as well). They don't totally eliminate the behaviors. They do lessen them signficantly enough so that he functions better with them than without. I like that he's not drowsy and is still quite alert. A nurse told me that she found that Abilify gives her

asperger patients a "third" way of seeing things. Since he has been on Abilify, he often tells me how much he loves me, how nice my hair looks, and how he can't survive without me. It's been a definite help in disposition.> Has anyone

used abilify, and if so, what experience(s), good and bad have you had. Thanks.> > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

I was on Risperdal (1mg taken in half doses at lunchtime and bedtime) for 2

1/2 months in 2007. It worked fabulous the first two weeks, then seemed to

have stopped working. I used it for meltdowns caused by stress and sensory

overload, and the short time that it did work, it helped decrease my sensory

overstimulation and caused me to have significantly less tantrums. When it

stopped working, I did not want to go on a higher dose because of side

effects (drowsiness and sort of like panic attack symptoms). I am not on any

meds right now and don't think I'll likely use Risperdal again. By the way,

when used to treat autistic irritability (aggression, self-injury, tantrums

etc.), Risperdal is supposed to be effective after only a few days, as

opposed to when it's used for schizophrenia in which case it will take

several weeks to reach full effectiveness.

Astrid

astrid@...

http://www.astridvanwoerkom.com/

[sPAM]Re: Abilify

>

>

>

> My son's psychiatrist told me that it takes Abilify about six weeks

> to reach it's full potentional. Although it's supposed to last all

> day, it works better with my son when he takes it in half doses

> three times a day. It doesn't help with hyperactivity, so Stattera

> was added (that has a build up time as well). They don't totally

> eliminate the behaviors. They do lessen them signficantly enough so

> that he functions better with them than without. I like that he's

> not drowsy and is still quite alert. A nurse told me that she found

> that Abilify gives her asperger patients a " third " way of seeing

> things. Since he has been on Abilify, he often tells me how much he

> loves me, how nice my hair looks, and how he can't survive without

> me. It's been a definite help in disposition.

>

>

>> Has anyone used abilify, and if so, what experience

> (s), good and bad have you had. Thanks.

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> ---------------------------------

>> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I'm protected by SpamBrave

http://www.spambrave.com/