RemedySpot.com

Son antagonizes everyone

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm so frustrated- again. Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the worst.  He is so antagonistic.  He is 10 and has three younger siblings.  He takes great joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating them and throwing his weight around.  It's frustrating, makes for very difficult mornings, and it's getting old.

Once he has his meds (for ADHD) he calms down a bit, but he gets out of bed ready to take on the world- and not in a good way. He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he pretty much does whatever he wants.  We've tried everything- including things with the help of counselors and family advocates.  From reward systems to discipline strategies, he could care less.  He's motivated only by his will and will take the punishment to get his way.  He is argumentative, is always right, and never at fault.  He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize about how " blank " was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for hitting, or lying, or being mean.  He never sees it as his fault.  he can be the most difficult person to live with. I vacillate between being angry and feeling guilty and I'm tired. 

I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this.  I sometimes wonder if he's been misdiagnosed, or if there is more to the story than just ASD.  It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity.  He's not as aggressive as he used to be- which is helpful- he used to be abusive towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten older. 

We're at a loss.  A lot of the time we just tolerate him, or grit our teeth until he's either changed moods, gone to sleep, or has left for school.  I'm tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him.  -Let me just add- when he wants to be- he's an amazing kid.  Curious, bright, compassionate, funny, and helpful.  Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the least.  :(

Does anyone else experience this?  His personality takes over the family- we're either managing his behavior, correcting his behavior, or riding out the backlash from past behavior. It's not fair to the other kids.

I've rambled enough.  I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his room again after hitting his brother- for absolutely no reason. Anyone? thanks for listening. R

Guest guest

Hi, I too can relate on two counts, I was this way as a child and gave my parents a fit until I was finally asked to leave. I was 23 at the time of the asking. I am also raising a son who is 7, is just like I was. He has been diagnosed with ASD, I have Aspergers.  He defies me with everything I say.  His father has to step in because he doesn't see me as a threat, doesn't care if he pleases me, and only responds to harsh words from his father about consequences.  I have found one thing that helps me when his dad is not here, and that is " If you do not stop such and such, you will lose your game system for one week. "   This immediately gets an " OKAY! " response from him and a change in his attitude toward me.  I have not had to actually follow through yet with the punishment because he does stop whatever it was that caused the need for me having to issue that warning.  I dread the day he actually forces me to follow through, because he gets violent toward me, has tried to break my cell when I tell him I'm calling his father, punches me, attacks me and shows no sign of caring that he's upset me or hurt me in any way.  My oldest (18 yo son) has had to step in and hold him down to get him to calm down when he gets like that.  He has had these outbursts towards me since about 3 months old.  Yes, that young.  He would scream when I'd try to nurse him, so I ended up having to pump and put him on a bottle, I could not even hold him while he took his bottle. 

I realize what his issue is with me and I do not take it personally, but at times, it gets hard when I'm bruised or I've hurt my arm (old injury that gets worse when I have to restrain him).  I also dread the day when he gets too big for me to handle alone.  I pray this day never comes, but if it does, I will have to deal with that at that time. 

I cannot threaten to spank him, as it makes his attacks worse. If I tell him to go to his room, he defies me and will not go, and I am not strong enough to drag him up there, so that is when I have had to pull out the taking away the game system punishment.  It works for now.

I've talked to his Occ. therapist about this issue, and she has had conversations with him about his need to " do as mom says " even if he doesn't want to.  It hasn't really made a difference, not that I can see. 

I think my reason for not losing my mind over this issue is because I know what it's like to be defiant against a mother, and the feelings inside, and the fact that it truly isn't about hatred toward the mother figure, so I don't take it to heart when he tells me he hates me.  I know that he means he is mad at me and it comes out in those words.  I have had that conversation with him, and have told him that it makes me sad when he tells me he hates me when he's really mad at me. He tells me when he's okay with me that he loves me, but when he is in the midst of an outburst, those words flow freely from his lips, and I work very hard on not responding to them and keep in mind that it's anger not true hatred, and that is how it verbalizes it.  He has told me he doesn't really  hate me, but doesn't know what else to say when he's mad, I told him, just say Mamma I am mad at you instead of using the word hate, but he knows that word upsets me the most, so he uses it to try to get a reaction from me, and I am learning NOT to react to it when he says it. 

Ashton (Aspie mom with 2 Autie sons)

I'm so frustrated- again. Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the worst.  He is so antagonistic.  He is 10 and has three younger siblings.  He takes great joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating them and throwing his weight around.  It's frustrating, makes for very difficult mornings, and it's getting old.

Once he has his meds (for ADHD) he calms down a bit, but he gets out of bed ready to take on the world- and not in a good way. He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he pretty much does whatever he wants.  We've tried everything- including things with the help of counselors and family advocates.  From reward systems to discipline strategies, he could care less.  He's motivated only by his will and will take the punishment to get his way.  He is argumentative, is always right, and never at fault.  He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize about how " blank " was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for hitting, or lying, or being mean.  He never sees it as his fault.  he can be the most difficult person to live with. I vacillate between being angry and feeling guilty and I'm tired. 

I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this.  I sometimes wonder if he's been misdiagnosed, or if there is more to the story than just ASD.  It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity.  He's not as aggressive as he used to be- which is helpful- he used to be abusive towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten older. 

We're at a loss.  A lot of the time we just tolerate him, or grit our teeth until he's either changed moods, gone to sleep, or has left for school.  I'm tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him.  -Let me just add- when he wants to be- he's an amazing kid.  Curious, bright, compassionate, funny, and helpful.  Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the least.  :(

Does anyone else experience this?  His personality takes over the family- we're either managing his behavior, correcting his behavior, or riding out the backlash from past behavior. It's not fair to the other kids.

I've rambled enough.  I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his room again after hitting his brother- for absolutely no reason. Anyone? thanks for listening. R

Guest guest

could your son possibily have fetal alcohol? I have a 13 year old son (adopted) that sounds just like your son. A year and a half ago he was diagnosed with fetal alcohol. He still has his moments even though he is on medication for adhd and mood issues. Recently I noticed that after eating anything with red dye or pop he becomes more aggressive and extrememly irriated with anyone and everything. He is our one child that will need constant supervision as to where he is.LouiseTo: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers >Sent: Sun, April 15, 2012 9:49:45 AMSubject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your frustration as my 13yr. old son is exactly the same. I have 4 children as well, 3 of which are on the spectrum. The oldest tends to be most aggressive, though its often after being provoked by my 13 year old. At times even though he is difficult he can be very sensitive, and kind. Actually I have hope that eventually the behavior will mellow or that he find some work that will have minimal contact with others. My eldest child is very gullible, and has great difficulty relating to peers on an appropriate age level, doing better with younger children. I am sorry I do not have an answer for you, except to say your not alone. Please feel free to write to me if you just need to vent. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:19 AM Subject: Son antagonizes everyone

I'm so frustrated- again. Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the worst. He is so antagonistic. He is 10 and has three younger siblings. He takes great joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating them and throwing his weight around. It's frustrating, makes for very difficult mornings, and it's getting old.

Once he has his meds (for ADHD) he calms down a bit, but he gets out of bed ready to take on the world- and not in a good way. He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he pretty much does whatever he wants. We've tried everything- including things with the help of counselors and family advocates. From reward systems to discipline strategies, he could care less. He's motivated only by his will and will take the punishment to get his way. He is argumentative, is always right, and never at fault. He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize about how "blank" was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for hitting, or lying, or being mean. He never sees it as his fault. he can be the most difficult person to live with. I vacillate between being angry and feeling guilty and I'm tired.

I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this. I sometimes wonder if he's been misdiagnosed, or if there is more to the story than just ASD. It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity. He's not as aggressive as he used to be- which is helpful- he used to be abusive towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten older.

We're at a loss. A lot of the time we just tolerate him, or grit our teeth until he's either changed moods, gone to sleep, or has left for school. I'm tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him. -Let me just add- when he wants to be- he's an amazing kid. Curious, bright, compassionate, funny, and helpful. Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the least. :(

Does anyone else experience this? His personality takes over the family- we're either managing his behavior, correcting his behavior, or riding out the backlash from past behavior. It's not fair to the other kids.

I've rambled enough. I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his room again after hitting his brother- for absolutely no reason. Anyone? thanks for listening. R

Guest guest

Look at this link.

http://www.dsm5.org/proposedrevisions/pages/proposedrevision.aspx?rid=397

It's a new proposed diagnosis for pediatric bipolar. My son was diagnosed with

pediatric bipolar and I didn't think it quite fit, but medication that came with

the diagnosis has been a huge benefit, whatever the diagnosis. But this new

diagnosis describes my son very well. The difference between this and pediatric

bipolar is the bipolar has tended to grow up to NOT be bipolar as adults, they

grow up to be depressed. Either way, you might ask the doctor about bipolar,

because they can't give the new diagnosis yet, but bipolar treatment has turned

our home around, and my child says he can finally control his temper. Says he

never wanted to act the way he used to, but now he can control himself and is

very pleased with the changes. I am too. And he kept the Aspergers diagnosis--

this is a common co-morbid condition.

>

> could your son possibily have fetal alcohol? I have a 13 year old son

(adopted)

> that sounds just like your son. A year and a half ago he was diagnosed with

> fetal alcohol. He still has his moments even though he is on medication for

> adhd and mood issues. Recently I noticed that after eating anything with red

> dye or pop he becomes more aggressive and extrememly irriated with anyone and

> everything. He is our one child that will need constant supervision as to

> where he is.

>

> Louise

>

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

>

> To: " autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers >

> Sent: Sun, April 15, 2012 9:49:45 AM

> Subject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

>

>

> Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your frustration as

> my 13yr. old son is exactly the same. I have 4 children as well, 3 of which

are

> on the spectrum. The oldest tends to be most aggressive, though its often

after

> being provoked by my 13 year old. At times even though he is difficult he can

be

> very sensitive, and kind. Actually I have hope that eventually the behavior

will

> mellow or that he find some work that will have minimal contact with others.

My

> eldest child is very gullible, and has great difficulty relating to peers on

an

> appropriate age level, doing better with younger children. I am sorry I do not

> have an answer for you, except to say your not alone. Please feel free to

write

> to me if you just need to vent.

>

>

>

> To: autism-aspergers

> Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:19 AM

> Subject: Son antagonizes everyone

>

>

>

> I'm so frustrated- again.

> Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the worst.

> He is so antagonistic. He is 10 and has three younger siblings. He takes

great

> joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating them and

> throwing his weight around. It's frustrating, makes for very difficult

> mornings, and it's getting old.

>

> Once he has his meds (for ADHD) he calms down a bit, but he gets out of bed

> ready to take on the world- and not in a good way.

>

>

> He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he

pretty

> much does whatever he wants. We've tried everything- including things with

the

> help of counselors and family advocates. From reward systems to discipline

> strategies, he could care less. He's motivated only by his will and will take

> the punishment to get his way. He is argumentative, is always right, and

never

> at fault. He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize about

> how " blank " was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for hitting, or

> lying, or being mean. He never sees it as his fault. he can be the most

> difficult person to live with. I vacillate between being angry and feeling

> guilty and I'm tired.

>

>

> I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this. I sometimes

> wonder if he's been misdiagnosed, or if there is more to the story than just

> ASD. It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity.

He's

> not as aggressive as he used to be- which is helpful- he used to be abusive

> towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten

older.

>

>

> We're at a loss. A lot of the time we just tolerate him, or grit our teeth

> until he's either changed moods, gone to sleep, or has left for school. I'm

> tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him. -Let me just

add-

> when he wants to be- he's an amazing kid. Curious, bright, compassionate,

> funny, and helpful. Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the least.

> :(

>

>

> Does anyone else experience this? His personality takes over the family-

we're

> either managing his behavior, correcting his behavior, or riding out the

> backlash from past behavior. It's not fair to the other kids.

>

>

> I've rambled enough. I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his room

> again after hitting his brother- for absolutely no reason.

>

>

> Anyone?

> thanks for listening.

> R

>

>

>

>

>

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

>

Guest guest

no.  he couldn't have FA.  However, interesting that you mention the dyes- we did the feingold diet several years ago, and the one thing we've stuck to is NO food dyes.  I can totally tell if he's had dye through his behavior.  it's crazy. 

could your son possibily have fetal alcohol?  I have a 13 year old son (adopted) that sounds just like your son.  A year and a half ago he was diagnosed with fetal alcohol.  He still has his moments even though he is on medication for adhd and mood issues.  Recently I noticed that after eating anything with red dye or pop he becomes more aggressive and extrememly irriated with anyone and everything.   He is our one child that will need constant supervision as to where he is.

Louise

To: " autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers >

Sent: Sun, April 15, 2012 9:49:45 AMSubject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your frustration as my 13yr. old son is exactly the same. I have 4 children as well, 3 of which are on the spectrum. The oldest tends to be most aggressive, though its often after being provoked by my 13 year old. At times even though he is difficult he can be very sensitive, and kind. Actually I have hope that eventually the behavior will mellow or that he find some work that will have minimal contact with others. My eldest child is very gullible, and has great difficulty relating to peers on an appropriate age level, doing better with younger children. I am sorry I do not have an answer for you, except to say your not alone. Please feel free to write to me if you just need to vent. 

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:19 AM

Subject: Son antagonizes everyone

Guest guest

What med is related to this bipolorness? that you couldn't get w/ just an ASD or ADHD dx? To: autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:54 PM Subject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

Look at this link. http://www.dsm5.org/proposedrevisions/pages/proposedrevision.aspx?rid=397

It's a new proposed diagnosis for pediatric bipolar. My son was diagnosed with pediatric bipolar and I didn't think it quite fit, but medication that came with the diagnosis has been a huge benefit, whatever the diagnosis. But this new diagnosis describes my son very well. The difference between this and pediatric bipolar is the bipolar has tended to grow up to NOT be bipolar as adults, they grow up to be depressed. Either way, you might ask the doctor about bipolar, because they can't give the new diagnosis yet, but bipolar treatment has turned our home around, and my child says he can finally control his temper. Says he never wanted to act the way he used to, but now he can control himself and is very pleased with the changes. I am too. And he kept the Aspergers diagnosis-- this is a common co-morbid condition.

>

> could your son possibily have fetal alcohol? I have a 13 year old son (adopted)

> that sounds just like your son. A year and a half ago he was diagnosed with

> fetal alcohol. He still has his moments even though he is on medication for

> adhd and mood issues. Recently I noticed that after eating anything with red

> dye or pop he becomes more aggressive and extrememly irriated with anyone and

> everything. He is our one child that will need constant supervision as to

> where he is.

>

> Louise

>

>

>

>

>

>

> To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers >

> Sent: Sun, April 15, 2012 9:49:45 AM

> Subject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

>

>

> Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your frustration as

> my 13yr. old son is exactly the same. I have 4 children as well, 3 of which are

> on the spectrum. The oldest tends to be most aggressive, though its often after

> being provoked by my 13 year old. At times even though he is difficult he can be

> very sensitive, and kind. Actually I have hope that eventually the behavior will

> mellow or that he find some work that will have minimal contact with others. My

> eldest child is very gullible, and has great difficulty relating to peers on an

> appropriate age level, doing better with younger children. I am sorry I do not

> have an answer for you, except to say your not alone. Please feel free to write

> to me if you just need to vent.

>

>

>

> To: autism-aspergers

> Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:19 AM

> Subject: Son antagonizes everyone

>

>

>

> I'm so frustrated- again.

> Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the worst.

> He is so antagonistic. He is 10 and has three younger siblings. He takes great

> joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating them and

> throwing his weight around. It's frustrating, makes for very difficult

> mornings, and it's getting old.

>

> Once he has his meds (for ADHD) he calms down a bit, but he gets out of bed

> ready to take on the world- and not in a good way.

>

>

> He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he pretty

> much does whatever he wants. We've tried everything- including things with the

> help of counselors and family advocates. From reward systems to discipline

> strategies, he could care less. He's motivated only by his will and will take

> the punishment to get his way. He is argumentative, is always right, and never

> at fault. He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize about

> how "blank" was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for hitting, or

> lying, or being mean. He never sees it as his fault. he can be the most

> difficult person to live with. I vacillate between being angry and feeling

> guilty and I'm tired.

>

>

> I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this. I sometimes

> wonder if he's been misdiagnosed, or if there is more to the story than just

> ASD. It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity. He's

> not as aggressive as he used to be- which is helpful- he used to be abusive

> towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten older.

>

>

> We're at a loss. A lot of the time we just tolerate him, or grit our teeth

> until he's either changed moods, gone to sleep, or has left for school. I'm

> tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him. -Let me just add-

> when he wants to be- he's an amazing kid. Curious, bright, compassionate,

> funny, and helpful. Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the least.

> :(

>

>

> Does anyone else experience this? His personality takes over the family- we're

> either managing his behavior, correcting his behavior, or riding out the

> backlash from past behavior. It's not fair to the other kids.

>

>

> I've rambled enough. I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his room

> again after hitting his brother- for absolutely no reason.

>

>

> Anyone?

> thanks for listening.

> R

>

>

>

>

>

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

>

Guest guest

My nine, almost ten, year old son is exactly the same way. I cringe until the ADHD medicine kicks in. You are a great mom, don't take any of it personally (like that is even close to being easy to do!). If you want the advice, which I am only giving because it worked for me to make the morning easier, is to give my son his ADHD medicine about 10 to 15 minutes before he actually wakes up in the morning. I rouse him enough to take the pill, then tell him I will be back in 10 minutes to wake him up for the day (which helps with the transition) and when I return to wake him he is usually just as big of a bear as always, but by the time he has had his breakfast he is the sweet kid I know he can be. The ADHD medicine helps him control his outbursts, both physically and verbally at me, while they may still occur, they

are less intense than they use to be. Sometimes in the mornings, after I got my son out of bed, I used to go hide in the garage and cry, unable to conceive that I created this little monster who wanted nothing but to be hurtful and mean. I would cry until I got to work, feeling as if I had already lived a day before I stepped into the office. Hang in there, I wish I had a cure for all of this. I wish their brains could just calm enough to take in the world without reacting, but until that magic cure comes along, I am glad that I still have a lawn chair in the garage for "those really trying times."~Carly (Minnesota)Mom to Sammy, ASD, ADHD, Depression, 4th Grade To: autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:22 PM Subject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

no. he couldn't have FA. However, interesting that you mention the dyes- we did the feingold diet several years ago, and the one thing we've stuck to is NO food dyes. I can totally tell if he's had dye through his behavior. it's crazy.

could your son possibily have fetal alcohol? I have a 13 year old son (adopted) that sounds just like your son. A year and a half ago he was diagnosed with fetal alcohol. He still has his moments even though he is on medication for adhd and mood issues. Recently I noticed that after eating anything with red dye or pop he becomes more aggressive and extrememly irriated with anyone and everything. He is our one child that will need constant supervision as to where he is.

Louise

To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers >

Sent: Sun, April 15, 2012 9:49:45 AMSubject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your frustration as my 13yr. old son is exactly the same. I have 4 children as well, 3 of which are on the spectrum. The oldest tends to be most aggressive, though its often after being provoked by my 13 year old. At times even though he is difficult he can be very sensitive, and kind. Actually I have hope that eventually the behavior will mellow or that he find some work that will have minimal contact with others. My eldest child is very gullible, and has great difficulty relating to peers on an appropriate age level, doing better with younger children. I am sorry I do not have an answer for you, except to say your not alone. Please feel free to write to me if you just need to vent.

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:19 AM

Subject: Son antagonizes everyone

I'm so frustrated- again. Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the worst. He is so antagonistic. He is 10 and has three younger siblings. He takes great joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating them and throwing his weight around. It's frustrating, makes for very difficult mornings, and it's getting old.

Once he has his meds (for ADHD) he calms down a bit, but he gets out of bed ready to take on the world- and not in a good way. He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he pretty much does whatever he wants. We've tried everything- including things with the help of counselors and family advocates. From reward systems to discipline strategies, he could care less. He's motivated only by his will and will take the punishment to get his way. He is argumentative, is always right, and never at fault. He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize about how "blank" was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for hitting, or lying, or being mean. He never sees it as his fault. he can be the most difficult person to live with. I vacillate between being angry and feeling guilty and I'm tired.

I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this. I sometimes wonder if he's been misdiagnosed, or if there is more to the story than just ASD. It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity. He's not as aggressive as he used to be- which is helpful- he used to be abusive towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten older.

We're at a loss. A lot of the time we just tolerate him, or grit our teeth until he's either changed moods, gone to sleep, or has left for school. I'm tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him. -Let me just add- when he wants to be- he's an amazing kid. Curious, bright, compassionate, funny, and helpful. Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the least. :(

Does anyone else experience this? His personality takes over the family- we're either managing his behavior, correcting his behavior, or riding out the backlash from past behavior. It's not fair to the other kids.

I've rambled enough. I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his room again after hitting his brother- for absolutely no reason. Anyone? thanks for listening. R

Guest guest

I just want to encourage you to try different meds. We were using straight up

Ritalin and it made my son aggressive. We tried Metadate (time release ritalin)

and it was better, but we kept having to up and up the dose and added Tennex to

it, but he was getting too hyper focused. Then, switched to Vyvanse (which is

still a stimulant, but just a little different) and it's been wonderful. Much

more smooth and longer lasting and we found we could even lower the equivalent

dose. Plus, it dissolves in water so it's super easy to get my little guy to

take it.

Whatever you do, don't put up with where you're at. Ask for help from your dev

ped or someone else and do something. You shouldn't have to just live through

it. <<<Hugs!>>>

Guest guest

For about the first 8 years of school, the time from when my son got

up at about 7:30 until he left for school at 9:00 was the longest

part of the day - at least 75% of it.  By the time he left, I needed

half an hour or more to recover.  It still gets a bit stressful, but

is much better than it was.  Once I get him up, he can handle the

rest.  We just know not to talk to him for half an hour.

My nine, almost ten, year old

son is exactly the same way. I cringe until the ADHD

medicine kicks in. You are a great mom, don't take

any of it personally (like that is even close to

being easy to do!). If you want the advice, which I

am only giving because it worked for me to make the

morning easier, is to give my son his ADHD medicine

about 10 to 15 minutes before he actually wakes up

in the morning. I rouse him enough to take the pill,

then tell him I will be back in 10 minutes to wake

him up for the day (which helps with the transition)

and when I return to wake him he is usually just as

big of a bear as always, but by the time he has had

his breakfast he is the sweet kid I know he can be.

The ADHD medicine helps him control his outbursts,

both physically and verbally at me, while they may

still occur, they are less intense than they use to

be. 

Sometimes in the mornings, after

I got my son out of bed, I used to go hide in the

garage and cry, unable to conceive that I created

this little monster who wanted nothing but to be

hurtful and mean. I would cry until I got to work,

feeling as if I had already lived a day before I

stepped into the office. Hang in there, I wish I had

a cure for all of this. I wish their brains could

just calm enough to take in the world without

reacting, but until that magic cure comes along, I

am glad that I still have a lawn chair in the garage

for "those really trying times."

~Carly (Minnesota)

Mom to Sammy, ASD, ADHD,

Depression, 4th Grade

Ristau

To:

autism-aspergers

Sent:

Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:22 PM

Subject:

Re: Son antagonizes everyone

no.  he couldn't have FA.  However,

interesting that you mention the dyes- we did

the feingold diet several years ago, and the

one thing we've stuck to is NO food dyes.  I

can totally tell if he's had dye through his

behavior.  it's crazy. 

On Sun, Apr

15, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Louise Harmala

wrote:

could your

son possibily have fetal alcohol? 

I have a 13 year old son (adopted)

that sounds just like your son.  A

year and a half ago he was

diagnosed with fetal alcohol.  He

still has his moments even though

he is on medication for adhd and

mood issues.  Recently I noticed

that after eating anything with

red dye or pop he becomes more

aggressive and extrememly irriated

with anyone and everything.   He

is our one child that will need

constant supervision as to where

he is.

Louise

Durko

To:

"autism-aspergers "

<autism-aspergers >

Sent:

Sun, April 15, 2012 9:49:45

AM

Subject:

Re: Son

antagonizes everyone

Hi, I am

sorry you are

going through

this. I can relate

to your

frustration as my

13yr. old son is

exactly the same.

I have 4 children

as well, 3 of

which are on the

spectrum. The

oldest tends to be

most aggressive,

though its often

after being

provoked by my 13

year old. At times

even though he is

difficult he can

be very sensitive,

and kind. Actually

I have hope that

eventually the

behavior will

mellow or that he

find some work

that will have

minimal contact

with others. My

eldest child is

very gullible, and

has great

difficulty

relating to peers

on an appropriate

age level, doing

better with

younger children.

I am sorry I do

not have an answer

for you, except to

say your not

alone. Please feel

free to write to

me if you just

need to vent. 

Ristau

To:

autism-aspergers

Sent:

Sunday, April

15, 2012 9:19

AM

Subject:

Son

antagonizes

everyone

I'm so

frustrated-

again.

Mostly because

it's morning.

And the

morning is

when my son

can be the

worst.  He is

so

antagonistic. 

He is 10 and

has three

younger

siblings.  He

takes great

joy in

needling them,

teasing them,

often chasing

then,

intimidating

them and

throwing his

weight

around.  It's

frustrating,

makes for very

difficult

mornings, and

it's getting

old.

Once he has

his meds (for

ADHD) he calms

down a bit,

but he gets

out of bed

ready to take

on the world-

and not in a

good way.

He is an

incredibly

difficult

child to

parent- for

the mere fact

that he pretty

much does

whatever he

wants.  We've

tried

everything-

including

things with

the help of

counselors and

family

advocates. 

From reward

systems to

discipline

strategies, he

could care

less.  He's

motivated only

by his will

and will take

the punishment

to get his

way.  He is

argumentative,

is always

right, and

never at

fault.  He

often retreats

into his room

to cry and

sulk and

vocalize about

how "blank"

was a huge

injustice-

even if he was

disciplined

for hitting,

or lying, or

being mean. 

He never sees

it as his

fault.  he can

be the most

difficult

person to live

with. I

vacillate

between being

angry and

feeling guilty

and I'm

tired. 

I read so much

about

aspergers and

don't see a

whole lot of

this.  I

sometimes

wonder if he's

been

misdiagnosed,

or if there is

more to the

story than

just ASD. 

It's not

quirks and

difficulty

socializing,

it's full on

intensity. 

He's not as

aggressive as

he used to be-

which is

helpful- he

used to be

abusive

towards me and

his younger

brother- but

that has

subsided as

he's gotten

older. 

We're at a

loss.  A lot

of the time we

just tolerate

him, or grit

our teeth

until he's

either changed

moods, gone to

sleep, or has

left for

school.  I'm

tired of

surviving my

son, and want

to more easily

enjoy him. 

-Let me just

add- when he

wants to be-

he's an

amazing kid. 

Curious,

bright,

compassionate,

funny, and

helpful. 

Sadly, these

traits are the

ones that come

out the

least.  :(

Does anyone

else

experience

this?  His

personality

takes over the

family- we're

either

managing his

behavior,

correcting his

behavior, or

riding out the

backlash from

past behavior.

It's not fair

to the other

kids.

I've rambled

enough.  I'm

just

frustrated

once again

because he's

in his room

again after

hitting his

brother- for

absolutely no

reason.

Anyone?

thanks for

listening.

R

No virus

found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2411/4939 - Release Date:

04/15/12

Guest guest

I have a FAS'er as well and I was thinking the same thing. Myke To: autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday,

April 15, 2012 6:46 PM Subject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

could your son possibily have fetal alcohol? I have a 13 year old son (adopted) that sounds just like your son. A year and a half ago he was diagnosed with fetal alcohol. He still has his moments even though he is on medication for adhd and mood issues. Recently I noticed that after eating anything with red dye or pop he becomes more aggressive and extrememly irriated with anyone and everything. He is our one child that will need constant supervision as to where he is.LouiseTo: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers >Sent: Sun, April 15, 2012 9:49:45 AMSubject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your frustration as my 13yr. old son is exactly the same. I have 4 children as well, 3 of which are on the spectrum. The oldest tends to be most aggressive, though its often after being provoked by my 13 year old. At times even though he is difficult he can be very sensitive, and kind. Actually I have hope that eventually the behavior will mellow or that he find some work that will have minimal contact with others. My eldest child is very gullible, and has great difficulty relating to peers on an appropriate age level, doing better with younger children. I am sorry I do not have an answer for you, except to say your not alone. Please feel free to write to me if you just need to vent. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:19 AM Subject: Son antagonizes everyone

Guest guest

In our case he is on Prozac and Abilify. I don't know if you can get those with

the other diagnoses. We never did.

> >

> > could your son possibily have fetal alcohol? I have a 13 year old son

(adopted)

> > that sounds just like your son. A year and a half ago he was diagnosed with

> > fetal alcohol. He still has his moments even though he is on medication for

> > adhd and mood issues. Recently I noticed that after eating anything with

red

> > dye or pop he becomes more aggressive and extrememly irriated with anyone

and

> > everything. He is our one child that will need constant supervision as to

> > where he is.

> >

> > Louise

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ________________________________

> > From: Durko <roseemerald66@>

> > To: " autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers >

> > Sent: Sun, April 15, 2012 9:49:45 AM

> > Subject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

> >

> >

> > Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your frustration

as

> > my 13yr. old son is exactly the same. I have 4 children as well, 3 of which

are

> > on the spectrum. The oldest tends to be most aggressive, though its often

after

> > being provoked by my 13 year old. At times even though he is difficult he

can be

> > very sensitive, and kind. Actually I have hope that eventually the behavior

will

> > mellow or that he find some work that will have minimal contact with others.

My

> > eldest child is very gullible, and has great difficulty relating to peers on

an

> > appropriate age level, doing better with younger children. I am sorry I do

not

> > have an answer for you, except to say your not alone. Please feel free to

write

> > to me if you just need to vent.

> >

> >

> > From: Ristau <2boyzmama@>

> > To: autism-aspergers

> > Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:19 AM

> > Subject: Son antagonizes everyone

> >

> >

> >

> > I'm so frustrated- again.

> > Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the

worst.

> > He is so antagonistic. He is 10 and has three younger siblings. He takes

great

> > joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating them

and

> > throwing his weight around. It's frustrating, makes for very difficult

> > mornings, and it's getting old.

> >

> > Once he has his meds (for ADHD) he calms down a bit, but he gets out of bed

> > ready to take on the world- and not in a good way.

> >

> >

> > He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he

pretty

> > much does whatever he wants. We've tried everything- including things with

the

> > help of counselors and family advocates. From reward systems to discipline

> > strategies, he could care less. He's motivated only by his will and will

take

> > the punishment to get his way. He is argumentative, is always right, and

never

> > at fault. He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize

about

> > how " blank " was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for hitting, or

> > lying, or being mean. He never sees it as his fault. he can be the most

> > difficult person to live with. I vacillate between being angry and feeling

> > guilty and I'm tired.

> >

> >

> > I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this. I

sometimes

> > wonder if he's been misdiagnosed, or if there is more to the story than just

> > ASD. It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity.

He's

> > not as aggressive as he used to be- which is helpful- he used to be abusive

> > towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten

older.

> >

> >

> > We're at a loss. A lot of the time we just tolerate him, or grit our teeth

> > until he's either changed moods, gone to sleep, or has left for school. I'm

> > tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him. -Let me just

add-

> > when he wants to be- he's an amazing kid. Curious, bright, compassionate,

> > funny, and helpful. Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the

least.

> > :(

> >

> >

> > Does anyone else experience this? His personality takes over the family-

we're

> > either managing his behavior, correcting his behavior, or riding out the

> > backlash from past behavior. It's not fair to the other kids.

> >

> >

> > I've rambled enough. I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his

room

> > again after hitting his brother- for absolutely no reason.

> >

> >

> > Anyone?

> > thanks for listening.

> > R

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> >

>

Guest guest

Glad I'm not the only one that literally can't stand my son until maybe 930! We homeschool and so we don't start school until he's regulated on his meds (they've kicked in). To: autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:39 PM Subject: Re:

Son antagonizes everyone

part of the day - at least 75% of it. By the time he left, I needed

half an hour or more to recover. It still gets a bit stressful, but

is much better than it was. Once I get him up, he can handle the

rest. We just know not to talk to him for half an hour.

still occur, they are less intense than they use to

be.

~Carly (Minnesota)

Mom to Sammy, ASD, ADHD,

Depression, 4th Grade

Ristau

To:

autism-aspergers

Sent:

Subject:

no. he couldn't have FA. However,

one thing we've stuck to is NO food dyes. I

behavior. it's crazy.

On Sun, Apr

wrote:

could your

that sounds just like your son. A

diagnosed with fetal alcohol. He

mood issues. Recently I noticed

with anyone and everything. He

he is.

Louise

Durko

To:

"autism-aspergers "

<autism-aspergers >

Sent:

AM

Subject:

antagonizes everyone

Hi, I am

sorry you are

going through

this. I can relate

to your

frustration as my

13yr. old son is

exactly the same.

I have 4 children

as well, 3 of

which are on the

spectrum. The

oldest tends to be

most aggressive,

though its often

after being

provoked by my 13

year old. At times

even though he is

difficult he can

be very sensitive,

and kind. Actually

I have hope that

eventually the

behavior will

mellow or that he

find some work

that will have

minimal contact

with others. My

eldest child is

very gullible, and

has great

difficulty

relating to peers

on an appropriate

age level, doing

better with

younger children.

I am sorry I do

not have an answer

for you, except to

say your not

alone. Please feel

free to write to

me if you just

need to vent.

Ristau

To:

autism-aspergers

Sent:

Sunday, April

AM

Subject:

Son

antagonizes

everyone

I'm so

frustrated-

again.

Mostly because

it's morning.

And the

morning is

when my son

can be the

worst. He is

so

antagonistic.

He is 10 and

has three

younger

siblings. He

takes great

joy in

needling them,

teasing them,

often chasing

then,

intimidating

them and

throwing his

weight

around. It's

frustrating,

makes for very

difficult

mornings, and

it's getting

old.

Once he has

his meds (for

ADHD) he calms

down a bit,

but he gets

out of bed

ready to take

on the world-

and not in a

good way.

He is an

incredibly

difficult

child to

parent- for

the mere fact

that he pretty

much does

whatever he

wants. We've

tried

everything-

including

things with

the help of

counselors and

family

advocates.

From reward

systems to

discipline

strategies, he

could care

less. He's

motivated only

by his will

and will take

the punishment

to get his

way. He is

argumentative,

is always

right, and

never at

fault. He

often retreats

into his room

to cry and

sulk and

vocalize about

how "blank"

was a huge

injustice-

even if he was

disciplined

for hitting,

or lying, or

being mean.

He never sees

it as his

fault. he can

be the most

difficult

person to live

with. I

vacillate

between being

angry and

feeling guilty

and I'm

tired.

I read so much

about

aspergers and

don't see a

whole lot of

this. I

sometimes

wonder if he's

been

misdiagnosed,

or if there is

more to the

story than

just ASD.

It's not

quirks and

difficulty

socializing,

it's full on

intensity.

He's not as

aggressive as

he used to be-

which is

helpful- he

used to be

abusive

towards me and

his younger

brother- but

that has

subsided as

he's gotten

older.

We're at a

loss. A lot

of the time we

just tolerate

him, or grit

our teeth

until he's

either changed

moods, gone to

sleep, or has

left for

school. I'm

tired of

surviving my

son, and want

to more easily

enjoy him.

-Let me just

add- when he

wants to be-

he's an

amazing kid.

Curious,

bright,

compassionate,

funny, and

helpful.

Sadly, these

traits are the

ones that come

out the

least. :(

Does anyone

else

experience

this? His

personality

takes over the

family- we're

either

managing his

behavior,

correcting his

behavior, or

riding out the

backlash from

past behavior.

It's not fair

to the other

kids.

I've rambled

enough. I'm

just

frustrated

once again

because he's

in his room

again after

hitting his

brother- for

absolutely no

reason.

Anyone?

thanks for

listening.

R

No virus

found in this message.

04/15/12

Guest guest

My son's behavior is different, but still upsetting to the household. He takes

a set of medications in the a.m. each for a different purpose and then a single

medicine at night. I'm not familiar with " just " ADHD that is treated for the

school day, can he take an additional dose for the overnight or is that not

workable?

Guest guest

My son is twenty six years and is still playing the blame games. That ability to have empathy just isn't there. My dentist has a nephew with AS and he said he'd kill him if he could. We all know he doesn't mean that. We think things to ourself that we would never say to another person. These children didn't ask for this. Nor did their parents. I not only fight the AS but have to attend AL-ANON meetings, which I hate. Even though he hasbeen sober for over a year, I'm always waiting for the foot to drop. Typical re-hab centers have no clue about his AS. So no matter ho much counseling he got in re-hab, it's basically a one size fits all therapy. To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:43 PM Subject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

Glad I'm not the only one that literally can't stand my son until maybe 930! We homeschool and so we don't start school until he's regulated on his meds (they've kicked in). To:

autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:39 PM Subject: Re:

Son antagonizes everyone

part of the day - at least 75% of it. By the time he left, I needed

half an hour or more to recover. It still gets a bit stressful, but

is much better than it was. Once I get him up, he can handle the

rest. We just know not to talk to him for half an hour.

still occur, they are less intense than they use to

be.

~Carly (Minnesota)

Mom to Sammy, ASD, ADHD,

Depression, 4th Grade

Ristau

To:

autism-aspergers

Sent:

Subject:

no. he couldn't have FA. However,

one thing we've stuck to is NO food dyes. I

behavior. it's crazy.

On Sun, Apr

wrote:

could your

that sounds just like your son. A

diagnosed with fetal alcohol. He

mood issues. Recently I noticed

with anyone and everything. He

he is.

Louise

Durko

To:

"autism-aspergers "

<autism-aspergers >

Sent:

AM

Subject:

antagonizes everyone

Hi, I am

sorry you are

going through

this. I can relate

to your

frustration as my

13yr. old son is

exactly the same.

I have 4 children

as well, 3 of

which are on the

spectrum. The

oldest tends to be

most aggressive,

though its often

after being

provoked by my 13

year old. At times

even though he is

difficult he can

be very sensitive,

and kind. Actually

I have hope that

eventually the

behavior will

mellow or that he

find some work

that will have

minimal contact

with others. My

eldest child is

very gullible, and

has great

difficulty

relating to peers

on an appropriate

age level, doing

better with

younger children.

I am sorry I do

not have an answer

for you, except to

say your not

alone. Please feel

free to write to

me if you just

need to vent.

Ristau

To:

autism-aspergers

Sent:

Sunday, April

AM

Subject:

Son

antagonizes

everyone

I'm so

frustrated-

again.

Mostly because

it's morning.

And the

morning is

when my son

can be the

worst. He is

so

antagonistic.

He is 10 and

has three

younger

siblings. He

takes great

joy in

needling them,

teasing them,

often chasing

then,

intimidating

them and

throwing his

weight

around. It's

frustrating,

makes for very

difficult

mornings, and

it's getting

old.

Once he has

his meds (for

ADHD) he calms

down a bit,

but he gets

out of bed

ready to take

on the world-

and not in a

good way.

He is an

incredibly

difficult

child to

parent- for

the mere fact

that he pretty

much does

whatever he

wants. We've

tried

everything-

including

things with

the help of

counselors and

family

advocates.

From reward

systems to

discipline

strategies, he

could care

less. He's

motivated only

by his will

and will take

the punishment

to get his

way. He is

argumentative,

is always

right, and

never at

fault. He

often retreats

into his room

to cry and

sulk and

vocalize about

how "blank"

was a huge

injustice-

even if he was

disciplined

for hitting,

or lying, or

being mean.

He never sees

it as his

fault. he can

be the most

difficult

person to live

with. I

vacillate

between being

angry and

feeling guilty

and I'm

tired.

I read so much

about

aspergers and

don't see a

whole lot of

this. I

sometimes

wonder if he's

been

misdiagnosed,

or if there is

more to the

story than

just ASD.

It's not

quirks and

difficulty

socializing,

it's full on

intensity.

He's not as

aggressive as

he used to be-

which is

helpful- he

used to be

abusive

towards me and

his younger

brother- but

that has

subsided as

he's gotten

older.

We're at a

loss. A lot

of the time we

just tolerate

him, or grit

our teeth

until he's

either changed

moods, gone to

sleep, or has

left for

school. I'm

tired of

surviving my

son, and want

to more easily

enjoy him.

-Let me just

add- when he

wants to be-

he's an

amazing kid.

Curious,

bright,

compassionate,

funny, and

helpful.

Sadly, these

traits are the

ones that come

out the

least. :(

Does anyone

else

experience

this? His

personality

takes over the

family- we're

either

managing his

behavior,

correcting his

behavior, or

riding out the

backlash from

past behavior.

It's not fair

to the other

kids.

I've rambled

enough. I'm

just

frustrated

once again

because he's

in his room

again after

hitting his

brother- for

absolutely no

reason.

Anyone?

thanks for

listening.

R

No virus

found in this message.

04/15/12

Guest guest

We used to have a really hard time in the mornings when my DD was younger. I started going in a half hour before it was time to wake up and I'd wake her just enough to get her to take her pill. She would go back to sleep and then get up when her alarm went off. Even with that she was still grumpy but not as bad. We don't have to do that anymore. She is 15 now.

I'm not a morning person and I don't like to be bothered in the mornings either so I understand how they feel (at least somewhat). I try to keep mornings to just getting ready for school. We don't discuss family problems or anything else that may cause conflict or additional stress. My kids are not asked to preform chores in the mornings. They must get up, get dress, brush teeth/hair, eat breakfast, take meds and go to school. I get up and just watch them. I don't intervene unless there is a problem. I gently remind them to brush their teeth and ask if they have taken their meds. If someone is getting stressed I tell them to hurry and get all ready for school and then then can come snuggle up next to me for a couple minutes of calm. They both react well to this.

Electronics are 'it' in our house. If they choose to misbehave then they choose to loose their electronics (phone, TV, video games, radio, ipod, computer...) for the remainder of the day. I rarely do any type of long term disciple because my daughter just doesn't care/understand after the first day or two. She doesn't understand time in the way that we do. Her behavior today has nothing to do with the day after tomorrow or the weekend. She can't understand the correlation. Immediate, remainder of the day, consequences get the desired response.

I think you should definitely talk to your Dr (over and over) and if he/she doesn't listen or won't help...find a new one. There are meds out there that can help. You just have to find it.

Good luck and know that you are not alone!

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you;

Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.

One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

-- Son antagonizes everyone

I'm so frustrated- again. Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the worst. He is so antagonistic. He is 10 and has three younger siblings. He takes great joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating them and throwing his weight around. It's frustrating, makes for very difficult mornings, and it's getting old. Once he has his meds (for ADHD) he calms down a bit, but he gets out of bed ready to take on the world- and not in a good way. He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he pretty much does whatever he wants. We've tried everything- including things with the help of counselors and family advocates. From reward systems to discipline strategies, he could care less. He's motivated only by his will and will take the punishment to get his way. He is argumentative, is always right, and never at fault. He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize about how "blank" was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for hitting, or lying, or being mean. He never sees it as his fault. he can be the most difficult person to live with. I vacillate between being angry and feeling guilty and I'm tired. I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this. I sometimes wonder if he's been misdiagnosed, or if there is more to the story than just ASD. It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity. He's not as aggressive as he used to be- which is helpful- he used to be abusive towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten older. We're at a loss. A lot of the time we just tolerate him, or grit our teeth until he's either changed moods, gone to sleep, or has left for school. I'm tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him. -Let me just add- when he wants to be- he's an amazing kid. Curious, bright, compassionate, funny, and helpful. Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the least. :( Does anyone else experience this? His personality takes over the family- we're either managing his behavior, correcting his behavior, or riding out the backlash from past behavior. It's not fair to the other kids. I've rambled enough. I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his room again after hitting his brother- for absolutely no reason. Anyone? thanks for listening. R

Guest guest

We also found the hyperfocusing issue with Daytrana (it is a patch). We have used the Vyvanse for nearly two years and are lucky to say it has turned our lives around. He takes a low dosage of Aderhal at 3pm and that helps him finish the day and get through homework. By nightime he is wild, but we just have fun then because all of the work is done. Instead of agonizing over homework that took all night because of the lack of attention, it now only takes 30 minutes and we get to enjoy bike rides with the dogs, the dog park, dinner picnics and once in a while we will even do a movie on a school night! Sammy actually brought home his 4th grade report card and it is filled with ALL As and Bs. I firmly believe he could not be productive at school without the extra help of medication. I hope you find some solace, watching your child

so out of control is sometimes more painful than childbirth itself. Good luck and no matter what you choose to do, I support you because you love your little one.~Carly (Minnesota)Mom to Sammy (4th Grade, ASD, ADHD and there is talk of lifting the Depression dx, very excited about that!) To:

autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:35 PM Subject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

I just want to encourage you to try different meds. We were using straight up Ritalin and it made my son aggressive. We tried Metadate (time release ritalin) and it was better, but we kept having to up and up the dose and added Tennex to it, but he was getting too hyper focused. Then, switched to Vyvanse (which is still a stimulant, but just a little different) and it's been wonderful. Much more smooth and longer lasting and we found we could even lower the equivalent dose. Plus, it dissolves in water so it's super easy to get my little guy to take it.

Whatever you do, don't put up with where you're at. Ask for help from your dev ped or someone else and do something. You shouldn't have to just live through it. <<<Hugs!>>>

Guest guest

Vyvanse and Adderall made my son aggressive and mean. He did not have a good response to it. We do Concerta ER at 54 mg. and then unfortunately he needs something to get him back down to go to bed so he does Clonidine .02 mg :( To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Monday,

April 16, 2012 8:50 PM Subject: Re: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

We also found the hyperfocusing issue with Daytrana (it is a patch). We have used the Vyvanse for nearly two years and are lucky to say it has turned our lives around. He takes a low dosage of Aderhal at 3pm and that helps him finish the day and get through homework. By nightime he is wild, but we just have fun then because all of the work is done. Instead of agonizing over homework that took all night because of the lack of attention, it now only takes 30 minutes and we get to enjoy bike rides with the dogs, the dog park, dinner picnics and once in a while we will even do a movie on a school night! Sammy actually brought home his 4th grade report card and it is filled with ALL As and Bs. I firmly believe he could not be productive at school without the extra help of medication. I hope you find some solace, watching your child

so out of control is sometimes more painful than childbirth itself. Good luck and no matter what you choose to do, I support you because you love your little one.~Carly (Minnesota)Mom to Sammy (4th Grade, ASD, ADHD and there is talk of lifting the Depression dx, very excited about that!) To:

autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:35 PM Subject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

I just want to encourage you to try different meds. We were using straight up Ritalin and it made my son aggressive. We tried Metadate (time release ritalin) and it was better, but we kept having to up and up the dose and added Tennex to it, but he was getting too hyper focused. Then, switched to Vyvanse (which is still a stimulant, but just a little different) and it's been wonderful. Much more smooth and longer lasting and we found we could even lower the equivalent dose. Plus, it dissolves in water so it's super easy to get my little guy to take it.

Whatever you do, don't put up with where you're at. Ask for help from your dev ped or someone else and do something. You shouldn't have to just live through it. <<<Hugs!>>>

Guest guest

I agree. Abilify hasn't been approved for use in children. It can have life-threatening side effects. To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 9:14 AM Subject: Re: Re: Son antagonizes

everyone

I've been afraid to try the ambilify due to the side effects, weight gain, metabolic syndrome effects, and also possible breast tissue/ discharge for males. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 7:56 AM Subject: Re: Re: Son

antagonizes everyone

My son is on abilify, paxil and vyvanse. He was only on vyanse when he was diagnosed with FAS. I don't know where you live, but I have a very good doctor in the Novi area. Dr. Sachs. My son was diagnosed through U of M. They have a fetal alcohol clinic.LouiseTo: autism-aspergers Sent: Sun, April 15, 2012 9:19:13

PMSubject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

In our case he is on Prozac and Abilify. I don't know if you can get those with the other diagnoses. We never did.

> >

> > could your son possibily have fetal alcohol? I have a 13 year old son (adopted)

> > adhd and mood issues. Recently I noticed that after eating anything with red

> > dye or pop he becomes more aggressive and extrememly irriated with anyone and

> > where he is.

> >

> > Louise

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers >

> >

> >

> > Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your frustration as

> > my 13yr. old son is exactly the same. I have 4 children as well, 3 of which are

> > on the spectrum. The oldest tends to be most aggressive, though its often after

> > being provoked by my 13 year old. At times even though he is difficult he can be

> > very sensitive, and kind. Actually I have hope that eventually the behavior will

> > mellow or that he find some work that will have minimal contact with others. My

> > eldest child is very gullible, and has great difficulty relating to peers on an

> > appropriate age level, doing better with younger children. I am sorry I do not

> > have an answer for you, except to say your not alone. Please feel free to write

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the worst.

> > He is so antagonistic. He is 10 and has three younger siblings. He takes great

> > joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating them and

> >

> >

> >

> > He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he pretty

> > much does whatever he wants. We've tried everything- including things with the

> > strategies, he could care less. He's motivated only by his will and will take

> > the punishment to get his way. He is argumentative, is always right, and never

> > at fault. He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize about

> > how "blank" was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for hitting, or

> >

> >

> > I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this. I sometimes

> > wonder if he's been misdiagnosed, or if there is more to the story than just

> > ASD. It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity. He's

> > towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten older.

> >

> >

> > tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him. -Let me just add-

> > funny, and helpful. Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the least.

> >

> >

> > Does anyone else experience this? His personality takes over the family- we're

> >

> >

> > I've rambled enough. I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his room

> >

> >

> > Anyone?

> > R

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> >

>

Guest guest

It can cause diabetes which may not resolve with the discontinuation of the med. To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:11 AM Subject: Re: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

I agree. Abilify hasn't been approved for use in children. It can have life-threatening side effects. To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 9:14 AM Subject: Re: Re: Son antagonizes

everyone

I've been afraid to try the ambilify due to the side effects, weight gain, metabolic syndrome effects, and also possible breast tissue/ discharge for males. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 7:56 AM Subject: Re: Re: Son

antagonizes everyone

My son is on abilify, paxil and vyvanse. He was only on vyanse when he was diagnosed with FAS. I don't know where you live, but I have a very good doctor in the Novi area. Dr. Sachs. My son was diagnosed through U of M. They have a fetal alcohol clinic.LouiseTo: autism-aspergers Sent: Sun, April 15, 2012 9:19:13

In our case he is on Prozac and Abilify. I don't know if you can get those with the other diagnoses. We never did.

> >

> > could your son possibily have fetal alcohol? I have a 13 year old son (adopted)

> > adhd and mood issues. Recently I noticed that after eating anything with red

> > dye or pop he becomes more aggressive and extrememly irriated with anyone and

> > where he is.

> >

> > Louise

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your frustration as

> > my 13yr. old son is exactly the same. I have 4 children as well, 3 of which are

> > on the spectrum. The oldest tends to be most aggressive, though its often after

> > being provoked by my 13 year old. At times even though he is difficult he can be

> > very sensitive, and kind. Actually I have hope that eventually the behavior will

> > mellow or that he find some work that will have minimal contact with others. My

> > eldest child is very gullible, and has great difficulty relating to peers on an

> > appropriate age level, doing better with younger children. I am sorry I do not

> > have an answer for you, except to say your not alone. Please feel free to write

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the worst.

> > He is so antagonistic. He is 10 and has three younger siblings. He takes great

> > joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating them and

> >

> >

> >

> > He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he pretty

> > much does whatever he wants. We've tried everything- including things with the

> > strategies, he could care less. He's motivated only by his will and will take

> > the punishment to get his way. He is argumentative, is always right, and never

> > at fault. He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize about

> > how "blank" was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for hitting, or

> >

> >

> > I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this. I sometimes

> > ASD. It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity. He's

> > towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten older.

> >

> >

> > tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him. -Let me just add-

> > funny, and helpful. Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the least.

> >

> >

> > Does anyone else experience this? His personality takes over the family- we're

> >

> >

> > I've rambled enough. I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his room

> >

> >

> > Anyone?

> > R

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> >

>

Guest guest

's dx is Asperger's and ADHD - however, just a couple of weeks ago when i requested a note from his Dr for the school file, it also included Opp. Def. Dis.  I was shocked- although, i can see how that fits! 

I guess I poured out my heart about the frustration with his non-compliance b/c it often feels like many other Aspie kids don't have the meltdowns/tantrums/disobedience/aggression that we see every day. As sad as I am to read your stories, I have to say, it helps me to know we're not alone, and that the dx does seem to fit. I've been reading the OASIS guide to Aspergers and it's hitting it right on the head.  I had been wondering if this really fit him as a dx- since a lot of it doesn't, but after reading through this book, I now see why two Drs at different practices have confirmed the ASD dx. 

Thanks for letting me vent, for the encouragement, and for listening.  He's off to school again- tried giving him his meds before he got out of bed- that truly did seem to help a bit.  We will keep that up for sure!

thanks everyone! -heather r

Vyvanse and Adderall made my son aggressive and mean.  He did not have a good response to it.  We do Concerta ER at 54 mg. and then unfortunately he needs something to get him back down to go to bed so he does Clonidine .02 mg :(

To: " autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers >

Sent: Monday,

April 16, 2012 8:50 PM Subject: Re: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

so out of control is sometimes more painful than childbirth itself. Good luck and no matter what you choose to do, I support you because you love your little one.~Carly (Minnesota)

Mom to Sammy (4th Grade, ASD, ADHD and there is talk of lifting the Depression dx, very excited about that!)

To:

Guest guest

Every med has possible side effects. Risperadone caused weight gain but Abilify did not in my son. All the possible side effects are rare. I just needed to weight the possible positives vs possible negatives.That is all any of us can do...Sent from my iPhoneed l

It can cause diabetes which may not resolve with the discontinuation of the med. To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:11 AM Subject: Re: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

everyone

antagonizes everyone

> >

> > where he is.

> >

> > Louise

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Anyone?

> > R

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> >

>

Reply to sender |

Reply to group |

Reply via web post |

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic

(27)

|**|end egp html banner|**|

Guest guest

Every med has possible side effects. Risperadone caused weight gain but Abilify did not in my son. All the possible side effects are rare. I just needed to weight the possible positives vs possible negatives.That is all any of us can do...Sent from my iPhoneed l

everyone

antagonizes everyone

> >

> > where he is.

> >

> > Louise

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Anyone?

> > R

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> >

>

Reply to sender |

Reply to group |

Reply via web post |

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic

(27)

|**|end egp html banner|**|

Guest guest

I agree. For us, the damage done by not having the medication was clear. That

is the balance I had to weigh. The medication gives my child a chance to live

without constant negative feedback from the world around him tearing him up on a

daily basis. Yes, it gives us a new challenge, keeping weight in check, but it

gives him a chance at a future that he would not have had if he had been allowed

to continue down the self-destructive path his negativity and anger set him on.

There are no easy answers.

> > > >

> > > > could your son possibily have fetal alcohol? I have a 13 year old son

(adopted)

> > > > that sounds just like your son. A year and a half ago he was diagnosed

with

> > > > fetal alcohol. He still has his moments even though he is on medication

for

> > > > adhd and mood issues. Recently I noticed that after eating anything with

red

> > > > dye or pop he becomes more aggressive and extrememly irriated with

anyone and

> > > > everything. He is our one child that will need constant supervision as

to

> > > > where he is.

> > > >

> > > > Louise

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ________________________________

> > > > From: Durko <roseemerald66@>

> > > > To: " autism-aspergers "

<autism-aspergers >

> > > > Sent: Sun, April 15, 2012 9:49:45 AM

> > > > Subject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your

frustration as

> > > > my 13yr. old son is exactly the same. I have 4 children as well, 3 of

which are

> > > > on the spectrum. The oldest tends to be most aggressive, though its

often after

> > > > being provoked by my 13 year old. At times even though he is difficult

he can be

> > > > very sensitive, and kind. Actually I have hope that eventually the

behavior will

> > > > mellow or that he find some work that will have minimal contact with

others. My

> > > > eldest child is very gullible, and has great difficulty relating to

peers on an

> > > > appropriate age level, doing better with younger children. I am sorry I

do not

> > > > have an answer for you, except to say your not alone. Please feel free

to write

> > > > to me if you just need to vent.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > From: Ristau <2boyzmama@>

> > > > To: autism-aspergers

> > > > Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:19 AM

> > > > Subject: Son antagonizes everyone

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I'm so frustrated- again.

> > > > Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the

worst.

> > > > He is so antagonistic. He is 10 and has three younger siblings. He takes

great

> > > > joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating

them and

> > > > throwing his weight around. It's frustrating, makes for very difficult

> > > > mornings, and it's getting old.

> > > >

> > > > Once he has his meds (for ADHD) he calms down a bit, but he gets out of

bed

> > > > ready to take on the world- and not in a good way.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he

pretty

> > > > much does whatever he wants. We've tried everything- including things

with the

> > > > help of counselors and family advocates. From reward systems to

discipline

> > > > strategies, he could care less. He's motivated only by his will and will

take

> > > > the punishment to get his way. He is argumentative, is always right, and

never

> > > > at fault. He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize

about

> > > > how " blank " was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for

hitting, or

> > > > lying, or being mean. He never sees it as his fault. he can be the most

> > > > difficult person to live with. I vacillate between being angry and

feeling

> > > > guilty and I'm tired.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this. I

sometimes

> > > > wonder if he's been misdiagnosed, or if there is more to the story than

just

> > > > ASD. It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity.

He's

> > > > not as aggressive as he used to be- which is helpful- he used to be

abusive

> > > > towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten

older.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > We're at a loss. A lot of the time we just tolerate him, or grit our

teeth

> > > > until he's either changed moods, gone to sleep, or has left for school.

I'm

> > > > tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him. -Let me

just add-

> > > > when he wants to be- he's an amazing kid. Curious, bright,

compassionate,

> > > > funny, and helpful. Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the

least.

> > > > :(

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Does anyone else experience this? His personality takes over the family-

we're

> > > > either managing his behavior, correcting his behavior, or riding out the

> > > > backlash from past behavior. It's not fair to the other kids.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I've rambled enough. I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his

room

> > > > again after hitting his brother- for absolutely no reason.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Anyone?

> > > > thanks for listening.

> > > > R

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >>

> > > > >>

> > > > >>

> > > > >>

> > > > >>

> > > > >>

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic

> > Messages in this topic (27)

> > |**|end egp html banner|**|

>

Guest guest

I agree. For us, the damage done by not having the medication was clear. That

without constant negative feedback from the world around him tearing him up on a

gives him a chance at a future that he would not have had if he had been allowed

> > > >

> > > > could your son possibily have fetal alcohol? I have a 13 year old son

(adopted)

> > > > that sounds just like your son. A year and a half ago he was diagnosed

with

> > > > fetal alcohol. He still has his moments even though he is on medication

for

> > > > adhd and mood issues. Recently I noticed that after eating anything with

red

> > > > dye or pop he becomes more aggressive and extrememly irriated with

anyone and

> > > > everything. He is our one child that will need constant supervision as

to

> > > > where he is.

> > > >

> > > > Louise

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > From: Durko <roseemerald66@>

> > > > To: " autism-aspergers "

<autism-aspergers >

> > > > Sent: Sun, April 15, 2012 9:49:45 AM

> > > > Subject: Re: Son antagonizes everyone

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your

frustration as

> > > > my 13yr. old son is exactly the same. I have 4 children as well, 3 of

which are

> > > > on the spectrum. The oldest tends to be most aggressive, though its

often after

> > > > being provoked by my 13 year old. At times even though he is difficult

he can be

> > > > very sensitive, and kind. Actually I have hope that eventually the

behavior will

> > > > mellow or that he find some work that will have minimal contact with

others. My

> > > > eldest child is very gullible, and has great difficulty relating to

peers on an

> > > > appropriate age level, doing better with younger children. I am sorry I

do not

> > > > have an answer for you, except to say your not alone. Please feel free

to write

> > > > to me if you just need to vent.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > From: Ristau <2boyzmama@>

> > > > To: autism-aspergers

> > > > Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:19 AM

> > > > Subject: Son antagonizes everyone

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I'm so frustrated- again.

> > > > Mostly because it's morning. And the morning is when my son can be the

worst.

> > > > He is so antagonistic. He is 10 and has three younger siblings. He takes

great

> > > > joy in needling them, teasing them, often chasing then, intimidating

them and

> > > > throwing his weight around. It's frustrating, makes for very difficult

> > > > mornings, and it's getting old.

> > > >

> > > > Once he has his meds (for ADHD) he calms down a bit, but he gets out of

bed

> > > > ready to take on the world- and not in a good way.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > He is an incredibly difficult child to parent- for the mere fact that he

pretty

> > > > much does whatever he wants. We've tried everything- including things

with the

> > > > help of counselors and family advocates. From reward systems to

discipline

> > > > strategies, he could care less. He's motivated only by his will and will

take

> > > > the punishment to get his way. He is argumentative, is always right, and

never

> > > > at fault. He often retreats into his room to cry and sulk and vocalize

about

> > > > how " blank " was a huge injustice- even if he was disciplined for

hitting, or

> > > > lying, or being mean. He never sees it as his fault. he can be the most

> > > > difficult person to live with. I vacillate between being angry and

feeling

> > > > guilty and I'm tired.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I read so much about aspergers and don't see a whole lot of this. I

sometimes

> > > > wonder if he's been misdiagnosed, or if there is more to the story than

just

> > > > ASD. It's not quirks and difficulty socializing, it's full on intensity.

He's

> > > > not as aggressive as he used to be- which is helpful- he used to be

abusive

> > > > towards me and his younger brother- but that has subsided as he's gotten

older.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > We're at a loss. A lot of the time we just tolerate him, or grit our

teeth

> > > > until he's either changed moods, gone to sleep, or has left for school.

I'm

> > > > tired of surviving my son, and want to more easily enjoy him. -Let me

just add-

> > > > when he wants to be- he's an amazing kid. Curious, bright,

compassionate,

> > > > funny, and helpful. Sadly, these traits are the ones that come out the

least.

> > > > :(

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Does anyone else experience this? His personality takes over the family-

we're

> > > > either managing his behavior, correcting his behavior, or riding out the

> > > > backlash from past behavior. It's not fair to the other kids.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I've rambled enough. I'm just frustrated once again because he's in his

room

> > > > again after hitting his brother- for absolutely no reason.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Anyone?

> > > > thanks for listening.

> > > > R

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >>

> > > > >>

> > > > >>

> > > > >>

> > > > >>

> > > > >>

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic

> > Messages in this topic (27)

> > |**|end egp html banner|**|

>

Guest guest

>

> I agree. For us, the damage done by not having the medication was clear. That

Absolutely, in a perfect situation my child wouldn't need any medication, but

that's not where we are at. So we choose as best we can and accept the

consequences as they come. I have to let my child pursue some happiness even if

I am worried about side effects.