RemedySpot.com

behavior problems

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My 6 year old had the same problem and it was like I'd just finished battle at the end of every night.

I started to document it and I noticed an increase in his consumption of sugary stuff like my arch nemesis The Candy Corn and about 3 days later he was much nicer.

I still want to try the emotion boards but they haven't worked in the past and I refuse to give him a place to punch or hit because I'm afraid he won't understand.

Just my 2 cents (and probably all it's worth)

Beth

Behavior problems

My son is now having some major issues and he is only 6. I can't even control him when he is having a tantrum. I need suggestions. When the tantrum starts, I try to re-direct, calm voice, show pictures and nothing works. He begins to hit, kick, bite and bang his head. When he does this I notice that it gets worse. It seems that he only knows one emotion for hurt and mad...and that is not a good emotion at all. The more he hits his head...the more enraged he becomes and the worse the tantrums are....and I need some advice! I have brusies, bites and whatever all over my body,any suggestions???

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.487 / Virus Database: 269.13.21/1012 - Release Date: 9/16/2007 6:32 PM

My daughter is six also and does the same thing. Only she has done this since she was 2 yrs old. we have had her on many meds and it helps some. we find respirdol helps her the most. One thing that I have found with my daughter is she has a very high pain tolerance and when she is sick somewhere that is not obvious she gets more aggressive, sometimes over night other times slowly. what we do is take her to her doctor and he looks for something wrong, if he cannot find anything we give her a broad spectrum antibiotic and it usually seems to solve the problem. we just went through many months of very aggressive behavior that we almost had her placed in a home in Texas for the severally aggressive children that no one else can handle. we brought her to her to a new pediatrician for a well visit check up and as we talked he decided he wanted a urine sample, we put a bag on her and waited for a while, when she did not pee he decided to cath her. well it took 6

people to hold her down and one doing the cath. what they found what outragious. she was so swollen from having a bladder infection for so long that they could not even insert the tiny cath tube to straight cath her. we had brought her to her old pediatrician many times with the complaint something was wrong since her behavior was worse then normal and since the doctor could not find anything wrong they would not treat her. so make the long short, this doctor caused her a unknown amount of pain and misery by not giving her a broad sectrum med. now that she has had the meds to clear it up she is so much better. yes she still is aggressive but not even close to the extent. so my advice would be get a full check up from your pediatrician and see if they cant find something wrong that would do this. please understand this went on with our daughter for at least 6 months before we found out what was really wrong. hope this helps a littlejamcade2001 wrote: My son is now having some major issues and he is only 6. I can't even control him when he is having a tantrum. I need suggestions. When the tantrum starts, I try to re-direct, calm voice, show pictures and nothing works. He begins to hit, kick, bite and bang his head. When he does this I notice that it gets worse. It seems that he only knows one emotion for hurt and mad...and that is not a good emotion at all. The more he hits his head...the

more enraged he becomes and the worse the tantrums are....and I need some advice! I have brusies, bites and whatever all over my body,any suggestions??? Mom to 5 great girls http://www.myspace.com/family4jesus85

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

>My suggestion is when you see the tantrum progress, issue a planned ignoring,

it sounds

like he is attention seeking or trying to access a tangent. if i were you i

would move

anything breakable away from a designated tantrum area, that way he doesnt hurt

himself.

i would also explain to him that you will not give into his demands unless he

acts more

gentlman like, other suggestions is to do physical activity early in the day so

that way he

just does not have the energy to tantrum. use Crisis prevention/intervention

(CPI)

manuevers to hold him that way he loses that extinction burst. if he is acting

up because

he is trying to access a tangent, such as yourself, i would initiate a token

economy

reinforcemnt to access that tangent, or schedule a appointment for a designated

time for

that certain tangent.

hope any of this helps

>

>

> My son is now having some major issues and he is only 6. I can't even

> control him when he is having a tantrum. I need suggestions. When the

> tantrum starts, I try to re-direct, calm voice, show pictures and

> nothing works. He begins to hit, kick, bite and bang his head. When he

> does this I notice that it gets worse. It seems that he only knows one

> emotion for hurt and mad...and that is not a good emotion at all. The

> more he hits his head...the more enraged he becomes and the worse the

> tantrums are....and I need some advice! I have brusies, bites and

> whatever all over my body,any suggestions???

>

I can only tell you what worked for me. I first protected myself with a heavy coat and mittens that looked like boxing gloves. I told Karac to go to his room and get his blanket and lie down on his pallet. I keep a pallet between his bed and the wall. It is sort of a small narrow place that makes him feel secure. I didn't try to talk to him or reason with him. Sometimes I would give him a half of Clonidine crushed in a small sippy cup. It usually would calm him down in less than 20 minutes. I would say this will make you feel better; then I left him alone. When I could tell that he was calm, I would ask if he was ok, and he would tell me, "yes". In time Karac would recognize when the anxiety was coming on and he would ask for Clonidine.

There were times when I would give him and Epson Salt bath and that would calm him down, but that was more difficult; I didn't want to get trapped in the bathroom with him. It has been over a year since Karac has had any aggression. Now when he feels anxious he will lie down on the pallet or ask for a bath to calm himself down.

I think Karac hated the aggression as much as I did. I think it freightened him. Now he has learned how to help himself and he knows they don't last.

This may not make any sense to you, but it seems to have worked for Karac and me. Pat K************************************** See what's new at http://www.aol.com

Have you tried time out with him at all? Do you have any prn medication for him? My 15-year-old son does the same thing. I wish I had an easy answer for you.

Behavior problems

My son is now having some major issues and he is only 6. I can't even control him when he is having a tantrum. I need suggestions. When the tantrum starts, I try to re-direct, calm voice, show pictures and nothing works. He begins to hit, kick, bite and bang his head. When he does this I notice that it gets worse. It seems that he only knows one emotion for hurt and mad...and that is not a good emotion at all. The more he hits his head...the more enraged he becomes and the worse the tantrums are....and I need some advice! I have brusies, bites and whatever all over my body,any suggestions? ??

Got a little couch potato?

Check out fun summer activities for kids.

• 5 months later...

I have 3 boys 6 y/o twins & 4y/o 1 twin and 4 y/o have Autism. Very

different, behavior has been difficult w/ Matt(6) does alot of verbal

stimming and bouncing around the furniture. Jake(4) very limited speech

is in sensory overload all the time, he is like a time bomb. I feel no

matter what I do nothing has been working please would love ANY

suggestion ,help, vacation(haha) would be grately appreciated!!