and it is not working for him. What right do I have when it comes to

making suggestions, and getting a program or a teacher that is trained

to teach my son in a certain way? How can I get the public school to

work in a new program to teach my son? He is a visual-play learner. I

have asked for a shadow and the school is against it, I have been

asking for it for 3 years now. I need to know what I can do as a mom

and without a battle if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to take so long to comment on this issue . . . . I set it aside though so that I would get to it eventually because I wanted to address the parapro issue.

You do not have the right to demand a parapro for your child.

You do have the right to insist that your child receive assistance so that he is able to access the curriculum. Look at the goals and objectives and how they can be achieved. Does the IEP state that material must be adapted? If so, then the teacher needs to adapt the work. If the teacher cannot do it, then a parapro is necessary. The decision is based on the IEP goals and objectives.

I am not sure you can get this done without a battle, but you have the right to demand a para pro who is able to help adapt the work that is provided by the teacher.  The school system will probably tell you that a para will hinder the child but not so if she adapts the work to your son's level then moves away from him so that he can work independently and the para can assist as needed.  I think paras are listed under additional educational services but I have to check my IEP book to make sure. 

How is your son doing socially?  A para can assist in organizing activities that could include peer interactions.  Let's say your son is working on time.  The para could pull a group of students (3-4) to work with your son (and the teacher may like this because she can then work with a small group too) on time activities.  You get the learning in as well as the social time.

I can't say this enough to you and any other parents who read this - if possible, visit your son's school when things are going right as well as when there may be challenges to volunteer in the office, PTO activities, class or grade level activities.  When teachers and administrators see that you care not only about your child but the school too, they may be willing to go the extra mile for your child.

Also, develop a relationship with the teacher.  If all you can say to start is "I appreciate how you greeted ny today.", then say that.  Don't always show up when something goes wrong - be there when things go right too.

I will find my book and look for the exact terminology in regards to the para pro and e-mail you back.  Have a great day.

Terri 

**************New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)