RemedySpot.com

Re: Social Security

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

my son has not yet been dx but we get social security for him. He was first dx with developmental delays, he goes for his autism dx in 3 months. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:00 PM Subject: Social Security

Just stumbled across something today and wanted to know if any of you have heard of or are collecting it. Social Security does deem Autism as a disability. Have any of you done so or have known of anyone who was able to collect disability for their autistic child. We could use any help with our expenses of all the therapies, etc.

Guest guest

We get 698, the most you can get a month. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:00 PM Subject: Social Security

Just stumbled across something today and wanted to know if any of you have heard of or are collecting it. Social Security does deem Autism as a disability. Have any of you done so or have known of anyone who was able to collect disability for their autistic child. We could use any help with our expenses of all the therapies, etc.

Guest guest

Just curious how one would find out if you qualified for this?Thanks in advance for any direction you can offer me.Thanks,

We get 698, the most you can get a month. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:00 PM Subject: Social Security

Guest guest

I know 2 people that get it for thier autistic children. The kids had to be examined by a doctor(ssi doctors choice) and do lots of paperwork.

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:00 PMSubject: Social Security

Guest guest

Isn't it based in the family's income? So if you are above the bracket then you don't qualify? I've been wondering the same question for a while now but never posted. It would be nice to get some guidance on the issue as we all are faced with so many out of pocket expenses. Gladys

I know 2 people that get it for thier autistic children. The kids had to be examined by a doctor(ssi doctors choice) and do lots of paperwork.

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:00 PMSubject: Social Security

=

Guest guest

Hi Sara: Would you mind sharing how you went about this process? I'm sure it's a long one with lots of paperwork but it may be worth it to look into and give it a shot. If you don't feel comfortable sharing to the group, I understand. Financial issues can be a private topic. Thanks so much. Gladys

=

Guest guest

YOU WROTE: Isn't it based in the family's income? So if you are above the bracket then you don't qualify? Yes it does but the bracket is pretty high. I got a check within 10 days of applying. Best thing to do is apply and see what they say To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:21 PM Subject: Re: Social Security

Isn't it based in the family's income? So if you are above the bracket then you don't qualify? I've been wondering the same question for a while now but never posted. It would be nice to get some guidance on the issue as we all are faced with so many out of pocket expenses. Gladys

=

Guest guest

well first i went to the ss website and I filled out this form online first go to socialsecurity.gov and go to disability then there is this thing that says apply for ss for children click that. Then there you will find where it says to fill out child disability report, will warn you it is very long. And you need the names, addresses and phone numbers of every dr. you child has seen and what they did for your child. Once you have completed that then you can go to your local ss office and apply. If you choose not to do the disability report it will take much longer to get help. I got my first check in 10 days after applying. And the more info you give them the faster it goes. BTW I googled all the names addresses and #s so if you dont have that info just google it. Hope this helps :) To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:26 PM Subject: Re: Social Security

Hi Sara: Would you mind sharing how you went about this process? I'm sure it's a long one with lots of paperwork but it may be worth it to look into and give it a shot. If you don't feel comfortable sharing to the group, I understand. Financial issues can be a private topic. Thanks so much. Gladys

=

Guest guest

wrote: Just curious how one would find out if you qualified for this? Just apply, Or you can call them because it goes based on your income. Don't worry if you think you make to much. They deduct a lot of it out for housing ,food,bills and stuff like that. To:

autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:53 PM Subject: Re: Social Security

Just curious how one would find out if you qualified for this?Thanks in advance for any direction you can offer me.Thanks,

Guest guest

That's great info, Sara! I will definitely look into that. I appreciate you telling time to explain. :-)Gladys

well first i went to the ss website and I filled out this form online first go to socialsecurity.gov and go to disability then there is this thing that says apply for ss for children click that. Then there you will find where it says to fill out child disability report, will warn you it is very long. And you need the names, addresses and phone numbers of every dr. you child has seen and what they did for your child. Once you have completed that then you can go to your local ss office and apply. If you choose not to do the disability report it will take much longer to get help. I got my first check in 10 days after applying. And the more info you give them the faster it goes. BTW I googled all the names addresses and #s so if you dont have that info just google it. Hope this helps :) To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:26 PM Subject: Re: Social Security

=

=

Guest guest

Taking the time to explain...not telling time...It is so hard to type on iPhones & I just can't stand misspellings or incorrect words when I type. Just one of my quirks I guess :)Gladys

That's great info, Sara! I will definitely look into that. I appreciate you telling time to explain. :-)Gladys

=

=

=

Guest guest

No problem, Anything to help someone in these kinda situations. Cause I know how hard it has been for me and a lot of yall on here have had it way harder than me and been dealing with it a lot longer. Let me know if I can help with anything else. :) To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Friday, May 11,

2012 12:36 AM Subject: Re: Social Security

Taking the time to explain...not telling time...It is so hard to type on iPhones & I just can't stand misspellings or incorrect words when I type. Just one of my quirks I guess :)Gladys

well first i went to the ss website and I filled out this form online first go to socialsecurity.gov and go to disability then there is this thing that says apply for ss for children click that. Then there you will find where it says to fill out child disability report, will warn you it is very long. And you need the names, addresses and phone numbers of every dr. you child has seen and what they did for your child. Once you have completed that then you can go to your local ss office and apply. If you choose not to do the disability report it will take much longer to get help. I got my first check in 10 days after applying. And the more info you give them the faster it goes. BTW I googled all the names

addresses and #s so if you dont have that info just google it. Hope this helps :) To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:26 PM Subject: Re:

Social Security

We get 698, the most you can get a month. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:00 PM Subject:

Social Security

=

=

=

Guest guest

how do you go about applying?Amy SpikingsTo: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:38:20 PMSubject: Re: Social Security

YOU WROTE: Isn't it based in the family's income? So if you are above the bracket then you don't qualify? Yes it does but the bracket is pretty high. I got a check within 10 days of applying. Best thing to do is apply and see what they say To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:21 PM Subject: Re: Social Security

=

Guest guest

I am really late in answering this but I

just don’t have time to read my email as much as I would like to.

My son is Aspergers. He began collecting SSI and SSD when he turned

18. Well, shortly after that. All I had to do is bring a doctor’s

diagnosis and fill out a bunch of paperwork. Let me give you a tip if you

have an older child. When he reaches 19, tell Social Security that he

pays rent to you. I live in Missouri

and there is a dollar limit here. It is not illegal or fraud. You

will not get any help with therapy but the SSI and SSD will help you. A

child cannot collect if he/she is a minor. YOU may be able to collect if

you can’t work because you need to care for your child but it’s a

stretch. I read about an Autistic adult child in Illinois

who gets three aids in his own home and Illinois

picks up the tab to the tune of $80,000 per year. I’d sure like to

know how that happened. I can’t even get my son into his own place

with help from the state of Missouri.

As far as things like group homes, forget it. Waiting lists of like

thousands. It is a very sad fact that more and more children are being

diagnosed and the benefits keep decreasing. Where do you live?

Ollie

From: autism-aspergers [mailto:autism-aspergers ] On Behalf Of Genie Bottle

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:08

PM

To: autism-aspergers

Subject: Re:

Social Security

I know 2

people that get it for thier autistic children. The kids had to be

examined by a doctor(ssi doctors choice) and do lots of

paperwork.

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:00

PM

Subject: Social

Security

Just

stumbled across something today and wanted to know if any of you have heard of

or are collecting it. Social Security does deem Autism as a disability. Have

any of you done so or have known of anyone who was able to collect disability

for their autistic child. We could use any help with our expenses of all the

therapies, etc.

Guest guest

I live in NY and my 11-year-old son receives SSI.  I had to quit my professional job last summer to care for him.  He was kicked out of the YMCA program because of his autism (behaviors), and there were no other programs available in my area to enroll him into.  Also, I had no friends or family to help.  In NY, if you make under a certain amount, your child qualifies for SSI - which is given to you to help with expenses (of course, a diagnosis is required to qualify to start with).  We applied for DDSO services last summer and he was approved in July of 2011.  We are still waiting for those services, which are supposed to include someone to work with him on his deficits, respite care and social skills training.  If you qualify, the amount of SSI your child receives is dependent on the family income.  The maximum amount is $721/month.

My son is Aspergers.  He began collecting SSI and SSD when he turned

18.  Well, shortly after that.  All I had to do is bring a doctor’s

diagnosis and fill out a bunch of paperwork.  Let me give you a tip if you

have an older child.  When he reaches 19, tell Social Security that he

pays rent to you.  I live in Missouri

and there is a dollar limit here.  It is not illegal or fraud.  You

will not get any help with therapy but the SSI and SSD will help you.  A

child cannot collect if he/she is a minor.  YOU may be able to collect if

stretch.  I read about an Autistic adult child in Illinois

picks up the tab to the tune of $80,000 per year.  I’d sure like to

know how that happened.  I can’t even get my son into his own place

As far as things like group homes, forget it.  Waiting lists of like

thousands.  It is a very sad fact that more and more children are being

diagnosed and the benefits keep decreasing.  Where do you live?

Ollie

PM

Social Security

I know 2

people that get it for thier autistic children.  The kids had to be

examined by a doctor(ssi doctors choice) and do lots of

paperwork.   

PM

Security

Just

therapies, etc.

Guest guest

Wow. That 721 a month surprizes me

because NY is so expensive. My son gets 700.00 a month and MO is not that

expensive of a place to live in. Are you a single parent? There are

a lot of services here for children with special needs. However, one only

gets a minimum of services and then you’re on your own. My son will

get 8 weeks of therapy when he returns. That is as many hours as you want

but still it’s only 8 weeks. Then we are on our own. Again. I

am happy to hear that your child gets SSI. It doesn’t sound like

your Y provides services according to the ADA.

From: autism-aspergers [mailto:autism-aspergers ] On Behalf Of Debra Donatto

Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:25

AM

Social Security

I live in

NY and my 11-year-old son receives SSI. I had to quit my professional job

last summer to care for him. He was kicked out of the YMCA program

because of his autism (behaviors), and there were no other programs available

in my area to enroll him into. Also, I had no friends or family to help.

In NY, if you make under a certain amount, your child qualifies for SSI -

which is given to you to help with expenses (of course, a diagnosis is required

to qualify to start with). We applied for DDSO services last summer and

he was approved in July of 2011. We are still waiting for those services,

which are supposed to include someone to work with him on his deficits, respite

care and social skills training. If you qualify, the amount of SSI your

child receives is dependent on the family income. The maximum amount is

$721/month.

I am really late in answering this but I just don’t have time

to read my email as much as I would like to. My son is Aspergers.

He began collecting SSI and SSD when he turned 18. Well, shortly after

that. All I had to do is bring a doctor’s diagnosis and fill out a

bunch of paperwork. Let me give you a tip if you have an older

child. When he reaches 19, tell Social Security that he pays rent to

you. I live in Missouri

and there is a dollar limit here. It is not illegal or fraud. You

will not get any help with therapy but the SSI and SSD will help you. A

child cannot collect if he/she is a minor. YOU may be able to collect if

stretch. I read about an Autistic adult child in Illinois

picks up the tab to the tune of $80,000 per year. I’d sure like to

know how that happened. I can’t even get my son into his own place

As far as things like group homes, forget it. Waiting lists of like thousands.

It is a very sad fact that more and more children are being diagnosed and the

benefits keep decreasing. Where do you live?

Ollie

On Behalf Of Genie Bottle

PM

Social Security

I know 2 people that get it for thier

autistic children. The kids had to be examined by a doctor(ssi

doctors choice) and do lots of paperwork.

PM

Security

Just stumbled across something today and

wanted to know if any of you have heard of or are collecting it. Social

Security does deem Autism as a disability. Have any of you done so or have

known of anyone who was able to collect disability for their autistic child. We

could use any help with our expenses of all the therapies, etc.

Guest guest

Yes, I'm a single mom.  They have quiet a few programs up in North NY, ie:  weekly fitness and arts & craft classes, an they run a social skills program through a local University called NEXES.  He will really need that, since they have professionals who teach the pre-teens and teens about appropriate interactions with the opposite sex and boundaries.  I'm looking forward to finally getting him into these and once it happens he can stay in them (no 8 week cut-off).  They also have a " Transitions " program to help him when he leaves high school.

About the YMCA, I complained to the Department of Justice when they kicked him out and they have recently contacted me that they are taking the case.  It took a year and a half, and I don't know how it can rectify my current situation, but at least they will be required to provide minimal accommodations for others with similar dxs.

Wow.  That 721 a month surprizes me

because NY is so expensive.  My son gets 700.00 a month and MO is not that

expensive of a place to live in.  Are you a single parent?  There are

a lot of services here for children with special needs.  However, one only

gets a minimum of services and then you’re on your own.  My son will

get 8 weeks of therapy when he returns.  That is as many hours as you want

but still it’s only 8 weeks.  Then we are on our own. Again.  I

am happy to hear that your child gets SSI.  It doesn’t sound like

your Y provides services according to the ADA. 

From: autism-aspergers [mailto:autism-aspergers ] On Behalf Of Debra Donatto

Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:25

AM

Social Security

I live in

NY and my 11-year-old son receives SSI.  I had to quit my professional job

last summer to care for him.  He was kicked out of the YMCA program

because of his autism (behaviors), and there were no other programs available

in my area to enroll him into.  Also, I had no friends or family to help.

In NY, if you make under a certain amount, your child qualifies for SSI -

which is given to you to help with expenses (of course, a diagnosis is required

to qualify to start with).  We applied for DDSO services last summer and

he was approved in July of 2011.  We are still waiting for those services,

which are supposed to include someone to work with him on his deficits, respite

care and social skills training.  If you qualify, the amount of SSI your

child receives is dependent on the family income.  The maximum amount is

$721/month.

I am really late in answering this but I just don’t have time

to read my email as much as I would like to.  My son is Aspergers. 

He began collecting SSI and SSD when he turned 18.  Well, shortly after

that.  All I had to do is bring a doctor’s diagnosis and fill out a

bunch of paperwork.  Let me give you a tip if you have an older

child.  When he reaches 19, tell Social Security that he pays rent to

you.  I live in Missouri

As far as things like group homes, forget it.  Waiting lists of like thousands. 

It is a very sad fact that more and more children are being diagnosed and the

benefits keep decreasing.  Where do you live?

Ollie

On Behalf Of Genie Bottle

PM

Social Security

I know 2 people that get it for thier

autistic children.  The kids had to be examined by a doctor(ssi

doctors choice) and do lots of paperwork.   

PM

Security

Just stumbled across something today and

wanted to know if any of you have heard of or are collecting it. Social

Security does deem Autism as a disability. Have any of you done so or have

known of anyone who was able to collect disability for their autistic child. We

could use any help with our expenses of all the therapies, etc.

Guest guest

Hi everyone, Ollie, to answer your question my son will be six on Wednesday and he was diagnosed with ASD in November by a developmental pediatrician. The school system just finished their testing because he is on an IEP. Well before he turns six they have to remove the DD label, the end result of the testing for educational purposes, his primary exceptionality is ASD with a little of language impaired. I applied for my son's SSI at the end of March of this year and was called to send in any copies of testing that had been done, I took them to the Social Security Office on Friday before Easter and called to make sure the medical determination team received them the following Friday and was told that he was approved that Monday; three days later from when they got the testing and results. They look at the medical diagnosis but they also have to look at the educational proponents as well. I live in Florida.

My son is Aspergers.  He began collecting SSI and SSD when he turned

18.  Well, shortly after that.  All I had to do is bring a doctor’s

diagnosis and fill out a bunch of paperwork.  Let me give you a tip if you

have an older child.  When he reaches 19, tell Social Security that he

pays rent to you.  I live in Missouri

As far as things like group homes, forget it.  Waiting lists of like

thousands.  It is a very sad fact that more and more children are being

diagnosed and the benefits keep decreasing.  Where do you live?

Ollie

PM

Social Security

I know 2

people that get it for thier autistic children.  The kids had to be

examined by a doctor(ssi doctors choice) and do lots of

paperwork.   

PM

Security

Just

therapies, etc.

Guest guest

how do you guys go about getting social security? we were told that my daughter with Autism and mild retardation would not qualify because my husband makes too much. Do they go off the parents income?

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:02 PMSubject: RE: Social Security

Wow. That 721 a month surprizes me because NY is so expensive. My son gets 700.00 a month and MO is not that expensive of a place to live in. Are you a single parent? There are a lot of services here for children with special needs. However, one only gets a minimum of services and then you’re on your own. My son will get 8 weeks of therapy when he returns. That is as many hours as you want but still it’s only 8 weeks. Then we are on our own. Again. I am happy to hear that your child gets SSI. It doesn’t sound like your Y provides services according to the ADA .

From: autism-aspergers [mailto: autism-aspergers ] On Behalf Of Debra DonattoSent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:25 AMTo: autism-aspergers Subject: Re: Social Security

I live in NY and my 11-year-old son receives SSI. I had to quit my professional job last summer to care for him. He was kicked out of the YMCA program because of his autism (behaviors), and there were no other programs available in my area to enroll him into. Also, I had no friends or family to help. In NY, if you make under a certain amount, your child qualifies for SSI - which is given to you to help with expenses (of course, a diagnosis is required to qualify to start with). We applied for DDSO services last summer and he was approved in July of 2011. We are still waiting for those services, which are supposed to include someone to work with him on his deficits, respite care and social skills training. If you qualify, the amount of SSI your child receives is dependent on the family income. The maximum amount is

$721/month.

I am really late in answering this but I just don’t have time to read my email as much as I would like to. My son is Aspergers. He began collecting SSI and SSD when he turned 18. Well, shortly after that. All I had to do is bring a doctor’s diagnosis and fill out a bunch of paperwork. Let me give you a tip if you have an older child. When he reaches 19, tell Social Security that he pays rent to you. I live in Missouri and there is a dollar limit here. It is not illegal or fraud. You will not get any help with therapy but the SSI and SSD will help you. A child cannot collect if he/she is a minor. YOU may be able to collect if you can’t work because you need to care for your child but it’s a stretch. I read about an Autistic adult child in Illinois

who gets three aids in his own home and Illinois picks up the tab to the tune of $80,000 per year. I’d sure like to know how that happened. I can’t even get my son into his own place with help from the state of Missouri . As far as things like group homes, forget it. Waiting lists of like thousands. It is a very sad fact that more and more children are being diagnosed and the benefits keep decreasing. Where do you live?

Ollie

From: autism-aspergers [mailto:autism-aspergers ] On Behalf Of Genie BottleSent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:08 PMTo: autism-aspergers Subject: Re: Social Security

Guest guest

Yes, SSI is based off the parents income, I believe SSI is supplemental income for those who have a disability. It is definitely different than regular social security disability.

how do you guys go about getting social security? we were told that my daughter with Autism and mild retardation would not qualify because my husband makes too much. Do they go off the parents income?

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:02 PM

Subject: RE: Social Security

Wow.  That 721 a month surprizes me because NY is so expensive.  My son gets 700.00 a month and MO is not that expensive of a place to live in.  Are you a single parent?  There are a lot of services here for children with special needs.  However, one only gets a minimum of services and then you’re on your own.  My son will get 8 weeks of therapy when he returns.  That is as many hours as you want but still it’s only 8 weeks.  Then we are on our own. Again.  I am happy to hear that your child gets SSI.  It doesn’t sound like your Y provides services according to the ADA . 

From: autism-aspergers [mailto: autism-aspergers ] On Behalf Of Debra Donatto

Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:25 AMTo: autism-aspergers

Subject: Re: Social Security

I live in NY and my 11-year-old son receives SSI.  I had to quit my professional job last summer to care for him.  He was kicked out of the YMCA program because of his autism (behaviors), and there were no other programs available in my area to enroll him into.  Also, I had no friends or family to help.  In NY, if you make under a certain amount, your child qualifies for SSI - which is given to you to help with expenses (of course, a diagnosis is required to qualify to start with).  We applied for DDSO services last summer and he was approved in July of 2011.  We are still waiting for those services, which are supposed to include someone to work with him on his deficits, respite care and social skills training.  If you qualify, the amount of SSI your child receives is dependent on the family income.  The maximum amount is

$721/month.

I am really late in answering this but I just don’t have time to read my email as much as I would like to.  My son is Aspergers.  He began collecting SSI and SSD when he turned 18.  Well, shortly after that.  All I had to do is bring a doctor’s diagnosis and fill out a bunch of paperwork.  Let me give you a tip if you have an older child.  When he reaches 19, tell Social Security that he pays rent to you.  I live in Missouri and there is a dollar limit here.  It is not illegal or fraud.  You will not get any help with therapy but the SSI and SSD will help you.  A child cannot collect if he/she is a minor.  YOU may be able to collect if you can’t work because you need to care for your child but it’s a stretch.  I read about an Autistic adult child in Illinois

who gets three aids in his own home and Illinois picks up the tab to the tune of $80,000 per year.  I’d sure like to know how that happened.  I can’t even get my son into his own place with help from the state of Missouri .  As far as things like group homes, forget it.  Waiting lists of like thousands.  It is a very sad fact that more and more children are being diagnosed and the benefits keep decreasing.  Where do you live?

Ollie

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:08 PMTo: autism-aspergers

Subject: Re: Social Security

I know 2 people that get it for thier autistic children.  The kids had to be examined by a doctor(ssi doctors choice) and do lots of paperwork.   

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:00 PM

Subject: Social Security