RemedySpot.com

School/IEP help...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

My son is 6, and just finished kindergarten with an IEP for PT and OT...he'd not

been getting the PT and OT per the IEP for some time, but was getting it

occasionally. Recently he'd been reevaluated by the school as he aged out of the

IEP category he was in (developmental delay). At his eligibility meeting they

determined him no longer eligible under any category, we refused and a couple

weeks later had a meeting to write his IEP with one goal (not measurable in my

opinion). They swear he met all his PT and OT goals and objectives (which is

bull). They also deny any need for speech even though it has been recommended by

about everyone outside of the school. He has oral motor issues and some minor

speech issues. Also social issues (which, of course, the school denies)!!

Anyway, my son's diagnosis is Asperger's...he also was recently evaluated by the

ADOS which he scored in the Autistic Disorder range...his worst areas were

social and communication, I don't have details/exact scores yet, but should

soon...

Anyway...couple questions...

1. If we disagree with the evals the school did, can we request an IEE now while

school is put for summer or do we need to wait til school goes back in the

fall??

2. An OT that was working with my son at the school before he started school

actually called the SLP in one occasion due to his saliva issues. The school

said they can't find this documentation in the OT's records (progress notes),

I'm not sure I believe them...they want me to contact the agency that was doing

the therapy instead of them contacting...something doesn't seem right with

that...would you have he school do the contact? Also, would we be out of line to

request the progress notes from the school?

3. Y'all might not be able to answer this but it's worth a try...My son's verbal

IQ is more than 1 standard deviation above his performance IQ, but both are

within the " normal " range, so the school says that since both are within the

normal range, it doesn't mean anything, but his Developmental Ped say this

indicates a comorbid (I hate that word, lol) Nonverbal Learning Disability. 

4. Again, y'all might not be able to answer...what does it mean if achievement

testing (on th WIAT test) were all higher than his IQ (measured on the WPPSI)??

His IQ was around 100, his achievement scores ranged 101-145...

Thanks so much for any and all answers. Sorry to make my first post so long! I

really hope to be able to contribute more to other people's questions in the

future! My son was diagnosed more than a year ago, but in ways if feels like

we're just beginning this adventure!!!

Guest guest

No, don't wait for the IEE. IEP's are done all the time during the summer!! Not out of line to request progress notes. law website has a form letter for this. It's done more often than you think. Put your request in writing. The achievement is usually lower than the Iq, so I'm not sure what to say about that??? Good luck! family has some really good special ed law books and advocy books. 3 big ones you can rent from the library....the website is great too! To: autism-aspergers Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:10 PM Subject: School/IEP help...

My son is 6, and just finished kindergarten with an IEP for PT and OT...he'd not been getting the PT and OT per the IEP for some time, but was getting it occasionally. Recently he'd been reevaluated by the school as he aged out of the IEP category he was in (developmental delay). At his eligibility meeting they determined him no longer eligible under any category, we refused and a couple weeks later had a meeting to write his IEP with one goal (not measurable in my opinion). They swear he met all his PT and OT goals and objectives (which is bull). They also deny any need for speech even though it has been recommended by about everyone outside of the school. He has oral motor issues and some minor speech issues. Also social issues (which, of course, the school denies)!! Anyway, my son's diagnosis is Asperger's...he also was recently evaluated by the ADOS which he scored in the Autistic Disorder range...his worst areas were social and

communication, I don't have details/exact scores yet, but should soon...

Anyway...couple questions...

1. If we disagree with the evals the school did, can we request an IEE now while school is put for summer or do we need to wait til school goes back in the fall??

2. An OT that was working with my son at the school before he started school actually called the SLP in one occasion due to his saliva issues. The school said they can't find this documentation in the OT's records (progress notes), I'm not sure I believe them...they want me to contact the agency that was doing the therapy instead of them contacting...something doesn't seem right with that...would you have he school do the contact? Also, would we be out of line to request the progress notes from the school?

3. Y'all might not be able to answer this but it's worth a try...My son's verbal IQ is more than 1 standard deviation above his performance IQ, but both are within the "normal" range, so the school says that since both are within the normal range, it doesn't mean anything, but his Developmental Ped say this indicates a comorbid (I hate that word, lol) Nonverbal Learning Disability.

4. Again, y'all might not be able to answer...what does it mean if achievement testing (on th WIAT test) were all higher than his IQ (measured on the WPPSI)?? His IQ was around 100, his achievement scores ranged 101-145...

Thanks so much for any and all answers. Sorry to make my first post so long! I really hope to be able to contribute more to other people's questions in the future! My son was diagnosed more than a year ago, but in ways if feels like we're just beginning this adventure!!!

Guest guest

Is it? My son's achievement scores are all well above his IQ. I never thought about it.Sent from my iPad

The achievement is usually lower than the Iq, so I'm not sure what to say about that???

Guest guest

How are achievement scores determined? I don't know if my son's have ever been scored???Sent from my iPhone

Is it? My son's achievement scores are all well above his IQ. I never thought about it.Sent from my iPad

The achievement is usually lower than the Iq, so I'm not sure what to say about that???

=

Guest guest

My son's achievement is below his IQ. His IQ is in the 120's and his achievement is much lower! He has AS To: "autism-aspergers " <autism-aspergers > Sent: Friday, May 18, 2012 11:55 PM Subject: Re: School/IEP

help...