RemedySpot.com

Re: Starting treatment again....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi all. I will be starting treatment again in a couple of months probably.

Tried treatment back in 2008 and was a non-responder. Just found out that my

liver has gone from stage 2 to late stage 3. My question to you all right now

is about deciding whether to try the Telaprevir or the Boceprevir. Success rate

sounds a bit better with the Telaprevir but the Boceprevir seems to have

slightly less side affects. I really don't know anything about these new drugs

or how everyone is being helped with them. I have Kaiser and they are saying

that I could take either one. Could use a bit of help with any knowledge that

you have in this area. Thanks, Tricia

Guest guest

I can only tell you about the Telaprevir (incivek). I have not communicated with a person yet who has not faught the virus when completing treatment. It is 12 weeks of Telaprevir and since you have been treated in the past as I have, you will most likely have to do a total of 48 weeks for Pegasys and Ribavirin. The 12 weeks of Telaprevir are hard but it is only 12 weeks. As I mentioned recently about the Pegasys and Ribavirin (lease excuse my spelling, lol), this is my third attempt with these treatments. I did them in 2000 and drank alcohol and it did not cure the Hep C., and didn't seem that important at that time to my doctor about quitting drinking.Quit drinking alcohol in Feb 2006 and attempted medicine in the fall of 2006 and my reading went

down below 10 but It wasn't cured/undetectable once treatment was complete.Incivek came out in Nov of 2011 I started the 3 in January of 2012 and have until December 24th of 2012 before treatment is complete and so far since my first test it is undetectable in my system. Whatever meds you attempt, as I express to all, keep hydrated and not with caffeine and/or alcohol. Caffeine dehydrates (and the meds dehydrate pretty seriously) and alcohol is the worst thing we can do to our liver.Keep us informed and good luck!!!Sincerely,Sheila From: treadle1950

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:28 PM Subject: RE: Starting treatment again....

Hi all. I will be starting treatment again in a couple of months probably. Tried treatment back in 2008 and was a non-responder. Just found out that my liver has gone from stage 2 to late stage 3. My question to you all right now is about deciding whether to try the Telaprevir or the Boceprevir. Success rate sounds a bit better with the Telaprevir but the Boceprevir seems to have slightly less side affects. I really don't know anything about these new drugs or how everyone is being helped with them. I have Kaiser and they are saying that I could take either one. Could use a bit of help with any knowledge that you have in this area. Thanks, Tricia

Guest guest

Hi Tricia,

I have just now started this 3tx process last week after diagnosis over 2 years

ago and deciding on pursuing treatment a year ago. I had the option of 2 docs

using different drugs. I chose to use the Telaprevir. I researched both a

little and decided I liked the end result numbers better even though I knew it

would be harder. I figured if I was going to go through any of this, I wanted

the best possible chances. I have no clue whether the different meds work

differently for each person, just a personal choice. It has only been a few

days but really from what everyone says, it is doable. The eating fat thing is a

pain but it will end and then I can move on. My Dr. still has said I only have

to do the 6/7 mos thing so I guess we will see when this progresses further. I

had stage 2 so we figured going through this now was easier than waiting and

possibly facing worse, more drastic medical issues later. I am not a " go to the

dr. " type person so this has been completely out of my element and so the

process of getting here has been so much worse than finally " doing something " .

Time will tell. If you have a choice and you can do the treatment, you may as

well try it and hopefully you will beat it with a stick and move on with your

life. That is what I want cause this has been all consuming for me and I have

other things I want to fill my brain with and explore!! Websites like this one

are very informative as well as the Incivek website in explaining the technical

stuff but from what I have read so far, everyone;s experience is so unique that

until you are on the meds, you won't know how it will affect you. I am trying

real hard not to " expect " the side effects but just deal with what comes up.

That will be difficult I am sure but I am still optimistic. Good luck on your

treatment and keep posting. It is nice hearing other peoples stories and helps

keep me grounded that I am not special or alone in this process...Just one of

many!!!

>

> Hi all. I will be starting treatment again in a couple of months probably.

Tried treatment back in 2008 and was a non-responder. Just found out that my

liver has gone from stage 2 to late stage 3. My question to you all right now

is about deciding whether to try the Telaprevir or the Boceprevir. Success rate

sounds a bit better with the Telaprevir but the Boceprevir seems to have

slightly less side affects. I really don't know anything about these new drugs

or how everyone is being helped with them. I have Kaiser and they are saying

that I could take either one. Could use a bit of help with any knowledge that

you have in this area. Thanks, Tricia

>

Guest guest

Hi Ned and Sheila...Thanks for replying....Yes, I agree....just knowing that someone else is going through this and understands is a huge help!  Having been through this before I am not scared/worried about doing treatment again, really....Just the first three months with the new drug has me anxious because of the description and horror stories that my doctor is telling me about.  She wants to show me bad pictures of the rashes of some people.  No thanks.  My mind is active enough to imagine.  I will probably go with the Telaprevir as that is the one that I hear most people going with and like you said...if you can stand it you might as well have the best possible chance.  I'm 62 so I need to get this done before I get any worse.  Now almost stage 4.  That happened quickly, unfortunately.  I was really surprised to get back my biopsy reports.  The doctor was even surprised.  My labs look good.  

Well, I will be thinking of you and we can do this!  Tricia

Hi Tricia,

I have just now started this 3tx process last week after diagnosis over 2 years ago and deciding on pursuing treatment a year ago. I had the option of 2 docs using different drugs. I chose to use the Telaprevir. I researched both a little and decided I liked the end result numbers better even though I knew it would be harder. I figured if I was going to go through any of this, I wanted the best possible chances. I have no clue whether the different meds work differently for each person, just a personal choice. It has only been a few days but really from what everyone says, it is doable. The eating fat thing is a pain but it will end and then I can move on. My Dr. still has said I only have to do the 6/7 mos thing so I guess we will see when this progresses further. I had stage 2 so we figured going through this now was easier than waiting and possibly facing worse, more drastic medical issues later. I am not a " go to the dr. " type person so this has been completely out of my element and so the process of getting here has been so much worse than finally " doing something " . Time will tell. If you have a choice and you can do the treatment, you may as well try it and hopefully you will beat it with a stick and move on with your life. That is what I want cause this has been all consuming for me and I have other things I want to fill my brain with and explore!! Websites like this one are very informative as well as the Incivek website in explaining the technical stuff but from what I have read so far, everyone;s experience is so unique that until you are on the meds, you won't know how it will affect you. I am trying real hard not to " expect " the side effects but just deal with what comes up. That will be difficult I am sure but I am still optimistic. Good luck on your treatment and keep posting. It is nice hearing other peoples stories and helps keep me grounded that I am not special or alone in this process...Just one of many!!!

-

Guest guest

Hi Tricia,I'm glad you feel positive and as most of us,,this is our last chance to fight off this disease. If I may, moisture (other then drinking) is really important for the rashes that I am sure are from dry skin and I do not have a problem with dry skin and here are the reasons: I use Neutrogena oil on my skin (I step out of the shower wet and put the oil on while standing on my towel and just pat dry). I didn't use it one evening and I had to get back in the shower later and get wet and do the oil for I started itching really bad. Also, I started using Aussie Hair insurance (leave-in conditioner) for my head has been itching and that seems to help. Petroleum Jelly on my face (especially

my eyes) and throughout the day I use Banana Boat Kids 50 sunscreen stick on my face (I don't wear makeup so that is not a problem) and it doesn't hurt my eyes. Good luck and if we can do anything for you, let us know.Love,Sheila To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:15 AM Subject: Re:

Re: Starting treatment again....

Hi Ned and Sheila...Thanks for replying....Yes, I agree....just knowing that someone else is going through this and understands is a huge help! Having been through this before I am not scared/worried about doing treatment again, really....Just the first three months with the new drug has me anxious because of the description and horror stories that my doctor is telling me about. She wants to show me bad pictures of the rashes of some people. No thanks. My mind is active enough to imagine. I will probably go with the Telaprevir as that is the one that I hear most people going with and like you said...if you can stand it you might as well have the best possible chance. I'm 62 so I need to get this done before I get any worse. Now almost stage 4. That happened quickly, unfortunately. I was really surprised to get back my biopsy reports. The doctor was even surprised. My labs look

good.

Well, I will be thinking of you and we can do this! Tricia

Guest guest

Hi all, another good moisturizer cram for your body is CERVA I got it at the drug store. My doc recommended it. The best I have ever used. They also make a face cleanser and a body wash.

To: "Hepatitis_C_Central " <Hepatitis_C_Central > Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:49 AMSubject: Re: Re: Starting treatment again....

Hi Tricia,

I'm glad you feel positive and as most of us,,this is our last chance to fight off this disease.

If I may, moisture (other then drinking) is really important for the rashes that I am sure are from dry skin and I do not have a problem with dry skin and here are the reasons: I use Neutrogena oil on my skin (I step out of the shower wet and put the oil on while standing on my towel and just pat dry). I didn't use it one evening and I had to get back in the shower later and get wet and do the oil for I started itching really bad. Also, I started using Aussie Hair insurance (leave-in conditioner) for my head has been itching and that seems to help. Petroleum Jelly on my face (especially my eyes) and throughout the day I use Banana Boat Kids 50 sunscreen stick on my face (I don't wear makeup so that is not a problem) and it doesn't hurt my eyes.

Good luck and if we can do anything for you, let us know.

Love,

Sheila

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:15 AMSubject: Re: Re: Starting treatment again....

Hi Ned and Sheila...Thanks for replying....Yes, I agree....just knowing that someone else is going through this and understands is a huge help! Having been through this before I am not scared/worried about doing treatment again, really....Just the first three months with the new drug has me anxious because of the description and horror stories that my doctor is telling me about. She wants to show me bad pictures of the rashes of some people. No thanks. My mind is active enough to imagine. I will probably go with the Telaprevir as that is the one that I hear most people going with and like you said...if you can stand it you might as well have the best possible chance. I'm 62 so I need to get this done before I get any worse. Now almost stage 4. That happened quickly, unfortunately. I was really surprised to get back my biopsy reports. The doctor was even surprised. My labs look good.

Guest guest

Thanks for all of the suggestion and tips.  I truly appreciate them all.  Sometimes it just takes that one thing to make all of the rest tolerable.  And Gatorade 2 is on sale at Costco right now!  Whoopee!  Well, there has to be some things that are in our favor, right?!  

Last time I did treatment I did get very itchy skin....sort of rash but not horrible.  I was also plagued with mouth sores.  Yuck.  The doctor said that if I got those symptoms last time I would get them worse this time.  Hmmmm.....

Well, thanks again...healing to you all.  Tricia

Guest guest

I am like you I don't like the horror stories. *smile*

I went through the treatments 3 times. Last time was in a clinical trial using protease inhibitors along with the reg treatment drugs. Dr has pronounced me cured and so I am going with that. LOL Listen to the folks in this group because we have all been through it, or going through it. YOu will get lots of advice and do what works best for you. I am here, 2 years post cured!! And while treatment wasn't a picnic, I am here to tell my story and I am glad I did it.

Love

Janet

"There are souls in this world that have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go"

Frederick Faber

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:15 AMSubject: Re: Re: Starting treatment again....

Hi Ned and Sheila...Thanks for replying....Yes, I agree....just knowing that someone else is going through this and understands is a huge help! Having been through this before I am not scared/worried about doing treatment again, really....Just the first three months with the new drug has me anxious because of the description and horror stories that my doctor is telling me about. She wants to show me bad pictures of the rashes of some people. No thanks. My mind is active enough to imagine. I will probably go with the Telaprevir as that is the one that I hear most people going with and like you said...if you can stand it you might as well have the best possible chance. I'm 62 so I need to get this done before I get any worse. Now almost stage 4. That happened quickly, unfortunately. I was really surprised to get back my biopsy reports. The doctor was even surprised. My labs look good.

Hi Tricia,I have just now started this 3tx process last week after diagnosis over 2 years ago and deciding on pursuing treatment a year ago. I had the option of 2 docs using different drugs. I chose to use the Telaprevir. I researched both a little and decided I liked the end result numbers better even though I knew it would be harder. I figured if I was going to go through any of this, I wanted the best possible chances. I have no clue whether the different meds work differently for each person, just a personal choice. It has only been a few days but really from what everyone says, it is doable. The eating fat thing is a pain but it will end and then I can move on. My Dr. still has said I only have to do the 6/7 mos thing so I guess we will see when this progresses further. I had stage 2 so we figured going through this now was easier than waiting and possibly facing worse, more drastic medical issues later. I am not a "go to the dr." type

person so this has been completely out of my element and so the process of getting here has been so much worse than finally "doing something". Time will tell. If you have a choice and you can do the treatment, you may as well try it and hopefully you will beat it with a stick and move on with your life. That is what I want cause this has been all consuming for me and I have other things I want to fill my brain with and explore!! Websites like this one are very informative as well as the Incivek website in explaining the technical stuff but from what I have read so far, everyone;s experience is so unique that until you are on the meds, you won't know how it will affect you. I am trying real hard not to "expect" the side effects but just deal with what comes up. That will be difficult I am sure but I am still optimistic. Good luck on your treatment and keep posting. It is nice hearing other peoples stories and helps keep me grounded that I am not special

or alone in this process...Just one of many!!!

-

Guest guest

I am like you I don't like the horror stories. *smile*

I went through the treatments 3 times. Last time was in a clinical trial using protease inhibitors along with the reg treatment drugs. Dr has pronounced me cured and so I am going with that. LOL Listen to the folks in this group because we have all been through it, or going through it. YOu will get lots of advice and do what works best for you. I am here, 2 years post cured!! And while treatment wasn't a picnic, I am here to tell my story and I am glad I did it.

Love

Janet

"There are souls in this world that have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go"

Frederick Faber

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:15 AMSubject: Re: Re: Starting treatment again....

Hi Tricia,I have just now started this 3tx process last week after diagnosis over 2 years ago and deciding on pursuing treatment a year ago. I had the option of 2 docs using different drugs. I chose to use the Telaprevir. I researched both a little and decided I liked the end result numbers better even though I knew it would be harder. I figured if I was going to go through any of this, I wanted the best possible chances. I have no clue whether the different meds work differently for each person, just a personal choice. It has only been a few days but really from what everyone says, it is doable. The eating fat thing is a pain but it will end and then I can move on. My Dr. still has said I only have to do the 6/7 mos thing so I guess we will see when this progresses further. I had stage 2 so we figured going through this now was easier than waiting and possibly facing worse, more drastic medical issues later. I am not a "go to the dr." type

person so this has been completely out of my element and so the process of getting here has been so much worse than finally "doing something". Time will tell. If you have a choice and you can do the treatment, you may as well try it and hopefully you will beat it with a stick and move on with your life. That is what I want cause this has been all consuming for me and I have other things I want to fill my brain with and explore!! Websites like this one are very informative as well as the Incivek website in explaining the technical stuff but from what I have read so far, everyone;s experience is so unique that until you are on the meds, you won't know how it will affect you. I am trying real hard not to "expect" the side effects but just deal with what comes up. That will be difficult I am sure but I am still optimistic. Good luck on your treatment and keep posting. It is nice hearing other peoples stories and helps keep me grounded that I am not special

or alone in this process...Just one of many!!!

-

Guest guest

Sorry the name is: CeraVe

To: "Hepatitis_C_Central " <Hepatitis_C_Central > Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:13 AMSubject: Re: Re: Starting treatment again....

Hi all, another good moisturizer cram for your body is CERVA I got it at the drug store. My doc recommended it. The best I have ever used. They also make a face cleanser and a body wash.

To: "Hepatitis_C_Central " <Hepatitis_C_Central > Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:49 AMSubject: Re: Re: Starting treatment again....

Hi Tricia,

I'm glad you feel positive and as most of us,,this is our last chance to fight off this disease.

If I may, moisture (other then drinking) is really important for the rashes that I am sure are from dry skin and I do not have a problem with dry skin and here are the reasons: I use Neutrogena oil on my skin (I step out of the shower wet and put the oil on while standing on my towel and just pat dry). I didn't use it one evening and I had to get back in the shower later and get wet and do the oil for I started itching really bad. Also, I started using Aussie Hair insurance (leave-in conditioner) for my head has been itching and that seems to help. Petroleum Jelly on my face (especially my eyes) and throughout the day I use Banana Boat Kids 50 sunscreen stick on my face (I don't wear makeup so that is not a problem) and it doesn't hurt my eyes.

Love,

Sheila

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:15 AMSubject: Re: Re: Starting treatment again....

Guest guest

To: "Hepatitis_C_Central " <Hepatitis_C_Central > Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:13 AMSubject: Re: Re: Starting treatment again....

Hi Tricia,

Love,

Sheila

Guest guest

Thanks...I wrote it down.  I will look for it next week.  Tricia

To: " Hepatitis_C_Central " <Hepatitis_C_Central >

Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:13 AMSubject: Re: Re: Starting treatment again....

Hi all, another  good moisturizer cram for your body is CERVA I got it at the drug store. My doc recommended it. The best I have ever used. They also make a face cleanser and a body wash.

To: " Hepatitis_C_Central " <Hepatitis_C_Central >

Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:49 AMSubject: Re: Re: Starting treatment again....

Hi Tricia,

If I may, moisture (other then drinking) is really important for the rashes that I am sure are from dry skin and I do not have a problem with dry skin and here are the reasons:   I use Neutrogena oil on my skin (I step out of the shower wet and put the oil on while standing on my towel and just pat dry).  I didn't use it one evening and I had to get back in the shower later and get wet and do the oil for I started itching really bad.  Also, I started using Aussie Hair insurance (leave-in conditioner) for my head has been itching and that seems to help.  Petroleum Jelly on my face (especially my eyes) and throughout the day I use Banana Boat Kids 50 sunscreen stick on my face (I don't wear makeup so that is not a problem) and it doesn't hurt my eyes. 

Love,

Sheila

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:15 AM

Subject: Re: Re: Starting treatment again....

Hi Ned and Sheila...Thanks for replying....Yes, I agree....just knowing that someone else is going through this and understands is a huge help!  Having been through this before I am not scared/worried about doing treatment again, really....Just the first three months with the new drug has me anxious because of the description and horror stories that my doctor is telling me about.  She wants to show me bad pictures of the rashes of some people.  No thanks.  My mind is active enough to imagine.  I will probably go with the Telaprevir as that is the one that I hear most people going with and like you said...if you can stand it you might as well have the best possible chance.  I'm 62 so I need to get this done before I get any worse.  Now almost stage 4.  That happened quickly, unfortunately.  I was really surprised to get back my biopsy reports.  The doctor was even surprised.  My labs look good.

Well, I will be thinking of you and we can do this!  Tricia