RemedySpot.com

treatment

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Deborah, I treated when I was 66 and wondered how much was old age and how much was Hep C. I did not like the thought of feeling so tired and achy for the rest of my life. I can testify that after 9 months of treatment and four years of SVR that it was worth the terrible side effects of the treatment. I did not have to treat for a full year, tho. I am now 68 and feel soooo much better and have energy to do things again for the first time in 30 years. I didn't know I could feel so much better.

Sharon

Treatment

I have been so encouraged that the new drugs have been approved. But now that starting treatment is imminent, I am feeling somewhat apprehensive and depressed about going through a year of misery again. My doc is being very conservative and wants to keep patients on the new meds for a full year. I think that's the standard recommendation for Boceprevir anyway. This will be the third time I have treated. I really need to hear from some of you with SVR that it is worth it. Will it really make a difference? I am 60 and I am always tired with constant aching joints. I have no idea how much is old age and how much is Hep C. If I could get rid of a lot of this and have the energy to do things it would be worth it.Deborah------------------------------------It's a pleasure having you join in our conversations. We hope you have found the support you need with us. If you are using email for your posts, for easy access to our group, just click the link-- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hepatitis_C_Central/Happy Posting

Guest guest

Deborah, I too have been treated, but only once for 63 weeks and came back detectable after 2 weeks of stopping. The new tx is something that i would definitely do, but we're giving my body (and mind) a rest now....and we're also seeing how others do with the new treatments before I start. I had a VERY hard time with my previous tx as I had to have tons of transfusions due to being anemic, had to have a picc line put in for them and for labs that I had done every week (if not more often!). I've heard that the new drugs that are out, make you more anemic than just the riba and the IFN...does anyone know about this for sure? Anyway, I didn't know if it was tx that was making me so sick (I had a fever every time I did the IFN shots throughout tx) or what....I wondered if I was just being lazy the rest of the time....being off treatment was amazing...within a month my labs were normal and now I don't see my NP for 2 months...it will be 2 months on Wednesday. I feel soooooo much better now, it's amazing! I'm sure we will discuss going with the new meds and I think that we both agree that a in year is a good time to start again. Would "I" do it again? Definitely!!! Anything to get rid of this hepc would be worth it to me, even if I had to treat for 2 yrs I'd do it!!!! I don't have much liver damage (possibly a *LITTLE* cirrhosis) so I have time to wait....I have aches and pains from my multiple joint replacements (I am only 49 now) so I can't tell if it's the hepc or if it's just my bones that are sick or what. So I hear ya about bone aches....it SUCKS! So, as I said, I would do treatment all over again....and I will. Hope this helps you just a little....we all need support and you have mine for sure...Good luck!!BarbTo: Hepatitis_C_Central From: csharonxoxo@...Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 11:27:36 -0700Subject: Re: Treatment

Deborah, I treated when I was 66 and wondered how much was old age and how much was Hep C. I did not like the thought of feeling so tired and achy for the rest of my life. I can testify that after 9 months of treatment and four years of SVR that it was worth the terrible side effects of the treatment. I did not have to treat for a full year, tho. I am now 68 and feel soooo much better and have energy to do things again for the first time in 30 years. I didn't know I could feel so much better.

Sharon

Treatment

I have been so encouraged that the new drugs have been approved. But now that starting treatment is imminent, I am feeling somewhat apprehensive and depressed about going through a year of misery again. My doc is being very conservative and wants to keep patients on the new meds for a full year. I think that's the standard recommendation for Boceprevir anyway. This will be the third time I have treated. I really need to hear from some of you with SVR that it is worth it. Will it really make a difference? I am 60 and I am always tired with constant aching joints. I have no idea how much is old age and how much is Hep C. If I could get rid of a lot of this and have the energy to do things it would be worth it.Deborah------------------------------------It's a pleasure having you join in our conversations. We hope you have found the support you need with us. If you are using email for your posts, for easy access to our group, just click the link-- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hepatitis_C_Central/Happy Posting

Guest guest

Thank you so much! This is just what I need to hear. It's good to hear about

your experience from someone close to my age.

>

> Deborah, I treated when I was 66 and wondered how much was old age and how

much was Hep C. I did not like the thought of feeling so tired and achy for the

rest of my life. I can testify that after 9 months of treatment and four years

of SVR that it was worth the terrible side effects of the treatment. I did not

have to treat for a full year, tho. I am now 68 and feel soooo much better and

have energy to do things again for the first time in 30 years. I didn't know I

could feel so much better.

>

> Sharon

> Treatment

>

>

> I have been so encouraged that the new drugs have been approved. But now

that starting treatment is imminent, I am feeling somewhat apprehensive and

depressed about going through a year of misery again. My doc is being very

conservative and wants to keep patients on the new meds for a full year. I

think that's the standard recommendation for Boceprevir anyway. This will be

the third time I have treated.

>

> I really need to hear from some of you with SVR that it is worth it. Will

it really make a difference? I am 60 and I am always tired with constant aching

joints. I have no idea how much is old age and how much is Hep C. If I could

get rid of a lot of this and have the energy to do things it would be worth it.

>

> Deborah

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> It's a pleasure having you join in our conversations. We hope you have found

the support you need with us.

>

> If you are using email for your posts, for easy access to our group, just

click the link--

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hepatitis_C_Central/<http://groups.yahoo.com/group\

/Hepatitis_C_Central/>

>

> Happy Posting

Guest guest

Thanks Barb. I was anemic the last time too, but only continued for four months

and didn't need transfusions in that time. Yes, my doctor told me that the

anemia will be worse, at least with Boceprevir. As for the fever, I didn't have

that this time, but the first time I had a fever with every shot. But that was

in the old days before ribavirin.

>

>

> Deborah, I too have been treated, but only once for 63 weeks and came back

detectable after 2 weeks of stopping. The new tx is something that i would

definitely do, but we're giving my body (and mind) a rest now....and we're also

seeing how others do with the new treatments before I start. I had a VERY hard

time with my previous tx as I had to have tons of transfusions due to being

anemic, had to have a picc line put in for them and for labs that I had done

every week (if not more often!). I've heard that the new drugs that are out,

make you more anemic than just the riba and the IFN...does anyone know about

this for sure? Anyway, I didn't know if it was tx that was making me so sick (I

had a fever every time I did the IFN shots throughout tx) or what....I wondered

if I was just being lazy the rest of the time....being off treatment was

amazing...within a month my labs were normal and now I don't see my NP for 2

months...it will be 2 months on Wednesday. I feel soooooo much better now, it's

amazing! I'm sure we will discuss going with the new meds and I think that we

both agree that a in year is a good time to start again. Would " I " do it again?

Definitely!!! Anything to get rid of this hepc would be worth it to me, even if

I had to treat for 2 yrs I'd do it!!!! I don't have much liver damage (possibly

a *LITTLE* cirrhosis) so I have time to wait....I have aches and pains from my

multiple joint replacements (I am only 49 now) so I can't tell if it's the hepc

or if it's just my bones that are sick or what. So I hear ya about bone

aches....it SUCKS! So, as I said, I would do treatment all over again....and I

will. Hope this helps you just a little....we all need support and you have mine

for sure...

> Good luck!!

> Barb

>

> To: Hepatitis_C_Central

> From: csharonxoxo@...

> Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 11:27:36 -0700

> Subject: Re: Treatment

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Deborah, I treated when I was 66 and wondered how much was old age and how

> much was Hep C. I did not like the thought of feeling so tired and achy

> for the rest of my life. I can testify that after 9 months of treatment

> and four years of SVR that it was worth the terrible side effects of the

> treatment. I did not have to treat for a full year, tho. I am now 68

> and feel soooo much better and have energy to do things again for the first

time

> in 30 years. I didn't know I could feel so much better.

>

> Sharon

>

>

> Treatment

>

> I have been so encouraged that the new drugs have been

> approved. But now that starting treatment is imminent, I am feeling

> somewhat apprehensive and depressed about going through a year of misery

> again. My doc is being very conservative and wants to keep patients on

> the new meds for a full year. I think that's the standard recommendation

> for Boceprevir anyway. This will be the third time I have treated.

>

>

> I really need to hear from some of you with SVR that it is worth

> it. Will it really make a difference? I am 60 and I am always

> tired with constant aching joints. I have no idea how much is old age

> and how much is Hep C. If I could get rid of a lot of this and have the

> energy to do things it would be worth

> it.

>

> Deborah

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> It's

> a pleasure having you join in our conversations. We hope you have found the

> support you need with us.

>

> If you are using email for your posts, for

> easy access to our group, just click the link--

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hepatitis_C_Central/

>

> Happy

> Posting

Guest guest

I treated last time at 56, I did the whole 48 weeks of treatment. Like Sharon, treatment was no picnic for sure. But I just kept in mind the goal of me treating was a better way of life.

I treated 3 times in total. After finishing treatment this time. I turned into a different person, with a much better outlook on life. My enegry level is great. I think I have the enegry level of 30 year old!! I know that I can run circles around a lot of people half my age I do things that I couldn't do before. I do have creaky joints, and they hurt at time. But good lord, I am 58 who doesn't have creaky joints. And have a little pain at times. Nothing I can't handle or work out. I am very active with my teenage daughter's JROTC booster Club, I am Vice-President. That keeps me plenty busy, also I am taking classes to become a pharmacy tech. As I know longer feel like nursing is for me. But I love working with medicine and it all interests me greatly.

If you can treat, I highly recommend it, as living with this disease is no fun. Treatment is no joy in the least, but the way I figure it it was worth the 48 weeks to live a normal life again.

Love

Janet

"There are souls in this world that have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go"

Frederick Faber

Subject: TreatmentTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 1:12 PM

I have been so encouraged that the new drugs have been approved. But now that starting treatment is imminent, I am feeling somewhat apprehensive and depressed about going through a year of misery again. My doc is being very conservative and wants to keep patients on the new meds for a full year. I think that's the standard recommendation for Boceprevir anyway. This will be the third time I have treated. I really need to hear from some of you with SVR that it is worth it. Will it really make a difference? I am 60 and I am always tired with constant aching joints. I have no idea how much is old age and how much is Hep C. If I could get rid of a lot of this and have the energy to do things it would be worth it.Deborah

Guest guest

Thanks Janet. This is what I need to hear right now.

Deborah

>

>

>

> Subject: Treatment

> To: Hepatitis_C_Central

> Date: Sunday, June 5, 2011, 1:12 PM

>

>

>  

>

>

>

> I have been so encouraged that the new drugs have been approved. But now that

starting treatment is imminent, I am feeling somewhat apprehensive and depressed

about going through a year of misery again. My doc is being very conservative

and wants to keep patients on the new meds for a full year. I think that's the

standard recommendation for Boceprevir anyway. This will be the third time I

have treated.

>

> I really need to hear from some of you with SVR that it is worth it. Will it

really make a difference? I am 60 and I am always tired with constant aching

joints. I have no idea how much is old age and how much is Hep C. If I could get

rid of a lot of this and have the energy to do things it would be worth it.

>

> Deborah

>

• 1 year later...

Ok since I have managed to escape treatment for 5 years and was hoping to wait another year for the new drug…. Well am gonna start in November! I think I am over the shock now, been stewin g on it for 2 weeks and getting really depressed over it, but as of today I am bouncing back!I have done lots of research on treatment meds and accept the side effects, etc. Was has me the most dumbfounded is THE COST… whoa is exspensive. I have BCBS private policy but is still unaffordable w/ insurance. I applied for medicade but it only come s thru if my disability is approved??? Still cannot maintain household bills, food, dogs and horses feed, rent,utilities, even w/ assistance. The cost of treatment is astronomical and so Wrong!!!!!!!!! Then u include possible hospital stays, office visits, & un expected meds… What has everyone else done to get by and make it work? Also anyone on here, on Facebook?Thanks – Have a blessed day!Tonda

Hi Tonda,

I had insurance through my work and I didnt have any problems with insurance. I

DO KNOW that there are assistance programs provided by the drug manufacturers

and Im pretty sure

that the forum has the info as to how to find this info....

hugs,

jax

treatment

Ok since I have managed to escape treatment for 5 years and was hoping to

wait another year for the new drug.. Well am gonna start in November! I

think I am over the shock now, been stewin g on it for 2 weeks and getting

really depressed over it, but as of today I am bouncing back!

I have done lots of research on treatment meds and accept the side effects,

etc. Was has me the most dumbfounded is THE COST. whoa is exspensive. I have

BCBS private policy but is still unaffordable w/ insurance. I applied for

medicade but it only come s thru if my disability is approved??? Still

cannot maintain household bills, food, dogs and horses feed, rent,utilities,

even w/ assistance. The cost of treatment is astronomical and so

Wrong!!!!!!!!! Then u include possible hospital stays, office visits, & un

expected meds.

What has everyone else done to get by and make it work?

Also anyone on here, on Facebook?

Thanks - Have a blessed day!

Tonda

Hi Tonda,

I had insurance through my work and I didnt have any problems with insurance. I

DO KNOW that there are assistance programs provided by the drug manufacturers

and Im pretty sure

hugs,

jax

treatment

expected meds.

Tonda

Thanks jax, my BCBS has approved it, but is tier 4 on prescriptions for me, which is 25% of drug cost. These drugs r ridiculously priced! At any rate am exploring all options, including not taking treatment. Waiting on sonopgram and blood work results b 4 I decide! Have a blessed day!TondaSent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: 911jackie@...Sender: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:41:06 -0400 (EDT)To: <Hepatitis_C_Central >ReplyTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Subject: RE: treatment Hi Tonda,I had insurance through my work and I didnt have any problems with insurance. I DO KNOW that there are assistance programs provided by the drug manufacturers and Im pretty surethat the forum has the info as to how to find this info.... hugs,jax-----Original Message-----Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:04pmTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Subject: treatmentOk since I have managed to escape treatment for 5 years and was hoping towait another year for the new drug.. Well am gonna start in November! Ithink I am over the shock now, been stewin g on it for 2 weeks and gettingreally depressed over it, but as of today I am bouncing back!I have done lots of research on treatment meds and accept the side effects,etc. Was has me the most dumbfounded is THE COST. whoa is exspensive. I haveBCBS private policy but is still unaffordable w/ insurance. I applied formedicade but it only come s thru if my disability is approved??? Stillcannot maintain household bills, food, dogs and horses feed, rent,utilities,even w/ assistance. The cost of treatment is astronomical and soWrong!!!!!!!!! Then u include possible hospital stays, office visits, & unexpected meds.What has everyone else done to get by and make it work? Also anyone on here, on Facebook?Thanks - Have a blessed day!Tonda

Hi just thought I would add a couple of things . All the pharmaceutical companies have patient assistance programs . And as a previous patient on BCBS your doctor can do things like filing an appeal in your name to get the medications needed( tier 4 is supposed to only be 50$) . Also a real big help to get you approved for your disability claim is to get all your medical records your self , most people get denied because the doctors wait so long to send your records that they deny you . The records have to be originals not copies . I was in my 15th week of treatment when my husbands company was sold and dismantled and we were left with no insurance , I had to get patient assistance from the pharmaceutical companies along with SSI . The costs in cash are more than allot of people

make in months of work , good luck and think positive . To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 12:45 PM Subject: Re: treatment

Thanks jax, my BCBS has approved it, but is tier 4 on prescriptions for me, which is 25% of drug cost. These drugs r ridiculously priced! At any rate am exploring all options, including not taking treatment. Waiting on sonopgram and blood work results b 4 I decide! Have a blessed day!TondaSent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: 911jackie@...

Sender: Hepatitis_C_Central

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:41:06 -0400 (EDT)To: <Hepatitis_C_Central >ReplyTo: Hepatitis_C_Central

Subject: RE: treatment

Hi Tonda,

I had insurance through my work and I didnt have any problems with insurance. I DO KNOW that there are assistance programs provided by the drug manufacturers and Im pretty sure

hugs,

jax

treatment

expected meds.

Tonda

Hi just thought I would add a couple of things . All the pharmaceutical companies have patient assistance programs . And as a previous patient on BCBS your doctor can do things like filing an appeal in your name to get the medications needed( tier 4 is supposed to only be 50$) . Also a real big help to get you approved for your disability claim is to get all your medical records your self , most people get denied because the doctors wait so long to send your records that they deny you . The records have to be originals not copies . I was in my 15th week of treatment when my husbands company was sold and dismantled and we were left with no insurance , I had to get patient assistance from the pharmaceutical companies along with SSI . The costs in cash are more than allot of people

make in months of work , good luck and think positive . To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 12:45 PM Subject: Re: treatment

Thanks jax, my BCBS has approved it, but is tier 4 on prescriptions for me, which is 25% of drug cost. These drugs r ridiculously priced! At any rate am exploring all options, including not taking treatment. Waiting on sonopgram and blood work results b 4 I decide! Have a blessed day!TondaSent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: 911jackie@...

Sender: Hepatitis_C_Central

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:41:06 -0400 (EDT)To: <Hepatitis_C_Central >ReplyTo: Hepatitis_C_Central

Subject: RE: treatment

Hi Tonda,

I had insurance through my work and I didnt have any problems with insurance. I DO KNOW that there are assistance programs provided by the drug manufacturers and Im pretty sure

hugs,

jax

treatment

expected meds.

Tonda

I also have BCBS and I have a deductable of $5000.00. I haven't worked this year while on the meds and am going to send them $100.00 a month and that is the best I can do. Before I send the first payment I am going to call BCBS for this is my third time on treatment and the first two treatments I didn't have to pay any co payment so I'm confused at why this time around I'm in the hole of a few thousand.Sheila To:

Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:04 PM Subject: treatment

Ok since I have managed to escape treatment for 5 years and was hoping to wait another year for the new drug…. Well am gonna start in November! I think I am over the shock now, been stewin g on it for 2 weeks and getting really depressed over it, but as of today I am bouncing back!I have done lots of research on treatment meds and accept the side effects, etc. Was has me the most dumbfounded is THE COST… whoa is exspensive. I have BCBS private policy but is still unaffordable w/ insurance. I applied for medicade but it only come s thru if my disability is approved??? Still cannot maintain household bills,

food, dogs and horses feed, rent,utilities, even w/ assistance. The cost of treatment is astronomical and so Wrong!!!!!!!!! Then u include possible hospital stays, office visits, & un expected meds… What has everyone else done to get by and make it work? Also anyone on here, on Facebook?Thanks – Have a blessed day!Tonda

I went thru the stupid rigamarole to get on Medicare/Medicaid/SS/Disability etc. etc. etc. before my transplant. Incredible hoops they make you jump thru. But, that was about 2005, got my transplant in 2007, started the triple combo therapy this April. So far, Medicare has determined that I'm in some kind of bureaucratic space that now requires a co-pay every visit to my doc. Even tho' it's "only" $20, for some of us that small amount is unaffordable. I've been lucky where all that is concerned, I guess. I could certainly NOT afford it otherwise. I'd just have to die when my new liver was all used up.

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:04 PMSubject: treatment

Ok since I have managed to escape treatment for 5 years and was hoping to wait another year for the new drug…. Well am gonna start in November! I think I am over the shock now, been stewin g on it for 2 weeks and getting really depressed over it, but as of today I am bouncing back!

I have done lots of research on treatment meds and accept the side effects, etc. Was has me the most dumbfounded is THE COST… whoa is exspensive. I have BCBS private policy but is still unaffordable w/ insurance. I applied for medicade but it only come s thru if my disability is approved??? Still cannot maintain household bills, food, dogs and horses feed, rent,utilities, even w/ assistance. The cost of treatment is astronomical and so Wrong!!!!!!!!! Then u include possible hospital stays, office visits, & un expected meds…

Thanks – Have a blessed day!

Tonda