RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Trust pills anyone?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Supposed to? I wouldn't go that far. In order to be creative there has to be some sort of aberrant pathway that one can access and many times it's interpreted as autistic if it isn't with conventional terms. I think alot of artists have aspergers and or some autistic tendencies along with some possibly unwanted OCD. All this combined creates a world different enough for most of us on the spectrum. Now, some people on the spectrum want to see ultra-reality through certain drugs but, this ultra-reality evades us. It's like trying to live another person's life only to find that the self is so complex that it could never follow such a predicated, 2 dimensional pattern. We have to reach out to the world with our gifts. We have to get training in the accepted fields to better our own living circumstances and further the human agenda of artstic expression,compassion for disaster victims, and the advancement of science. So, with that said, I think it's best if everyone here keeps

aware that there's more satisfaction to be had by helping rebuild than to be consumers in the time that we have. environmental1st2003 <no_reply > wrote: "Ox­y­to­cin has long been known to reg­u­late so­cial in­ter­ac­tions, amongoth­er things. And au­t­ism, which in­volves marked so­cial

dif­fi­cul­t­ies,has been linked to low ox­y­to­cin lev­els."Thus, the au­thors of two re­cent stud­ies sug­gest ox­y­to­cin might helptreat au­tism. One team al­so re­ported that such a treat­ment im­provedau­tis­tic pa­tients' abil­i­ty to de­tect emo­tion in speech."My experience is that autistics have no trouble detecting emotions in speech. The problem is that OTHERS don't detect autistics detecting emotions in speech, thus it would appear that the problem lies with everyone else, not the autistics. Further, maybe autistics are supposed to be what they are. Lots of us have synesthesia. Are NTs supposed to use LSD so that they can experience the same effects?TomAdministrator

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

I don't think Aberrant is the right word either. Different wiring of some sort certainly, but Aberrant means something dreadful and perhaps unnatural.

I don't like seeing kids on heavy mind affecting meds because we hardly know what they do to adults. What they might do to children is long-term damage that won't show up for some time. By then, millions of kids will have been on them and affected to one degree or another.

Then there are the number of new stories that are pointing out that new studies show that anti-depressants aren't as effective as thought, and the drug companies suppressed those findings or presented them in a positive light, and hid some of the adverse side effects.

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

For all intents and purposes use your own words. ravenmagic2003 wrote: Nick wrote: " ... <snip> ... In order to be creative there has to be some sort of aberrant pathway that one can access and many times it's interpreted as autistic if it isn't with conventional terms ... <snip> ... "I disagree with the use of the word "aberrant" to describe creativity. Aberrant means "straying from the right or normal way" and/or "deviating from the usual or natural type."Those who are

creative are not straying from what is normal for them and who is to say what is right and what is not right as it pertains to the creative process? Furthermore, creativity does not deviate "from the usual" since creativity is required in a number of fields from the arts through to the sciences and many fields in between. As for creativity "deviating from the natural type" this refers in medicine to that which causes the body to act or react incorrectly thereby exacerbating a medical condition. I do not see where creativity interferes with the physical body thereby causing it to act or react incorrectly.Therefore creativity is not arrived at by way of aberrant pathways.RavenCo-Administrator

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Okay. Aberrant is off the list. How about something else? Aberrant simply means straying from the natural path. I am nice to gay people and act friendly towards them but, I think they're course of action is wrong. Do I tell them this in ther face? No. Alot of people see musicians learning an instrument. The areas of the brain lighting up during that can be seen because they exist in time. Same goes for any work of concentration, What is considered normal concentration? ADD is supposedly an aberration of concentration. So, what do people think causes it? Less response to endogenous dopamine in the brain. What about bipolars? Okay, they've found amygdalas to be more actve, some studies blame high sodium ions in their brains, and what's interesting is how the glutamate goes out of control very similar to an epileptic fit. Autism has been said to be caused by excess glutamate. Well, glutamate is what causes reactive oxygen species and unwanted activity when it is too high. It

damages the hippocampus much like drugs. Glutamate is responsible for alot of damage. The trick is to turn the glutamate into GABA naturally. Lithium comes close to doing just that. Alcohol is the principle drug of choice for it and so we see that there has not really been a simple way to do it. Everyone has a glutamate aberration unless they themselves are aberrant from the usual natural selection,VISIGOTH@... wrote: I don't think Aberrant is the right word either. Different wiring of some

sort certainly, but Aberrant means something dreadful and perhaps unnatural. I don't like seeing kids on heavy mind affecting meds because we hardly know what they do to adults. What they might do to children is long-term damage that won't show up for some time. By then, millions of kids will have been on them and affected to one degree or another. Then there are the number of new stories that are pointing out that new studies show that anti-depressants aren't as effective as thought, and the drug companies suppressed those findings or presented them in a positive light, and hid some of the adverse side effects. Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Social attitudes to creativity Although the benefits of creativity to society as a whole have been noted,[52] social attitudes about this topic remain divided. The wealth of literature regarding the development of creativity[53] and the profusion of creativity techniques indicate wide acceptance, at least among academics, that creativity is desirable. There is, however, a dark side to creativity, in that it represents a "quest for a radical autonomy apart from the constraints of social responsibility".[54] In other words, by encouraging creativity we are encouraging a departure from society's existing norms and values. Expectation of conformity runs contrary to the spirit of creativity. Nevertheless, employers are increasingly valuing creative skills. A report by the Business Council of Australia, for example, has called for a higher level of creativity in graduates.[55] The ability to "think outside the box" is highly sought after. However, the above-mentioned paradox may well imply that firms pay lipservice to thinking outside the box while maintaining traditional, hierarchical organization structures in which individual creativity is not rewarded. Aberration from societal norms is one way you can use the word aberration when describing creativity. The neurobiology of creativity has been addressed [29] in the article "Creative Innovation: Possible Brain Mechanisms." The authors write that "creative innovation might require coactivation and communication between regions of the brain that ordinarily are not strongly connected". Highly creative people who excel at creative innovation tend to differ from others in three ways: they have a high level of specialized knowledge, they are capable of divergent thinking mediated by the frontal lobe, and they are able to modulate neurotransmitters such as norepinephrine in their frontal lobe. Thus, the frontal lobe appears to be the part of the cortex that is most important for creativity. This article also explored the links between creativity and sleep, mood and addiction disorders, and depression. In 2005, Alice Flaherty presented a three-factor model of the creative drive. Drawing from evidence in brain imaging, drug studies and lesion analysis, she described the creative drive as resulting from an interaction of the frontal lobes, the temporal lobes, and dopamine from the limbic system. The frontal lobes can be seen as responsible for idea generation, and the temporal lobes for idea editing and evaluation. Abnormalities in the frontal lobe (such as depression or anxiety) generally decrease creativity, while abnormalities in the temporal lobe often increase creativity. High activity in the temporal lobe typically inhibits activity in the frontal lobe, and vice

versa. High dopamine levels increase general arousal and goal directed behaviors and reduce latent inhibition, and all three effects increase the drive to generate ideas.[30] So, while the reticular activating system is good for autonomic arousal and brainwaves the prefrontal cortex and "temporal lobe aberrations" are the brain regions much more specifically, directly, linked to creativity. ravenmagic2003 wrote: Nick wrote: " ... <snip> ... Aberrant is off the list. How about something else? Aberrant simply means straying from the natural path ... <snip> ... "In your previous post you said that creativity was an aberrant pathway and it is the use of the word aberrant as it pertains to creativity with which I do not agree.Humans, primates, mammals and many birds adapt to survive by being creative. Since being creative in the context of survival is a natural outgrowth of the survival instinct, creativity can hardly be called aberrant.Here is what is the natural path for the human brain, Nick.At the center of arousal and motivation in all animals is what is

referred to as the Reticular Activating System. The only part of the brain that is targeted by anesthesia is the Reticular Activating System. The Reticular Activating System is crucial to achieving and maintaining an alert state of mind.The brain's default state is the Alpha State where automaticness works when the Reticular Activating System seems to be absent. It really isn't absent but rather the automaticness of repetition kicks in. Breathing happens in an Alpha State (you rarely have to think about breathing). Have you ever driven someplace you've been to a number of times, only to realize that you have no recollection of driving there although you are aware you were the one doing the driving? That's because you got there in an Alpha State and that's all right. But the Beta State, when the Reticular Activating System is in full gear, is when full awareness happens. The Reticular Activating System

becomes is the filter for the incoming information.All stimulus enters through three portals: 1. Familiar2. Unusual3. ProblematicIf it enters through "familiar" then the automaticness I spoke of occurs. If it enters through either "unusual" or "problematic" then the Reticular Activating System devotes major brain bandwidth to logically resolving the conflict that interferes with automaticness.In the Beta State, the Reticular Activating System instantly seeks out any and all clarifying information. If the brain finds no relevant clarifying information, it will revert to the Alpha State. This is what is known as a False Beta. It is illogical for the brain to devote energy to solve a non-existent problem and os it defaults back to Alpha State.An example of a False Beta would be if there were two individuals in a room named Nick. If a third individual walked into the room and said,

"Nick ..." and you answered only to find out that the person meant the other Nick, you would go back to what you were doing previous to hearing your name called. Reacting to the sound of your name being called would be a False Beta as you realized the third person was not referring to you when the individual called out, "Nick ..."It would illogical for your brain to continue on the False Beta line of thought and so you basically ignore that thought process and go back to your Alpha State.Relevant claryfiying information for Beta States becomes a Reticular Activating System sponge and from the collection of relevant clarifying information, creativity kicks in as a logical solution is sought. If the information gathered is irrelevant, the Reticular Activating System discards it completely.Therefore, creativity in humans IS the natural path/pathway. Lack of creativity is aberrant.It is important to

use the correct word and in this case, aberrant is not the correct word when referring to creativity.RavenCo-Administrator

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

There is some evidence that facial expressions, many of them, aren't learned but are genetically programmed. I have read stories about explorers who contacted isolated tribes in the Amazon, Indonesia and other places and would find that a set of facial expressions was universal. Confusion, anger, happiness, and others were the same everywhere. Some other expressions, mostly gestures rather than expression, were different.

This makes sense. If as they say that 90% of communication is nonverbal, it would be helpful is everyone had the same vocabulary. It would also make sense that this vocabulary was innate.

I suppose one way to test this would be take a sample of newborns and place the each in isolation. Anyone that came around them would either have to be wearing masks or use certain, faked expressions, such as anger for happiness, etc., and see how they turned out. Not sure one could perform such an experiment though.

In a message dated 1/18/2008 12:34:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, no_reply writes:

"so looks have SeveraL meanings not just the clinial hey is this personhappy or scared. (alot is going on in a face not just one emotion)"One needs to keep in mind that looks are also learned. For those babies who do look their parents and siblings in the eyes, they grow up to mimic those looks when they experience emotions. It has been ingrained in their psyche and becomes second nature. "I am angry so my face contorts into this shape."But many people use these expressions to manipulate, and most people are not aware of that fact.TomAdministrator Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

There is some evidence that facial expressions, many of them, aren't learned but are genetically programmed. I have read stories about explorers who contacted isolated tribes in the Amazon, Indonesia and other places and would find that a set of facial expressions was universal. Confusion, anger, happiness, and others were the same everywhere. Some other expressions, mostly gestures rather than expression, were different.

This makes sense. If as they say that 90% of communication is nonverbal, it would be helpful is everyone had the same vocabulary. It would also make sense that this vocabulary was innate.

I suppose one way to test this would be take a sample of newborns and place the each in isolation. Anyone that came around them would either have to be wearing masks or use certain, faked expressions, such as anger for happiness, etc., and see how they turned out. Not sure one could perform such an experiment though.

In a message dated 1/18/2008 12:34:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, no_reply writes:

"so looks have SeveraL meanings not just the clinial hey is this personhappy or scared. (alot is going on in a face not just one emotion)"One needs to keep in mind that looks are also learned. For those babies who do look their parents and siblings in the eyes, they grow up to mimic those looks when they experience emotions. It has been ingrained in their psyche and becomes second nature. "I am angry so my face contorts into this shape."But many people use these expressions to manipulate, and most people are not aware of that fact.TomAdministrator Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.