RemedySpot.com

Re: Celiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance Info

Rate this topic

Guest guest

thank you for all this info! Recently, my mother was suspected of having this and she had the test for it and all was negative,, so we still dont know what is causing her constand diarrhea,, its been going on now for more than 6 months,, she has had two colonoscopies and nothing there either but perhaps some "microscopic colitis"... my own IgG was high while I was on tx but since has gone down into the normal range,, but my ana has always been negative but my RA is elevated along with my SED rate,, we dont know what is causing that, even after 5 years,, most docs dont want to work on it,, not sure why either, but oh well,, just wanted to thank

you for posting this info,, jax smalk50 wrote: Hi All,I was curious if any of you had been diagnosed with Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerance? I started seeing a new doctor back in October (due to finally being approved for Medicare!) and she ran all sorts of blood work on me. Most of my tests were pretty normal

but a few showed evidence that I probably have Celiac Disease or am at least Gluten Intolerant. I wasn't tested specifically for the disease but I had a high ANA and a very high IgG antibody test. I know that other things can cause these readings but I feel sure that I have it.I quit eating all wheat (a long learning process as it is in everything! - had to get a new toaster!) and soon felt much better. I had been diagnosed with IBD a few years before I was dx with hep-c in 2002 and had been having loose stools for the last few years. Earlier this year, I was having horrible problems with bloating after eating and was taking digestive enzymes to help with that. But nothing made it go away - my pants were tight but I was losing weight - I thought that I had ovarian cancer or lymphoma. I thought that I had been eating healthy - mostly Whole Foods stuff - lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats - and lots of whole

grains, as all of the books tell you to eat.......It's been a few months since I quit eating wheat and I feel so much better. No more IBD or stomach bloating!Since my testing, I have researched gluten intolerance and celiac disease and have learned how it is linked to so many other disorders -auto-immune disorders, like RA, osteoporosis, anemia and just about everything. It also affects the liver big time and can cause elevated ALT/AST as well as other readings and problems.Here are some interesting and informative links on Celiac and Gluten Intolerance. BTW, none of my doctors ever mentioned the possibility of having this disorder. One doctor came close when he suggested that I might be lactose intolerant. I've since read that it takes the average person 9-11 years to be correctly diagnosed:"Until recently, celiac disease was thought to be uncommon in the United States. However, studies have shown

that celiac disease is very common. Recent findings estimate about 2 million people in the United States have celiac disease, or about 1 in 133 people. Among people who have a first-degree relative diagnosed with celiac disease, as many as 1 in 22 people may have the disease."http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/"People with celiac disease tend to have other autoimmune diseases as well, including:" Dermatitis herpetiformis. Thyroid disease. Systemic lupus erythematosus. Type 1 diabetes. Liver disease. Collagen vascular disease. Rheumatoid arthritis. Sjogren's syndrome. http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/956622658.html"Celiac disease in patients with severe liver disease: gluten-free diet may reverse

hepatic failure."http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11910339"Gluten May Trigger Liver Failure Related to Celiac Disease"http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/431589Misc articles:http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/atriskpopulationhttp://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25298http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-Research:-Associated-Diseases-and-Disorders/Liver-Disease-and-Celiac-Disease/There's much more info out there! I hope this info might help some

of you. I know that it's helped me more than anything that I've done in years and I'm looking forward to my next blood work to see how going gluten free has affected my LFT's.Good luck!MJackie

Jackie,

I'm wondering if your Mum has developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. There is no specific testing for it. Usually one has to have a barrage of tests to rule OUT other diseases and at the end IBS is diagnosed.

I suffer from this and there are days where it is not pleasant. But it can be managed with OTC meds.

Luv

anne

thank you for all this info!

Recently, my mother was suspected of having this and she had the test for it and all was negative,, so we still dont know what is causing her constand diarrhea,, its been going on now for more than 6 months,, she has had two colonoscopies and nothing there either but perhaps some "microscopic colitis"...

my own IgG was high while I was on tx but since has gone down into the normal range,, but my ana has always been negative but my RA is elevated along with my SED rate,, we dont know what is causing that, even after 5 years,, most docs dont want to work on it,, not sure why either, but oh well,,

just wanted to thank you for posting this info,,

jax

Hi maryanne, yes she was diagnosed with that years ago,,but she had a sudden onset that still continues about 6 months ago of severe diarrhea.. she does take the OTC meds and they do not work for her, so her doc has given her other RX but they do conflict with her other RX meds,, its a wicked circle.. thats for sure! I personally believe, that its her 'nerves' that are causing this.. She has serious mental issues that I believe are causing this as the docs can find nothing in her labs or in her physical to account for this... anne wrote: Jackie, I'm wondering if your Mum has developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. There is no specific testing for it. Usually one has to have a barrage of tests to rule OUT other diseases and at the end IBS is diagnosed. I suffer from this and there are days where it is not pleasant. But it can be managed with OTC meds. Luv anne Re: Celiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance Info thank you for all this info! Recently, my mother was suspected of having this and she had the test for it and all was negative,, so we still dont know what is causing her constand diarrhea,, its been going on now for more than 6 months,, she has had two colonoscopies and nothing there either but perhaps some "microscopic colitis"... my own IgG was high while I was on tx but since has gone down into the normal range,, but my ana has always been negative but my RA is elevated along with my SED rate,, we dont know what is causing that, even after 5 years,, most docs dont want to work on it,, not sure why either, but oh well,, just wanted to thank you for

posting this info,, jax Jackie

Trust me nerves don't cause IBS, I was diagnosed when mine got to a point where it became ischemic colitis and then life threatening . Most meds don't work for it and the only healthy way of keeping the ibs under control is eating enough fiber and getting enough fluids in . Mine is also suspected of being caused by a heart problem that keeps that part of my gut from being adequately perfused with blood .

Recently, my mother was suspected of having this and she had the test for it and all was negative,, so we still dont know what is causing her constand diarrhea,, its been going on now for more than 6 months,, she has had two colonoscopies and nothing there either but perhaps some "microscopic colitis"...

my own IgG was high while I was on tx but since has gone down into the normal range,, but my ana has always been negative but my RA is elevated along with my SED rate,, we dont know what is causing that, even after 5 years,, most docs dont want to work on it,, not sure why either, but oh well,,

jax

Jackie

You're probably on the right track Jackie. Nerves or anxiety can play HAVOC with the digestion even if you don't have IBS!

Do you find that certain foods cause your Mum's tummy to flare up? I have to avoid things like peas, corn and anything with seeds in it because it just goes straight through.

I also had to have a CT the other day and found that the contrast they give you to drink beforehand also tends to go straight through - in a hurry too! So perhaps theres a chance one of her newer meds is doing it to her as well.

You have to be so careful what you eat or drink when you have IBS.

Luv

anne

Hi maryanne,

yes she was diagnosed with that years ago,,but she had a sudden onset that still continues about 6 months ago of severe diarrhea.. she does take the OTC meds and they do not work for her, so her doc has given her other RX but they do conflict with her other RX meds,, its a wicked circle.. thats for sure!

I personally believe, that its her 'nerves' that are causing this.. She has serious mental issues that I believe are causing this as the docs can find nothing in her labs or in her physical to account for this...

Nerves may not be the 'cause' Liz but being chronically anxious/nervous can make IBS a lot worse.

Luv

anne

Trust me nerves don't cause IBS, I was diagnosed when mine got to a point where it became ischemic colitis and then life threatening . Most meds don't work for it and the only healthy way of keeping the ibs under control is eating enough fiber and getting enough fluids in . Mine is also suspected of being caused by a heart problem that keeps that part of my gut from being adequately perfused with blood .

It probably and most certainly does for some .

It probably and most certainly does for some .

Hi maryanne Well we have tried to find some sort of reason or rhyme of her diarrhea but cannot find that anything has any effect on her other than sugars for her hypoglycemia so she has not eaten sugar for many years.. I WISH we could find some sort of connection but so far, nothing,, thats why I believe its her nerves. She lives with severe fear and paranoia and no matter how many times we reassure her that NO ONE has put a sattelite over her or is invading her privacy, she can only maintain the belief that its not so for a few days at a time, then the demons in her head convince her again and we go round and round... She is one tortured woman and no amount of assurances

or meds or counseling seem to be able to fix her thought patterns.. thank you for the sjupport tho anne! luv you! jackie anne wrote: You're probably on the right track Jackie. Nerves or anxiety can play HAVOC with the digestion even if you don't have

IBS! Do you find that certain foods cause your Mum's tummy to flare up? I have to avoid things like peas, corn and anything with seeds in it because it just goes straight through. I also had to have a CT the other day and found that the contrast they give you to drink beforehand also tends to go straight through - in a hurry too! So perhaps theres a chance one of her newer meds is doing it to her as well. You have to be so careful what you eat or drink when you have IBS. Luv anne Re: Celiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance Info Hi maryanne, yes she was diagnosed

with that years ago,,but she had a sudden onset that still continues about 6 months ago of severe diarrhea.. she does take the OTC meds and they do not work for her, so her doc has given her other RX but they do conflict with her other RX meds,, its a wicked circle.. thats for sure! I personally believe, that its her 'nerves' that are causing this.. She has serious mental issues that I believe are causing this as the docs can find nothing in her labs or in her physical to account for this... Jackie

Hi maryanne Well we have tried to find some sort of reason or rhyme of her diarrhea but cannot find that anything has any effect on her other than sugars for her hypoglycemia so she has not eaten sugar for many years.. I WISH we could find some sort of connection but so far, nothing,, thats why I believe its her nerves. She lives with severe fear and paranoia and no matter how many times we reassure her that NO ONE has put a sattelite over her or is invading her privacy, she can only maintain the belief that its not so for a few days at a time, then the demons in her head convince her again and we go round and round... She is one tortured woman and no amount of assurances

or meds or counseling seem to be able to fix her thought patterns.. thank you for the sjupport tho anne! luv you! jackie anne wrote: You're probably on the right track Jackie. Nerves or anxiety can play HAVOC with the digestion even if you don't have

IBS! Do you find that certain foods cause your Mum's tummy to flare up? I have to avoid things like peas, corn and anything with seeds in it because it just goes straight through. I also had to have a CT the other day and found that the contrast they give you to drink beforehand also tends to go straight through - in a hurry too! So perhaps theres a chance one of her newer meds is doing it to her as well. You have to be so careful what you eat or drink when you have IBS. Luv anne Re: Celiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance Info Hi maryanne, yes she was diagnosed

with that years ago,,but she had a sudden onset that still continues about 6 months ago of severe diarrhea.. she does take the OTC meds and they do not work for her, so her doc has given her other RX but they do conflict with her other RX meds,, its a wicked circle.. thats for sure! I personally believe, that its her 'nerves' that are causing this.. She has serious mental issues that I believe are causing this as the docs can find nothing in her labs or in her physical to account for this... Jackie

Im NOT saying that nerves 'cause' it but they can exacerbate it,, she seems always to have this diarrhea problem WHEN she is upset about other things.. My mom eats tons of fiber,, no sugar, no preservatives, only organic fruits and veggies and pasture raised beef and chicken,, she is such a health nut, even worse than me Liz,, and if she got anymore fiber each day,, she'd seriously have trouble,, she gets a minimum of 30- 35 grams per day and she drinks a gallon of water,, In fact we have to watch her because she cannot stop drinking water and has depleted her electrolytes many times causing her to be admitted to the hosp,,, she's just whacked,, I can say that cuz she is my mom

and I've watched her for years,, elizabethnv1 wrote: Trust me nerves don't cause IBS, I was diagnosed when mine got to a point where it became ischemic colitis and then life threatening . Most meds don't work for it and the only healthy way of keeping the ibs under control is eating enough fiber and

getting enough fluids in . Mine is also suspected of being caused by a heart problem that keeps that part of my gut from being adequately perfused with blood . Re: Celiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance Info thank you for all this info! Recently, my mother was suspected of having this and she had the test for it and all

was negative,, so we still dont know what is causing her constand diarrhea,, its been going on now for more than 6 months,, she has had two colonoscopies and nothing there either but perhaps some "microscopic colitis"... my own IgG was high while I was on tx but since has gone down into the normal range,, but my ana has always been negative but my RA is elevated along with my SED rate,, we dont know what is causing that, even after 5 years,, most docs dont want to work on it,, not sure why either, but oh well,, just wanted to thank you for posting this info,, jax Jackie Jackie

She should try lowering her fiber and increase her starches until the diarrhea gets under control . I find it hard to believe she is a bigger health nut than you lmao xoxo

jax

Jackie

Jackie

She refuses to increase her starches as they break down into sugar and that causes her even more problems,,, Yep, she and my fathers mother were both health nuts and thats where I got my good sense from,, lol hows your daughter doing? elizabethnv1 wrote: She should try lowering her fiber and increase her starches until the diarrhea gets under control . I find it hard to believe she is a bigger health nut than you lmao xoxo Re: Celiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance Info thank you for all this info! Recently, my mother was suspected of having this and she had the test for it and all was negative,, so we still dont know what is causing her constand diarrhea,, its been

going on now for more than 6 months,, she has had two colonoscopies and nothing there either but perhaps some "microscopic colitis"... my own IgG was high while I was on tx but since has gone down into the normal range,, but my ana has always been negative but my RA is elevated along with my SED rate,, we dont know what is causing that, even after 5 years,, most docs dont want to work on it,, not sure why either, but oh well,, just wanted to thank you for posting this info,, jax Jackie Jackie Jackie

Which one ? LOL I have 4 girld hehe

jax

Jackie

Jackie

Jackie

the daughter who had the dog that just died,, I am hoping that she is starting to feel better elizabethnv1 wrote: Which one ? LOL I have 4 girld hehe Re: Celiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance Info thank you for all this info! Recently, my mother was suspected of having this and she had the test for it and all was negative,, so we still dont know what is causing her constand diarrhea,, its been going on now for more than 6 months,, she has had two colonoscopies and nothing there either but perhaps some "microscopic colitis"... my own IgG was high while I was on tx but since has gone down into the normal range,, but my ana has always been negative but my RA is elevated along with my SED rate,, we dont know what is causing that, even after

5 years,, most docs dont want to work on it,, not sure why either, but oh well,, just wanted to thank you for posting this info,, jax Jackie Jackie Jackie Jackie

the daughter who had the dog that just died,, I am hoping that she is starting to feel better elizabethnv1 wrote: Which one ? LOL I have 4 girld hehe Re: Celiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance Info thank you for all this info! Recently, my mother was suspected of having this and she had the test for it and all was negative,, so we still dont know what is causing her constand diarrhea,, its been going on now for more than 6 months,, she has had two colonoscopies and nothing there either but perhaps some "microscopic colitis"... my own IgG was high while I was on tx but since has gone down into the normal range,, but my ana has always been negative but my RA is elevated along with my SED rate,, we dont know what is causing that, even after

5 years,, most docs dont want to work on it,, not sure why either, but oh well,, just wanted to thank you for posting this info,, jax Jackie Jackie Jackie Jackie

She went to her my oldests house on Friday to mend her little broken heart . I am headed out to pick her up soon .

jax

Jackie

Jackie

Jackie

Jackie

She went to her my oldests house on Friday to mend her little broken heart . I am headed out to pick her up soon .

jax

Jackie

Jackie

Jackie

Jackie