RemedySpot.com

Re: Ammonia Levels

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yes.. Always research all your medicines you are asked to take. Doctors make a lot of mistakes like this. It's well documented. Data on the drug class Benzodiazepines reports these issues on several sites. They are anti-anxiety/sleep aids and are used for a few other applications. I was given (3) different in this class during the last year since diagnosed with HEP-C. I had my GP check after I was having symtoms related to higher ammonia levels that I researched online. I have an appointment with this doctor next week to give him a piece of my mind. I now take Ambien for sleep and the levels went back within the normal guidelines. Good Luck.. agepeg@...> wrote: Hi All,I have a question about testing for ammonia levels. Has anyone ever had their blood tested for ammonia levels and NOT been extremely ill at the time? It's been suggested to me by an infectious disease doctor (who treats hep & hiv pts, but isn't treating me and can not treat me) that I have the blood test, however, my gastro won't order as she only orders it for pts who are "near death" (an exaggeration I hope). My regular doc insists it isn't necessary. Is anyone aware of any research indicating that ammonia level info is useful before one becomes very ill? I'm hoping that the collective experience of this group will help me determine how persistent I should be with my own doctor on this issue. Thank you for any guidance you

can provide!Donna Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

• 4 weeks later...

Although a rise in ammonia levels can signify a change in your liver disease the numbers you have right now are not considered high . I myself have a level of almost 200 and can no longer driver safely . What is considered a dangerous level really depends on the patients tolerance . There are those patients who at my levels would be comatose , so you see it effects each of us differently . The doctors go by a guide to determine if a patient has encephalopathy that uses things like mental confusion and shaky hands to comatose to get stage levels .- Original Message -----

To: Hepatitis_C_Central

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2008 2:53 AM

Subject: Re: Ammonia Levels

I have check the web for ammonia levels and could findnothing about what numbers are considered dangerous.My Ammonia levels went from 40 to 47 and man I was ina fog, confused, forgetful and uncoordinated. I feltlike a 80 year old Alzheimer patient!Talked to my ex-gastro who I called Dr. Death and hedid nothing except increase my Lasix. Even the Hep Dr.at Mayo Clinic minimized the importance of ammonialevels. He flat out told me they did not pay muchattention to ammonia levels??? Then he wrote me ascript for Lactulose?? So here I am with a new Gastro who lowered myAldactone YIPPIE! I can now sleep almost all night andonly wake up 1 time to pee. Gads I feel so much betterthis morning! Why I needed a potassium sparing drugwhen I had elevated levels of potassium I'll neverunderstand!The Lactulose seems to be working as well for theconfusion. I had my weekly blood work done Friday sowe shall see. I am still using my spell check functionon the computer so I still need help and improvementwith the confusion. Hey its only been a week onLactulose but geez I feel so much better!__________________________________________________________Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

Although a rise in ammonia levels can signify a change in your liver disease the numbers you have right now are not considered high . I myself have a level of almost 200 and can no longer driver safely . What is considered a dangerous level really depends on the patients tolerance . There are those patients who at my levels would be comatose , so you see it effects each of us differently . The doctors go by a guide to determine if a patient has encephalopathy that uses things like mental confusion and shaky hands to comatose to get stage levels .- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2008 2:53 AM

Subject: Re: Ammonia Levels

I have check the web for ammonia levels and could findnothing about what numbers are considered dangerous.My Ammonia levels went from 40 to 47 and man I was ina fog, confused, forgetful and uncoordinated. I feltlike a 80 year old Alzheimer patient!Talked to my ex-gastro who I called Dr. Death and hedid nothing except increase my Lasix. Even the Hep Dr.at Mayo Clinic minimized the importance of ammonialevels. He flat out told me they did not pay muchattention to ammonia levels??? Then he wrote me ascript for Lactulose?? So here I am with a new Gastro who lowered myAldactone YIPPIE! I can now sleep almost all night andonly wake up 1 time to pee. Gads I feel so much betterthis morning! Why I needed a potassium sparing drugwhen I had elevated levels of potassium I'll neverunderstand!The Lactulose seems to be working as well for theconfusion. I had my weekly blood work done Friday sowe shall see. I am still using my spell check functionon the computer so I still need help and improvementwith the confusion. Hey its only been a week onLactulose but geez I feel so much better!__________________________________________________________Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

My ammonia level is also high, but nowhere near as high as

's 200! Mine was 82 last month, down from 140's. The

lactulose seems to be the only thing that keeps my sanity and my mind

working. Normally, I take 3 doses per day, but my Doc said that if

I'm really confused, I can take a dose every hour. My wife is kind

enough to let me know when I'm whacked out! With love of course, so

it's really good to have that kind of support.

>

> I have check the web for ammonia levels and could find

> nothing about what numbers are considered dangerous.

> My Ammonia levels went from 40 to 47 and man I was in

> a fog, confused, forgetful and uncoordinated. I felt

> like a 80 year old Alzheimer patient!

>

> Talked to my ex-gastro who I called Dr. Death and he

> did nothing except increase my Lasix. Even the Hep Dr.

> at Mayo Clinic minimized the importance of ammonia

> levels. He flat out told me they did not pay much

> attention to ammonia levels??? Then he wrote me a

> script for Lactulose??

>

> So here I am with a new Gastro who lowered my

> Aldactone YIPPIE! I can now sleep almost all night and

> only wake up 1 time to pee. Gads I feel so much better

> this morning! Why I needed a potassium sparing drug

> when I had elevated levels of potassium I'll never

> understand!

>

> The Lactulose seems to be working as well for the

> confusion. I had my weekly blood work done Friday so

> we shall see. I am still using my spell check function

> on the computer so I still need help and improvement

> with the confusion. Hey its only been a week on

> Lactulose but geez I feel so much better!

>

>

>

>

>

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

> know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

>

Rick, you're very lucky that you have someone to help you remember to take it as some ppl when they are having the fog might not remember to take it or if they took it already.. I really believe a partner is sooo important in this! Rick Kipp wrote: My ammonia level is also high, but nowhere near as high as 's 200! Mine was 82 last month, down from 140's. The lactulose seems to be the only thing that keeps my sanity and my mind working. Normally, I take 3 doses per day, but my Doc said that if I'm really confused, I can take a dose every hour. My wife is kind enough to let me know when I'm whacked out! With love of course, so it's really good to have that kind of support.>> I have check the web for ammonia levels and could find> nothing about what numbers are considered dangerous.> My Ammonia levels went from 40 to 47 and

man I was in> a fog, confused, forgetful and uncoordinated. I felt> like a 80 year old Alzheimer patient!> > Talked to my ex-gastro who I called Dr. Death and he> did nothing except increase my Lasix. Even the Hep Dr.> at Mayo Clinic minimized the importance of ammonia> levels. He flat out told me they did not pay much> attention to ammonia levels??? Then he wrote me a> script for Lactulose?? > > So here I am with a new Gastro who lowered my> Aldactone YIPPIE! I can now sleep almost all night and> only wake up 1 time to pee. Gads I feel so much better> this morning! Why I needed a potassium sparing drug> when I had elevated levels of potassium I'll never> understand!> > The Lactulose seems to be working as well for the> confusion. I had my weekly blood work done Friday so> we shall see. I am still using my spell check function>

on the computer so I still need help and improvement> with the confusion. Hey its only been a week on> Lactulose but geez I feel so much better!> > > > > ________________________________________________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>Jackie

Being alone, I’ve learned some

tricks since I would forget to take meds. I’ve used magnetic wipe off

boards stuck to the fridge, the little AM/PM type pill holders, putting the day’s

pills in a plastic container on the kitchen counter.

Made me nuts when I would realize I wasn’t

sure if I did or I didn’t! The nurse practitioner told me that when it

comes to taking your riba dose, if you can’t remember…….just

take more!

Now I have eye drops twice a day too!

Crap! I think I’d better start an Excel spreadsheet to track all of this

– LOL!!

Dorothy

From: Hepatitis_C_Central [mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On Behalf Of Jackie on

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2008

5:06 PM

Subject: Re:

Rick, you're very lucky that you have someone to

help you remember to take it as some ppl when they are having the fog might

not remember to take it or if they took it already.. I really believe a

partner is sooo important in this!

,_._,___

boards stuck to the fridge, the little AM/PM type pill holders, putting the day’s

take more!

– LOL!!

Dorothy

,_._,___

take more!

– LOL!!

Dorothy

,_._,___

Dorothy, I can sooo relate to your quandary!! I have even put my caddy on my keyboard so that I will HAVE to see it every day and I still manage to forget some days. I'm off tx, but the mamory stayed out to lunch. lol DH and I both keep little spreadsheets with out meds and supplements listed for the various docs.

Sharon in NW WashingtonAll I have seen teaches me to trust in the Creator for all that I have not seen. Ralph Waldo Emerson

RE: Re: Ammonia Levels

Being alone, I've learned some tricks since I would forget to take meds. I've used magnetic wipe off boards stuck to the fridge, the little AM/PM type pill holders, putting the day's pills in a plastic container on the kitchen counter.

Made me nuts when I would realize I wasn't sure if I did or I didn't! The nurse practitioner told me that when it comes to taking your riba dose, if you can't remember...just take more!

Now I have eye drops twice a day too! Crap! I think I'd better start an Excel spreadsheet to track all of this - LOL!!

Dorothy

Dorothy, I can sooo relate to your quandary!! I have even put my caddy on my keyboard so that I will HAVE to see it every day and I still manage to forget some days. I'm off tx, but the mamory stayed out to lunch. lol DH and I both keep little spreadsheets with out meds and supplements listed for the various docs.

Sharon in NW WashingtonAll I have seen teaches me to trust in the Creator for all that I have not seen. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Being alone, I've learned some tricks since I would forget to take meds. I've used magnetic wipe off boards stuck to the fridge, the little AM/PM type pill holders, putting the day's pills in a plastic container on the kitchen counter.

Made me nuts when I would realize I wasn't sure if I did or I didn't! The nurse practitioner told me that when it comes to taking your riba dose, if you can't remember...just take more!

Now I have eye drops twice a day too! Crap! I think I'd better start an Excel spreadsheet to track all of this - LOL!!

Dorothy

Dorothy

I also have an Excel sheet for my monthly

bills so I don’t overlook paying something! I’ve fallen

into some credit card debt since I’ve been sick and it will kill me if I

get hit with a late fee on top of the interest!

I also have a spreadsheet like you and

your DH for meds. I have all my meds listed by name, dose, prescribing

doctor and reason for med. I try to keep it updated and put it in my

handbag along with the emergency number contact list. I printed a small

medical ID card to carry too. This is terrible that I can’t

remember, but someone on one of my lists posted this site the other day and I

have no clue which list I got it from……..if it was here,

thanks!! It’s a great tool!

http://www.medids.com/phorm/phorm.php

I also put a lot of reminders in my

Outlook calendar so that they pop up in the morning. I don’t know

what I’d do without all those reminders! I just re-entered my eye

drop reminder now that I’m back on the drops.

I guess whatever it takes to keep us

going!

From: Hepatitis_C_Central [mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On Behalf Of SHARON CROSBY

7:58 PM

Dorothy, I can sooo relate to your quandary!! I have even put my

caddy on my keyboard so that I will HAVE to see it every day and I still manage

to forget some days. I'm off tx, but the mamory stayed out to

lunch. lol DH and I both keep little spreadsheets with out meds and

supplements listed for the various docs.

Sharon in NW Washington

going!

From: Hepatitis_C_Central [mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On Behalf Of SHARON CROSBY

Sharon in NW Washington

going!

Sharon in NW Washington

YUP, that's the key, just keep puttin' one foot in front of the other and sooner or later, you're gonna get there. lol

I guess whatever it takes to keep us going!

THAT is a GREAT IDEA!!! Dorothy wrote: I also have an Excel sheet for my monthly bills so I don’t overlook paying something! I’ve fallen into some credit card debt since I’ve been sick and it will kill me if I get hit with a late fee on top of the interest! I also have a spreadsheet like you and your DH for meds. I have all my meds listed by name, dose, prescribing doctor and reason for med. I try to keep it updated and put it in my handbag along with the emergency number contact list. I printed a small medical ID card to carry too. This is terrible that I can’t remember, but someone on one of my

lists posted this site the other day and I have no clue which list I got it from……..if it was here, thanks!! It’s a great tool! http://www.medids.com/phorm/phorm.php I also put a

lot of reminders in my Outlook calendar so that they pop up in the morning. I don’t know what I’d do without all those reminders! I just re-entered my eye drop reminder now that I’m back on the drops. I guess whatever it takes to keep us going! From: Hepatitis_C_Central [mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On Behalf Of SHARON CROSBYSent: Saturday, February 02, 2008 7:58 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Subject: Re: Re: Ammonia Levels Dorothy, I can sooo relate to your quandary!! I have even put my caddy on my keyboard so that I will HAVE to see it every day and I still manage to forget some days. I'm off tx, but the mamory stayed out to lunch. lol DH and I both keep little spreadsheets with out meds and supplements listed for the various docs. Sharon in NW Washington Jackie

THAT is a GREAT IDEA!!! Dorothy wrote: I also have an Excel sheet for my monthly bills so I don’t overlook paying something! I’ve fallen into some credit card debt since I’ve been sick and it will kill me if I get hit with a late fee on top of the interest! I also have a spreadsheet like you and your DH for meds. I have all my meds listed by name, dose, prescribing doctor and reason for med. I try to keep it updated and put it in my handbag along with the emergency number contact list. I printed a small medical ID card to carry too. This is terrible that I can’t remember, but someone on one of my

lists posted this site the other day and I have no clue which list I got it from……..if it was here, thanks!! It’s a great tool! http://www.medids.com/phorm/phorm.php I also put a

lot of reminders in my Outlook calendar so that they pop up in the morning. I don’t know what I’d do without all those reminders! I just re-entered my eye drop reminder now that I’m back on the drops. I guess whatever it takes to keep us going! From: Hepatitis_C_Central [mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On Behalf Of SHARON CROSBYSent: Saturday, February 02, 2008 7:58 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Subject: Re: Re: Ammonia Levels Dorothy, I can sooo relate to your quandary!! I have even put my caddy on my keyboard so that I will HAVE to see it every day and I still manage to forget some days. I'm off tx, but the mamory stayed out to lunch. lol DH and I both keep little spreadsheets with out meds and supplements listed for the various docs. Sharon in NW Washington Jackie

Yahoo's email calender will do email and text message reminders, both of which I use all of the time for important dates. I have all my lab days and doc appointments in to give me heads up two days before and the day of. I'm not sure what I did to remember stuff like this a few short years ago. Oh yeah, I forgot about them periodically. MikeDorothy wrote: I also have an Excel sheet for my monthly bills so I don’t overlook paying something! I’ve fallen into some credit card debt since I’ve been sick and it will kill me if I get hit with a late fee on top of the interest! I also have a spreadsheet like you and your DH for meds. I have all my meds listed by name, dose, prescribing doctor and reason for med. I try to keep it updated and put it in my handbag along with the emergency number contact list. I printed a small medical ID card to carry too. This is terrible that I can’t remember, but someone on one of my lists posted this site the other day and I have no clue which list I got it

from……..if it was here, thanks!! It’s a great tool! http://www.medids.com/phorm/phorm.php I also put a lot of reminders in my Outlook calendar so that they pop up in the

morning. I don’t know what I’d do without all those reminders! I just re-entered my eye drop reminder now that I’m back on the drops. I guess whatever it takes to keep us going! From: Hepatitis_C_Central [mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On Behalf Of SHARON CROSBYSent: Saturday, February 02, 2008 7:58 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Subject: Re: Re: Ammonia Levels Dorothy, I can sooo relate to your quandary!! I have even

put my caddy on my keyboard so that I will HAVE to see it every day and I still manage to forget some days. I'm off tx, but the mamory stayed out to lunch. lol DH and I both keep little spreadsheets with out meds and supplements listed for the various docs. Sharon in NW Washington

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Yahoo's email calender will do email and text message reminders, both of which I use all of the time for important dates. I have all my lab days and doc appointments in to give me heads up two days before and the day of. I'm not sure what I did to remember stuff like this a few short years ago. Oh yeah, I forgot about them periodically. MikeDorothy wrote: I also have an Excel sheet for my monthly bills so I don’t overlook paying something! I’ve fallen into some credit card debt since I’ve been sick and it will kill me if I get hit with a late fee on top of the interest! I also have a spreadsheet like you and your DH for meds. I have all my meds listed by name, dose, prescribing doctor and reason for med. I try to keep it updated and put it in my handbag along with the emergency number contact list. I printed a small medical ID card to carry too. This is terrible that I can’t remember, but someone on one of my lists posted this site the other day and I have no clue which list I got it

from……..if it was here, thanks!! It’s a great tool! http://www.medids.com/phorm/phorm.php I also put a lot of reminders in my Outlook calendar so that they pop up in the

morning. I don’t know what I’d do without all those reminders! I just re-entered my eye drop reminder now that I’m back on the drops. I guess whatever it takes to keep us going! From: Hepatitis_C_Central [mailto:Hepatitis_C_Central ] On Behalf Of SHARON CROSBYSent: Saturday, February 02, 2008 7:58 PMTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Subject: Re: Re: Ammonia Levels Dorothy, I can sooo relate to your quandary!! I have even

put my caddy on my keyboard so that I will HAVE to see it every day and I still manage to forget some days. I'm off tx, but the mamory stayed out to lunch. lol DH and I both keep little spreadsheets with out meds and supplements listed for the various docs. Sharon in NW Washington

LOL I'm glad that technology has kept pace with both my aging and illnesses!! RE: Re: Ammonia LevelsTo: Hepatitis_C_Central > Yahoo's email calender will do email and text message reminders, > both of which I use all of the time for important dates. I have > all my lab days and doc appointments in to give me heads up two > days before and the day of. I'm not sure what I did to remember > stuff like this a few short years ago. Oh yeah, I forgot about > them periodically.> > Mike>

LOL I'm glad that technology has kept pace with both my aging and illnesses!! RE: Re: Ammonia LevelsTo: Hepatitis_C_Central > Yahoo's email calender will do email and text message reminders, > both of which I use all of the time for important dates. I have > all my lab days and doc appointments in to give me heads up two > days before and the day of. I'm not sure what I did to remember > stuff like this a few short years ago. Oh yeah, I forgot about > them periodically.> > Mike>