RemedySpot.com

Re: language question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

What's wrong with just using numbers? Why do you need to specify? If

your audience is medical, they don't need for you to break it down.

> I am finding myself without a good descriptive term to use in my exams. How

> do you guys describe obesity that is " beyond morbid " ? For body habitus, I

> usually choose from lean, muscular, well developed and well nourished,

> overweight (applied to BMI 26-30), obese (BMI 31-33) and morbidly obese (BMI

>> 33)

>

> Problem is, I have more and more patients with BMIs that are A LOT more than

> 33....like 46 to 56...and I haven't been able to think of a term that sounds

> nonjudgmental and still conveys the reality.

>

> Any suggestions?

>

> --

> Annie Skaggs

> Lexington, KY

>

>

--

Graham Chiu

http://www.synapsedirect.com

Synapse - the use from anywhere EMR.

Annie,

How about " severe morbid obesity? "

My husband just came up with that. Sounds better than " extreme morbid obesity, " which I came up with.

Durango, CO

I am finding myself without a good descriptive term to use in my exams. How do you guys describe obesity that is " beyond morbid " ? For body habitus, I usually choose from lean, muscular, well developed and well nourished, overweight (applied to BMI 26-30), obese (BMI 31-33) and morbidly obese (BMI > 33)

Problem is, I have more and more patients with BMIs that are A LOT more than 33....like 46 to 56...and I haven't been able to think of a term that sounds nonjudgmental and still conveys the reality.Any suggestions?

-- Annie SkaggsLexington, KY

Describing the truth is never judgemental...it is fact. The patient knows how big he/she is. They won't be offended and anyone reading the note will be prepared.

To: practiceimprovement1 < >Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:38:14 PMSubject: language question

I am finding myself without a good descriptive term to use in my exams. How do you guys describe obesity that is "beyond morbid"? For body habitus, I usually choose from lean, muscular, well developed and well nourished, overweight (applied to BMI 26-30), obese (BMI 31-33) and morbidly obese (BMI > 33)Problem is, I have more and more patients with BMIs that are A LOT more than 33....like 46 to 56...and I haven't been able to think of a term that sounds nonjudgmental and still conveys the reality.Any suggestions?-- Annie SkaggsLexington, KY

Describing the truth is never judgemental...it is fact. The patient knows how big he/she is. They won't be offended and anyone reading the note will be prepared.

To: practiceimprovement1 < >Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:38:14 PMSubject: language question

I am finding myself without a good descriptive term to use in my exams. How do you guys describe obesity that is "beyond morbid"? For body habitus, I usually choose from lean, muscular, well developed and well nourished, overweight (applied to BMI 26-30), obese (BMI 31-33) and morbidly obese (BMI > 33)Problem is, I have more and more patients with BMIs that are A LOT more than 33....like 46 to 56...and I haven't been able to think of a term that sounds nonjudgmental and still conveys the reality.Any suggestions?-- Annie SkaggsLexington, KY