Guest guest

How do you manage coverage when you are a solo practioner and are

leaving the country for a few days? Usually I take all my own calls,

all my patients have my cell phone number, and I rarely get any calls

as I have a small panel of young healthy patients. I can get the calls

overseas; however, there is the time that I am in the air that I am

concerned about.

Thank you.

I am a new member of the group starting a solo practice tomorrow in Phoenix (I've been a member of a group for the past 7 yrs). As an extension of the discussion below from Marty, if your patients see one of your colleauges down the street in your absence, I assume that means they are a " new patient " at that other practice, and that practice just bills for them just like any other new patient?

And what about if they're part of an HMO that specifies which PCP they can see or not see? Thanks Harter MD

You could change your message for when you

are in the air – let them know you will be flying and will return their

calls when you land, and they can go to the ER if needed w/o talking to you

first (some pts wait until hearing from their doc first). I haven't been

airborne more than 5 hours at a time, but haven't had any problems with

returning calls to my pts. Enjoy your trip!

A. Eads, M.D.

Pinnacle Family Medicine, PLLC

phone fax

P.O.

Box 7275

Woodland

Park, CO 80863

www.PinnacleFamilyMedicine.com

Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008

10:52 AM

To:

Subject:

How to manage coverage

How do you manage coverage when you are a solo

practioner and are

concerned about.

Thank you.

If in an HMO the pcp has to do a referral to you

I am a new member of the group starting a solo practice tomorrow in Phoenix (I've been a member of a group for the past 7 yrs). As an extension of the discussion below from Marty, if your patients see one of your colleauges down the street in your absence, I assume that means they are a " new patient " at that other practice, and that practice just bills for them just like any other new patient?

And what about if they're part of an HMO that specifies which PCP they can see or not see? Thanks Harter MD

A. Eads, M.D.

phone fax

P.O.

Box 7275

Woodland

Park, CO 80863

To:

Subject:

How to manage coverage

practioner and are

concerned about.

Thank you.

-- If you are a patient please allow up to 12 hours for a reply by email/please note the new email address.Remember that e-mail may not be entirely secure/ MD

ph fax

If in an HMO the pcp has to do a referral to you

A. Eads, M.D.

phone fax

P.O.

Box 7275

Woodland

Park, CO 80863

To:

Subject:

How to manage coverage

practioner and are

concerned about.

Thank you.

-- If you are a patient please allow up to 12 hours for a reply by email/please note the new email address.Remember that e-mail may not be entirely secure/ MD

ph fax

Call the insurance. There is an emergency and your PCP is out. Will they allow the one visit? I have successfully done it with my coverage partner.

To: Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:49:27 PMSubject: Re: How to manage coverage

I am a new member of the group starting a solo practice tomorrow in Phoenix (I've been a member of a group for the past 7 yrs). As an extension of the discussion below from Marty, if your patients see one of your colleauges down the street in your absence, I assume that means they are a "new patient" at that other practice, and that practice just bills for them just like any other new patient?And what about if they're part of an HMO that specifies which PCP they can see or not see? Thanks Harter MD

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Eads <michelle.eads@ worldnet. att.net> wrote:

You could change your message for when you are in the air – let them know you will be flying and will return their calls when you land, and they can go to the ER if needed w/o talking to you first (some pts wait until hearing from their doc first). I haven't been airborne more than 5 hours at a time, but haven't had any problems with returning calls to my pts. Enjoy your trip!

A. Eads, M.D.

phone fax

P.O. Box 7275

Woodland Park, CO 80863

www.PinnacleFamilyM edicine.com

From: Practiceimprovement 1yahoogroups (DOT) com [mailto:Practiceimprovement 1yahoogroups (DOT) com] On Behalf Of resaltzSent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:52 AMTo: Practiceimprovement 1yahoogroups (DOT) comSubject: [Practiceimprovemen t1] How to manage coverage

How do you manage coverage when you are a solo practioner and are leaving the country for a few days? Usually I take all my own calls, all my patients have my cell phone number, and I rarely get any calls as I have a small panel of young healthy patients. I can get the calls overseas; however, there is the time that I am in the air that I am concerned about.Thank you.

Call the insurance. There is an emergency and your PCP is out. Will they allow the one visit? I have successfully done it with my coverage partner.

To: Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:49:27 PMSubject: Re: How to manage coverage

I am a new member of the group starting a solo practice tomorrow in Phoenix (I've been a member of a group for the past 7 yrs). As an extension of the discussion below from Marty, if your patients see one of your colleauges down the street in your absence, I assume that means they are a "new patient" at that other practice, and that practice just bills for them just like any other new patient?And what about if they're part of an HMO that specifies which PCP they can see or not see? Thanks Harter MD

You could change your message for when you are in the air – let them know you will be flying and will return their calls when you land, and they can go to the ER if needed w/o talking to you first (some pts wait until hearing from their doc first). I haven't been airborne more than 5 hours at a time, but haven't had any problems with returning calls to my pts. Enjoy your trip!

A. Eads, M.D.

phone fax

P.O. Box 7275

Woodland Park, CO 80863

From: Practiceimprovement 1yahoogroups (DOT) com [mailto:Practiceimprovement 1yahoogroups (DOT) com] On Behalf Of resaltzSent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:52 AMTo: Practiceimprovement 1yahoogroups (DOT) comSubject: [Practiceimprovemen t1] How to manage coverage

How do you manage coverage when you are a solo practioner and are leaving the country for a few days? Usually I take all my own calls, all my patients have my cell phone number, and I rarely get any calls as I have a small panel of young healthy patients. I can get the calls overseas; however, there is the time that I am in the air that I am concerned about.Thank you.

A. Eads, M.D.

phone fax

P.O. Box 7275

Woodland Park, CO 80863