RemedySpot.com

Re: Medical Space

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You can do it both ways. I went to the area I was interested in and drove around. When I saw spaces I liked, I wrote down the phone numbers of the realtors and called them. If I did not like the space, at least I got a feel for what the going market rate was.

I did end up using a commercial realtor and got a good deal. Understand, the realtor works for the owner of the space and not you. That is important. Do not let all our cards out of the bag. I just signed on my space and negotiated down quite a bit. I saved quite a bit of money. I had 2 spaces compete for my business and in the end and it worked to my advantage. The down economy also helps with negotiation. The upper hand is yours.

Just for information purposes, the asking rate for medical space in my are is $24.00/ sq ft.

Wellington

Medical Space

I never had to look for medical space before I opened my practice. I was wondering-how do you find medical space? Do you contact a commercial realtor or just shop around?

You can do it both ways. I went to the area I was interested in and drove around. When I saw spaces I liked, I wrote down the phone numbers of the realtors and called them. If I did not like the space, at least I got a feel for what the going market rate was.

I did end up using a commercial realtor and got a good deal. Understand, the realtor works for the owner of the space and not you. That is important. Do not let all our cards out of the bag. I just signed on my space and negotiated down quite a bit. I saved quite a bit of money. I had 2 spaces compete for my business and in the end and it worked to my advantage. The down economy also helps with negotiation. The upper hand is yours.

Just for information purposes, the asking rate for medical space in my are is $24.00/ sq ft.

Wellington

Medical Space

I never had to look for medical space before I opened my practice. I was wondering-how do you find medical space? Do you contact a commercial realtor or just shop around?

I did not use any realtors, but used a few other DIY methods.I followed craigslist business real estate listings for a while to get a sense of what was out there.  I drove around my area to see if any non-conventional space was available for conversion.  In the end I found my space by calling up a chiropractor that's within walking distance, and asking if they happened to have a room or two they could rent me, and they did!  I got lucky - I'm in a pretty rural area, so my cost is ending up on the order of $2/sq ft for the exam rooms.  Less if I include waiting room space.   Super cheap! So consider visiting other medical/affiliated practices and seeing if they have space - even if they aren't advertising.  It does depend on how much space you want, and if you want your own space or are willing to share.    Part of the joy of being an IMP is thinking outside the box and not doing things the 'traditional' way.  -jess  Medical SpaceI never had to look for medical space before I opened my practice. I was wondering-how do you find medical space? Do you contact a commercial realtor or just shop around?

Dear Chirag,

Every situation is different depending on the city you are looking at. My best locations happened when I looked for the perfect location first, and then asked around about who owned the buildings I was casting glances at. My worst offerings over the years have come from realtors. Remember, realtors make money on the transfer from one place to another, so they make a habit of almost but not quite satisfying new people, hoping to get the client to move again within a few years. And they want to really satisfy their current clients, so anyone they can get into a place they have open and unused is fine with them.

My best location happened when I did a full eval of the locations of the people I wanted to serve, did a mapping of the other practitioners, found a hole in the map unused by any practitioners, looked there and spotted a building, looked up the owner in the tax office and cold called her to try to talk her into renting to me. It took three months, but she kicked out the non-paying renter and gave me the building; I was there 18 years.

Joanne, the MD in Drain, Oregon.

Subject: Medical SpaceTo: "imp imp" < >Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 11:16 AM