RemedySpot.com

Re: Office selection question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Wellington,I would vote for office #2 if I were you. As has been mentioned many times on this listserve, keeping your expenses as low as possible when starting out is crucial to your practice's success.When I went solo about 4 years ago, I shared office space with a chiropractor. In this case, we both shared a suite that had a common waiting room and bathroom, but we both leased from the landlord. He was an old school guy who charged $25 cash for a manipulation and I often felt jealous because in spite of his small practice, he was busier than me most of the time. He seemed to confine his practice to musculoskeletal complaints, and we only shared one patient thoughout our overlapping time together. I think a lot of his patients didn't have insurance. After he kept saying repeatedly how he was going to retire, I eventually "bumped" him out of his one room after about 2 years but it was a cordial takeover. He ended up moving his practice to his home where his costs were even cheaper. I have had good relations with the local chiropractors and we have referred patients to each other but I agree there can be good and bad chiropractors, no different than any other profession. If the chiropractor has marketing material or a web site, you can get an idea of what kind of treatments he/she is promoting and see if you feel comfortable with that.Good luck! SetoSouth Pasadena, CAThanks for the response. I too have doubts about chiropractors. I am trying to be open about their practice, but I think deep inside I am not sure I could practice in same office with one.---- a Mintek <mintekcharter (DOT) net> wrote: > If you are ready to get into bed with somebody, you better love him. > If you have doubt about the basic validity of chiropractic theory/ > applied "science", then marrying a chiropractor in a leaser/sub-leaser > relationship would seem likely to go badly. Here, chiropractors try to > treat ear infections in babies, and to do "maintenance adjustments" > every 3 months for healthy children of neurotic parents. I have seen a > patient with Thalassemia Minor and hemochromatosis, who was buying > double-doses of "MagnaGlobin" vitamins (loaded with lots of Iron) from > his chiropractor because that "doctor" measured his hematocrit, and > saw mild anemia ... I have seen patients with multiple myeloma getting > adjustments for shoulder pain, when those lytic lesions in his humerus > were about to go from micro-fractures to macro-fractures. I have > learned to bite my tongue, when a patient asks me about my opinion > relative to chiropractors (some of my patients have fathers, > daughters, or other relatives practicing chiropractic), but I don't > think I would sign a long-term business arrangement with a > practitioner whose practice was based on a theory I doubt. That goes > for reflexology, and Reiki, although I know people who swear they feel > better when they get those treatments, too ...> > > > I am looking for opinions from the group on my office selection.> >> > In my area, I have 2 office choices.> >> > One office is an old psychiatrist office( 1700 sq ft) and the rent> > includes all utilities except internet, cable and phone. The base> > rent is cheap the first year and increases the next 2 years to market> > level in my area. The lease is 3 years.> >> > The second are is about 100 sq ft smaller ( 1600sq ft) then office> > number one. The base rent price is the same as office number one's> > first year, but stays level. The rent does not include utilities.> > However, I counteroffered with a lower base price and I am awaiting> > the response. This office already has a chiropractor in the office> > subleasing about half the office and a marketing person renting one> > room. The chiropractor is willing to continue subleasing.> >> > Both offices are bigger than I need to start with but this is what is> > in my area. Both offices are ready to go now. Should I go with office> > number 2 as I can sublease to chiropractor and cut my cost or office> > number one with utilities included? Has anyone ever worked with a> > chiropractor and do you think this arrangement would work? I am> > thinking we could even split cost of receptionist when both practices> > pick up. I am trying to make the decision soon and I really need> > input. Thanks for the help.> >> > Wellington> >> >> > >

Wellington,I would vote for office #2 if I were you. As has been mentioned many times on this listserve, keeping your expenses as low as possible when starting out is crucial to your practice's success.When I went solo about 4 years ago, I shared office space with a chiropractor. In this case, we both shared a suite that had a common waiting room and bathroom, but we both leased from the landlord. He was an old school guy who charged $25 cash for a manipulation and I often felt jealous because in spite of his small practice, he was busier than me most of the time. He seemed to confine his practice to musculoskeletal complaints, and we only shared one patient thoughout our overlapping time together. I think a lot of his patients didn't have insurance. After he kept saying repeatedly how he was going to retire, I eventually "bumped" him out of his one room after about 2 years but it was a cordial takeover. He ended up moving his practice to his home where his costs were even cheaper. I have had good relations with the local chiropractors and we have referred patients to each other but I agree there can be good and bad chiropractors, no different than any other profession. If the chiropractor has marketing material or a web site, you can get an idea of what kind of treatments he/she is promoting and see if you feel comfortable with that.Good luck! SetoSouth Pasadena, CAThanks for the response. I too have doubts about chiropractors. I am trying to be open about their practice, but I think deep inside I am not sure I could practice in same office with one.---- a Mintek <mintekcharter (DOT) net> wrote: > If you are ready to get into bed with somebody, you better love him. > If you have doubt about the basic validity of chiropractic theory/ > applied "science", then marrying a chiropractor in a leaser/sub-leaser > relationship would seem likely to go badly. Here, chiropractors try to > treat ear infections in babies, and to do "maintenance adjustments" > every 3 months for healthy children of neurotic parents. I have seen a > patient with Thalassemia Minor and hemochromatosis, who was buying > double-doses of "MagnaGlobin" vitamins (loaded with lots of Iron) from > his chiropractor because that "doctor" measured his hematocrit, and > saw mild anemia ... I have seen patients with multiple myeloma getting > adjustments for shoulder pain, when those lytic lesions in his humerus > were about to go from micro-fractures to macro-fractures. I have > learned to bite my tongue, when a patient asks me about my opinion > relative to chiropractors (some of my patients have fathers, > daughters, or other relatives practicing chiropractic), but I don't > think I would sign a long-term business arrangement with a > practitioner whose practice was based on a theory I doubt. That goes > for reflexology, and Reiki, although I know people who swear they feel > better when they get those treatments, too ...> > > > I am looking for opinions from the group on my office selection.> >> > In my area, I have 2 office choices.> >> > One office is an old psychiatrist office( 1700 sq ft) and the rent> > includes all utilities except internet, cable and phone. The base> > rent is cheap the first year and increases the next 2 years to market> > level in my area. The lease is 3 years.> >> > The second are is about 100 sq ft smaller ( 1600sq ft) then office> > number one. The base rent price is the same as office number one's> > first year, but stays level. The rent does not include utilities.> > However, I counteroffered with a lower base price and I am awaiting> > the response. This office already has a chiropractor in the office> > subleasing about half the office and a marketing person renting one> > room. The chiropractor is willing to continue subleasing.> >> > Both offices are bigger than I need to start with but this is what is> > in my area. Both offices are ready to go now. Should I go with office> > number 2 as I can sublease to chiropractor and cut my cost or office> > number one with utilities included? Has anyone ever worked with a> > chiropractor and do you think this arrangement would work? I am> > thinking we could even split cost of receptionist when both practices> > pick up. I am trying to make the decision soon and I really need> > input. Thanks for the help.> >> > Wellington> >> >> > >