RemedySpot.com

Re: corporate entity malpractice ins, home/office

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi and Welcome,

What area of the country are you in?

Sharon works out of her home and loves it.

I was going to convert my garage to an office and I bought my house on a dual zoned property for a home business. But my local government insisted that no matter how small the medical practice it could never be counted as a "home businss" and I would have to seek a variance as well as do 40,000 of outbuild to include the ADA requirements. Be very, very careful. Lots of promises and cleareance were given to me verbally that were non-existant once I bought the house!

I am in New York. I do not have to have malpractice insurance on my LLC. I do have business liability insurance for falls in the office, etc.

Good luck.

Subject: corporate entity malpractice ins, home/officeTo: Date: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 9:44 PM

Hello, I'm thinking of embarking on a solo practice myself so thankyou all in advance for any help you might be able to provide. I'vebeen looking at the potential costs and with malpractice ins being oneof the large ones my question was:1) Does the corporate entity such as an LLC also need malpracticecoverage along with the physician's? I know in the groups I worked inpreviously there was a separate policy for the corporate entity. Ifso, does this make the the total cost for malpractice insurance nearlydouble?also,2) Does anyone have experience with a home/office setup? Are thereany pros/cons beyond the obvious? When choosing a building suitablefor this type of setup, do you have to make sure it can conform withADA guidelines (eg, wheelchair accessible)?Thanks for any advice you all might have.

Hi and Welcome,

I was going to convert my garage to an office and I bought my house on a dual zoned property for a home business. But my local government insisted that no matter how small the medical practice it could never be counted as a "home businss" and I would have to seek a variance as well as do 40,000 of outbuild to include the ADA requirements. Be very, very careful. Lots of promises and cleareance were given to me verbally that were non-existant once I bought the house!

I am in New York. I do not have to have malpractice insurance on my LLC. I do have business liability insurance for falls in the office, etc.

Good luck.

Subject: corporate entity malpractice ins, home/officeTo: Date: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 9:44 PM

Hello, I'm thinking of embarking on a solo practice myself so thankyou all in advance for any help you might be able to provide. I'vebeen looking at the potential costs and with malpractice ins being oneof the large ones my question was:1) Does the corporate entity such as an LLC also need malpracticecoverage along with the physician's? I know in the groups I worked inpreviously there was a separate policy for the corporate entity. Ifso, does this make the the total cost for malpractice insurance nearlydouble?also,2) Does anyone have experience with a home/office setup? Are thereany pros/cons beyond the obvious? When choosing a building suitablefor this type of setup, do you have to make sure it can conform withADA guidelines (eg, wheelchair accessible)?Thanks for any advice you all might have.

Hey welcome! if you go to impcenter.org and click on tools and resources in the bottom rt you get to the " wiki " where many posts have been collected so you do not have to reinvent the wheel.

Where are you?Jean

Hello, I'm thinking of embarking on a solo practice myself so thank

you all in advance for any help you might be able to provide. I've

been looking at the potential costs and with malpractice ins being one

of the large ones my question was:

1) Does the corporate entity such as an LLC also need malpractice

coverage along with the physician's? I know in the groups I worked in

previously there was a separate policy for the corporate entity. If

so, does this make the the total cost for malpractice insurance nearly

double?

also,

2) Does anyone have experience with a home/office setup? Are there

any pros/cons beyond the obvious? When choosing a building suitable

for this type of setup, do you have to make sure it can conform with

ADA guidelines (eg, wheelchair accessible)?

Thanks for any advice you all might have.

-- If you are a patient please allow up to 24 hours for a reply by email/please note the new email address.Remember that e-mail may not be entirely secure/ MD

ph fax

Hey welcome! if you go to impcenter.org and click on tools and resources in the bottom rt you get to the " wiki " where many posts have been collected so you do not have to reinvent the wheel.

Where are you?Jean

Hello, I'm thinking of embarking on a solo practice myself so thank

you all in advance for any help you might be able to provide. I've

been looking at the potential costs and with malpractice ins being one

of the large ones my question was:

1) Does the corporate entity such as an LLC also need malpractice

coverage along with the physician's? I know in the groups I worked in

previously there was a separate policy for the corporate entity. If

so, does this make the the total cost for malpractice insurance nearly

double?

also,

2) Does anyone have experience with a home/office setup? Are there

any pros/cons beyond the obvious? When choosing a building suitable

for this type of setup, do you have to make sure it can conform with

ADA guidelines (eg, wheelchair accessible)?

Thanks for any advice you all might have.

-- If you are a patient please allow up to 24 hours for a reply by email/please note the new email address.Remember that e-mail may not be entirely secure/ MD

ph fax

Hi ,

I'm out in Oregon and looked at home/office vs. residential house conversion to office. Local code and zoning and even local politics regarding development are the key determinants. I found that a " home office " (office in your own residentially zoned residence) does not permit a business where the public comes to the office. If I tried it without appropriate occupancy I could only get away with fewer than about 6-8 visitors per day. So certain practitioners such as massage therapists can sometimes get away with it without being " exposed " by their neighbors, but rarely a medical practice.

So a home office would have to be dual zoned or commercially zoned AND approved for commercial occupancy (which requires ADA compliance). I am in the process of converting to commercial occupancy plus ADA upgrades and I'm already beyond what I had intended to invest in upgrades- and I'm only half-way (I think). There are still no guarantees that I'll be approved but I consider this the expected risk that comes with a potentially good investment. So it's good to judge your risk tolerance in choosing your location. Renting or leasing or buying a commercial property that is already set up for a physician practice is always safer.

As for insurance beyond professional malpractice - my attorney did not recommend " malpractice " for the LLC. Instead, an umbrella policy for me, personally, and the usual commercial property insurance for the office. Probably worth the discussion with an attorney for your own state issues to be considered.

Stew Mones

Eugene, OR

Hi and Welcome,

I was going to convert my garage to an office and I bought my house on a dual zoned property for a home business. But my local government insisted that no matter how small the medical practice it could never be counted as a " home businss " and I would have to seek a variance as well as do 40,000 of outbuild to include the ADA requirements. Be very, very careful. Lots of promises and cleareance were given to me verbally that were non-existant once I bought the house!

Good luck.

Subject: corporate entity malpractice ins, home/office

To: Date: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 9:44 PM

Hello, I'm thinking of embarking on a solo practice myself so thankyou all in advance for any help you might be able to provide. I'vebeen looking at the potential costs and with malpractice ins being one

of the large ones my question was:1) Does the corporate entity such as an LLC also need malpracticecoverage along with the physician's? I know in the groups I worked inpreviously there was a separate policy for the corporate entity. If

so, does this make the the total cost for malpractice insurance nearlydouble?also,2) Does anyone have experience with a home/office setup? Are thereany pros/cons beyond the obvious? When choosing a building suitable

for this type of setup, do you have to make sure it can conform withADA guidelines (eg, wheelchair accessible)?Thanks for any advice you all might have.