In general, I find that the work involved with collection of the

20% from the insurance co. is nuts, and we are hoping to go non-par

because I have better luck collecting it from the patients than from

the ins. companies. (Thanks to all the folks on the list serv who

have put posts about doing this.) We live in a poor area and I know

that we will lose patients by doing this, but I am too humiliated to

tell you all how little we will be making once we are off our income

guarantee.

I believe it too. We had a patient last year who was always so happy to see us...said we treated him so nice. He had a ton of problems (one of which was depression) and he had definitely improved. Vicky spent alot of time when he came in working with him, getting his meds straightend out, all kinds of stuff. Then one day he didn't show up for his appt. So we called him and left a message. He didn't call back. After about two weeks of this he finally answered when I called. Yelled at me "I got another doctor, tell Dr C thanks for nothing!" Huh? wtf?

I was discussing this with Vicky, and we asked the MA if anything had happened. She said no, but during his last visit he had grumbled a little about us always asking him for the $17 and change co-insurance.

To: Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:45:43 AMSubject: was AARP, changing to Medicare 20% in generalI am afraid that I believe that many offices simply do not bill the patient if the ins. doesn't pay. I recently went to a Medicare billing seminar where the presenters kept saying that it was illegal not to try to bill the patient for the 20%, that writing it off as a matter of practice is something that Medicare can come after you for. She actually said, "I don't care if it is as little as sending the patient 1 bill and that's it, but there has to be some good faith effort to collect the 20%" I am

pretty aggressive about biling (we are struggling financially) and I hear from patients, "Why is this a problem? My other doctor's offices don't have this problem." (I think the other offices write off an extraordinary amount, or don't even realize what they are not collecting. I recently contacted the one person support staff of other neurologist in town (she does his billing) and she couldn't even tell me if they were in-network for a certain local plan). e-MDs does not allow us to charge the patient interest, which is ludicrous. I have argued this with them and they announced, proudly, that I could go in and add a custom code to every single overdue bill to charge interest. In general, I find that the work involved with collection of the 20% from the insurance co. is nuts, and we are hoping to go non-par because I have better luck collecting it from the

patients than from the ins. companies. (Thanks to all the folks on the list serv who have put posts about doing this.) We live in a poor area and I know that we will lose patients by doing this, but I am too humiliated to tell you all how little we will be making once we are off our income guarantee. ------------------------------------