>

> ---------------------------------

> Get the free toolbar and rest assured with the added

security of spyware protection.

>thank you for all of the info so far in regards to our transition

issues. i guess i AM FEELING JUST A LITTLE OVERWHELMED NOW THAT HE IS

TURNING 18. THINGS HAVE PRETTY MUCH BEEN TAKEN CARE OF BY HIS SCHOOL

DISTRICT AND ED. TEAM AT HINSDALE SOUTH IN THE DHH PROGRAM. I GREatly

appreciate any other input the group has for us!

amy ferrero

Guest guest

Thanks for responding...

This is a pretty good overview of the process.

Ellen

Ellen Garber Bronfeldegskb@...

Re: transition

My son is somewhat high functioning...his big weakness is social skills. We got guardianship for him, and I'm not sure I wouldn't have been happier with power of attorney. My suggestion is to get legal types to give you good definitions of how that plays out for an adult w/disabilities. Find out how that's passed along if anything happens to you.For SSI, he can't have more than $2,000 in assets. If he has a bank account over that in his name, start spending it on him. If you or relatives have investments in his name (but not his, since he's not yet 18), go create a "Third Party Special Needs Trust". After that's created, open a bank account in the trust's name and put $10 in it. What will ultimately go into this account is his inheritance from you. DO NOT PUT LOTS OF MONEY IN THIS ACCOUNT NOW! Once this is set, get any investments changed over from his name to his trust. Ta da! It's now not counted by SSI as part of the $2,000 maximum.To get SSI, you want to emphasize in your intake interview (btw, you can go alone w/o your son, esp if you have guardianship or power of attorney) is not that he is disabled. Disabled people can work. What you want to emphasize to SSI is why your son is not likely to be employable. We were able to do this, even though Neal had 2 small part-time jobs. Push the negative behaviors and give them the worst-case scenario. We settled the guardianship first, set up the trust ( & re-did our wills to get successor trustees in place), had my father transfer an investment to the trust, and then went to Social Security. Glad we did it in that order.-Gail amyferrero1 <amyhobswanaol> wrote:

this is my first time on your website. my son's teacher recommended it highly. my son is almost 18 and i have no idea where to start with the state process of medicaid/ssi. do i need to wait until he turns 18 in june to apply? he has a mental impairment and severe hearing imapirment and should be eligible for servives. i have also heard that unless he is severely impaired we dont need total guardianship for him, maybe just powers of attorney for health care and finances? i will take any advice. thanks!amy ferrero

Get the free toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection.

• 4 months later...

Very nice stefanie I like it!!!! Blessed Be AnastasiaStefanie <diddiejar@...> wrote: Transition <!--[if

!supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--> Fall has come again. The colors of nature intrigue me. The dead turn the color of red. The air

becomes cold. The sky becomes dark. Spiders find a recluse. Birds huddle side by side. The Hawk braves the storm at his back. I'm in a Fall mood. Infinite love, Stefanie Anastasia

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

WOW! I felt you watching the leaves, I could see the SPIDERS eek.. lol

This was really and truly beautiful.. I felt the wind cold and saw as

it darkened the sky by way of clouds.. Thank you so much!!

Love

~Karma

>

>

> Transition

>

>

>

> Fall has come again.

>

> The colors of nature intrigue me.

>

> The dead turn the color of red.

>

> The air becomes cold.

>

> The sky becomes dark.

>

> Spiders find a recluse.

>

> Birds huddle side by side.

>

> The Hawk braves the storm

>

> at his back.

>

>

>

>

>

> I'm in a Fall mood. [;;)] Infinite love,

>

> Stefanie

>

Thanks Anastasia! lot's of love to you!Stefanie> Transition> > <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->> > Fall has come again.> > The colors of nature intrigue me.> > The dead turn the color of red.> > The air becomes cold.> > The sky becomes dark.> > Spiders find a recluse.> > Birds huddle side by side.> > The Hawk braves the storm> > at his back.> > > > I'm in a Fall mood. Infinite love,> Stefanie> > > > > > > Anastasia> > ---------------------------------> Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows.> Answers - Check it out.>

Thank you again beautiful . Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. It's so beautiful! Much MUCH love,Stef> >> > > > Transition> > > > > > > > Fall has come again.> > > > The colors of nature intrigue me.> > > > The dead turn the color of red.> > > > The air becomes cold.> > > > The sky becomes dark.> > > > Spiders find a recluse.> > > > Birds huddle side by side.> > > > The Hawk braves the storm> > > > at his back.> > > > > > > > > > > > I'm in a Fall mood. [;;)] Infinite love,> > > > Stefanie> >>