RemedySpot.com

Affirmations for Addictions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

"Affirmations for Addictions" Written by Louise L. Hay

"ADDICTIONS CHECKLIST:

Check the items below that you believe are applicable to you. By the end of this chapter, you will be able to counter these negative thoughts with positive ones.

1. I want to relieve my pain NOW.

2. Smoking cigarettes reduces my stress.

3. Having lots of sex keeps me from thinking.

4. I can't stop eating.

5. Drinking makes me popular.

6. I need perfection.

7. I gamble too much.

8. I need my tranquilizers.

9. I can't stop buying things.

10. I have a problem getting away from abusive relationships.

"Addictive behavior is another way of saying, "I'm not good enough." When we're caught in this type of behavior, we're trying to run away from ourselves. We don't want to be in touch with our feelings. Something that we're believing, remembering, saying, or doing is too painful for us to look at; so we overeat, drink, engage in compulsive sexual behavior, take pills, spend money that we don't have, and create abusive love relationships.

"There are 12-step programs that deal with most of these addictions, and they work well for thousands of people. If you have a serious addiction problem, I encourage you to join Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or Al-Anon. They will provide you with the help you need as you go through these important changes.

"In this chapter, we can't hope to duplicate the results that these programs have produced for people with addictive behavior. I believe that we must first realize that there's a need in ourselves for these compulsive actions. That need must be released before the behavior can be changed.

"Loving and approving of yourself, trusting in the process of life, and feeling safe because you know the power of your own mind are extremely important issues when dealing with addictive behaviors. My experience with addicted persons has shown me that most of these individuals possess a deep self-hatred. They're very unforgiving of themselves. Day after day, they punish themselves. Why? Because somewhere along the line (most likely as children), they bought the idea that they weren't good enough -- they were "bad" and in need of punishment.

"Early childhood experiences that involve physical, emotional, or sexual abuse contribute to that type of self-hatred. Honesty, forgiveness, self-love, and a willingness to live in the truth can help heal these early wounds and give addictive individuals a reprieve from their behavior. I also find the addictive personality to be a fearful one. There's a great fear of letting go and trusting the process of life. As long as we believe that the world is an unsafe place with people and situations waiting to "get" us -- then that belief will be our reality.

"Are you willing to let go of ideas and beliefs that don't support and nurture you? If so, then you're ready to continue this journey.

EXERCISE: Release Your Addictions

"This is where the changes take place --right here and now in our own minds! Take some deep breaths; close your eyes; and think about the person, place, or thing that you're addicted to. Think of the insanity behind the addiction. You're trying to fix what you think is wrong inside of you by grabbing on to something that's outside of you. The point of power is in the present moment, and you can begin to make a shift today.

"Once again, be willing to release the need. Say: "I AM WILLING TO RELEASE THE NEED FOR _________________________ IN MY LIFE. I RELEASE IT NOW AND TRUST IN THE PROCESS OF LIFE TO MEET MY NEEDS."

"Say this statement every morning in your daily meditation and prayers. You've taken another step to freedom.

EXERCISE: Your Secret Addiction

"List ten secrets that you've never shared with anyone regarding your addiction. If you're an overeater, maybe you've eaten out of a garbage can. If you're an alcoholic, you may have kept alcohol in your car so you could drink while driving. If you're a compulsive gambler, perhaps you put your family in jeopardy in order to borrow money to feed your gambling problem. Be totally honest and open.

"How do you feel now? Look at your "worst" secret. Visualize yourself at that period in your life, and LOVE that person. Express how much you love and forgive him or her. Look into the mirror and say, "I forgive you, and I love you exactly as you are." Breathe.

EXERCISE: Ask Your Family

"Let's go back to your childhood for a moment and answer a few questions.

1. My mother always made me ....

2. What I really wanted her to say was . . . .

3. What my mother really didn't know was . . . .

4. My father told me I shouldn't . . . .

5. If my father only knew . . . .

6. I wish I could have told my father . . .

7. Mother, I forgive you for . . . .

8. Father, I forgive you for . . . .

"Many people tell me that they can't enjoy today because of something that happened in the past. Holding on to the past ONLY HURTS US. We're refusing to live in the moment. The past is over and can't be changed. This is the only moment we can experience.

EXERCISE: Releasing the Past

"Now let's clean up the past in our minds. Release the emotional attachments to it. Allow the memories to just be memories.

"If you remember what you wore at the age of ten, there's usually no attachment. It's just a memory. That can be the same for ALL of the past events in our lives. As we let go, we become free to use all of our mental power to enjoy this moment and create a bright future.

"We don't have to keep punishing ourselves for the past.

"1. List all of the things you're willing to let go of.

2. How willing are you to let go? Notice your reactions, and write them down.

3. What will you have to do to let these things go? How willing are you to do so?

EXERCISE: Self-Approval

"Since self-hatred plays such an important role in addictive behavior, we will now do one of my favorite exercises. I've given this exercise to thousands of people, and the results are phenomenal.

"Every time you think about your addiction for the next month, say over and over to yourself," I APPROVE OF MYSELF."

"Do this three or four hundred times a day. No, it's not too many times. When you're worrying, you'll go over your problem at least that many times in a day. Let "I approve of myself" become a waking mantra, something that you say over and over to yourself, almost nonstop.

"Saying this statement is guaranteed to bring up everything in your consciousness that is in opposition. When a negative thought comes into your mind, such as "How can you approve of yourself -- you spent all of your money," or "You just ate two pieces of cake," or "You'll never amount to anything" -- or whatever your negative babble may be, THIS is the time to take mental control. Give this thought no importance. Just see it for what it is -- another way to keep you stuck in the past. Gently say to this thought, "Thank you for sharing. I let you go. I approve of myself." These thoughts of resistance will have no power over you unless you choose to believe them.

***************************************************************************************************************

"The statements in the checklist at the beginning of this chapter are repeated below, along with an affirmation corresponding to each belief. Make these affirmations part of your daily routine. Say them often in the car, at work, while looking in the mirror, or anytime you feel your negative beliefs surfacing.

1. I want to relieve my pain NOW.

Affirm: "I AM AT PEACE."

2. Smoking cigarettes reduces my stress.

Affirm: "I RELEASE MY STRESS WITH DEEP BREATHING."

3. Having lots of sex keeps me from thinking.

Affirm: "I HAVE THE POWER, STRENGTH, AND KNOWLEDGE TO HANDLE EVERYTHING IN MY LIFE."

4. I can't stop eating.

Affirm: "I NOURISH MYSELF WITH MY OWN LOVE."

5. Drinking makes me popular.

Affirm: "I RADIATE ACCEPTANCE, AND I AM DEEPLY LOVED BY OTHERS."

6. I need perfection.

Affirm: "I RELEASE THAT SILLY BELIEF. I AM ENOUGH JUST AS I AM."

7. I gamble too much.

Affirm: "I AM OPEN TO THE WISDOM WITHIN. I AM AT PEACE."

8. I need my tranquilizers.

Affirm: "I RELAX INTO THE FLOW OF LIFE AND LET LIFE PROVIDE ALL THAT I NEED EASILY AND COMFORTABLY."

9. I can't stop buying things.

Affirm: "I AM WILLING TO CREATE NEW THOUGHTS ABOUT MYSELF AND MY LIFE."

10. I have a problem getting away from abusive relationships.

Affirm: "NO ONE CAN MISTREAT ME. I LOVE, APPRECIATE, AND RESPECT MYSELF."

Affirmation: "I GIVE MYSELF PERMISSION TO CHANGE."

Copyright 2005 by Louise L. Hay. "You Can Heal Your Life Affirmation Kit" (guidebook), Written by Louise L. Hay, Published by Hay House Inc.

www.hayhouse.com or

*** I most highly recommend the "You Can Heal Your Life Affirmation Kit" as it is full of information and tools to make affirmations work for you better. Try it out, and see! Love, PJ