RemedySpot.com

Natural Dying Process-A

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi le,

Having spent over seven years as a hospice volunteer, I've had the honor of being with several loved ones as they've passed. The suggestions given by others have been very good. However, each person's process is unique. A very helpful book (available through your local hospice and other sources) is "The True Work of Dying" by Jan Sellikan Bernard. She is an RN, ND and founder of Hopewell House (hospice) in the Portland area. I've worked with her, and found her insights to be very valuable.

You can think of the dying process as the opposite of birth in many ways. The closer one gets to death, the more retracted, and focused the energies. As someone passes, their energy leaves through the crown chakra. Your family members need to give permission for the person to pass. This permission is a respectful way of allowing the person to choose the manner and timing of his (her) passing. I once asked an experienced hospice chaplain if he had noticed any particular patterns in passing --his comment was that even people who had experienced pain, tended to pass in peace, regardless of their faith. There are several homeopathic remedies which can be helpful in the last stages of this process. (for family members too!)

Care is focused on palliation and comfort. I've always found asking the person what they would like to do is helpful. For example, my late husband wrote his own obituary. As "morbid" as that may sound, it was simply another way he could get closure on his life. Being able to talk about death is one of the ways of honoring this natural process. Your healing insights and heartful connection will be your best guides on making choices.

If you have more questions, feel free to contact me personally, drbenton@....

Dr. Benton, ND http://www.countrydoc.com (Family Practice and Chronic "Wellness")