RemedySpot.com

What is least non-toxic flooring available?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, all -

I am researching the safest flooring (excepting wool carpet and pad which is I

know is safe but cost-prohibitive) for me. I am chemically sensitive and found

an apt. where the management is willing to remove the existing carpet and pad

and work with me on flooring options. The previous carpet and pad in the apt.

was old and therefore acceptable since it no longer off-gassed, but when the

apt. management hired a carpet cleaner to clean it using hot water extraction

only at my request, the carpet cleaner applied shampoo and a chemical deodorizer

to the carpet which turned it toxic for me. So, after several weeks of airing

out the apt. the off-gassing from the carpet cleaning is still present. We

decided to just rip out the carpet/pad and let the unit air out and then put

down new flooring.

I performed my own research and discovered a carpet pad called Healthier Choice

sold by Home Depot and a local furniture store. It is made w/polyurethane foam

and supposedly manufactured using BiOH soy-based materials and has very low VOC

emissions. I was thinking of getting that (unless anyone knows of an even safer

carpet pad) and then letting the management lay their own carpet over it since I

can't afford to pay for both a safer carpet and AND carpeting. I figure that it

would be the lesser of two evils to have the apartment's standard use cheap

carpet off-gas rather than the pad since the carpet is exposed to the air where

the pad is not. I could remain out of the apt. for a month or two if necessary

but have no idea how long the off-gassing would take. Also, the apt. management

said they can attach the carpet pad to the cement floor with nails so no glues

would be used.

Another choice is using linoleum flooring (not vinyl) which I understand still

emits VOCs but a lot less than vinyl flooring. I read there are linoleum squares

that lock together which would eliminate using toxic glues. What is the real

difference between lineolum and vinyl for a sensitive person?

The only other choice would be ceramic flooring which I know is the safest for

people like me but the management does not want to install ceramic tile,

unfortunately.

I am pleased that the apt. management is willing to work with me on making the

unit non-toxic. The carpet and pad was ripped out last weekend and now the apt.

of airing out. I have only a few days to come up with a suggestion to them as

to what kind of flooring to use. They are clueless as to what is toxic or not

and are letting me figure it out and provide suggestions by the end of the week.

You've always been so helpful to me in the past, so I'm turning to you again for

guidance.

Thanks so much for your help.

Carol

Carol

The flooring that will be best for you may not be best for others; there is a real difference between individuals who built up their sensitivities in complex ways.

Much of the 'common knowledge' on materials is not necessarily correct anymore. When I have recommend flooring it has always been for those with money, but you could start with the flooring alternatives from GREENGUARD (www.greenguard.org). Although their standards should really be upgraded, as per some of the work in California, they still weed out the worst materials. Get samples and try them to see what is OK. Make two or more pieces and store one outside for a week or so and test for short-term and week old reactions. The solvents move out quickly but the SVOC take longer. In the long run we do not know what is safest even for the average person; the already-sensitized will have to get involved with their own selection. My wife and I are both sensitized but there is a whole array of materials over which we have very different reactions. neither of is 'right' and neither is 'wrong' - we are just different.

Jim H. White SSC

What is least non-toxic flooring available?

Hi, all -I am researching the safest flooring (excepting wool carpet and pad which is I know is safe but cost-prohibitive) for me. I am chemically sensitive and found an apt. where the management is willing to remove the existing carpet and pad and work with me on flooring options. The previous carpet and pad in the apt. was old and therefore acceptable since it no longer off-gassed, but when the apt. management hired a carpet cleaner to clean it using hot water extraction only at my request, the carpet cleaner applied shampoo and a chemical deodorizer to the carpet which turned it toxic for me. So, after several weeks of airing out the apt. the off-gassing from the carpet cleaning is still present. We decided to just rip out the carpet/pad and let the unit air out and then put down new flooring.I performed my own research and discovered a carpet pad called Healthier Choice sold by Home Depot and a local furniture store. It is made w/polyurethane foam and supposedly manufactured using BiOH soy-based materials and has very low VOC emissions. I was thinking of getting that (unless anyone knows of an even safer carpet pad) and then letting the management lay their own carpet over it since I can't afford to pay for both a safer carpet and AND carpeting. I figure that it would be the lesser of two evils to have the apartment's standard use cheap carpet off-gas rather than the pad since the carpet is exposed to the air where the pad is not. I could remain out of the apt. for a month or two if necessary but have no idea how long the off-gassing would take. Also, the apt. management said they can attach the carpet pad to the cement floor with nails so no glues would be used.Another choice is using linoleum flooring (not vinyl) which I understand still emits VOCs but a lot less than vinyl flooring. I read there are linoleum squares that lock together which would eliminate using toxic glues. What is the real difference between lineolum and vinyl for a sensitive person?The only other choice would be ceramic flooring which I know is the safest for people like me but the management does not want to install ceramic tile, unfortunately.I am pleased that the apt. management is willing to work with me on making the unit non-toxic. The carpet and pad was ripped out last weekend and now the apt. of airing out. I have only a few days to come up with a suggestion to them as to what kind of flooring to use. They are clueless as to what is toxic or not and are letting me figure it out and provide suggestions by the end of the week. You've always been so helpful to me in the past, so I'm turning to you again for guidance.Thanks so much for your help.Carol