RemedySpot.com

SV: Re: Fiberglass or cellulose

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hmmm … This makes no sense to me …

Artemiss 4597 wrote:

“ If cellulose gets wet forget it, it becomes a mold factory especially in hot and humid climates such as Fl. I have a sample of cellulose that never got wet but it is loaded with mold. “

Do you by this mean that the mold was

growing in the cellulose insulation before installation ? Or growing in the insulation without water ? (which is impossible…), or do you mean that it had not been water damaged or exposed to visible water ?

Or did you base your assessment of “loads of mold” on extracting deponated spores (from the ambient air) from the insulation and growing them ?

Because if there was “loads” of mold

growing in the insulation it has had to be wet enough to support mould growth.

If you used viable methods on exctracted spores you just showed that the insulation in a house work as a “filter” , which is quite normal in old,

and “not so airtight” houses …

We have been trying the best we can to grow mould in different types of insulation types under controlled conditions in the lab (and it is not

an easy task, belive me…)

Over and over I am met by people saying that mould growth is a big problem in insulation materials, but I have yet to be convinced…

Best regards

Ole Carlson

Mycoteam AS , Norway

Fra: iequality [mailto:iequality ]

På vegne av artemiss4597

Sendt: 23. januar 2012 13:22

Til: iequality

Emne: Re: Fiberglass or cellulose

I normally stay in the background but need to add my experience with cellulose and fiberglass. Both are problems depending upon the situation. If cellulose gets wet forget it, it becomes a mold factory especially in hot and humid climates such as Fl. I have

a sample of cellulose that never got wet but it is loaded with mold. Forget cellose or you will have mold no matter what the manufacturer says.

Fiberglass is a problem also, especially the blown-in type. If you have any holes into the living area, it will get into the living spacee by natural air flow. That includes electrical outlets too. Batts are better and do not do the same thing unless they are

disturbed. I have used Soy Foam with great results.

Safe Homes at http://safe-homes.com

> >

> > Hi Barb, Bill Holloway here

> >

> > I am not aware of Cellulose having any history of concern with breathing the fibers.

>